Skip to content

The X-Files

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited February 2016
    I think Gillian Anderson still looks fantastic. David Duchovny doesn't look bad for being in his 50's.

Apparently Mulder's ringtone is now the theme from the show. I about busted out when I heard that.

I've been using the X-Files theme as my ring tone for the last few years.

@jjstraka34 There have been "farce-esque" episodes before in X Files.

The funny episodes are my favorites. My favorite episode is Humbug.
    Post edited by Awong124 on
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    Awong124 said:

The funny episodes are my favorites. My favorite episode is Humbug.

Definitely "Bad Blood", written by Vince Gilligan btw, the Breaking Bad guy.
    The two POV from Scully and Mulder on what happend there are f... hilarious
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Skatan said:

Maybe even look at some of the older episodes again beforehand.

I'd recommend against doing that. I started binge watching the original series about 3 weeks ago. The shocking disparity between the actors then and now is jarring. I am really enjoying the re-boot, but I wish I had not watched the originals so close to the new stuff.

Thanks for the tip. I might reconsider then.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    im actually kinda enjoying the new x files series, never saw the original one, since I was a kid and not really into that, but I find this new series to be pretty decent so far, and then the show that is on afterwards called Lucifer, it pretty neat as well

Skatan said:

Maybe even look at some of the older episodes again beforehand.

I'd recommend against doing that. I started binge watching the original series about 3 weeks ago. The shocking disparity between the actors then and now is jarring. I am really enjoying the re-boot, but I wish I had not watched the originals so close to the new stuff.
    I've actually been watching stuff with David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson between the end of the old X-Files and the new series, so their changes were more gradual for me. There was also the X-Files movie in 2008. I watched Californication, The Fall, Crisis, Hannibal, and a few episodes of Aquarius.
    sarevok57 said:

im actually kinda enjoying the new x files series, never saw the original one, since I was a kid and not really into that, but I find this new series to be pretty decent so far, and then the show that is on afterwards called Lucifer, it pretty neat as well

I'm liking Lucifer as well. The actor who plays Lucifer does a great job.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Awong124 said:

I've actually been watching stuff with David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson between the end of the old X-Files and the new series, so their changes were more gradual for me. There was also the X-Files movie in 2008. I watched Californication, The Fall, Crisis, Hannibal, and a few episodes of Aquarius.

Cool. Glad that works for you. :smile:

For me it isn't a deal breaker, but it took some getting use to seeing the age disparity. But then again I was literally going from 1993 - 2016 in the space of two hours. It was kind of like a "Where are they now" sort of thing.

In any case, I'm looking forward to more and hope that it gets picked up again as a full(ish) series.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    X-Files characters as D&D players?????

Scully: A doctor, so there is some crossover between her and clerics or wizards. Alien DNA makes her a half elf? :)
    Mulder: Inquisitor, because he always finds the truth
    Skinner: Paladin. Lawful Good type for sure
    Alex Krycek: Blackguard for sure
    Cigarette Smoking Man: Necromancer because all this dude does is resurrect stuff
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2016
    I would say the Cigarette Smoking Man is under the same curse as the Nameless One from Planescape... the guy just can't stay dead :)
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    mlnevese said:

I would say the Cigarette Smoking Man is under the same curse as the Nameless One from Planescpae... the guy just can't stay dead :)

I wish I could give an insightful WITH an agree. Perfect comparison.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    No TV, so I haven't caught any of the new series. The chemistry between Anderson and Duchovney off-screen the last few years has been great to see - even if fans do like to read too much into it! Given rumors of how badly they got along, back in the heyday, I am hoping that corresponds to a warmer portrayal on-screen. That said, great actors will sell their roles, regardless of off-screen tension (which can actually be helpful sometimes too!)
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Don't need a tv. If you have a computer you can watch the episodes from the Fox website.

No TV, so I haven't caught any of the new series. The chemistry between Anderson and Duchovney off-screen the last few years has been great to see - even if fans do like to read too much into it! Given rumors of how badly they got along, back in the heyday, I am hoping that corresponds to a warmer portrayal on-screen. That said, great actors will sell their roles, regardless of off-screen tension (which can actually be helpful sometimes too!)

Way off topic here, but if anyone ever watched 'Remington Steele' back in the 80s (yes, I am dating myself), apparently Pierce Brosnan and Stephanie Zimblist did not get along at all. They were apparently always 'Getting' at each other on set and yet they had to portray this love interest dynamic.

As far as it goes, I gather that Duchovney and Anderson got to be great friends. I didn't know there was any antagonism early on, but towards the end I understand that they were great pals. Or so I've been lead to believe.

Thanks @CoM_Solaufein - just caught the first episode, will catch the rest shortly :)

One episode in, and I will already claim the problem is that the season is too short! The problem is that this should not have been an opening episode, this would have been a great mid-season-semi-finale, and we really needed to get a little more time to catch up with the characters first, and get to know them again.

Still looking forward to catching up with the rest of the run.

(I was never a huge Xphile in the first place though, got bored after the second season - but supernatural shows are not my milieu of choice, so certainly no reflection on the show itself - I can still see why others love it)
    Wow, that was unexpected. Just hit this news story, after watching the first episode on Fox online:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35506000

I was not particularly aware of this astronaut until he was referenced (in passing, no spoiler) in that episode.
    Scully on the Irenicus file

Ok, six episodes is not enough, I'm sorry. The main storyline has essentially gone nowhere so far. They need to extend this!

One episode in, and I will already claim the problem is that the season is too short! The problem is that this should not have been an opening episode, this would have been a great mid-season-semi-finale, and we really needed to get a little more time to catch up with the characters first, and get to know them again.

I agree that six episodes is just not enough. But at least they are pitching it as "The final episode of the season" instead of the series.

I read somewhere that they made a conscious decision to 'Book end' the conspiracy components such that you got stuff at the beginning and the ending and then 'other' stuff in the middle. I suppose this was done because of the shortness of the season. I agree that given only 6 episodes they didn't have much choice but I would have preferred even 12/13 episodes and things scattered throughout. Maybe "Next season"??

I did read that Duchovney and Anderson both didn't want a full season. I don't know if that was initially or ever. I guess we will find out when/if it gets renewed.

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Good episode, even if the allegory was a bit heavy-handed.
    I thought it was the weakest episode so far. I agree with FinneousPJ that they tried to force ties to the William storyline, and it ended up coming across as very hamfisted. I also did not find the monster very interesting.
    On the flip side of things, I felt that this episode was much more like the classic episodes than any of the others thus far. I particularly liked the fact that they got the same actress to play Scully's mother as we had seen in the past. And I thought that the "monster of the week" was in a lot of ways similar to any number of monster story lines from the classic series.
    so I completely missed what happened on this weeks episode, I only saw the end with scully and buddy sitting outside and scully was all emotional, would someone care to chip in what happened?
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @sarevok57
    [SPOILER]Scully's mother died for natural causes, which is very sad. I really liked her character.
    As for the rest, Mulder and Scully had to deal with a trash-monster. And for trash, I mean garbage. Nothing related to the Smoking Man and the mythology.[/SPOILER]
    edited February 2016

I thought it was the weakest episode so far. I agree with FinneousPJ that they tried to force ties to the William storyline, and it ended up coming across as very hamfisted. I also did not find the monster very interesting.

I didn't like this episode very much either.

My problem with it is that there was no real resolution with the creature. It did its thing, completed its mission, then it went away. The explanation that the artist somehow willed it into existence was kind of stupid.

sarevok57 said:

so I completely missed what happened on this weeks episode, I only saw the end with scully and buddy sitting outside and scully was all emotional, would someone care to chip in what happened?

Sounds like you need a PVR.
    Awong124 said:

My problem with it is that there was no real resolution with the creature. It did its thing, completed its mission, then it went away. The explanation that the artist somehow willed it into existence was kind of stupid.

For me this episode felt very much like
    the original series episode Kaddish. In many ways there were parallels with that episode.

But I get that these are subjective opinions on the show and may have different points of view.
    Awong124 said:

sarevok57 said:

Sounds like you need a PVR.
    naw, I barely if ever watch tv, the only shows I really watch are x-files every once in a while and Lucifer, im actually more excited for Lucifer than x-files at the moment

Awong124 said:

For me this episode felt very much like
    the original series episode Kaddish. In many ways there were parallels with that episode.

But I get that these are subjective opinions on the show and may have different points of view.
    I only very vaguely remember that episode. But if it was similar to this last episode like you said, I probably didn't like it very much either, and it didn't make an impression on me. After googling it, the thing I remember most about that episode was thinking that the actress in it was in an episode of Seinfeld. The one where she and Jerry can have conversations with no awkward pauses. She was dating George, and they go to India for Sue-Ellen Mischky's wedding. I think it was The Betrayal, or the backwards episode.
    @Awong124 - I am about to admit a blasphemy. I never liked Seinfeld.

But it's all cool (as far as X-files). I fully admit that my like of the episode is highly subjective. I respect that others may feel differently.

@Awong124 - I am about to admit a blasphemy. I never liked Seinfeld.

I feel the same way, I was never able to get into that show

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited February 2016
    They haven't touched upon the themes of the first episode since maybe 10 minutes into the second one. There has been alot about William, a really good goofball episode, and a fairly pedestrian monster of the week episode in the meantime. Just not sure where this is going at the moment. It's been a solid C+ so far in my opinion, I'm hoping I can raise it to a B- once it's all said and done. It really seemed like after Founder's Mutation it was going to be a succinct 6-part episodic story, but it's completely detoured the last two episodes. I can forgive the third because it was so clever and fun, but I have no idea where the last one fits into anything at all.
    I read an article early on where they said specifically that the 'Conspiracy' components would be in the first episode and the last and that everything in between would be basically 'One off' episodes.

While it would have been really nice to see a full on 'Children of Earth' type story, they just weren't planning on that type of thing (more is the shame in my subjective view). While I get that there were fans of both styles of episodes, I would have thought that a tight coherent story of some sort would have served better than what we got.

Still enjoying it though.