Skip to content

The X-Files

TwentyTwenty Member Posts: 52
edited January 2016 in Off-Topic
No thread about this yet, I noticed. Are there no fans of this series here?

Episode 3 banter!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isPl0qs7TAs&feature=youtu.be&t=10

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Thy called?

I love The X-Files series. During this summer, I watched all the episodes and I fell in love with Mulder and Scully.
    Some days ago, I watched the first two episodes of the new series (they have been already dubbed in Italian) and I found them amazing. The second episode is so great, compelling and touching.
    I am glad they are back and I hope to see something more than just 6 episodes.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2016
    I found the first two episodes of this mini series to be pretty mediocre to be honest (particularly the second episode).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I am finding it a bit painful to watch the actors being so much older. But then that happens to us all (Scully is actually younger than I am).

I really want the show to come back full time. I personally think that they aren't quite there with the new series but am giving it time to grow on me. Three more episodes, so yay. I personally love the conspiracy episodes the best so I hope that they get back there before the end.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    It's a decent nostalgia trip. I like that they kept the original title sequence. It was always one of those shows (like Unsolved Mysteries and Rescue 911) that felt best when you were watching it alone at 3 in the morning. I'm not sure about the overarching theme of the mini-series, but I've never been very sure about any large-scale direction the show has taken. It's already well past the point of making any sense over the course of the entire series, the movies, and now the re-boot. I just find the show very watchable and enjoyable. And I have heard that the third episode is actually the straight up "monster" episode, which I agree were always far better than the alien or conspiracy ones....
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I saw the first episode of this new series and I thought it was pretty decent, never saw the original though, the show actually looks good enough that I would watch it, but I don't watch tv often if ever basically so ohs wells
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    The Truth is Out There

Was a big fan of the original (though I do think the mythology got overly convoluted). Like the rebirth/reboot so far. Not sure if I like all the (apparent?) retconning, but I am sure that I have found the first two episodes entertaining.

I know @mlnevese is also a fan.

Eh, conspiracy ones are boooriing! :u Looking forward to some monsters! ^_^

@typo_tilly I am actually the opposite entirely :) I feel as though other shows (Buffy, Supernatural) did "Monster of the Week" stuff better. I liked some monster episodes, was indifferent toward most and disliked only a few, but I really loved X-Files for the alien conspiracy stuff.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I really liked the X Files but I think this return has failed to grab the current paranoia with the Internet, privacy, etc. If you want to have an idea of current conspiracy theories read www.fstdt.net and lose whatever faith in humanity you still have :)
    @Shandyr The answer is quite a spoiler. Do you really want it?
    I think Joel McHale's character is very interesting and feel organic, like a real-life conspiracy nut. However, I do feel a little dirty rooting for "Good-Looking Alex Jones"
    @Shandyr

The world didn't end in 2012 :). There are no aliens, it's all the government. The real aliens were worried with our use of nuclear weapons and when one of their ships fell the government reverse engineered the technology and started doing tests using alien DNA on humans.
    mlnevese said:

I really liked the X Files but I think this return has failed to grab the current paranoia with the Internet, privacy, etc. If you want to have an idea of current conspiracy theories read www.fstdt.net and lose whatever faith in humanity you still have :)

Well, TBH, we haven't seen The Lone Gunmen yet sooooo....

As far as the retcon is concerned, they did it enough in the original series that it doesn't bother me "That much". I have enough faith in the writers that they will at least give some explanation for the changes. Beyond that, any show that lasts 10 years has a certain amount of it.

I am kind of torn between the conspiracy episodes and the one off episodes. among my favorites were "Clive Bruckman's final repose" and "War of the coprophages", but I also love all of the episodes with Deep Throat and CSM and Krycheck and the alien bounty hunter. It's all good stuff.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

Last episode was absolutely hilarious! One of the most enjoyable episodes of TV I have seen in a long, long time.

are you talking about the one that was on tonight? with the reptile dude?
    I admit that I really liked last night's episode. I felt that the whole tongue and cheek approach to the story was absolutely brilliant. I particularly liked the scene
    in the graveyard.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,183
    I used to have a ringtone just like Mulder's. :)
    Apparently Mulder's ringtone is now the theme from the show. I about busted out when I heard that.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    The episode was almost a farce, and put Mulder in a role he's never really occupied. I'm almost certain this will end up being what people remember about this six episode run, unless the government conspiracy flim flam ends up being far more memorable than I'm anticipating at this point.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @jjstraka34 There have been "farce-esque" episodes before in X Files.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    They're old. I'm a big fan mind you, but perhaps its best not to have resurrected this series.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Old fan, at least of the first ~4 seasons or so (don't remember when he leaves), up to Mulder's disappearence.

Looking forward to the reboot, haven't seen any of it yet. Will probably wait 'til it's fully released so I can binge watch it. Maybe even look at some of the older episodes again beforehand.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    Pecca said:

What ringtone is that?

Haven't watched the new series yet. I'm wondering if Duchovny will make reappearance for the new Twin Peaks season(2017) too. Would be awesome :smiley:
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,183
    Yamcha said:

Pecca said:

What ringtone is that?
    It's the music theme of the X-files.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    The third episode aired yesterday in Italy. I enjoyed it a lot!
    Just three other episodes... I need MOAR!
    Skatan said:

Maybe even look at some of the older episodes again beforehand.

I'd recommend against doing that. I started binge watching the original series about 3 weeks ago. The shocking disparity between the actors then and now is jarring. I am really enjoying the re-boot, but I wish I had not watched the originals so close to the new stuff.