Skip to content

Can men giggle?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited February 2016 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. Can men giggle?30 votes
    1. yes
      70.00%
    2. no
      10.00%
    3. -other response-
      16.67%
    4. DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.
        3.33%

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Sexist!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2016
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'd like to link http://absolutewrite.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-113757.html, from several answers there it looks like men post-puberty don't giggle. Unless they're extremely feminine and make a point to. They chuckle, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2016
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    What about the term " I giggled my ass off", I use that one at least twice a day. Giggling is gender neutral dude.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Ah you think giggling is your ally? You merely adopted giggling. I was born in it, molded by it.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Yes

Source: has previously giggled many times
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    That would depend on what you define as giggling. A silly laughter isn't uncommon.
    I generally either stay silent or just laugh like a madman though.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    A hearty chortle wouldn't be uncommon for me when I do laugh. Don't think I've ever giggled, though. I suppose it depends on the person and what you define as giggling.

Would you define giggle as something like this (around 0:28 and again at 2:38):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq9_bSa4E8A
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    It doesn't happen often, but when something *really* amuses me, I turn into a world-class giggler.
  • TwentyTwenty Member Posts: 52
    Us men can giggle all we want, surely? Wait, what was your-
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    Feed me enough drinks...
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    Can men giggle?

::tee hee heeh::

Umm, no, never.

Interestingly enough, I can't recall the last time I heard a guy giggle unless it was on a TV sit com or something. In fact, I can't recall the last time I heard a woman giggle. Yet I'm sure both genders do so. Odd.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgWYt0YtSFc is proof that they can.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Yes we can.

We don't do so very often though. In fact, I hardly hear giggling at all but for groups of teen girls doing it when they're together. It makes them look like the least depressed people in the world, but it could be just window-dressing and there's lots of anxiety underneath, that's not shown in public. I wouldn't know though, have never been a teen girl myself.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I can't say whether I giggle or chuckle.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I have a recollection of a scenario similar to this in the past—were words are used differently depending on gender. Certain words we attribute as either feminine or masculine. Beautiful and handsome, for example. Beautiful when referring to a woman, while handsome when referring to a man. Though both words are synonyms of each other (depending on where you look), meaning attractive, most people tend to use the gendered approach. I dare say the only time I've heard "she was very handsome," the person who said it was derided for the use of the word.

Maybe chuckling is like giggling?

Google shows similar pattern of synonyms when doing a search for giggle.
    synonyms: titter, snigger, snicker, tee-hee, give a half-suppressed laugh, chuckle, chortle;
    Other sources such as the Oxford English Dictionary, Collins English Dictionary, and Merriam-Webster all list chuckle, chortle, and giggle as being synonymous. So either very closely related or meaning the same thing.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I can force myself to giggle but instinctively when I laugh my voice goes very deep. So not really giggling.
  • biffyclangerbiffyclanger Member Posts: 216
    Depends if we are talking about men and women in terms of gender norms believed to exist for societies/cultures or concrete physical entities that exist with observable behaviors. I think that in literature we tend to use the word giggle predominately for females and chuckle as the male equivalent. Maybe because giggling has strong association with feminine wiles. This distinction reveals more about societal rules than is in itself interesting. So I am going to go against the grain here and say No, not because I endorse such distinctions but to highlight the fact they do exist for vast majority of us.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited February 2016
    @semiticgod Your post made me COL (Ceckle Out Loud)
This discussion has been closed.