Skip to content

How do you discern when you're plate is fill

DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
So, let me start by saying that I'd never think that I'd be asking this type of question on a video game forum, so it seems like I respect all of your opinions, thoughts, and ideas more than I normally would when it comes to me hanging round forums based on video game.

Ok, that might have came out wrong, so let me just so the question... how do you discern when you have a full plate and need to stop at something? I've found this year to be one f if not my most active years I've ever actually had... Four college courses, three studios that I have to do out of class (one is for printmaking and if you know anything about that then you know how long that stuff takes.) Mixing paint for one of my instructors, being referred to by another to have some of my work in another show, and being approached by for even another show and project by another instructor, and now I got referred to by a instructor to volunteer at the Art Papers auction which I'm told is the biggest art selling in the country.

I was already feeling swamped with four classes and three studios, but it seems the things keep piling up, and saying no just doesn't seem to be a smart career move right now, but how much is usually too much?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    As long as it doesn't stop you in visiting this forum, it's fine ;)
    Although it never stops me... You know, the work schedule can wait while we're disccussing XP from traps and locks, or wait, now we're discussing sorcerer spells, and how could I forget the X-files...

To speak seriously, when I have a lot of work to do, I need those pauses, when I can completely switch things I'm thinking about, and this forum is the best option to let me do so. As for a lot of things to do, try to create a schedule, write all the tasks and think how much time are you ready (or able) to give this or that task. It should help.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @bengoshi
    Ever since I was little, my was trpped in a single state of mind; got to sleep at 12am, wake up at 1 am. I've been that way for years. When I usually play games is the early hours so I try to find escape time even if it kills me. As long as I have my cell phone and have to take/wait for public transportation; I'll lways be ghosting the forums.

Seriously though, I do need to to schedule my time better, but the biggest consumer of time for me is the fact I do have to move around by public transportation instead of having a car. Its even worse when I'm carrying large pieces of artwork with me.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Well DragonKing , I believe that as long as it is what you want for your life and it is NOT affecting your health (nothing is worth an ulcer, depression, severe gain/loss of weight) , then it's okay to go through an intense phase every now and then.

However, I would also remind you and everyone else that, no matter what country you live in, we are living in a society where not being productive is taken as a sin. We are lead to believe that we have to produce, we have to consume and we have to be happy all the time. Technology couldn't be faster and we still feel like we don't have time to do stuff. We answer our clients' requests at 2am, a time we are supposed to be home doing something else.

So my advice is to know your limits and don't feel guilty if you find out you need time to relax , to stand idle and just recover your energies.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Saying no is a smart career move though. If you spread yourself too thin, you will not be able to put in the effort you need to do a job properly, leaving a negative impression with the people that asked for help.

A polite "thank you for the offer, but... ... if you need of me in the future, I will definitely consider it." is a good way to keep the door open to future with the people you are turning down.

Only you know how much is too much though. Once other priorities start to suffer because of your involvement is a good time to step back and re-evaluate the commitments you took on.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited February 2016
    For me signs that my plate is full are obvious. I become very restless, hectic and agitated, alternated with feelings of total exhaustion and I need to step it down fest or I get a serious depression again. For people who are mentally healthy, it's different. They can put strain on themselves for longer time without suffering adverse effects. But people who are healthy can become mentally ill as well. 1 in 4 people suffer from some kind of mental illness each year, depression and burnouts being most common. Only 1,5 % suffer from severe and chronic mental disorders like I do for instance, so I wouldn't worry about that, but I would care about your mental health. Growing ill is not fun.

Look for signs that the stress is too much. Sleeping bad might be a signal, pain and stiffness in the neck and shoulders could be one, becoming angry at people and having a shorter fuse than normal might be one. Take your own mental well-being seriously, is my advice and get to know your own signals of stress.

Sleeping bad might be a signal, pain and stiffness in the neck and shoulders could be one, becoming angry at people and having a shorter fuse than normal .

@Son_of_Imoen that sounds like my default setting honestly.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

Sleeping bad might be a signal, pain and stiffness in the neck and shoulders could be one, becoming angry at people and having a shorter fuse than normal .

@Son_of_Imoen that sounds like my default setting honestly.
    Ergo the answer to the question posted in the last sentence of your OP, can only be: that much as you're doing now is too much. And even from an economical and career perspective it isn't a sound plan to do so much that a mental collapse lurks round the corner. You can't build a career when you're locked indoors by having exhausted your own energy and suffering a burnout. Step it down and take care of yourself.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I'll mirror what a few others have said. The ability to know when to say no is probably one of the most important business skills out there. There will always be people who will pile more stuff on top of you, particularly if you are the type that finds a way to make them happen. You really need to learn to internally prioritize and determine if you are overloading. Otherwise you will end up a doormat and not a valuable employee.

but you need to temper that with not being a slacker either. it is often a very fine line to walk figuring out exactly where to call quits and where to keep on. The human body is capable of amazing feats of endurance under the right circumstances and sometimes life will throw more things at you than you ever thought you could handle, yet you do.

For some the solution is to work out a schedule and stick to it. Map out times specifically for certain fun activities and fit them in. Make sure that you eat properly and get enough rest (whatever that means for you personally) and let that be a guideline.

If you end up having nightmares about the stuff on your plate, you really need to start thinking about cutting back. I've had nights where I dreamed about lines of code chasing me. I knew that was a breaking point.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Remember to get enough physical exercise, that helps with stress!
    Thanks for ll the replies.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I know my plate is full when it gives me a base AC of 1 rather than 3.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @OlvynChuru I was thinking along the same lines when I read the header :D
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Have a :cookie: for all your hard work, DK!
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Full Plate and packing STEEL!
    @Nimran
    Please no food jokes, I still starve around here sometimes.