Skip to content

Things that make you go "Hmmm..."

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited September 2012
    tilly said:

I always wondered why the gods said I won the final battle. I mean, I beat on the final boss with the help of five companions. 6 against 1? :/ How was my win fair? Eh, the gods are probably just jerks.

Yeah, it really breaks immersion when no one else seems to realize your companions exist. This also happens in other games where your party isn't fixed. For example, in Fallout: New Vegas, NPCs would greet my character with awe and attribute mighty deeds of battle to her even though I was roleplaying a helpless noncombatant who hid behind Boone and never fired a single shot. Felt especially bad when one character used my supposed deeds as proof that the Legion's sexist views against women in combat were wrong. >_<
    tilly said:

And when I first played, I named my character Cyric. I gotta say, I was so bloody confused when I found the "Cyric holy symbol" on one of the early bosses. For the life of me, I never could figure out why the symbol was named after me or how it tied into the game. n.n'

That's pretty funny. I actually tried naming my characters after Imoen, etc. in hopes of finding some Easter egg reactions, but no dice. Dialogues got really confusing, though.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    The kind of surprise that cannot be unseen...
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490

BG - How the *hell* did those two weak assassins in the prologue get into Candlekeep? With their uber-rare tome? Oh well they snuck in. Really? REALLY? They are like 1st level thieves. Gorion is right -- It's NOT safe here... At all! I guess they could have had help, in theory... but man, send someone better lol.

I may be wrong, but didn't Candlekeep have that entry policy of "bring a book, you're free to enter and try to kill the kids" kinda thing happening? I always assumed that Carbos and Shank rocked up with a copy of ABC for Barbarians tucked under the arm stolen from their local library and were welcomed with open arms...or dangerous indifference, as the case may be...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2012
    I think it's more probable they were someone's servants. The price of the book necessary for entrance in Candlekeep (somewhere between 5000 and 10000 gold) is much higher than he reward for your head in this point of the game.

Also doesn't CHARNAME mentions one of them smelled like the stables? Or is that a BG1 NPC Project dialogue? Long time since I last played BG1 without it.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    If you think about it Golems are created by indivdual "artists" so some of them might actually be anatomically correct...depending on the penchant of the creator...
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited September 2012
    @Immagikman There is a comic called "Ironwood" where one of the characters is a iron golem sculpted into female form and made to look and feel human. The Golem is the short-haired one.

Image is NSFW: http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/9116/841902-4_super.jpg
  • ramagonsramagons Member Posts: 96
    The mentally ill gnome near the abandoned ship hulk warned you that if you wore the cursed ring, you would woodle too. In real life, the mentally ill do not woodle. They suffer in a variety of ways that severely impact their day-to-day functioning regarding job performance and forming relationships.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    There are not many moments that truly make no sense to me, but here's a big one for me:

BG2: The use of unlicensed magic is a felony offense in the city of Athkatla. Are you going to sit here and tell me that every single NPC in the game, from Level 1 - Max, CE - LG, all races, have a license sanctioned by the Cowled Wizards? I think not.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Anduine

I always figured most evil wizards would be drawn to join the organization to both go after their opposition and so that they can accomplish their own desires behind the scenes.
    @Anduine What irked me about the magic ban is that if you use magic in town (usually it's me casting knock on a locked door because I can't pick it) you get a warning the first time. Why did they have to bust poor Imoen right away? All she did was cast magic missile at Irenicus, who had already killed several people with his magic in plain sight at that point. She should have said she was trying to make a citizen's arrest or something...

(Yes, I know it's integral to the plot... leave me alone) ;P
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Hmmm I think they blamed her for destroying a part of the city in that part :)
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    If you're playing an evil and strong party, can you just slaughter the Cowled Wizards wholesale?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    CaptRory said:

If you're playing an evil and strong party, can you just slaughter the Cowled Wizards wholesale?

Yes, you can do, They stop attacking after about 3 waves.

So if Irenicus had kept fighting, like, two more minutes there'd have been no game.

Once you beat them like... a beatie thing, do they come back the next tie you use magic or is that it?
    Well my point was, if he kept killing them they'd have left him alone and then he could've killed the party.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416

@Anduine

I always figured most evil wizards would be drawn to join the organization to both go after their opposition and so that they can accomplish their own desires behind the scenes.

I can agree on that motive if it were some, but not all. From the lowest mageling in a small-time gang to the highest level caster, every single one of them are all sanctioned by the Cowled Wizards, and while I do sometimes defend plot reasons, this one is just pure bullshit. At the least there should be a hidden dice roll each time an opposing NPC casts an arcane spell to determine whether or not the Cowled Wizards respond to it. They can lob fireballs and spit out cloudkills, but I can't even use arcane magic to protect myself, dispel, or return the favour? Bah!

@Anduine What irked me about the magic ban is that if you use magic in town (usually it's me casting knock on a locked door because I can't pick it) you get a warning the first time. Why did they have to bust poor Imoen right away? All she did was cast magic missile at Irenicus, who had already killed several people with his magic in plain sight at that point. She should have said she was trying to make a citizen's arrest or something...

(Yes, I know it's integral to the plot... leave me alone) ;P

Plot reason aside, I agree. They were both charged with the same level of offense, even though their degrees were on COMPLETELY opposite sides. One is a murderer, and the other did nothing but cast a level 1 spell AGAINST the murderer.

• MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Jalily said:

That's pretty funny. I actually tried naming my characters after Imoen, etc. in hopes of finding some Easter egg reactions, but no dice. Dialogues got really confusing, though.

Lol, reminds me of how in BG1, when you took the same picture as an NPC, they gave that NPC a different picture, but I believe as of BG2, that doesn't happen (at least, it doesn't seem to happen in my BG Tutu). So if you happen to have picked the same portrait as an NPC (and since all but a couple are, that's quite easy to do...) you'll end up with two people with the same portrait. Gets a little confusing.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367

Jalily said:

Lol, reminds me of how in BG1, when you took the same picture as an NPC, they gave that NPC a different picture, but I believe as of BG2, that doesn't happen (at least, it doesn't seem to happen in my BG Tutu). So if you happen to have picked the same portrait as an NPC (and since all but a couple are, that's quite easy to do...) you'll end up with two people with the same portrait. Gets a little confusing.
    I remember years ago If I wanted a portrait that another NPC had I would change it right before I got them, so they would still have their original portrait, and then I would change mine back, so I had the same one...
    You're right though, the only way I could tell it apart was just based on who was in the leadership position.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    I wanna rock right now. I wanna rock right now. I wanna I wanna I wanna I wanna I wanna rock right now.
    Some other things about the Cowled Wizards:

So they either have some kind of 'magic detector' or spies in every corner of the city at all times of the day who can communicate with them instantaneously (without magic because there couldn't be that many mages around). So they invented CCTV and/or cell phones but still have nothing better to do than hassle me?

They can somehow tell the difference between a spell and a wand despite the effect being the same. They can also tell the difference between a divine or arcane spell, despite the fact that if they were using commoners as lookouts the differences would be very difficult for the average person to spot.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,196
    If you don't take Yoshimo to your party when going to spellhold and then you finally rescue Imoen with full party, you have an amazing dialog option telling her: I'm sorry, but I don't have a room for you in my party...
    I mean seriously, look how it's crowded around here Immy, you must find a way home yourself...:) poor girl
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

Some other things about the Cowled Wizards:

So they either have some kind of 'magic detector' or spies in every corner of the city at all times of the day who can communicate with them instantaneously (without magic because there couldn't be that many mages around). So they invented CCTV and/or cell phones but still have nothing better to do than hassle me?

They can somehow tell the difference between a spell and a wand despite the effect being the same. They can also tell the difference between a divine or arcane spell, despite the fact that if they were using commoners as lookouts the differences would be very difficult for the average person to spot.

Scrying magic.
  • ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    edited September 2012
    About the cowled wizards arresting imoen without a warning:
    1) imagine you happen to witness a murder... you draw your gun and fire a shot at the murderer, but miss him. The police comes. What would you think they do? Give you a first warning?
    I mean, of course she got arrested; she was right there when a mass murdering happened AND casted a spell

2) there are almost no fights against mages on the open street in BG2. Most of the battles happen inside houses where the cowled wizards don't give a shit about anymore. They just arrest magic users casting on the streets (maybe due to them being a non-governmental institution and thus not being allowed to interfere on private grounds?) ... in fact, only the inter-map-ambushes happen on the open street. Where else can you find a mage battle outside of buildings?

About perma-death:
    I'd say its gameplay and story segregation, as already mentioned. One could also say that Khalid can't be ressurected because he is already dead for too long. Of course, when an npc dies, you can keep him in your group as long as you want without ressurecting him, but this is pretty much done for gameplay purposes.
    In games like Pool of Radiance, dead characters get "negative health" the longer they are dead, making them harder to get ressurected and eventually perma-kill them.

About Imoen:
    Gameplay and story segregation, pretty much. There's this dialogue mentioned between Sarevok and her, so I think you can count that in.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Why IS Alora in BG2's game files?
  • TherasTaneelTherasTaneel Member Posts: 5

One could also say that Khalid can't be ressurected because he is already dead for too long.

Although in this case the body is too badly mutilated to resurrect according to Jaheira, sad really...

Plus you don't know what could have happened past "normal" mutilation. He could've been poisoned, cursed, alchemically tainted, had things implanted into his body... Irenicus is a Bad Guy.

Which reminds me, anyone else wish there as a Wood Chipper spell to keep enemies from being easily ressurected?