Skip to content

Things that make you go "Hmmm..."

Comments

• IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    "IWD1 - How can Hrothgar, a legendary high-level adventurer, be killed in an avalanche in the Kuldahar pass while my 1st level mage with 4 hit points survives without a scratch? In fact my whole party is fine. Whew!"

That's explained in the clip that follows, they ran back - your party ran foward. Safe to assume Hrothgar either has poor wisdom or your party was less eager to give up on their chance for adventure and charged onwards.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644

A drunken orgy with Thalantyr and the flesh golems? I'm not surprised no one wants to talk about it.

Better an orgy with Flesh Golems then with Iron Golems says I.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600

A drunken orgy with Thalantyr and the flesh golems? I'm not surprised no one wants to talk about it.

*Fleshlight
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2012

I couldn't have an orgy with Iron Golems. My weapon isn't +3.

Mine causes bleeding.

Edit: god that's pretty crass ...
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644

Mine causes bleeding.

At least an Iron Golem doesn't have to worry about erectile dysfunction as he gets older
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

Mine causes bleeding.

At least an Iron Golem doesn't have to worry about erectile dysfunction as he gets older
    Yeah all they have to worry about is rusting... I'd rather have an erectile dysfunction, I think :)
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    whats the topic again.....?
    mch202 said:

whats the topic again.....?

Isn't this the golem orgy topic?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Isair said:

"IWD1 - How can Hrothgar, a legendary high-level adventurer, be killed in an avalanche in the Kuldahar pass while my 1st level mage with 4 hit points survives without a scratch? In fact my whole party is fine. Whew!"

That's explained in the clip that follows, they ran back - your party ran foward. Safe to assume Hrothgar either has poor wisdom or your party was less eager to give up on their chance for adventure and charged onwards.

So in other words, Hrothgar sent your party ahead as arrow fodder, and it bit him in the ass - LOL.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    edited September 2012
    BG1: The guy that gives you the Golden Pantaloons to be cleaned. If you click on him again you return them to him. If you're polite he even gives you 50 gold. What the heck? I didn't even move from when you gave them to me, how could I have cleaned them?

SPOILERS AHEAD

BG1&2: So the meta-reason why the game ends when CHARNAME dies is that their 'essence' returns to Bhaal and renders the primary plot moot. What about Imoen? Does the game assume that she never died in BG1? What about if she dies in BG2 after getting her essence back? Nobody ever seems to mention it in TOB when it might be important... Also, why does it matter if you die in the second half of BG2? You don't even have the essence anymore since Irenicus stole it from you until you get it back at the end.

BG1: The intro movie shows Sarevok offing some poor schmuck Bhaalspawn. He delivers the line "I will be the last; and you will go first..." OK, so his motive is killing off all the other Bhaalspawn. That's why he ambushed you coming out of Candlekeep and killed Gorion. And after you ran away he just... shrugged his shoulders and tried to take over the region using the Iron Throne? He wanted CHARNAME dead badly enough to travel to Candlekeep, but not enough to chase after you when you ran? And why did he bother with the whole Iron Throne thing anyway? If he was intent on killing off the other Children, wouldn't that be a giant waste of his time and draw attention from random good-aligned adventurers?
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279

ramagons said:

Every time the party goes from high hedge to beregost, there's a lost couple hours for the drunken orgy. What happens at High Hedge, stays at High Hedge.

They swing past the right hand side of the Beregost Temple as well... brings a whole new meaning to the term "wolf pack".
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279

Juggernaught Golem = Lex Steele.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    edited September 2012

BG1: The intro movie shows Sarevok offing some poor schmuck Bhaalspawn. He delivers the line "I will be the last; and you will go first..." OK, so his motive is killing off all the other Bhaalspawn. That's why he ambushed you coming out of Candlekeep and killed Gorion. And after you ran away he just... shrugged his shoulders and tried to take over the region using the Iron Throne? He wanted CHARNAME dead badly enough to travel to Candlekeep, but not enough to chase after you when you ran? And why did he bother with the whole Iron Throne thing anyway? If he was intent on killing off the other Children, wouldn't that be a giant waste of his time and draw attention from random good-aligned adventurers?

I know this thread is "just for fun" but I think in the BG1 tweak pack there's a revamped Sarevok's journal that adds answers to this and many more questions in a very satisfactory manner. Great contribution.

@HaHaCharade

Great points! I always wondered about those assassins myself. How did they get in? What happened? If you're going to go through the trouble of smuggling someone into Candlekeep, why make it a couple of untrained, useless fighters? Is Sarevok playing with you? Is he taunting Gorion, saying "You're not safe anywhere?" Or maybe it's because Sarevok is AI. AI makes stupid decisions LOL

Also, I assume your username is a Pink Floyd reference?
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Maybe it was simply to provoke Gorion into leaving Candlekeep with the PC? I can't see why that would be preferable to just killing the protagonist off immediately though.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    I believe that Shank and Carbos were acting on their own, not on Sarevoks orders. Didn't one of them mention something about getting the bounty money for killing you? I guess Sarevok sent out his bounty notices first, and only after some time, when no one came to collect, he decided he needed to move his rear and get the deed done himself. ;)
    How did the two morons get into Candlekeep... well, they DO admit visitors there - rich, influential visitors who can afford the 'entry fee in kind'. People like that usually don't travel alone - they have guards and servants accompanying them. So all the would-be assassins had to do was to get hired as horse boys of laundry girls and get in the castle this way. ;P

As for why Sarevok didn't pursue Charname that fateful night, well, he knew that Charname was injured - an injured, lonely 'kid' lost in a wolf- and gibberling- infested forest at night - that's as good as dead, in most cases. Why would he waste time and effort searching for him?
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Redcoat said:

Most of these are examples of Gameplay and Story Segregation

For instance:

Viconia is murdered by her vengeful kin in her ToB ending if the PC romanced her. Why doesn't he just haul her down to the nearest temple and fork over a few thousand gold to resurrect her?
    Yeah, this
    Ressurection flow
    as I call it can spoil many stories. That's why workarounds are made if someone has to
    die permanently
    , workarounds such as
    Soul Bind
    spell.
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    elminster said:

When I went from Beregost to Naskel it took 12 hours of walking, but when I went back from Naskel to Beregost it only took 8 hours.

Simple explanation is, you found no traffic on your way back.

• kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    Moradin said:

elminster said:

When I went from Beregost to Naskel it took 12 hours of walking, but when I went back from Naskel to Beregost it only took 8 hours.

Jet stream.
    Moradin said:

elminster said:

Aliens? Well they explain everything with Aliens in History Channel, so why not in Baldur's Gate?
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Favorable tailwind, and Minsc's boot in your backside. ;)
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    - why do I have to rest 8h to memorize some silly lvl 1 spells as lvl 20?

- why doesn't winged lizzards just fly away and maybe drop rocks in my head? Instead they stay on ground and get kicked.

- what good is all the lvl 1 healing spells when lvl 20? Long cast time for puny heal, it just seems like an ancient outdated system.

- why can't we anticipate in sieges, big battles and other great stuff?

- no pushing obnoxious people over the cliff?

- no teleport + feather fall?

- why can't I as a hippie (druid) just talk about it and come to an understanding .......and hug?
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    - reputation vs alignment = happy/unhappy, it doesn't make sense in a real world, many evil people like to have a good reputaton and often view themselves as good people who are misunderstood, whilst many good sees themselves as evil sinners who must repent every little thing.
  • ramagonsramagons Member Posts: 96
    tilly said:

BG2 - Having Jaheira hit on you... when you're her old friend's kid ._.

Not to mention she had just been held captive against her will, tortured, and widowed unexpectedly. TIME FOR SEXY TIME, RUB THE STITCH OUT OF MY LEG CHARNAME, UGUU~~.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171

I was under the impression that killing Bhaalspawn was secondary to Sarevok. I don't think he was entirely aware of how the whole Bhaal thing worked, and instead of killing the Bhaalspawn, he just wanted to cause the war to ascend. Whether or not that would have worked, I don't know, but I always assumed from the way the game played out and with the details following in the second game, Sarevok didn't fully grasp how to ascend.