Skip to content

Things that make you go "Hmmm..."

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Do you think flesh golems have male and female... parts?
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @ajwz No, I think they are like Barbie dolls in that way. Ken dolls, too.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Except the Flesh Golems, of course. We all know what that High Hedge wizard keeps those hunks around for.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    So this is the golem orgy thread after all... I knew It wasn't the one to the left.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    No doubt someone will show up soon telling what the Bible has to say on the matter. I'm guessing you shouldn't covet your neighbour's golem but does that mean you can't have sex with it?
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Bye bye family friendly O_O

As for things that make me go hmmmm? This thread, definitely...
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    When the very first two voice acted characters in Icewind Dale sound like they could be brothers (both Arundel and Hrothgar are voiced by Jim Cummings aka Minsc). I mean, I guess they could have a similar dialect from having lived in ye-olde' frozen wasteland for so long, but really? Don't get me wrong, Jim Cummings is my favorite voice actor in any Infinity Engine game, but it was a little odd.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Redcoat said:

Most of these are examples of Gameplay and Story Segregation

For instance:

Elves cant be resurrected. Also, Khalid. They can fix it be denying resurrect to other elves. Also reduce Con by 1 after each successful one. :D as i believe was originally planned.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    Plus with any spell to bring someone back from the dead there was a D100 chance based on your CON that the spell would fail and you would be dead forever.

http://www.ancientscrossroads.com/adnd_tools/con_table.htm
  • AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    Why bother with Resurrection at end of ToB?? Just Wish them back, much easier, and bypasses all those silly rules! Hell, once you got Wish, why bother with any mundane task, like fighting, and travel, etc.

and all of this assumes you didn't choose to become a God, in which case...really you Drow want to kill my Wife? Oh Lolth? Let's have some words! :)
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    How come death is such a big thing in this setting when you can resurrect characters. I'm pretty sure Gorion expected to be resurrected by his harper friends. (what happened they have a grudge or something?) I mean he must be wealthy and influential with his years of adventuring. You would think if he anticipated trouble he would of arranged someone to bring his body to a temple. Admittedly you have to be 'rich' in game terms.

P.S I do like how bioware poked fun at this by having a little kitty resurrection joke in the game (a play on the nine lives thing).
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited September 2012
    Death isn't a big deal....until you get chunked.
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    Yeah the opening sequence should let Sarevok chop Gorion to piećes. that'd explain no ressurection ;) a lil'bit of gore here and there is always good ;)

Why bother with Resurrection at end of ToB?? Just Wish them back, much easier, and bypasses all those silly rules! Hell, once you got Wish, why bother with any mundane task, like fighting, and travel, etc.

and all of this assumes you didn't choose to become a God, in which case...really you Drow want to kill my Wife? Oh Lolth? Let's have some words! :)

According to the same PnP rules; a wish spell ages the caster 5 years! D&D used to be a lot more brutal back then...
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
    edited September 2012
    Why is CHARNAME's death Game Over? Surely the remainder of the party can get him/her to a temple, or use a Rod of Resurrection, or a cleric spell to bring him/her back??

It could be argued that the god-essence prevents such, but you can still resurrect Imoen, and even:

Sarevok finds himself resurrected somehow...
    Post edited by diggerb on
    @diggerb -
    Use the spoiler tags.
    scriver said:

@diggerb -
    Use the spoiler tags.

Thanks but I don't see any Help anywhere advising how to do that...
    No worries. There's a thread in Community Support about formatting and such, but the spoiler code goes [*spoiler][*/spoiler], except without the * of course.
    Jalily said:
    scriver said:

No worries. There's a thread in Community Support about formatting and such, but the spoiler code goes [*spoiler][*/spoiler], except without the * of course.

Thanks guys. Post above edited.
    edited September 2012
    @diggerb
    diggerb said:

Why is CHARNAME's death Game Over? Surely the remainder of the party can get him/her to a temple, or use a Rod of Resurrection, or a cleric spell to bring him/her back??

It could be argued that the god-essence prevents such, but you can still resurrect Imoen, and even:

When you bring Sarevok back he isn't considered one of the Bhaalspawn anymore. He says as much in his conversation with him. The same would have happened if CHARNAME died. Hence the game over video in BG1 of CHARNAME's statue being destroyed, just like Sarevok's is once you kill him at the end.

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Kilroy_was_here Even Limited Wish (Level 7) aged the caster by three years...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Shandyr said:

@diggerb

diggerb said:

When you bring Sarevok back he isn't considered one of the Bhaalspawn anymore. He says as much in his conversation with him. The same would have happened if CHARNAME died. Hence the game over video in BG1 of CHARNAME's statue being destroyed, just like Sarevok's is once you kill him at the end.

And yet there is a dialog between Imoen and Sarevok in ToB.
    Where she asks him how it was to be dead.

Then he replies that he is sure that she died as well in the past, so why ask him, she would know herself.
    Then she says yes that she died indeed, but was only dead for a short moment, whereas he was dead for a longer period. (Even if you take care to never let her die, this happens)

She could have died in the period after she was drained by Bodhi and before she got her soul back. It still doesn't make much sense, because how can you bring someone back from the dead who has no soul?

I think you have to chalk this up to story and gameplay segregation. Otherwise known as the 'Why can't I use a Phoenix Down on Aeris' rule. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation

That page should be in a drugs list somewhere. Maybe an FBI/Interpol warning before you enter...
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I have a love hate relationship with TV tropes. It can be very entertaining, but some of the pages read like they were written by a twelve year old. And what kind of segregation system has a category for fanfiction AND professional wrestling?
    I bet there can't be much crossover between those two fanbases.
    @ajwz Beware the kinds of crossovers out there in the wild Internet could surprise you :)