Skip to content

No GOG version?

Comments

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited March 2016
    Actarus said:

I like all my game to be at the same place. That is why I want Dragonspear to be with GOG.

That's the second reason for me to long for release on GOG. Not all my games are at the same place, I do some devil worship as well (have some games on Steam that aren't available on GOG), but I do like to give Siege of Dragonspear a place here:

• RørikRørik Member Posts: 1
    So then that bears a question, both of my games are also on GOG. If I get the 40 dollar preorder from beamdog and then download the installer, will the installer work on my GOG installation?
  • AgetianAgetian Member Posts: 2
    For me, no GOG version equals no purchase at the moment because the way it stands right now, there is no DRM-free Linux version of the game offered. The Beamdog version, even though it's DRM-free, is for Windows/Mac only as stated in the official FAQ, and the upcoming Steam release which has Linux support is not DRM-free.
    So, personally I'll be waiting to see if Siege of Dragonspear comes to GOG, because I want a DRM-free Linux-compatible version.
    (Alternatively, adding Linux support to the Beamdog version might be nice, too - but I think that's less likely to happen that releasing on GOG).

- Agetian
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    Rørik said:

So then that bears a question, both of my games are also on GOG. If I get the 40 dollar preorder from beamdog and then download the installer, will the installer work on my GOG installation?

No it will not however you should be able to transfer a gog version bg1ee game into the preorder beamdog copy
  • TheShipWreckTheShipWreck Member Posts: 2
    Since some of us (including me) have and enjoy the BG:EE and BG2:EE in GoG can there be an answer on whether or not we get SoD and/or the 2.0 patch and when?

I find it unprofessional if the demand rises to buy BG:EE again from Beamdog or Steam to be able to play the expansion.

thanks.
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179

You are absolutely right in your assessment. GOG and Beamdog are both DRM free. GOGs way of supplying the game might be more straightforward for some users and they confuse it with more DRM freeness :).

I hope everybody understood now.
    Thank you both for the clarification. I am used to Windows programs not working unless "installed" from an installer. It doesn't generally occur to me to think that saving the installed program directory is sufficient :)

It would be nice if I can buy Dragonspear without having to re-purchase BG:EE (but not necessarily a deal breaker.)
  • ActarusActarus Member Posts: 78
    So do we have any word on a GOG release?
  • crumbcrumb Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2016
    Please, could we get an update on when/if SoD will eventually come to GOG? Even if it is just to say again that beamdog is still in negotiations for this to happen? Or to confirm it will not be released on GOG for sure on March 31st? Can you confirm if people who bought the EEs on GOG will at least be getting the 2.0 patches? Any help or word from someone in blue would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • ActarusActarus Member Posts: 78
    With Easter weekend we won't get any answer soon. And the game release is next week.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    GOG is still a little bit in limbo. Dee could say with reasonable certainty that SoD would not be available on GOG on March 31.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/725804/#Comment_725804
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CorelliaCorellia Member Posts: 22
    typo_tilly wrote: »
    When BG1EE was first released, you downloaded the game and the update program. Once you logged into Beamdog and downloaded the game, you could install it and it run without ever using the update program. It was DRM-free. At present, GOG has Linux versions of the games, but that's the only difference between Beamdog and GOG.

Wait, GoG has a linux version?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    There's no DRM in the games on Steam either. Quit Steam and run the game from the install folder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    regarding updates and off line mode. i don't belive steam will force you back online to update anything unless you reset it.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    When I was using my Steam version of BG2EE (before I ditched it in favour of the DVD version) I used to physically unplug my internet connection before playing - Steam would then mutter on about there being no internet connection available before reluctantly giving me the option to "Start in offline mode".

(And as an aside, why does everything have to be a "mode" these days? What's wrong with just saying "play offline"?)
    The trick is to run the exe directly, not by clicking "play" in the steam client. @Troodon80 can you give @typo_tilly a hint on how to do this with Linux?
    I'm not prodding you - just want the right information to be out in the open. There should be an executable file in the game folder, a native Linux executable that does not use Wine. Troodon80 does most of our Linux testing so he can provide more detail.

Buy the games wherever best suits you.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited March 2016
    @typo_tilly @Cerevant,

For the Linux version on Steam, I use this:
    cd ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ Enhanced\ Edition
    ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/run.sh ./BaldursGate

You don't need the Steam client running to launch the game. The run.sh script just loads the required libraries in order for the game to run in the same way the GOG version does. You don't need to move files around, and the Steam overlay (with Achievement notifications) only functions if the Steam client is actively running.

What I'm not entirely sure about is this:
    The Steam install only has an .exe which I can't execute in Linux. Where is the Linux script?
    The GOG install has a .sh file which I can execute in Linux.
    Did you install the Steam client using Wine? Is it actually a Windows EXE file, or do you just mean an executable?
    That's a good point - you can't download the game with the Windows Steam client, and run it in Linux. You have to install the native Linux Steam Client and install it from there.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    ... Seems like a whole lot of hassle. I'll stick with gog....

So, any update about a gog release?
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Am I the only one who's annoyed that Beamdog is now asking for a buyer's address, phone #, etc. in order to buy DoS? I've already bought every other EE game with no problem (using Paypal) without having to provide that info. I'm seriously tempted to wait/hope for a GOG release just for that reason, but that would mean even if there is an eventual GOG release, I'd have to worry about compatibility with my original BG:EE purchase and waiting for patch updates to be made available on GOG.

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited March 2016
    @typo_tilly (and for reference to anyone else who might make use of it),

Open the terminal on Linux and just copy/paste those lines I gave you. :-)

If you would rather have an icon to double click, you can make a *.desktop launcher which should look something like this (by the way, this is basically what the GOG version of BGEE does):
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
    Comment=Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
    Path=/home/yourname/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/
    Exec=/home/yourname/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/run.sh ./BaldursGate
    Icon=/path/to/icon.png
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Name[en_GB]=Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Replace 'yourname' with your user profile/login name. If you want to use a proper icon, fill in that property—otherwise remove it. After that, just don't launch Steam.
  • clos4lifeclos4life Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2016
    I'm sure within a few weeks after release, SoD will be on GOG. :3

Out of curiosity, since words are all talk and all we have to go by is previous history, how long did it take for the other EE versions to hit GOG? I don't remember it being just a few weeks but I could be wrong.

Edit: Reading all the blue posts on the subject there was nothing that would indicate a few weeks. They brushed off questions by giving the most vague possible answer. It could be a few weeks or 2017 before it hits GOG.