Skip to content

New players: how to wrap your head around thac0, AC, saves, and other "lower is better" scores

The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• RideratRiderat Member Posts: 136
    Hey!

A nice read :)

I'll go ahead and shoot a question to see whether I understand this right.

Lets take the same lvl1 Fighter vs Thief with leather armor. Only this time, lets put a regular long sword in fighters hands (which has damage of 1d8).

Now, fighters Thac0 is 20 and the ac for thief is 8, so basically, you hit him if you roll something more than 12, right? So far so good I believe. And this is only to allow you to roll your 8-sided dice for the attack right? Only after this dice roll has checked, you roll that 1d8 to determine the damage you deal to the thief. Bottom line is that armor does not influence the damage of the weapon? If i have rolled 13 with the first roll, then I am able to hit him with the whole 8 true damage from my long sword?

On the unrelated note, maybe you can explain the saving throws? :sweat_smile: Because, so far, this works for physical damage afaiu. I am almost willing to bet a cheeseburger on how, say, fireball damages anything in the game differently.

Cheers and thanks for the article!
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    edited March 2016
    Saves are basically "roll higher than your stat". So if your save vs spell is 14 you need to roll higher than 14 so succeed (plus minus other buffs/debuffs)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    And for 3e thac0 would be still be 0, because to hit AC0 in 3rd edition would still be automatic unless you roll 1.

(Honestly though, thac0 would mean different thing when AC works in opposite ways)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    It is much easier to roll in 3e as they made everything into a modifier which you add to a d20 roll, but 2e isn't too hard to work out. That being said i've never played PnP 2e so I've never had to do it for every single roll.
    edited March 2016
    3e is still much easier and straightforward, as it is simply roll+bonus > AC to hit.

2e was pretty much the same thing but with unnecessary complexities, and it also has all kinds of ambiguous situations (is +2 thac0 good thing or not?)
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I grew up playing AD&D 2e. It was never difficult to remember once you understood how it was supposed to mechanically work. It's more about the concept than the rule.

That being said, leveling up was always a pain in the neck. Having to change all those saving throw bases was always a little confusing, so I downloaded a program that calculated it for me.

The concept of THAC0 was always pretty easy for me. What was confusing is that even in the P&P books, they never had real consistency. Some spells would give a "-2 bonus to ac", which is actually good, but then some spells or effects would "improve your AC by +2"; which is mechanically bad, but it's supposed to be an improvement, so you have to read between the lines at the intent of the ability and ignore the typo. Some would "increase your THAC0" as a detriment (meaning your THAC0 is now 22 instead of 20), but in BG increased THAC0 is a benefit. Some would give a bonus to your attack roll instead, which is good, some would provide a minus to your attack roll, which is bad, and some would provide a minus to your THAC0, which is good. And then of course there were the double negatives that would specifically say things like, "Monster's AC is decreased by -2 when out in the sunlight," when you know that the monster is supposed to be harmed by sunlight. Does this mean that you subtract negative 2 from the ac total? Or do you add negative 2 to the total? That doesn't make sense, because then it would improve their ac! So you were in effect adding positive 2 to ac, which is the same thing as subtracting negative 2 from the ac. So why didn't they just say add 2 to their ac??! It was clear that the editors did not understand how the game engine worked, so mistakes like that were not found and corrected.

The biggest advantage of AD&D 2e is that it is not linear. 3e is very linear, very rulebound, very specific in what a character is capable of doing and not capable of doing. 2e said, "Here are the some rules that we go by when playing so everyone is on the same page, but your group should do anything that you want. These are just guidelines to speed things up. Anything the DM says goes, because you are making a story together and we want to have fun. The DM is the writer and the players are the readers. You are all actors. And if you don't like something, change it."

3e is definitely more like, "These are the rules, stick to them, don't break them unless you have a logical reason to, because it might upset the balance." Shut up Jaheira!

3e is more about level progression and mechanics than it is about story telling and adventure. I think that they are trying to remedy that mistake with 5e, but 4e totally turned me off to wizards of the coast and I haven't looked back. I play pathfinder when I get the chance, but that's just because people find it easier to understand initially. I would love to play 2e but I don't know anyone who is interested.

I feel like 3e is lawful neutral, and AD&D 2e is chaotic good. 4e is lawful evil, and pathfinder is a nicer lawful neutral. No judgements about 5e yet.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

3e is definitely more like, "These are the rules, stick to them, don't break them unless you have a logical reason to, because it might upset the balance." Shut up Jaheira!

However, as I will tell any of my players when I start dming next week:

I am your God and I'll interpret the rules how I bloody well like!
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    wubble said:

However, as I will tell any of my players when I start dming next week:

I am your God and I'll interpret the rules how I bloody well like!
    Amen. How shall I pay homage to thee, Almighty @wubble?

That is how I DM pathfinder as well. And it is how I play as a player. What the DM says goes was lost with the adandonment of 2e.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited March 2016
    The old AD&D dungeon master's screen had tables on it to make the process work fairly easily for the players and the dungeon master.

Our DM had the players do our own bonus adjustments. So, for example, a player might have +4 bonuses from various sources, say, a strength bonus, a +1 sword, and a buff spell. The player rolls an 18, but what he calls out to the DM is "22 adjusted". If he rolled a 20, he'd call out "natural 20!", because that's an automatic critical hit.

The DM would then compare the adjusted roll that the player called out to this table on his dungeon master's screen:

There was a separate table for every character class. The one above is for fighter types, who have the most favorable Thac0 progression. The table numbers for clerics and druids to hit would be at least 1 higher, with 2 higher for rogues, and 3 higher for mages.

There were similar tables for saving throws, and they were all printed on the dungeon master's screen for easy reference. They were also printed in the dungeon master's guide, but that thing was the size of a telephone book, making it a slow process to look anything up in it. Those cardboard screens were a must-have item for a smooth tabletop D&D playing experience.
  • When the OP needs 1,000+ words to explain THAC0 and Saving Throws I think that speaks to a degree of unnecessary complexity.

To draw an analogy, if you grew up using DOS, it's pretty easy, and a graphical UI might seem unnecessary, but there's a definite difference in how quickly a new user can pick up Windows as opposed to a command prompt.

On the other hand, it was the 2e DMG that told me "Don't you dare remove level limits! If you do that, then humans have to be reduced to worthless peasants and slaves while Elves and Gnomes rule the world! Do you really want to design an entirely alien campaign setting?"
    edited March 2016
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'd have just said lower numbers are better for saves, AC, and THAC0, and that you can tell if "+2 to AC" is positive or negative based on context, but usually a + means a bonus and a - means a penalty.
    edited March 2016
    I think that @subtledoctor has a point that both the AD&D/2nd edition thac0 system, and the third edition BAB system, are fundamentally the same thing, that is, an attack roll on a d20 plus bonuses compared against a total defensive number comprised of armor class (AC) plus bonuses, determines whether a "to hit" roll is successful.

But I think the other side also has a point that the "base attack bonus" (BAB) system from 3rd edition is much more intuitively understandable than the AD&D/2nd edition thac0 system. It is very hard to grasp for many people that "minus 10 AC" total is not some kind of horrible penalty.

"Plus 10 to armor class", and "plus 10 to base attack bonus", on the other hand, sound intuitively just like the bonuses that they are.

It is evidence for the side that says "1st and 2nd edition are needlessly complicated to understand", I think, that the original Baldur's Gate developers messed up the "+" and "-" signs on several of the magic item descriptions in the game, although, as far as I know, they got the actual bonuses or penalties right despite the occasional incorrect descriptions.
    I meant to tag @subtledoctor in that last post, not @semiticgod . Whoops.

@semiticgod Yes everyone understands that, but that's what leads to people asking stuff like "for the next patch can you please switch it so that higher numbers are better?" Which of course is not possible and not necessary. I thought maybe if they better understood the mechanics it would be helpful...

I don't think anyone is asking for a change in bg, people are just saying that 3e is easier to understand.
  • I think that subtledoctor has a point that both the AD&D/2nd edition thac0 system, and the third edition BAB system, are fundamentally the same thing, that is, an attack roll on a d20 plus bonuses compared against a total defensive number comprised of armor class (AC) plus bonuses, determines whether a "to hit" roll is successful.

But I think the other side also has a point that the "base attack bonus" (BAB) system from 3rd edition is much more intuitively understandable than the AD&D/2nd edition thac0 system. It is very hard to grasp for many people that "minus 10 AC" total is not some kind of horrible penalty.

To draw another analogy, numbers are fundamentally the same thing whether they are represented in base 10 or base 12, but a lot of people find base 10 more intuitive. Just because someone has worked with base 12 long enough that it is intuitive to them, does not mean it is an equally intuitive to people in general.

"Plus 10 to armor class", and "plus 10 to base attack bonus", on the other hand, sound intuitively just like the bonuses that they are.

It is evidence for the side that says "1st and 2nd edition are needlessly complicated to understand", I think, that the original Baldur's Gate developers messed up the "+" and "-" signs on several of the magic item descriptions in the game, although, as far as I know, they got the actual bonuses or penalties right despite the occasional incorrect descriptions.

Not just the original BG developers, there were printed AD&D books that got things mixed up or represented them in a confusing way. Whereas I can't recall a single occasion since 3rd edition where I was unsure if a "+" or a "-" meant a bonus or a penalty.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Really, you could make the argument that using a 20-sided die in the first place was needlessly complicated, since everyone was pretty happy with the d6's they'd been rolling so far. ;)
    edited March 2016
    I'd also like to point out that as of 2.0, one of the very first NPCs you see in the first game is a Tutor who can briefly explain the math behind THAC0 and AC.

If Gygax et al. had gone with a 3E-style system, then you're talking about inventing a ruleset where you roll dice... and lower results give you better outcomes. That doesn't seem intuitively understandable at all, to me at least.

@subtledoctor , That's not right at all. Higher dice rolls are *always* better in 3E, just as in AD&D and 2E. Are you sure you understand 3E rules?

Let's say an enemy has AC 20. That's a fantastic AC. Let's say your base attack bonus is 4. You need a total of 20 adjusted to hit that AC. (Natural 20 always hits.) That means you need to roll at least 16 to hit that opponent. Easy peasy, nice and easy.

I love to get my AC in 3E up to 30 or higher, because it makes me almost immune to being hit on anything other than a natural 20, from most enemies. At my having AC 30, an enemy will need a base attack bonus of at least +11 to have a chance to hit me with a 19 (roll of 19 plus 11 equals 30, anything less doesn't hit). Few enemies in most of 3E NWN, for example, have a BAB that high.

I don't have any problem understanding 2E thac0, but the 3E way is much easier to calculate and understand.

I often get my AC up to near 40 by end game in NWN1 or NWN2. At that level of AC, only boss level enemies have any chance to hit me without rolling a natural 20.
    The same way as attack rolls. The DC (difficulty class) of the saving throw is determined by the effect you're saving against. Meet or beat that number and your save is successful. Your saving throw is also modified by either your Dex, Wis, or Con modifier depending on whether it's a Reflex, Willpower, or Fortitude saving throw. Your class levels will also give you a bonus on your saving throw.
    edited March 2016
    @subtledoctor , Your saving throw ratings are the minimums you need to roll to save. You want them as high as possible. (Unlike the counter-intuitive 2E "lower is better" saves.)

Let's say you have a save versus spells of 15. An enemy mage casts a fireball at you for 40 damage. You roll a 15-20 on your save, you take only 20 damage, anything less, you take the full 40 damage.

Finding any way possible to *raise* your saving throws is of extreme importance, since enemy casters and monsters in NWN have a *lot* of "save or die" spells and abilities. I do everything I can in 3E to get those saves up to 20 or higher across the board.

(Higher than 20 is even better, since a lot of spells and abilities debuff those saves, and the AI in NWN loves to cast those spells and abilities at you before the big "save or die" gets used.)

Again, easy peasy, nice and easy. You want those saves at 20, because then, unadjusted, only rolling a 1 will make you fail a save.
    edited March 2016