Skip to content

GIrdle of Gender change

OKAY so I'm doing another playthrough, just getting ready for the expac to drop, and I totally accidentally put on this silly belt... then I get to the FAI and I meet Mr. Tarnesh who then greets me at the door and says his normal routine about how i match some description and how he has to end my pitiful existence...

Then I start to think...

WAIT A SECOND, How could I POSSIBLY match your description, when the description he has is of a completely different gender than I currently am (Due to my initial mistake of equipping this stupid belt)?

Figured it was just interesting, and I'm SURE someone has mentioned this before, but it feels like I should be able to dodge the first few of assassins by using this belt until they get wise to my petty little schemes >:)
KilivitzSilverstarsemiticgoddesswubbleGreenWarlockMERLANCEDeeSpaceInvaderJuliusBorisovMetallomanAedanEmpyrialsarevok57lunarmashedtatersSkatanPeccaRaduzielAbi_DalzimMoradinjesterdesudeltagoGrumMacHurtoFinnTheHumandracostrikeMarkosJarrakulArdulDurenaselminsterCaptRoryAHF

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ah, but he is a wizard harry, maybe he can see through your deceitful gender changing schemes eh?
    GrumCaptRory
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I used to use the belt to change gender based dialogs and encounters in my game; just so I could see what they were like.
    JuliusBorisov
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    Well, you don't change the portrait, do you. Just the... nether regions. :)
    MacHurto
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Yeah, that would be a cool use of an otherwise rather useless gimick item. Avoiding Tarnesh and maybe Neira in Nashkel, those are very lethal for new players. The other more elite groups (amazons and the gullykin band) may have an additional dialogue like 'we see through your pitiful disguise attempt' and attack anyway.
    JuliusBorisov
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    LOL That's AWESOME!

Perhaps your character is easily mistaken for a member of the opposite sex already... a girlie boy, or a manly woman. Then you would still match your description easily enough, because nothing appears to have changed.
    I would imagine that most Charnames would hope that if their genders were magically changed, the change would be into someone that they would have previously found attractive-looking: y'know, big, strong man now looks like a super-model amazon, or vice-versa. Sounds like your Charname's appearance did not change at all, otherwise how could he-she have possibly been recognized??
    Hate to break it to you, but your Charname was probably either ugly before you put that belt on, or is ugly now.
    If you are ugly now, then it's a no-brainer: break that curse!!
    But, if you were ugly before, you have to ask yourself this question: do you really want to go back at the cost of your new-found beauty?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Pecca said:

Well, you don't change the portrait, do you. Just the... nether regions. :)

Not that I want to talk about it a lot, but due to nature changing the "nether regions" leads to future changes in the portrait.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    That's why you play PnP, where creativity can be rewarded and acknowledged. The computer and game designers will never prepare for every eventuality conceived by the devious RPG player
    JarrakulsemiticgoddessmashedtatersCaptRory
  • Ark_ToleiArk_Tolei Member Posts: 69
    It's not like they're stripping you and checking your actual sex. Pretending to be a boy/girl to evade capture is the oldest trick in the book.

This would likely only work if you got rid of all the equipment you had when you left candlekeep, got new clothes, etc. "oh look, my target is pretending to be the wrong gender but is still wearing the exact same outfit they had on before, has the same build (your physical stats are unaltered), and is traveling with the same people they were last seen with."

Some of those obvious signs (imoen wears pink thieves garb...) can be meaningfully changed by avoiding the assassin areas for an extended perior, but not without repeatedly running into other people, all of whom are sources of information for the forces of evil. Not to mention divination. I mean if they can infiltrate candlekeep with petty thugs they have to have a few diviners available, right?

Nice try Charname, but you're just too special to hide behind genitalia.
    SkatanmashedtatersCaptRory
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Ark_Toriel: Honestly, the girdle should prevent bounty hunter attacks from taking place altogether. Any sane person whose sex had changed would immediately drop their pants in front of a bounty hunter to prove that they weren't the right target.
    ButtercheeseEmpyrialmashedtatersAedan
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Gender fluidity is a common thing in the Sword Coast.
    CaptRory
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @semiticgod
    Argh! My eyes! I'm blind!

(Due to both the content and presentation of your post)
    semiticgoddessGozeta
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2016
    This actually makes me think of a really good idea for a mod. Something that stops the bounty hunters from addressing you if you aren't your starting gender (I mean they'll use the same script as others that approach you for dialog, so that will need to be changed, but it does bring up a good point).
    CaptRory
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    edited April 2016
    None of them give you time to take your pants off, to be honest. And none say your gender just something general like "you are the one I look for!" Or whatever. How are you supposed to react by saying: "No, look! No balls!"

Even if they say something about you being Gorion's ward or whatever, if you say "no! Look down here, another gender!" You clearly know too much about the target so let's kill you anyway. There are several options where you keep saying it is not you and they dont give a shit, after all :-)
    mashedtatersCaptRory
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    Change in gender =/ Change in appearance
    Aedan
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731

That is just your assumption :-) A sudden change in gender might not alter your appearance much in the first couple of weeks. As someone pointed out, disguisig as the other gender is the oldest trick in the book
    mashedtaters
  • marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    edited April 2016
    That's always been a fun belt rofl, poor Xzar.....
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

The paper doll and character sprite really does suggest there's a rather substantial change of appearance.
    CaptRoryAHF