Skip to content

What do you think should be the highest weapon enchantment in SOD

BlackorbBlackorb Member Posts: 62
Sod will be released in 7 days :# the waiting is almost over!
This got me thinking about the items we will find in game and then i wondered,
what will be the highest weapon enchantment in sod for weapons?
Most likely it will not go higher then + 3 maybe we will find a + 4 weapon in the end of the game.

My personal vote would be to not go any higher then + 3 because even in baldurs gate 2 + 4 and + 5 weapons are very rare and i think anything higher then + 3 would not fit with the level of the content.
Ofcourse the weapons and there enchantment level are by this point most likely already set in stone but i was wondering what do you guys think should be the highest weapon enchantment in sod?
  1. What do you think should be the highest weapon enchantment in SOD108 votes
    1. + 1
        0.00%
    2. + 2
        3.70%
    3. + 3
      75.93%
    4. + 4
      12.96%
    5. + 5
        0.93%
    6. + 6
        4.63%
    7. Other
        1.85%

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited March 2016
    The highest enchantment in BG1EE is +3, and with SoD being an expansion for BG1EE, it should stay +3. Not that I wouldn't like special higher bonuses for certain enemies against certain enemies like demons and such, or something like what the Burning Earth does.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I think that there should be more +3 weapons for SoD, but only one or two more. Anything better should be kept SoA/ToB-only.

That's just my opinion of course.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    The max enchant in BG1 is actually Flame Tongue which is +4 but obviously it's only got +4 bonuses against undead. That said +4 weapons come in late even in BG2 so putting them in the expansion is a bit much even for me.
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    Yes +3 seems good
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

Does this mean that the Holy Hand-Grenade can't harm Kangaxx?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    +3 max.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    And the final boss should require +4 to hit. :tongue:

The final boss is actually Karoug. Turns out he was a lich or something. :P
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    +3
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    +3 Unless you can kill Drizzt
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Personally, I don't think it matters too much. Enchantment just makes a weapon slightly more damaging and slightly more accurate. Even if you put a +6 weapon in Baldur's Gate 1, it wouldn't break the game unless it had a bunch of crazy abilities. However, I'd rather the weapons have more interesting abilities instead of higher enchantment.
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    Jarrakul wrote: »

A spoiler in plain sight before the XP is even released seriously?... wow thanks...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

A spoiler in plain sight before the XP is even released seriously?... wow thanks...

I'm pretty sure that was a joke.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    +10 Hackmaster

Can only be consoled into the game
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    Dee wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that was a joke.
    ah ok my bad sorry

• SurvivorSurvivor Member Posts: 68
    deltago wrote: »
    +10 Hackmaster

Can only be consoled into the game

Please tell me that being able to talk runs in the family ;)
  • GozetaGozeta Member Posts: 105
    Please more epic gear. I'm only in it for the treasure. XD
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think it matters too much. Enchantment just makes a weapon slightly more damaging and slightly more accurate. Even if you put a +6 weapon in Baldur's Gate 1, it wouldn't break the game unless it had a bunch of crazy abilities. However, I'd rather the weapons have more interesting abilities instead of higher enchantment.

Do not understimate the multiplicative effect of having both to hit and damage boni at the same time. A single +1 bonus can easily be a 25% increase in average damage.

Also, thankfully in the BG series magical items also come with interesting other abilities as you wish for. But the power of these tend to correlate well with the enchantment bonus.

Personally I want some +3s and maybe one or two +4. The most obvious design pitfall would be having too many +4s all over the place in an effort to balance weapon types. Really hope this won't happen here.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    +3 weapon is enough for %99 of the creatures. Only a few named monsters require +4 enchantment. I highly doubt any enemy in SoD will require +4. Even devas/planetars can be hit by +3, IIRC, if the last boss of SoD turns out to be (fallen) one.

Thus I really don't think +4 weapons are required in SoD. You don't need +4 even in SoA until quite some time.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Always need to escalate, so +4 and it should be found in BG2 and it should be a club. All of the undervalued weapons like daggers and clubs should be the best gear in SOD
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I would say +3 I guess, but I'm more interested in the weapon effects themselves.. Fun on-hit abilities and so on.

I also hope there's more cursed items^^
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Personally I hope some of the special abilities for the two-handed weapons will make it hard to choose between two-handed and dual-wielding..
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    A couple +3 weapons, but lets not overdo it. +4 weapons are a bit much. Wouldn't mind a "mini-Carsomyr" longsword +4, but nothing else. Paladins have a bastard sword and a great sword, but they could use a different type of weapon. Maybe not even a longsword.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I won't settle for anything less than a +12 Hackmaster.
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 90
    +997 Story Moder. Special ability - every time you hit a monster you win the game :smile:
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    This thread reminds me so much of Eye of the Beholder, where part 1 was littered with +5 weapons, so you barely got any upgrades in parts 2 and 3.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Dee wrote: »
    True* story: all of the weapons in SoD are +4 clubs.

* Totally not true.

Now I know why I kept Jaheira in my party :wink: