Skip to content

Heart on my sleeve

QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
Hey y'all,

I feel like a lot of you folks have been very good to me and very supportive and just generally pleasant, so you deserve something of an explanation as to why I have been extremely absent.

The past half year of my life has been … hectic, to say the least. I've discovered my passion and seemingly lost it again, I've been through three different break ups, I've been betrayed by some of my (former) best friends in truly horrible fashion, I had to quite suddenly leave the university I'd attended for a year and a half, and a couple of incidents (involving said former friends) left me with post-traumatic stress disorder, which I am still unfortunately dealing with. Things have been emotionally insurmountable despite the comfort I live in. (Welcome to the 21st century, I guess, lol)

Because of this, you can probably imagine how little has been accomplished concerning @CrevsDaak and I's mod during this time. A little progress has been made, but it's not much. It's another setback. There have been a lot of setbacks in my life, and honestly it feels like every time I build myself up again I am hammered down with reality checks.

After everything that went down last semester at school, I returned home and went back to working at the local ice cream shop, and was quickly promoted to a shift leader. I began feeling semi-comfortable again, and building myself up, I found a wonderful woman who seems like she's truly right for me. She makes me happy, and I her.

I have to go back to school to finish my BA in journalism, and now it's completely possible that schooling could take me physically away from her for a couple of years. Or we could end up going to schools that are close by, if we're lucky. Sure, not the end of the world, but not easy either. This has recently put a lot of stress on me and worries me day and night, honestly. I also don't even feel like going back to school (thus the "discovered my passion and seemingly lost it again" clause), but I know I need to.

I know a lot of the people on this forum are older than I, so here's a genuine question: Are a person's early twenties usually rough like this? I have heard that they are, for many.

I've certainly done some lurking around here, but I've been reluctant to post. You all know me -- I tend to relate things to my personal experiences and relate that to everyone's experiences in some way or the other. In that way I'm a sharer, and verbally sharing is what my heart desires most. I was betrayed because I over-shared, confided in the wrong people. I've been mentally at odds with myself ever since, desiring to share but fearing doing so. I'm trying to open myself up again, and I suppose this thread is one of those steps.

Hopefully some day I can look back on this thread and laugh.

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Finally: dude, you are still young. What are you, 21? You haven't even started life.
    So you're telling me... I'm still in the prelude? I'm watching it in B&W.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Shandyr wrote: »
    I am not a friend of the sentiment
    "If you feel bad just read up about people who feel bad too or who feel even worse and you will feel better"

Well, I do think it is important to read about people who were in your position but overcame it. I very much related to Quartz's issues, and felt very much the same when I was his age. I think it is helpful to learn from people who have had similar experiences yet ended up fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I'm not sure if it might help to have a name for the time of life you're going through. @typo_tilly already mentioned it. It's called a "quarter life crisis", and I think all 20 somethings go through it to some extent. Yours appears to be pretty bad for you. Hopefully you can find some comfort in knowing that it is absolutely normal, most people go through it at your age, and most people resolve the crisis and come out happy on the other end of it as they move into their 30's.

Doing some reading on the subject might give you some tools to help you get through it.

I wish I knew some specific resources, and I wish I could help better. But here's a Google search for "quarter life crisis help" to get you started, if you're interested in using some reading, psychology, and advice from various sources to help you cope:

https://www.google.com/search?q=quarter+life+crisis+help&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
    Quartz wrote: »
    That's how much I hate making decisions and contradicting *anyone.*

If I can give anyone any advice with my limited wisdom, it is not to be like this if you can.

I dunno if you've ever hear of the book "Think And Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill. This guy pretty much interviewed the big time financial successes of the 1920s and 30s and tried to find out what made them so successful. It is supposed to be a big mystery and big reveal at the end, but I'll spoil it for you.

It is being decisive. In everything.

As you can see from my personal story, indecisiveness hurt me in choosing a career. I read Think And Grow Rich years ago, but it has been on my mind lately (past year or so). I've made an active effort to be much more decisive now, in literally everything I do.

It is the biggest stress relief in the world. I think you'll be surprised at how good you are at making quick (and, this is key, decisive) decisions based on your gut. The biggest part is not being torn by doubt after you make it. You decided, you live with it, deal with it and move on.

It is beyond stressful thinking about choices forever and second guessing yourself. That takes a psychological toll on you, is draining, and can make you sluggish. Well, at least it did for me. If you make an active effort not to linger on things, I think you might have more clarity.
    O_Bruce wrote: »
    you're much more liked than me on this forum, so you'll at least will recieve some support.
    @O_Bruce

Hey!

I like you.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @O_Bruce , I can't say sincerely that I either like, dislike, or am totally neutral towards you, because I don't know you or remember you from anything. I do have some vague memory triggered by your name that I have liked some of your posts in the past.

I will give you the same advice that I once gave to @bengoshi .

If you want to increase your forum status, and to make friends here who feel very respectful and affectionate towards you, and you want lots of likes, insightfuls, and agrees, then be very, very generous in giving them yourself.

People remember people who give them approval. If you give out as much sincere approval and affirmation to others as you are able, people will start to remember you, to like you, and to give *you* lots of sincere approval and affirmation.