Skip to content

Trans person responds to Amber Scott and the other writers

Comments

• Mephiston87Mephiston87 Member Posts: 178
    joluv said:

No sjw's are using minority groups as tools, tools to their own agenda(agenda varies) but ultimately it's to include every race, every religion, every sex basically to include everything in every game. So each game does not have individuality and control the original creators. Eventually sjw will go far enough to say "I counted 50 white people and only 49 black people and 48 Asians in this game, that's unfair!)

Really, you think the end goal of this "movement" is exact numerical racial parity in videogames? Have you asked yourself why anyone would want to pursue that insane and bizarrely narrow agenda?
    As I said agendas vary a bit, but ultimately they are all about equality in gaming in every respect. Personally I like gaming as it is and has been, give them enough fuel they will "equalise" the gaming industry. That is their purpose. Fairness/politics is not about gaming.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Is it really that horrible if there are as many black protagonists as white protagonists?

Like your idea of what's going on is a laughable conspiracy theory, but you are seriously saying that the ~sinister SJW agenda~ is to get more representation for marginalized groups like it's something horrible that should never happen.

This says a lot about your perspective. Makes it clear what you really think.
  • KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181
    Oh funny. I dont check it at first but it's seems that the realy actives usernames here are the same who in other thread pretend talk for "all/most" of LGBT people but dont seems unable to have a conversation without using the "sjw"-term and unable also to read the LGBT people who say something else than "remove this character".

I still love (sarcasm) how it seems really really important to some people having the posibility of being rude with a character due toi her transness, even if there plenty of other character you can't be rude in the game, even if being rude to character cause of transness doesn't make real canonical sense in the Realms. Keep your politic views out of my games please.

That's to much sarcasm in one message. I return in my "mentaly ignoring them way of life" before stoping being polite

Is it really that horrible if there are as many black protagonists as white protagonists?

Like your idea of what's going on is a laughable conspiracy theory, but you are seriously saying that the ~sinister SJW agenda~ is to get more representation for marginalized groups like it's something horrible that should never happen.

This says a lot about your perspective. Makes it clear what you really think.

So you think there should be more Asians and black people in the lord of the rings games? You think Scientology should be brought to medieval games?
    You think my colony space station that has grown from 3 Asian peoples gene's should somehow produce black and white people too?
    edited April 2016
    I agree it may seem a bit extreme but that is what they want, hard to imagine gaming getting to that point. But if people don't stand up to sjw's it's a real possibly. "equality" can and will get out of hand with these sjw nut job groups. I dunno which group is for or against or which is left or right whatever. But I have read about it, I don't care about sides just that sjw's are very bad for gamers
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @Mephiston87: OK, I went back and read a bunch of your earlier comments, and I think I have a better idea about where you're coming from. Your heart seems much closer to the right place than I had assumed. Here's my very serious advice for you: stop talking about how much you hate "SJWs" all the time. They don't exist the way you're imagining them, and you're antagonizing people you would otherwise find common ground with by constantly returning to that theme. No one I've seen here is campaigning for the future you're worried about, and the people here who want more representation in games generally have broader reasons and goals for that. Honestly, I think their core values probably aren't all that far from your own.
    joluv said:

@Mephiston87: OK, I went back and read a bunch of your earlier comments, and I think I have a better idea about where you're coming from. Your heart seems much closer to the right place than I had assumed. Here's my very serious advice for you: stop talking about how much you hate "SJWs" all the time. They don't exist the way you're imagining them, and you're antagonizing people you would otherwise find common ground with by constantly returning to that theme. No one I've seen here is campaigning for the future you're worried about, and the people here who want more representation in games generally have broader reasons and goals for that. Honestly, I think their core values probably aren't all that far from your own.

Sjw is a messy term but since the gamer gate crap, sjw in gaming terms has become about equality whether it's races or sexes or whatever. That's why it's just easier to say equality because each group seems to want something, and the only way to make them All 100 percent happy would be equality. Some companies have nailed it perfectly like the elder scrolls series, you basically have everything in them and it's well done. But there are few games that can allow such equality within their lore. Sjw's don't care about lore. They just want equality. Correct me if I'm wrong but that is my understanding.
  • kanemikanemi Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2016

So you think there should be more Asians and black people in the lord of the rings games? You think Scientology should be brought to medieval games?
    You think my colony space station that has grown from 3 Asian peoples gene's should somehow produce black and white people too?

Hey, there are plenty of us Asians and Africans in Lord of the Rings, at least the book version. We're the bad guys, the short and swarthy Easterlings, and the black-skinned, elephant (forgive me, Mumakil-riding) Southrons who allied with Sauron. Unfortunately, we got white-washed in the movies :(

Kidding (kind of, as the descriptions I just gave were the same ones that were given by Tolkien), but interestingly enough, claims of racism have dogged Tolkien's works since pretty much the beginning. Tolkien himself warned against reading too much into things, and seemed to be opposed to racism (see how destructive the racial grudges between elves and dwarves are in his works), but the fact that his Men of the West were tall and pale, while their opponents were often of a darker complexion raised quite a few eyebrows, both in his own time and since.

But, honestly, the examples that you gave seem like they would be interesting. The scientologist belief in thetans and reincarnation (as I understand it) could be a branch of medieval buddhism or hinduism, creating conflict between them and the more mainstream worshippers, while the mystery of why clones of Asians are producing Africans and Caucasians on a space colony might be an interesting starting point for a scifi game. I kind of think that the first would be easier to create than the second, but in the right writer's hands, I think both could work out.

You're reaching for examples. I made no specific claims and I wasn't saying there needs to be equal representation in every game, but asking what's wrong if there's equal representation across all games.

I agree it may seem a bit extreme but that is what they want, hard to imagine gaming getting to that point. But if people don't stand up to sjw's it's a real possibly. "equality" can and will get out of hand with these sjw nut job groups. I dunno which group is for or against or which is left or right whatever. But I have read about it, I don't care about sides just that sjw's are very bad for gamers

I have good news - you have nothing to worry about. These people you are agitating against do not exist in real life. They're phantoms, straw men, and bogeymen, not real people.
    kanemi said:

Hey, there are plenty of us Asians and Africans in Lord of the Rings, at least the book version. We're the bad guys, the short and swarthy Easterlings, and the black-skinned, elephant (forgive me, Mumakil-riding) Southrons who allied with Sauron. Unfortunately, we got white-washed in the movies :(

Kidding (kind of, as the descriptions I just gave were the same ones that were given by Tolkien), but interestingly enough, claims of racism have dogged Tolkien's works since pretty much the beginning. Tolkien himself warned against reading too much into things, and seemed to be opposed to racism (see how destructive the racial grudges between elves and dwarves are in his works), but the fact that his Men of the West were tall and pale, while their opponents were often of a darker complexion raised quite a few eyebrows, both in his own time and since.

But, honestly, the examples that you gave seem like they would be interesting. The scientologist belief in thetans and reincarnation (as I understand it) could be a branch of medieval buddhism or hinduism, creating conflict between them and the more mainstream worshippers, while the mystery of why clones of Asians are producing Africans and Caucasians on a space colony might be an interesting starting point for a scifi game. I kind of think that the first would be easier to create than the second, but in the right writer's hands, I think both could work out.
    U nailed On lord of the rings, the sjw's went nuts over the whites being good and the other being bad. Unfortunately in this world too many take offence to too much. But if gaming developers Don't play the sjw "game" and don't pick sides, gaming will Remain as it is and social/racial/sexual freedom we be within the hands of the developer. Lately outcries have been coming out over everything. The games that don't cop flak do it naturally and properly. Diversity can create even more better stories, but do it properly.

Yeh me and my mate were playing total war while discussing Scientology haha, and I like space building games but my character always looks Asian(they are smart). So I went with examples. Relevant lol. I thought they were funny.
    I don't remember ever seeing anyone "going nuts" over race in Lord of the Rings. I've seen some critical analysis of how race is used in Lord of the Rings, but nobody going nuts. I am pretty sure this never happened.

"Naturally and properly" is in the eye of the beholder. Mizhena - for example - doesn't feel forced to me but there are many people who think otherwise. I think that who a character is will have far more to do with how people perceive their inclusion than how the character was actually introduced.

Also, Scientology is terrible and no one should join them.
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    why shouldent a trans person be in SOD ? and why shouldent it be treated like any other smaller NPCS around giving you its life story within a few lines of meeting it. It makes it no more or less then any other NPCs in the game.

If you feel its a token appearance i do kind of get that, why is that char a trans whats the reason ? But honestly do they have to have a reason to put one in there ? do they have to ask persmission ?

To me being a regular joe its just not a big deal and this whole controversy have blown WAAAAAY out of proportion.
    edited April 2016

I don't remember ever seeing anyone "going nuts" over race in Lord of the Rings. I've seen some critical analysis of how race is used in Lord of the Rings, but nobody going nuts. I am pretty sure this never happened.

"Naturally and properly" is in the eye of the beholder. Mizhena - for example - doesn't feel forced to me but there are many people who think otherwise. I think that who a character is will have far more to do with how people perceive their inclusion than how the character was actually introduced.

Also, Scientology is terrible and no one should join them.

The nerds in lotr go nuts about canon stuff, and going nuts isn't on the news or anything just flooding forums. Most iv seen and heard believe she is poorly implemented, I agree with them, but slap minsc saying ethics, female behaviour swaps writers saying they are sjw and the devs handling of the situation. All that together screams agenda and kahboom. Big problems, he'll it's even on YouTube. It's enough of a change of how the original stuff isn't to put beamdog more into the "sjw" bracket sort of thing. It could all be a coincidence iv no idea, hard to imagine tho.

Scientology's are just plain stupid, but theyr beliefs are fun to talk and read about. Does saying that make me a bad person?
    Lore said:

why shouldent a trans person be in SOD ? and why shouldent it be treated like any other smaller NPCS around giving you its life story within a few lines of meeting it. It makes it no more or less then any other NPCs in the game.

If you feel its a token appearance i do kind of get that, why is that char a trans whats the reason ? But honestly do they have to have a reason to put one in there ? do they have to ask persmission ?

To me being a regular joe its just not a big deal and this whole controversy have blown WAAAAAY out of proportion.

All of what u said is totally correct. But the transsexual is only a small part of what people are angry about, originally the devs sort of went "your all bigots if u don't like it" more or less. And bam review bombing, begging for good reviews etc. Then they said basically "ok we kinda screwed up we'll fix it a bit" now it's just sorts hanging in limbo.

The nerds in lotr go nuts about canon stuff, and going nuts isn't on the news or anything just flooding forums. Most iv seen and heard believe she is poorly implemented, I agree with them, but slap minsc saying ethics, female behaviour swaps writers saying they are sjw and the devs handling of the situation. All that together screams agenda and kahboom. Big problems, he'll it's even on YouTube. It's enough of a change of how the original stuff isn't to put beamdog more into the "sjw" bracket sort of thing. It could all be a coincidence iv no idea, hard to imagine tho.

Well her implementation is being improved, so there's that.

When the writer said she was an SJW, it was in response to people calling her one for including a lesbian vampire in BG2:EE. She basically said "if you want to view me like that, then go ahead."

I don't think there's a sinister agenda here. There might be an agenda here but there are agendas everywhere. For the past week my agenda was watching Dark Souls videos and today's agenda was seeing how well Dark Souls III ran on my computer. Tomorrow's agenda is going to be to play Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

Agendas are a thing, but not a sinister thing. I mean there can be sinister agendas, but they rarely include "I think I want to write a transgender NPC in this game I'm working on."

Scientology's are just plain stupid, but theyr beliefs are fun to talk and read about. Does saying that make me a bad person?

I wish it were that simple, but that threatens to derail us very far away from Baldur's Gate. In short, no it doesn't make you a bad person. You want to talk about sinister agendas, though, and there's plenty of material to work with here.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited April 2016

Eh, I wouldn't be so certain about that actually being a transgendered person.

Yes, it's all a conspiracy and Donald Trump is the true source of all evil. Including but not limited to the black death and the nine plagues of Egypt as well the Hindenburg and R101 disasters.
    edited April 2016

When the writer said she was an SJW, it was in response to people calling her one for including a lesbian vampire in BG2:EE. She basically said "if you want to view me like that, then go ahead."

I don't think there's a sinister agenda here. There might be an agenda here but there are agendas everywhere. For the past week my agenda was watching Dark Souls videos and today's agenda was seeing how well Dark Souls III ran on my computer. Tomorrow's agenda is going to be to play Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

Agendas are a thing, but not a sinister thing. I mean there can be sinister agendas, but they rarely include "I think I want to write a transgender NPC in this game I'm working on."

I wish it were that simple, but that threatens to derail us very far away from Baldur's Gate. In short, no it doesn't make you a bad person. You want to talk about sinister agendas, though, and there's plenty of material to work with here.
    Amber scott
    "In the original there's a lot of jokes at women's expense. Or if not a lot, there's a couple, like Safana was just a sex object in BG 1, and Jaheira was the nagging wife and that was played for comedy. We were able to say, ‘No, that's not really the kind of story we want to make.' In Siege of Dragonspear, Safana gets her own little storyline, she got a way better personality upgrade. If people don't like that, then too bad."

"I consciously add as much diversity as I can to my writing and I don’t care if people think that’s “forced” or fake. I find choosing to write from a straight default just as artificial. I’m happy to be an SJW and I hope to write many Social Justice Games in the future”

It's not hard to connect the dots with so much that has happened, coincidence? Maybe, but doubtful.

Amber scott
    "In the original there's a lot of jokes at women's expense. Or if not a lot, there's a couple, like Safana was just a sex object in BG 1, and Jaheira was the nagging wife and that was played for comedy. We were able to say, ‘No, that's not really the kind of story we want to make.' In Siege of Dragonspear, Safana gets her own little storyline, she got a way better personality upgrade. If people don't like that, then too bad."

"I consciously add as much diversity as I can to my writing and I don’t care if people think that’s “forced” or fake. I find choosing to write from a straight default just as artificial. I’m happy to be an SJW and I hope to write many Social Justice Games in the future”

Actually, is it possible to see a link to where she's reportedly made these (admittable stupid) statements?

Amber scott

Actually, is it possible to see a link to where she's reportedly made these (admittable stupid) statements?

Not from me lol, there will be them around they are both legit. They are proper interviews.
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    Honestly Jahira WAS a big naggy in BG1 and Safana's personality was kinda non existant (my opinion) . Adding diversity to the writing is not a bad thing but BG is not a political tool and shouldent have any political statements, it is a game and at the end of the day people want to enjoy it without being force fed social justice.

That being said i have no beef at all with the trans NPC in SOD , she was written just fine in my opinion.
    Well, I still haven't seen any thing that suggests that these (again, rather stupid, if true) statements actually are true. So I have strong doubts about this (to put it mildly).
    edited April 2016
    Lore said:

Honestly Jahira WAS a big naggy in BG1 and Safana's personality was kinda non existant (my opinion) . Adding diversity to the writing is not a bad thing but BG is not a political tool and shouldent have any political statements, it is a game and at the end of the day people want to enjoy it without being force fed social justice.

That being said i have no beef at all with the trans NPC in SOD , she was written just fine in my opinion.

It's not all about the transsexual like alotta people seem to believe, its the whole thing inter woven that is the problem. Yeh Jaheira was slightly nagging but she had bigger balls then most and was the strongest female in the game. She was the hot ballsy mother character. Not a nagging wife.
    Post edited by Mephiston87 on

Well, I still haven't seen any thing that suggests that these (again, rather stupid, if true) statements actually are true. So I have strong doubts about this (to put it mildly).

Dude they are true, the devs came out and said her attitude was due to a long day of interviews.
  • KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
    edited April 2016
    I don't want to add fuel to the fire and I'm not sure if anyone has already mentioned that, but it's worth noting that - apart from her healing services and the backstory - Mizhena is also involved in 2 sidequests:
    One involves mischief within the Coalition Camp, another a symbol of Tempus in Crusade's Camp.

Dude they are true, the devs came out and said her attitude was due to a long day of interviews.
    The interview is true, yes. However, the false part is an accusation of her saying that as a reaction to the release storm.
  • AshielAshiel Member Posts: 254
    Look, I don't have much of a dog in that fight but, I think the reason Mephiston doesn't trust SJWs is because that the accusation of pushing for equal numbers is the goal rather than equality. Equality would be everyone having the same opportunities, equal numbers is having quotas, regardless of people's interests. Everything about SJWs is vitriolic and hateful. Look at how people are talking to Mephiston for simply speaking about a concern that he has. Look at how people have spoken to me, for voicing a concern about how we're depicted and what kind of effect it's having on people's perceptions of us.

There's a lot of very well thought out and well explained examples of why SJWs, feminism, and related movements aren't doing very well. I will even link to some examples, if asked (preferably politely). However, there's enough problems going on surrounding these things, and it's only getting worse. We're already seeing companies censor their games (like Rainbow Mika is SF5), stores pulling games from shelves, and people pressuring companies like Obsidian to change their content.

And, unfortunately, a lot of the poop-slinging works. I think a number of gamers are beginning to realize that. Gamers are now expressing their displeasure with companies in much the same way those who are against them are doing, because it apparently gets results. I suspect it's only going to get uglier from here, with each new battle fueling the fire.

John F. Kennedy said, "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". I would prefer to avoid that, but it often seems like the lines are being drawn and I'm sitting around like Bilbo wondering "wtf do we gotta fight?"
    Krotos said:

I don't want to add fuel to the fire and I'm not sure if anyone has already mentioned that, but it's worth noting that - apart from her healing services and the backstory - Mizhena is also involved in 2 sidequests:

One involves mischief within the Coalition Camp, another a symbol of Tempus in Crusade's Camp.
    It's nice get more input, but it's more a mute point as she is already apparently being "fixed". It's still prob not enough to change peoples opinions at all.
  • KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156

Krotos said:

It's nice get more input, but it's more a mute point as she is already apparently being "fixed". It's still prob not enough to change peoples opinions at all.
    I believe the only thing they plan to change is the part that sparked so much controversy aka the way she presents her backstory. At least that seems like the logical approach.

Amber scott

It's not hard to connect the dots with so much that has happened, coincidence? Maybe, but doubtful.
    There is literally nothing sinister about the first quote. She's just saying she found a couple of characters written with sexist tropes, and a desire to do better. There's nothing wrong with this.

The second quote is in response to people calling her an SJW. That's the only reason she says she is one, because people are calling her that. And the reason they are calling her that is because of Hexxat, if I recall correctly. It's a convenient quote to take out of context, but doesn't quite mean what you say it means.
    Ashiel said:

Look, I don't have much of a dog in that fight but, I think the reason Mephiston doesn't trust SJWs is because that the accusation of pushing for equal numbers is the goal rather than equality. Equality would be everyone having the same opportunities, equal numbers is having quotas, regardless of people's interests. Everything about SJWs is vitriolic and hateful. Look at how people are talking to Mephiston for simply speaking about a concern that he has. Look at how people have spoken to me, for voicing a concern about how we're depicted and what kind of effect it's having on people's perceptions of us.

There's a lot of very well thought out and well explained examples of why SJWs, feminism, and related movements aren't doing very well. I will even link to some examples, if asked (preferably politely). However, there's enough problems going on surrounding these things, and it's only getting worse. We're already seeing companies censor their games (like Rainbow Mika is SF5), stores pulling games from shelves, and people pressuring companies like Obsidian to change their content.

And, unfortunately, a lot of the poop-slinging works. I think a number of gamers are beginning to realize that. Gamers are now expressing their displeasure with companies in much the same way those who are against them are doing, because it apparently gets results. I suspect it's only going to get uglier from here, with each new battle fueling the fire.

John F. Kennedy said, "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". I would prefer to avoid that, but it often seems like the lines are being drawn and I'm sitting around like Bilbo wondering "wtf do we gotta fight?"

I'm jealous of how u write so well. I just blurt crap out, you make it look classy and official.
    Krotos said:

The interview is true, yes. However, the false part is an accusation of her saying that as a reaction to the release storm.
    Yeh those quotes were a month or more ago ish. Not ages ago but close enough to have serious weight.
This discussion has been closed.