Skip to content

Trans person responds to Amber Scott and the other writers

Comments

• Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    BGLover said:

Can somebody explain to me, why on one hand "apparently" trans people do not in real life talk about their sexuality very open but in these threads they feel the need to expose themselves as being trans or on facebook and youtube and so forth?
    To me this whole debate seems like it got blown out of proportions and sometimes it's even questionable whether every person outing themselves as trans is truly so.

Are you suggesting that some people might tell little fibs in their posts?

If so I agree. I am beginning to suspect that alot of people who have joined the forum recently (lowers voice to speak in a hushed whisper), don't actually care about Baldurs Gate at all!
    Not even suggesting it, but some posts are very suspicious. :)
    As to not caring about Baldur's Gate. I'm afraid amny of these people never heard of this game before this debate.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited April 2016
    BGLover said:

If so I agree. I am beginning to suspect that alot of people who have joined the forum recently (lowers voice to speak in a hushed whisper), don't actually care about Baldurs Gate at all!

All I'm saying is that... they take our posts. They don't share our values. They don't respect the laws of our moderators. They destroy the labor market, as they are willing to post material for less likes, agrees and insightfuls. Their customs are incompatible with our way of life.

The refugees of the culture war undermine the very fabric of our forum. There is only one solution: We must deport Gamergate, then build a wall and make the SJWs pay for it.
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    Oh Boo, Oh Boo, Oh Boo Boo Boo....

We don't need walls.

Let us welcome these interlopers into our hearts, and convince them with the beauty of the architecture of Candlekeep. That feeling of relief when you reach the Friendly Arm Inn for the first time. The euphoria when you uncover what has been going on in the mines. And so on.

And then, when they are BG Lovers like you and me, we can proudly send them back into the world, to spread the Word.
  • KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181
    BillyBro said:

No matter how he she was written, in the end, it was but a political statement. No outcry because he was the first transgender npc to tell us stuff in depth? The problem isn't one transgender npc, the problem is one transgender npc per game with nothing but teaching us what it is to be a transgender, when we buy games written "fantasy" on it.

Fantasy games and book teach me a lot of thing and always have political "sound like real life" or "near from real life" statements.

But I agree with one thing: we definitivly need more than one transgender character and more gender related content in our games. One clearly isn't enough.

• Mephiston87Mephiston87 Member Posts: 178
    KcoQuidam said:

BillyBro said:

No matter how he she was written, in the end, it was but a political statement. No outcry because he was the first transgender npc to tell us stuff in depth? The problem isn't one transgender npc, the problem is one transgender npc per game with nothing but teaching us what it is to be a transgender, when we buy games written "fantasy" on it.

Fantasy games and book teach me a lot of thing and always have political "sound like real life" or "near from real life" statements.

But I agree with one thing: we definitivly need more than one transgender character and more gender related content in our games. One clearly isn't enough.

No we Don't need a Thing, let the developers decide. That is a hardcore sjw comment. No pressure on the devs from any sources at all including their own writers!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited April 2016
    BGLover said:

Oh Boo, Oh Boo, Oh Boo Boo Boo....

We don't need walls.

Let us welcome these interlopers into our hearts, and convince them with the beauty of the architecture of Candlekeep. That feeling of relief when you reach the Friendly Arm Inn for the first time. The euphoria when you uncover what has been going on in the mines. And so on.

And then, when they are BG Lovers like you and me, we can proudly send them back into the world, to spread the Word.

nice one!

Yes, yes, I agree of course. As long as they assimilate. Also, they must pass a hamster background check (as Minsc says, "Boo has an uncanny judge of character"). Dangerous times, with the Iron Crisis and all.
    What a wonderful idea Boo.

Perhaps we should suggest it to Beamdog - a little test before people can make a post. Like a random question on a small inconsequential matter to do with Baldurs Gate before any comment is posted.

'Your post will be added as soon as you answer the following question. Who gives you persmission to enter Nashkel Mines. '

A Simon
    B Wilbur
    C Emerson
    D Arkwright

You have 5 seconds to respond or your post will be deleted unposted'

BGLover said:

What a wonderful idea Boo.

Perhaps we should suggest it to Beamdog - a little test before people can make a post. Like a random question on a small inconsequential matter to do with Baldurs Gate before any comment is posted.

'Your post will be added as soon as you answer the following question. Who gives you persmission to enter Nashkel Mines. '

A Simon
    B Wilbur
    C Emerson
    D Arkwright

You have 5 seconds to respond or your post will be deleted unposted'

I think it's Emerson but I don't bother remembering basic npc names often
  • AshielAshiel Member Posts: 254
    This... this I have concerns about. Your situation has multiple members of a group reacting negatively to the person in question regardless of what they do, and the polite situation has the person receiving verbal abuse say, "It is fine," even apologizing that who they are, regardless of what they are doing, makes them uncomfortable in the hope that they will overcome their inherently prejudiced views, keeping in mind that even if they do overcome said views, it will likely be over the course of many sessions during which they are passively, if not actively, hostile to your very presence.
    Most people won't be, but the simple fact of the matter is you're not going to solve the problem by fighting about it. All you're going to do is damage your position with the rest of the group. It's not always easy, but that's life. There will always be some asshole that wants to have a problem with you, no matter who you are. Doesn't matter if you're rich, poor, male, female, black, white, up, or down, somebody, somewhere, will dislike you.

But it's not about those people. It's about being the bigger person, and just being there to play some fawkin' Street Fighter. This is your place too, and being an upstanding member of your community is what gets results, not whining, not playing the victim, and not expecting special treatment. It's not always easy but it's effective. It gets results. Positive, good results.

All those Neutral people will come to respect and appreciate you, because you are bringing something - your good qualities - to the group. They will defend you against the jerks, and vouch on your behalf because you will be their friend. Not some crazy who constantly goes on about how oppressed they are and how privileged they are for not being in your shoes.
    I fully respect your own perspective, but for me, the idea of tolerating verbal abuse over who I am, then spending my own free time with those who abuse me, in the hopes that their friends will tolerate me is not something that I would ever want to participate in.
    Well, what would you do? Just not play Street Fighter because two assholes out of ten might say something not nice to you? You're not here for that bunch, you're hear to SHORYUKEN with everybody else. That's what you are spending your free time doing. You are being part of that community, and the community will become more your own.

It sure as hell isn't by telling the community what assholes they collectively are because of those 2 guys. You're going to alienate yourself, because #1, that's insulting to the other 7 guys there, and #2, they are here to SHORYUKEN and you're actively making that a miserable experience for them.
    I get the analogy that you are trying to make, but the example that you use is one that relies on a mindset that I don't feel is entirely healthy for the person entering the situation, given that it relies on the premise that you are not entitled to emotional security and safety, that you have to sacrifice such things in order to participate in activities that you would otherwise enjoy.
    There is very little in this world that you or I am entitled to. "Emotional security" is not one of those things, because you cannot (and should not) police other people's thoughts and feelings, anymore than they should police your own (and there are those that would, those that would see us as abominable).

While we might be, loosely, entitled to safety (it's illegal to assault, maim, murder, etc), there are always people who will ignore this (out of hatred, greed, mental instability, etc), and part of being responsible for yourself is being smart about things. And let me say, alienating yourself and others in your position from being considered a member of a community makes it a hell of a lot more likely that nobody is going to have your back when you need them.

So sometimes, you just have to accept it's raining, put on your raincoat, and go out and dig some ditches so stuff doesn't flood. It can be hard, but it can be rewarding, and people will appreciate it a lot more than sitting inside whining about the rain and demanding everyone else dig your ditches for you.
    edited April 2016

KcoQuidam said:

BillyBro said:

No we Don't need a Thing, let the developers decide. That is a hardcore sjw comment. No pressure on the devs from any sources at all including their own writers!
    You forgot the "except when it's about removing a Minsc line I dislike and rewrite a character I also dislike" at your "No pressure on the dev".

And thank to finaly answers one of my message. I start thinking you can't because you have always ignore all my message where I say "I'm a trans person and have no problem with this character and her writer and I'm not the only one" when you start talking for all or most of the LGBT people saying we all agree with the fact she have bad written just a political agenda. Glad your eyes problems have stop.
    Oh, while I think of it, this is also totaly subject relatate. Another trans person point Amber Scott writing as a very good example on how to write trans character.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/270060/Opinion_So_you_want_to_write_a_trans_character.php
    edited April 2016
    KcoQuidam said:

KcoQuidam said:

BillyBro said:

You forgot the "except when it's about removing a Minsc line I dislike and rewrite a character I also dislike" at your "No pressure on the dev".

And thank to finaly answers one of my message. I start thinking you can't because you have always ignore all my message where I say "I'm a trans person and have no problem with this character and her writer and I'm not the only one" when you start talking for all or most of the LGBT people saying we all agree with the fact she have bad written just a political agenda. Glad your eyes problems have stop.
    Oh the trans person should be sorted immediately, in this case the vocal sjw writers were pushing their political agenders, It's obviously been added sneakily including the gamer gate referance. How minsc's referance alone got past testing/the developers is shocking. Unless the devs are all sjw's too on a crusade to fill baldure's gate with propaganda I'm uncertain. Not to mention editing the females, amber Scott is evil.

Can somebody explain to me, why on one hand "apparently" trans people do not in real life talk about their sexuality

1. Because it doesn't come up and just starting random conversations about your sexuality isn't something you do in most cases.
    2. Because being transgendered isn't a sexuality.
    3. Because not everyone wants to explain their personal business with people they'll see every day.
    4. Because at the end of the day, people you meet online are just "online people", and it's easier to talk about to perfect strangers you'll never see.
    5. Because you care about someone who wouldn't adequately understand.
    6. Because it's the topic of discussion.
    7. Because it's often easier to sing in front of a crowd than sing in front of a few.
    very open but in these threads they feel the need to expose themselves as being trans or on facebook and youtube and so forth?
    I have no intention of bringing it up on my facebook page, nor on youtube (when I get a youtube channel), because it's not everyone's business. Online I've mentioned it in threads that pertain to it, and offline I've mentioned it to some friends, a few family, and in some cases a few strangers when the need arose (such as when politely explaining that it's all what you see in the media).

It's not my defining feature. I don't have a reason to go around telling just everyone, and I actually have a few reasons not to (for example, my father doesn't need to worry about it). If someone asks, I'll answer honestly, no matter who it is (including my father), but it's just not something that's worth advertising at the moment (and I'll deal with issues of hormone therapy later, if I ever decide if it's worth the effort and the money to do so; though it's damn tempting, I'm trying to save money to start a business to be financially secure in my future).
    To me this whole debate seems like it got blown out of proportions and sometimes it's even questionable whether every person outing themselves as trans is truly so.
    Always be a skeptic. But be a skeptic with an open mind.
    edited April 2016
    KcoQuidam said:

Oh, while I think of it, this is also totaly subject relatate. Another trans person point Amber Scott writing as a very good example on how to write trans character.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/270060/Opinion_So_you_want_to_write_a_trans_character.php

Yes let's trust a non trans person to educate the masses on how to create a trans person... . If I was transsexual I would be insulted.
    Ashiel said:

Can somebody explain to me, why on one hand "apparently" trans people do not in real life talk about their sexuality

1. Because it doesn't come up and just starting random conversations about your sexuality isn't something you do in most cases.
    3. Because not everyone wants to explain their personal business with people they'll see every day.
    4. Because at the end of the day, people you meet online are just "online people", and it's easier to talk about to perfect strangers you'll never see.
    7. Because it's often easier to sing in front of a crowd than sing in front of a few.ly so.
    See your point here. But that's real-life problem. I don't think me MUST bring this into a fictional world where there dragon and half-elf no ? That's pretty much a "political view enfoncement" to bring this in the Realms than having character talking on this subjects without problem imho. In this way the complaints look way more toi me like political enfoncement than the game's writing.

BGLover said:

Can somebody explain to me, why on one hand "apparently" trans people do not in real life talk about their sexuality very open but in these threads they feel the need to expose themselves as being trans or on facebook and youtube and so forth?

As to not caring about Baldur's Gate. I'm afraid amny of these people never heard of this game before this debate.
    We good yet?
    edited April 2016

KcoQuidam said:

Yes let's trust a non trans person to educate the masses on how to create a trans person... . If I was transsexual I would be insulted.
    Oh dear if you REALY care about trans people speaking maybe you must read at what they write ? Even when they doesn't agree with you (just like this article, wrote by an openly public trans person. And most of my past messages you don't even bother to answer). And start talk less by yourself maybe ?

It's a rethorical question. Don't bother answer it. Like you say if you was a trans person (so you aren't) you don't trust non-trans people on this issue. Start apply that to yourself please.
    edited April 2016
    KcoQuidam said:

Ashiel said:

7. Because it's often easier to sing in front of a crowd than sing in front of a few.ly so.
    See your point here. But that's real-life problem. I don't think me MUST bring this into a fictional world where there dragon and half-elf no ? That's pretty much a "political view enfoncement" to bring this in the Realms than having character talking on this subjects without problem imho. In this way the complaints look way more toi me like political enfoncement than the game's writing.
    Then why put the character in there? The first magical item is one that changes your sex and there are many low level spells that do the same. In that world changing gender is common as gnolls. How is it relevant at all when people are dying all around you?

"Kill them all chop their heads off and defile their carcasses! oh by the way my name is X I'm a transsexual. burn their women and children! Raaaaaah!

.... amber Scott is evil.

I hope this is part of the last drip drip of bile and venom that seeps out after the tap* has been turned off.

*I believe our American cousins call it a faucet?
    edited April 2016
    BGLover said:

.... amber Scott is evil.

I hope this is part of the last drip drip of bile and venom that seeps out after the tap* has been turned off.

*I believe our American cousins call it a faucet?
    No idea what yanks call it, and calling someone evil is a person's point of view. Not an insult. Sjw's are evil. Every time u click to create aN "evil" character are u insulting your own character?
    edited April 2016

KcoQuidam said:

Ashiel said:

Then why put the character in there? The first magical item is one that changes your sex and there are many low level spells that do the same. In that world changing gender is common as gnolls. How is it relevant at all when people are dying all around you?

"Kill them all chop their heads off and defile their carcasses! oh by the way my name is X I'm a transsexual. burn their women and children! Raaaaaah!
    Maybe if you read what trans people (even the one who disagree with you) have write on this forum and on other subject you will have your answer. This question was already answered more than it need. On more than it need thread. AND it was one of my answer of one of your past message.

Obvious" concern" troll here.
    edited April 2016
    KcoQuidam said:

KcoQuidam said:

Ashiel said:

Maybe if you read what trans people (even the one who disagree with you) have write on this forum and on other subject you will have your answer. This question was already answered more than it need. On more than it need thread. AND it was one of my answer of one of your past message.

Obvious" concern" troll here.
    Actually it's never been answered properly, it's a winning point that is why I used it. Eliminster, drizzit , volo and many many others have a far more creative and exotic name the her and yet hers is interesting somehow?
    Ashiel said:

BGLover said:

We good yet?
    Ashiel,have you been insulting people? Have you been abusing people? Have you been participating in a concerted campaign to discredit and undermine Siege of Dragonspear for reasons that seem to have little (if anything) to do with the game. Have you resorted to name calling and using perjorative labels.

No?

Then we are good!

I've said it many times, but I have absolutely no problem with people complaining and criticising Siege of Dragonspear and/or Beamdog over things like bugs, functionality (and lack of), unnecessary changes to the UI, the quality (or otherwise) of the writing, and so on. In my time lurking on this forum over the years I've seen lots of that, and I've personally never had a problem with it.

What do I have a problem with? Singling out a particular employee of Beamdog and calling them evil, and seeing nothing wrong with doing that.
    KcoQuidam said:

Ashiel said:

Some might. Posters like Mephiston87 clearly don't want political pushing in a game that they love. Others, like myself and apparently the OP (from the Steam post), feel a combination of used and let down. We get to be the sword and shield of people admittedly pushing an agenda, and it makes us look bad to the rest of our community because people associate this BS with us.

Now as for how common or accepted transgenderism is in the Forgotten Realms...I have no idea. I'm not an expert on the Forgotten Realms, outside of a campaign book I used to run a game with some years ago, and PC games like BG and NWN. Maybe it's not even a thing, but it feels a little cheap to me (of course, the NPCs in the first Wrath of the Righteous adventure path felt pretty cheap too, so maybe it's just me). This is where I'm disappointed. I feel like it could have been an opportunity to have a character that was interesting and endearing, but that may be wishing for too much.

I do regret that it will probably further color the reception of tg characters in future works, and require the writer to be all the more elegant to avoid invoking memories of this incident.
    BGLover said:

Ashiel said:

BGLover said:

We good yet?
    Ashiel,have you been insulting people? Have you been abusing people? Have you been participating in a concerted campaign to discredit and undermine Siege of Dragonspear for reasons that seem to have little (if anything) to do with the game. Have you resorted to name calling and using perjorative labels.

No?

Then we are good!

I've said it many times, but I have absolutely no problem with people complaining and criticising Siege of Dragonspear and/or Beamdog over things like bugs, functionality (and lack of), unnecessary changes to the UI, the quality (or otherwise) of the writing, and so on. In my time lurking on this forum over the years I've seen lots of that, and I've personally never had a problem with it.

What do I have a problem with? Singling out a particular employee of Beamdog and calling them evil, and seeing nothing wrong with doing that.
    What is wrong with evil? You have a problem with evil people now?
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975

Then why put the character in there? The first magical item is one that changes your sex and there are many low level spells that do the same. In that world changing gender is common as gnolls.

There is an AWFUL lot of wrong in those sentences. Let's unpack it a little.

1) Why put a trans character in a game? Because the game is intended to reflect the real world; the real world has trans people. Why is anybody in the game? Why are any men in the game?

2) The Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity is not the "first magical item". The first magical item is a +1 dagger. It's not the second magical item either (that's the belt you find on Gorion's corpse). And the third magical item could be damn near anything (since after that you're free to go wherever); for most people, it will be the ring that gives double level 1 spells outside the FAI.

3) The Girdle is a cursed item. It is also very rare; there's exactly one in the entirety of not just BG1, but also BG2 and ToB. Also, after being used once, it loses its magic and becomes a mundane item (in the actual game, which you're clearly using, since there are no spells that can deliberately change gender in the video game).

4) It is flagrantly untrue to say that "many low level spells" can change gender.

5) Surviving a gender change through a polymorph other spell requires a system shock roll to survive, so it'll kill a significant portion of people trying this method.

6) The costs of magical items and permanent polymorph spells put them far out of reach of the average person.

7) Here's the big one you and all the other Mizhena haters seem to completely miss: how on earth do you know that she didn't already use magical means to transition? All she tells you was a) she was raised as a boy, b) came to realise she is a woman, c) now has a new name that suits her better than her original one.

So maybe she already used the girdle, or a polymorph spell, or it was a boon from her god, or some other means. Or maybe she didn't. Charname doesn't ask and she doesn't volunteer the information, since she's only answering a question about why her old name didn't suit her.

But you all pretend like she's going "Oh woe is me, I'm a woman trapped in the body of a man!" when she said absolutely nothing of the sort.
    Ashiel said:

KcoQuidam said:

Ashiel said:

Some might. Posters like Mephiston87 clearly don't want political pushing in a game that they love. Others, like myself and apparently the OP (from the Steam post), feel a combination of used and let down. We get to be the sword and shield of people admittedly pushing an agenda, and it makes us look bad to the rest of our community because people associate this BS with us.

Now as for how common or accepted transgenderism is in the Forgotten Realms...I have no idea. I'm not an expert on the Forgotten Realms, outside of a campaign book I used to run a game with some years ago, and PC games like BG and NWN. Maybe it's not even a thing, but it feels a little cheap to me (of course, the NPCs in the first Wrath of the Righteous adventure path felt pretty cheap too, so maybe it's just me). This is where I'm disappointed. I feel like it could have been an opportunity to have a character that was interesting and endearing, but that may be wishing for too much.

I do regret that it will probably further color the reception of tg characters in future works, and require the writer to be all the more elegant to avoid invoking memories of this incident.
    Mines a mix, I hate seeing minorities being used as "weapons" to wage a political war with. Sjw's love using them and abusing them and making them targets, ultimately once the minority is copping the flak the sjw's flee to bask in their own self righteousness. And yes I hate games at all being censored or altered in almost any way to suit what the sjw's oppi ions. Video games are art to me basically and should be used as such, if u want to push an agenda sure call it "pushing the agenda, siege of dragonspear" not baldure's gate.

BGLover said:

Ashiel said:

BGLover said:

We good yet?

No?

Then we are good!

What is wrong with evil? You have a problem with evil people now?
    MFW: people ask me if I have a problem with evil people

Well Done lol.
    BGLover said:

Ashiel said:

BGLover said:

We good yet?

No?

Then we are good!

Well, there's only a few of us that I've seen in this thread that have admitted to be being transgendered. There's a lot of people talking about us in both directions, and even we don't see eye to eye on things (because we're individuals, not a hive :tongue: ); and the posts I responded to were in regards to the suspicion that people in the thread claiming to be transgendered weren't, and a followup post concerned with whether or not those discussing the issue even had an interest in BG.

So I answered one set of questions, and then provided some evidence that I've been around doing BG stuff for a while. I don't frequent the forums often (rather sporadically even). I read the OP of this thread, felt pretty same-y, cast my two coppers into the pile, and here we are now.

I do think calling people "evil" might be a little extreme, but it might just mean we need to take a breather. It's evident that our culture has been poisoned too much. After you've been poked enough, all you see is a monster, and Amber Scott's antics are far from the first of social justice poking (Anita Sarkeesian, for example, is like the trident queen when it comes to unduly poking gamers). It builds up after a while.
This discussion has been closed.