Skip to content

The Candlekeep Library: Dorn Il-Khan

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Dorn could use a bath though...
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Tanthalas And some shampoo and conditioner! ;)
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Tanthalas @LadyRhian @Quartz

So what's the deal with the peach fuzz on his upper lip? Is that a Half-Orc thing or is he going for the old woman look?
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Mortianna "Next Day Shadow"? ;)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Mortianna said:

@Tanthalas @LadyRhian @Quartz

So what's the deal with the peach fuzz on his upper lip? Is that a Half-Orc thing or is he going for the old woman look?

Ahaha! Idk probably peach fuzz? Pretty sure adventurers don't necessarily shave every day. Especially if we're talking about a half-orc, if he's stereotypically loaded with testosterone then shaving once a day even might not be enough. Eww.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Dave said:

@Mortianna Would it help alleviate the wait if we were to post more stories?

Since we're about a month away from the release, any chance we'll be gifted with another story or two?
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Posts: 201
    @mortianna

Thank you, I was about to ask the same.
  • maneromanero Member Posts: 392
    I must say that Dorn Il-Khan the Blackguard is... a bit trashy. I don't like his portrait and general concept.
  • DaveDave Member Posts: 200
    There is a chance.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited October 2012
    manero said:

I must say that Dorn Il-Khan the Blackguard is... a bit trashy. I don't like his portrait and general concept.

I don't get how this adds to the discussion unless you go into more detail. What do you mean by trashy? And what don't you like?

And I don't mean to sound accusing. I just want you to go into more detail.

(Also despite my avatar there are a few things I don't like about Dorn so far either, so don't think I'm going to eat you alive, saying "he's da perfect character shaddup!!" ... for instance I won't lie, I didn't like his story as there was loads of unclear motivation, and besides that his obsession with "strength" in the story annoyed me. Though the latter annoyed me on a personal level, so that's legit, the former just seems like bad storytelling)
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    Just recently finished reading this story. This has to be my favorite of the three so far. In a few short paragraphs you get a real sense for the state of race relations in the world and a lot of insight into the source of Dorn's problems and anger.
  • maneromanero Member Posts: 392
    edited October 2012
    Och comon. Half orc, blackguard, strenght obsession? Ive seen it so many times in other games, movies, books that all can i say is - yawn... I would never let him join my party. Rather kill him just for lulz. Yeah im sure. I will rip his head off and shit down his neck. There can be only 2 bad guys across The Sword Coast, me and Sarevok ;)
    More BG fiction is in various stages of composition, editing, or approval, but if you're impatient, this might be of interest: http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ldwu?Queen-of-Thorns-Sample-Chapter-Scavenger-Hunt
  • AdaramAdaram Member Posts: 146
    I liked Dorn's story and look forward to seeing what the game has in store for him!
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    manero said:

Och comon. Half orc, blackguard, strenght obsession? Ive seen it so many times in other games, movies, books that all can i say is - yawn... I would never let him join my party. Rather kill him just for lulz. Yeah im sure. I will rip his head off and shit down his neck. There can be only 2 bad guys across The Sword Coast, me and Sarevok ;)

So only players are allowed to min/max chars?

I personally don't care for playing like that, as I think it ruins the immersion and challenge, but I'd rather have a developer designed character that may be overpowered than have my own character be overpowered.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @bigdogchris @manero Dorn is also much better written than the standard half-orc blackguards you see running around in tabletop play.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    Aosaw said:

@bigdogchris @manero Dorn is also much better written than the standard half-orc blackguards you see running around in tabletop play.

I have no qualms about Dorn or their ability to write the character. I was simply trying to point out the irony of @manero's complaints, as players are usually the ones to do min/max builds.

• MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    In one of Dorn's sample clips, we heard him saying "don't bother", in regard to the source of his power, him being a Blackguard.

I wonder, does he react at all, or have an extra dialogue line somewhere if they player is also a Blackguard? Does he comment on that?
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I get the sense that Dorn is going to be pretty smart. And that should be fertile ground for a character who is already a fish-out-of-water racially. I expect him not to just be strong, but smart and charismatic as well. Yet due to his race he should be treated as an outcast by most of the Western Heartlands communities. So how does he find an outlet for the Int and Cha? Anyway, I really look forward to seeing how he is developed.
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    But the bigger question is; CAN YOU ROMANCE HIM OR WHAT???
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    I thought all three new NPCs were romanceable.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I believe they all are, although I recall reading that it's more akin to a friendship path in BG1 that can become an actual romance in BG2. And one of the NPCs will be bisexual.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Its basically as Lemernis says. The romances in BG1 are really just a beginning.
  • IrishThunderIrishThunder Member Posts: 2
    His voice is to roleplay what Barry White was to gettingplay
  • AmbroStoicsAmbroStoics Member Posts: 2
    Lemernis said:

I believe they all are, although I recall reading that it's more akin to a friendship path in BG1 that can become an actual romance in BG2. And one of the NPCs will be bisexual.

Do we find out in BG1 who the bi one is? I want to plan a char who goes gay, but without knowing if it's Dorn or Rashaad I don't know what alignment party to make it. If anyone knows PM me pls. :)
  • DeimosComicsDeimosComics Member Posts: 8
    This was an amazing read! Very skillfully written to even imply all the adult references. Dorn is lead character material! I can't wait to play the game again. Thank you for this nostalgic gift!
  • FyreFyre Member Posts: 28
    Evil or not, Dorn is for sure, one of the new "Minsc" in material.

Ie; His personality is top grade, and is in for his ability to be a firm character with an in-depth personality.
    @PDaigle did a terrific job of establishing Dorn's voice and character, making it a breeze to follow up.
  • FyreFyre Member Posts: 28
    @Dave Indeed, that he did. He may not gain as big of a fan following, but he is, at the least, the same grade character of someone like Cadderly.
  • FentonFenton Member Posts: 38
    I am loving Dorn so far. Every since my Blackguard recruited him to the party, I'm hitting his quest line up after clearing the areas south of the Friendly Arms Inn. I even made him my second command too.
This discussion has been closed.