Skip to content

The Candlekeep Library: Dorn Il-Khan

Comments

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Jalily said:

@PhillipDaigle You mean the comments in the mp3s?

rasaad01.mp3: Special thanks to RJD2 & Breezeblock for keeping me company while I export this. Oh wait that just ended now it's the Beastie Boys.
    rasaad02.mp3: This is probably the worst day to get sick. Why did I make out with that horse?
    rasaad03.mp3: I wonder if anyone will ever read this. If you are, congrats! You've discovered a minor easter egg.

neera01.mp3: Hell hounds are NOT a myth!
    neera02.mp3: @horse_ebooks you think you're so great don't you. i bet you dont even have any horse sense.
    neera03.mp3: Dare you investigate the mystery and horror of ID3v2?

dorn01.mp3: Dorn Dopplin'
    dorn02.mp3: You know what I don't see that often anymore? Heel spins.
    dorn03.mp3: You know what's a good album? Uneasy Listening by Z-Trip & DJ P. Go check that out.

I suspected that it has something to do with the VO, had no Idea how to save it on my computer though... Good job!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    Aosaw said:

@Quartz needs to be aware of this.

HAH! Thanks.

Gord Marriot is a wizard of voice acting, although we did apply some post processing effects to really bring out the Orc.

Ya, I could tell.

His voice isn't as good as, say, Kivan's, but it's a lot better than I was expecting. I dig it.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    Yes more I want more!!!!
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2012
    He's surely Neutral Evil, no doubts anymore.

Edit: By the way Dorn is too tribal to be the bi romance, surely now i think Rasaad is the by after read Dorn's background.
  • GrayvieGrayvie Member Posts: 49
    Great story... I'll say it's my second favorite after Rasaad's. And the voice acting is just perfect... love it.

Btw I always wanted to know - is there anyway to help a person trapped in a baldur's gate factory? Being lectured by Keldorn must be really boring...

My guess that easter eggs where in the names of sound files turned out wrong. They are simply called rasaad01.mp3, rasaad02.mp3 etc. Hope somebody has a better idea.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Grayvie said:

Great story... I'll say it's my second favorite after Rasaad's. And the voice acting is just perfect... love it.

Btw I always wanted to know - is there anyway to help a person trapped in a baldur's gate factory? Being lectured by Keldorn must be really boring...

My guess that easter eggs where in the names of sound files turned out wrong. They are simply called rasaad01.mp3, rasaad02.mp3 etc. Hope somebody has a better idea.

@Grayvie look at the top of the page, Jalily comment
  • GrayvieGrayvie Member Posts: 49
    @mch202:
    Well... I took my sweet time typing so when I started that comment wasn't there to see =)
    Congrats to Jalily =)
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    so you CAN romance this dude then?? :D even with a female half-orc maybe....? :))

The man choked, his fingernails scratching Dorn's forearm as he released his bladder. Dorn held him until the stream of urine trickled to a halt and the man ceased struggling.

BLADDER'S GATE
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Quartz I think those of us in less formal circles call that a "sphincter". ;)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Aosaw Baldur's Sphincter? Now that's somewhere I definitely *don't* want to go!
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @LadyRhian I'm sure it's in the works of being developed right now somewhere in a very dark corner of the modding community.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    evil ones do tend to have great voices, no? on par with viconia i think.

intelligent half orc... it seems there is no way to avoid the evil playthrough now... :)
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    WTF this character is not even evil. He's barely neutral. Killing someone Because they offended you doesn't make you evil. Hell even good characters can kill when offended.

I fail to see where that guy is evil : he definitively doesn't have this psycho attitude like edwin/sarevok/Xzar/Montaron and all the other evil characters.

How is he evil? He's he sadistic toward innocent people? Because being sadistic toward your enemies/bad people is barely evil.

He just seems bitter because very body mistreat him. I'm not sure if the other understand the real definition of evil. Evil idoesn't just mean looking cool,dark and killing jerks. It means killing a lot of innocent, taking pleasure from it, and being the bad guy not the victim of others prejudice.
  • LaflammeLaflamme Member Posts: 54

Evil doesn't just mean looking cool, dark and killing jerks. It means killing a lot of innocent, taking pleasure from it, and being the bad guy, not the victim of others prejudice.

Yeah! This! Why isn't this level one character overpowered already? And why is he multidimensional? Why does he have set goals, instead of perpetrating random acts of violence? That's not evil, that's… relatable!

I'm very, very disappointed.

Is that my start as a villain, @Flashburn?

:P
    I didn't saw him make anything that could be called evil in this big introduction. There is nothing evil about killing someone that offended you. A lot of neutral/good character kill when offended.

If you want to introduce a character, introduce it's alignment properly, because right now he just look like a hot tempered victim.
    To be absolutely fair, the purpose of these excerpts isn't to tell us the mechanical specifications of these characters. It's to give us a hint of what their stories are.

You'll get a much better sense of "alignment" and even their actual personality when you play the game itself.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @GueulEclator, you don't need to be sick to be labeled as evil, if that was true Edwin would be an standart of virtue.

The stregh rules all is a chaotic evil behavior but based on the whole story of Dorn, i believe that he's Neutral Evil.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Mortianna I bet it's smelly as well as dark!
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    cool back story
    BUT (my break w/ all of the other opinions)...i find the voice to be rather generic-sounding...i like the timbre of his voice, however, as he was raised by orcs & has to question his own usage of the Common tongue, I would have liked him to have an accent to reflect his racial/social heritage
    @rexreg I think that, to the contrary, one of the reasons Dorn is so eloquent is because he's not speaking his native language. There's a casualness that you have with your own language that doesn't necessarily translate when you're speaking a language you learn later, and mastering the linguistic concepts of grammar and syntax means that often a non-native speaker will sound more fluent than a native one.

@Dave and @PhillipDaigle may or may not have considered that when they created Dorn, but it does make sense. He's an intelligent guy, so it's reasonable to expect him to have studied the language of humans extensively, if only to allow him to better hunt down and murder them.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    @Aosaw I agree with you, in part; my girl friend is from Russia & her English grammar & syntax are flawless--sometimes better than mine. However, she has a noticeable accent, as well...
    i have no problem with how polished Dorn's syntax is...nothing wrong w/ an educated 1/2-Orc...i guess i mentioned my 'thing' w/ his voice because of the mention in the story of him questioning his own use of the Common tongue
    please understand i am not complaining...this is the first video game release i've been truly geeked about in years...
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    Dorn's story sounds pretty good, I am going to have to find a way to squeeze him into my party in the first or second play through.
    kamuizin said:

@GueulEclator, you don't need to be sick to be labeled as evil, if that was true Edwin would be an standart of virtue.

The stregh rules all is a chaotic evil behavior but based on the whole story of Dorn, i believe that he's Neutral Evil.

But what makes him evil? To be evil you need to be completely immoral, enjoy the pain of other (even those who are innocent), accomplish clear evil deeds (inflict pain on innocent)... That kind of stuff.

What has that guy done that is evil? NOTHING. What he just did to those guys, even a good character could have done it, or at least a neutral.

He just looks like he is the victim of society, and therefore is bitter and hot tempered : he inflict pain on jerks.
    He is pretty much neutral. Not evil. It's also the current direction of modern video games, in which you hardly play with real psychos (not just in appearance : cruel, immoral...) anymore. Not a lot of writers have the ''balls'' to create such characters and make them team up with the hero.
    edited September 2012
    @GueulEclator Somehow I don't think you *want* to agree with us even after making all these legitimate points. Now you're just being stubborn.

You really don't see the evil in killing bullies? Really? Bullies create more bullies, we all know that. And why the hell would a neutral character KILL a bully? I just don't see it dude. I know this is the Forgotten Realms, but seriously.

Also, your idea that all Evil characters have to be psychotic is silly. That's Chaotic Evil. Lawful Evil and Neutral Evil characters are very rarely psychotic.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited September 2012

To be evil you need to be completely immoral, enjoy the pain of other (even those who are innocent), accomplish clear evil deeds (inflict pain on innocent)... That kind of stuff.

That fits the description for Chaotic Evil, according to AD&D 2E. You don't need to be Heath Ledger's Joker in order to be considered evil.

He just looks like he is the victim of society, and therefore is bitter and hot tempered : he inflict pain on jerks.

Dude, he straight-up *murders* jerks.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356

But what makes him evil? To be evil you need to be completely immoral, enjoy the pain of other (even those who are innocent), accomplish clear evil deeds (inflict pain on innocent)... That kind of stuff.

What has that guy done that is evil? NOTHING. What he just did to those guys, even a good character could have done it, or at least a neutral.

He is pretty much neutral. Not evil. It's also the current direction of modern video games, in which you hardly play with real psychos (not just in appearance : cruel, immoral...) anymore. Not a lot of writers have the ''balls'' to create such characters and make them team up with the hero.

Keep in mind that this is a single slice of a much longer background story that will lead up to Dorn encountering your PC. We still don't know much about Dorn. Just because he hasn't danced around the town square with bloody entrails wrapped around his waist while juggling severed heads of Illmaterian priests doesn't mean he isn't evil to the core. What you've defined as evil seems to imply that every single act an evil individual does must necessarily lead to the abject misery and suffering of innocents.

Alignments are general tendencies of behavior, not compulsory scripts. Hannibal Lecter, the cannibalistic serial killer from The Silence of the Lambs, is arguably "pure evil," yet he doesn't kill, torture, and eat just any random person he happens to meet. Nor does he do "evil" acts every day. In fact, he is quite charming and cultured, and managed to become a renowned forensic psychiatrist.

My point is that the only difference between the evil of a Tanar'ri in the Abyss and the evil of a wholly evil mortal (Half-Orc, for example) on Faerûn is that everyone is (Chaotic) Evil in the Abyss; being openly and utterly evil is the norm there. On Faerûn, there are societies with people from all the various alignments--one way or another, they will keep each other in check. A Half-Orc going around acting like a Tanar'ri (or Yugoloth, since Dorn is likely Neutral Evil) in Luskan would certainly earn him the attention of lawful and good forces, and he'd probably get the smack down before he could reach level two.

Even though one may be utterly evil, it isn't always the best idea to cause evil when it would counterproductive to oneself or one's cause. After all, the reason Hannibal Lecter got caught was because he got sloppy.

This discussion has been closed.