Skip to content

Should BG2:EE include the "Ascension" mod by David Gaider?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited February 2013
    J.E. Sawyer's mod for New Vegas isn't a good comparison. It is a purely oversight/mechanics mod that DRASTICALLY ups the difficulty of the game. It doesn't change story elements, and it doesn't come in multiple components that let you pick your poisons a la carte. Acension could easily be implemented in a purely narrative sense.

The feasibility as a mod has already been addressed. Tablet users can't just slap on a mod like PC users can.

Though, on the narrative topic, exactly what do you have against extra epilogues and banters? Why do you not want those?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Bhaaldog said:

Erg said:

This conversation is going in circles and to prove that I'm going to reply to you by quoting a previous post (not even one of mine):

Ah but my dear Bhaalspawn @Erg that is surely where all the fun is?
    If your definition of fun includes talking to walls, then I must agree.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738

J.E. Sawyer's mod for New Vegas isn't a good comparison. It is a purely oversight/mechanics mod that DRASTICALLY ups the difficulty of the game. It doesn't change story elements, and it doesn't come in multiple components that let you pick your poisons a la carte. Acension could easily be implemented in a purely narrative sense.

The feasibility as a mod has already been addressed. Tablet users can't just slap on a mod like PC users can.

Though, on the narrative topic, exactly what do you have against extra epilogues and banters? Why do you not want those?

The solution the tablets, etc. would be to make Ascension an official mod, or DLC is you prefer, so that it could be downloaded from the store like anything else. It would be free of course though. That would be great for PC users too because there is good chance that the code changes in BG2EE will break it, and to have Overhaul make it available fully working on release day would be awesome.
    Messi said:

The solution the tablets, etc. would be to make Ascension an official mod, or DLC is you prefer, so that it could be downloaded from the store like anything else. It would be free of course though. That would be great for PC users too because there is good chance that the code changes in BG2EE will break it, and to have Overhaul make it available fully working on release day would be awesome.

I'd rather it was just an innate part of the game. There's really no reason for it to not be other than to appease a vocal minority.
    Messi said:

So there is sanity in all this madness!

@Bhaaldog :-p

I'd rather it was just an innate part of the game. There's really no reason for it to not be other than to appease a vocal minority.

As I said: walls!
    Erg said:

As I said: walls!

Due to what may be a combination of my laziness and the fact that this thread was already 8 pages long when it got necro'd, I haven't seen a good reason why more epilogues and banters are a bad thing. If you're reasoning is just "because it's not the vanilla game," then I'm afraid Overhaul has already set the precedent that such things are not a concern to them.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    It's not because ascension adds anything, it removes and replaces it. Big difference.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Again, I'd like to point out the poll is heavily biased in favour of including the mod, and therefore I hope the relevent parties listen to the arguments posted in the thread and not just the poll results.
    Bigfish said:

It's not because ascension adds anything, it removes and replaces it. Big difference.

What does it remove, exactly, a bunch of nameless minions the final boss summons?

edited February 2013

If you're reasoning is just "because it's not the vanilla game"

No that is not my reasoning. My reasoning is in my previous posts. I can write them, but I cannot read them for you.
  • StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
    edited February 2013
    It is pretty impressive how such a significant majority wants to see it implemented. 70% of people want their BG2 with it, no less. I should like to think it makes a loud enough scream to echo in them ivory towers.

I'd guess at least half of people voting no have never tried it.

In perfect world they'd rework significant portions of ToB storyline. Saga has a very powerful, tastefully made ending.(ending=stuff that happens after last fight is over) Story of the expansion as a whole is pretty pathetic though.

Has BG2:EE been officially confirmed?

Stradlin said:

Has BG2:EE been officially confirmed?

Yup
    Erg said:

No that is not my reasoning. My reasoning is in my previous posts. I can write them, but I cannot read them for you.

Then it shouldn't be too much trouble to ask that you copy-paste them? Please?
    Stradlin said:

I'd guess you didn't bother to read the whole thread :D
    edited February 2013
    Erg said:

Stradlin said:

Why, no Erg. I generally speaking don't enjoy reading through 500 posts worth of debate about BG2 mods. I'm more of a long walks on the beach kind of a guy rly!
    ....Specially when there isn't much at all to debate here, for someone who much enjoys a quality mod. Though I'm pretty sure 500 posts later I'd still think half of the people voting no have never tried it.
    Stradlin said:

Erg said:

Stradlin said:

Why, no Erg. I generally speaking don't enjoy reading through 500 posts worth of debate about BG2 mods.
    ....Specially when there isn't much at all to debate here, for someone who much enjoys a quality mod. Though I'm pretty sure 500 posts later I'd still think half of the people voting no have never tried it.
    Just because you enjoy the ascension mod (which a lot of people have voted no also do) it doesn't mean you should want it to be included. There are other factors to consider here.
    *considers various other factors*

* Still would love to see it included*

Erg said:

Then it shouldn't be too much trouble to ask that you copy-paste them? Please?
    A waste of my talents!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited February 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    It's not going to happen, nothing will change that. You may elaborate arguments and make polls but it is all useless.

I enjoy seeing how someone tries with a lot of effort... and fails n_n
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

Why just Ascension? Why not other mods? Why not make a whole "app store" for DLC content within the game itself, and allow mod authors to submit mods? Sure, compatibility might be an issue, but if it operated on something like WeiDU underneath, uninstallation and reinstallation of mods would be a cinch. They could even implement compatibility checks - i.e. if Spell Revisions is installed, it wouldn't let you download SpellpackB6, etc. That would be spectacular.

No one is arguing against the inclusion of other mods.

People are focusing on this mod and whether it is better to:

(a) Keep the game vanilla (little support);

(b) Give people the option to install all or part of the mod through DLC or other channels that go across all devices (lots of support); or

(c) Force some version of the Ascension on everyone as part of the base game (lots of support, although no consensus on which version).
    Bhaaldog said:

Erg said:

A waste of my talents!

@Erg your using my lines...
    Of course. No sooner said than done.
This discussion has been closed.