Skip to content

Should BG2:EE include the "Ascension" mod by David Gaider?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @Bhaaldog
    First, you just don't get why I made my request in the first place. Whatever, you don't need to. All you need to know is that I no longer consider this request possible, basing on critical estimation of such factors as the contract.

I have already stated the reasons why I'm against it. Hell, I have done it probably weeks/months ago since I clearly recall speaking my mind in this topic in the past. But I'll state it again, especially for you. Ascension, aside from plot, provides very challenging content practically impossible to beat for many players. In fact, it's content practically forces powerbuilding the party, so it destroys one thing that Baldur's Gate is loved for: freedom to play the way you like. Sure, you can nerf the battles especially for BG2:EE but that won't be "that" Ascension anymore. And finally, requiring people to install a mod is clearly too much. Also, final
    Ascension fight is way too over the top for me. Killing my enemies once or two is ENOUGH. I don't want the thrid time, since right then I can't take my former enemies seriously anymore... Those are reasons I don't want it implemented.

The only good reason for implementing Ascension is that there is no guarantee for multi-platform mod for BG2:EE. That's it.

Sorry fot dissapoint you, but I'm not like the majority - I'm not going to be overly polite in situations where I see stating my opinion bluntly fit. I'm not afraid of speaking my mind.
    Yep, I've used it, that's for sure. The reason why I made such request is different from reasons why majority of users on this forums want to include this request. *Reasons* for making requests are important. There is difference between "I want to fix something I consider broken in the game" and "I want mod to be implemented and I don't care if it is too hard for other people". Don't tell me that you can't see the difference.*

I never called you "b****t" (if anything, I called your argumentation). That was merely my response to statement that I don't have right to judge anybody. Unforunately, everybody has that right.

Of course people can disagree with me. It is a fact, however, that implementing this request equals end of the BG2:EE broken for me. All because people being too lazy to install the mod**. That's nice from them, don't you think?

*As a example, you used my reqest (improving Slayer form). But since improving Slayer is also part of Ascension, you made me thought two thinks: that you are accusing my of being hypocrite and that content of my former request DOES in fact, matter.

**Of course, work for combatibility is necessary. But, since BG2:EE will be using BG:EE engine, shouldn't be possible to make Ascension avaliable at BG2:EE release date? Using BG2:EE beta as testing for Ascension as well? I refuse to believe nobody thought of it yet.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I would like it to be included for the story elements, but if it is not Ill still be happy with BGEE2.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    @shawne:

The only thing that really bothers me is that Sarevok always betrays Neutral-aligned Characters. I think if Ascension is integrated the Sarevok-betrayal mechanic might need a few tweaks (I also believe the Hell trials in BG2 should be tweaked, though, to allow for more Neutral playstyles).

Other than that, I personally found point 6 a bit silly, though I love the Irenicus-Sarevok trash-talk and think the fight is fun, I thought bringing Irenicus and Bodhi back was a bit 'out there', whereas the Five worked from a thematic perspective (basically, I see Irenicus and Bodhi's story to be essentially over and largely unconnected to the overarching Bhaalspawn saga).
  • SageSage Member Posts: 28
    edited May 2013
    I've always had a, possibly irrational, dislike for mods. I very much like to think I play games the way that the designers intended. Ascension is the sole exception I've made to this rule, on account of it having been made by Gaider himself. I'm so glad I did, because it's absolutely awesome! It really is how the original saga should've ended. I'd love to see it added as standard. I imagine the fights might be too difficult for many, I struggled with Amelyssan the Blackhearted for weeks. Nerfing it is a concession that might have to be made, but for the love of gaming: AT THE VERY LEAST MAKE SURE MOD AND GAME ARE COMPATIBLE! <3
    Post edited by Sage on
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Yes it should be included seeing that Gaider was a developer of the game and this is his mod.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Sage: That's actually a very good point - if it turns out that "Ascension" can't be incorporated because of the usual limitations, at the very least I'd ask the devs to ensure that the mod is somehow compatible with BG2:EE. I'm just flat-out not buying it otherwise, it'd be like playing ME3 without the Extended Cut.
  • UlicusUlicus Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Honestly? I'd rather they not include ToB in BG2:EE at all, and instead focus on developing a full BG3 to serve as an alternate conclusion to the Bhaalspawn saga.

Won't happen, of course. But I can dream.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2013
    I'm changing my vote. Leave it as a mod
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    I'm actually for this on one level. The improved battles is a bit much though. Abizigal comes to mind. They'd have to edit/ tune this down a lot. A few of these battles were just plain frustrating.

What I'm mostly for is the updates to storyline and much better interaction with Balthazar and Sarevok. Plus more Bhaalspawn abilities alongside improved epilogues. I've yet to see any reason why you wouldn't want the official BG2EE edition to be improved in this way.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

I'm actually for this on one level. The improved battles is a bit much though. Abizigal comes to mind. They'd have to edit/ tune this down a lot. A few of these battles were just plain frustrating.

What I'm mostly for is the updates to storyline and much better interaction with Balthazar and Sarevok. Plus more Bhaalspawn abilities alongside improved epilogues. I've yet to see any reason why you wouldn't want the official BG2EE edition to be improved in this way.

The Improved Battles have always been a separate component of the mod, though - the core of "Ascension" only pertains to the storyline/banter/abilities changes.

Having had my first BG experience with "Ascension" already installed, I'm constantly amazed by how much the original ToB falls short in comparison: Viconia only has a True Neutral ending even if you didn't convert her, Imoen and Sarevok have entire exchanges I didn't get to see, and the Slayer form never improves despite your massive level gains. I just can't conceive of playing BG2:EE without it.
  • GaveGave Member Posts: 66
    These changes from the original would be refreshing, really makes the final chapters more epic.

The original last battle also felt a bit too random, and often made little sense.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    I'd say yes, with a caveat. It should be included but either as an item you select in the start menu screen or with tweaks to allow you to adjust the difficulty level to suit the player ability.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

I'd say yes, with a caveat. It should be included but either as an item you select in the start menu screen or with tweaks to allow you to adjust the difficulty level to suit the player ability.

From what I understand, Ascension already includes difficulty checks, particularly in that final battle.
    Still, the final fights will reamin over the top, and still you will have to face The Five and Mellysan at the same time. Playing on core difficulty is still going to be pain in the arse. And that's not the reason I play Baldur's Gate at all.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    If I were to want anything from Ascension it would probably be the Sarevok and Sword of Chaos interactions. I think it also restores some bugged interactions also if I recall correctly.

However I'd rather not see any of the endgame stuff appear. I may have liked aspects like not killing Balthazar, but I'm not prepared to pretend Ascension's version of the endgame story is canon. People may be disappointed with ToB's story when it came out, but I don't think Ascension is a god send either.
  • SkagnetiSkagneti Member Posts: 31
    Hope this happens :)
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    Include it all. Make an in game option to turn the improved battles on or off.
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    the hardest games are always the most remembered and best reviewed...coincidence? I think not
    Maybe, I don't know, a free optional DLC?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

Maybe, I don't know, a free optional DLC?

But would a DLC offer the same flexibility of the WeiDU installer?

And by that I mean the possibility of choosing which component to install.

What if I want to play without in my first playthrough, with some components in my second, and with some other components in my third playthrough?
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    david gaider is still in bioware, right? would he even have the time or will to do this? would somebody else port it if not and would david care that somebody else ports his work? btw, I wish I could see deleted content. so many missing comments since the last time I viewed this thread
    @Erg
    Maybe not, but it's still better for taking the fun of playing the game from me. I want to roleplay in BG, not to powerbuild.
This discussion has been closed.