Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    sod might have killed any and all attempts at beamdog making their own original game.

3 years later people are still complaining about sod and how it ruined the bg series.

i also don't see a planescape game working anyways. that setting has not been as connected with the rest of fr since 2ed besides some planes. that may have been what ended the project.
    group 2 would still have issues if it was a new game as they would be comparing it to bg anyways. see pillars.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    @ThacoBell couldn’t agree more. Very well said.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    megamike15 wrote: »
    sod might have killed any and all attempts at beamdog making their own original game.

3 years later people are still complaining about sod and how it ruined the bg series.

i also don't see a planescape game working anyways. that setting has not been as connected with the rest of fr since 2ed besides some planes. that may have been what ended the project.

What killed the Planescape campaign setting was WotC itself. They adamantly tried to reinvend the wheel by created mish-mashing whole planes of existance, eradicating modrons and even ending the Blood War. All of that completely destroyed everything The Great Wheel of Planescape stood for.

Planescape's aethetics, which was heavily based off of the The Dark Crystal movie from 1982, was most likely another nail in the coffin. It is plain to see that WotC didn't want to step in TSR's footsteps when looking at the numerous outsider pictures from 3rd edition all the way up to 5th edition.

I still lamend this tragedy...*sigh*
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    BillyYank wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the FPS where I get to play a German Shepard with laser eyes.

Beamdog!

Hypothetically speaking, it could be possible to mod FONV so that Rex's attack is a laser beam coming from his eyes rather than a melee-range bite. I couldn't do it but I suspect there are modders who could do that in an afternoon.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2019
    @ThacoBell I don't like SoD and I'm definitely in neither groups. I couldn't care less about Mizhena and nowadays I can't stand playing two minutes of vanilla.

I dislike SoD for the same very reason I dislike ToB (and some others). I could make a full thread about this paragraph but I'll save myself the trouble.

---

I agree that Beamdog doesn't have what it takes to create their own RPG. Wether you like SoD or not, it had a lore, an engine, a scenario, a fanbase, an active modding community willing to clean some of Beamdog's mess... All they had to do was create an story (and they made it poorly in my opinion).

They can't* even deal with patching things broken by them, creating something from the ground sounds insane.

* Just to clarify that I'm not talking about Beamdog's staff competence, but number of hands on deck.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH!
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited May 2019

<rdf:li photoshop:LayerName="GATHER YOUR PARTY" photoshop:LayerText="GATHER YOUR PARTY"/>

Oh man I love it when my suspicions turn out to be THOROUGHLY ACCURATE. Man this is great. All we need now is Owlcat announcing another Pathfinder AP adaptation! And can my Valve Index arrive sooner now that I'm daydreaming.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited May 2019
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @kanisatha "Beamdog not having what it takes to deliver a very high quality game is also a possibility."

Yeah, no. There is zero chance of this being the case. SoD was fantastic and I am RAVENOUS for Beamdog to do their own full RPG. I care if its D&D or a new setting all their own. It needs to happen.
    If you were Wizards of the Coast, you'd be asking, "Was it though?" The fact is, SoD has several issues, and we all know it.

What Beamdog needs to do is get on Kickstarter (or some other crowdfunding site), and raise the funds for a new setting all their own. Obsidian did it, and their last games were fantastic (and better than SoD, imho). They need to stop trying to half-ass it, and make an original game. Not an expansion to a previous game. NOT an enhanced edition. Their own game, with an original setting and original storyline.

Sidenote: I can't think of ANYONE who asked for NWN EE. Yes, it's nice to have it, because NWN multiplayer is fantastic. But meh, GoG's version already ran fine on modern systems.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited May 2019
    I wonder how that would've worked if they tried to crowdfund some money for their weird west project to entice outside investment. So many variables in the air, I'm terrified of kickstarter myself and convinced partners not to go for it for a film project in favor of normal and semi-insane investors, but maybe it could've worked for them.

(Suddenly starts running around in circles)

AHGHGHGH WE'RE GETTING BALDUR'S GATE III!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @rapsam2003 I didn't say SoD didn't have flaws. I said its a fantastic game. Those two things are not mutaully exclusive. But yeah, I'm pretty sure Trent is the only person who wanted NWN:EE
    group 2 would still have issues if it was a new game as they would be comparing it to bg anyways. see pillars.

Obsidian also hyped it up as a spiritual successor to BG. They invited those comparisons.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2019

What killed the Planescape campaign setting was WotC itself. They adamantly tried to reinvend the wheel by created mish-mashing whole planes of existance, eradicating modrons and even ending the Blood War. All of that completely destroyed everything The Great Wheel of Planescape stood for.

Blood War is back FYI. Its covered in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.
    elminster wrote: »
    Blood War is back FYI. Its covered in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.
    Yeah, but for how long? I don't even want to imagine what they'll cook up for 6th edition.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2019
    They pretty much handwaved it back in I think. I don't think the whole Asmodeus ending it was really ever addressed. So think it's going to stay as an eternal thing. With the neutral characters like Mordenkainen viewing it as being a necessary thing in order to prevent evil from taking over the realms (by letting the two sides of evil constantly fight eachother).
    Post edited by elminster on
    To tell the truth I currently don't feel anything about this reveal. My interest in the Forgotten Realms has pretty much waned into nothingness... especially so for West Faerûn. Granted, their BGIII could theoretically take place all across Toril. But that's more like wishful thinking on my part. Then there is the tidbit about Larian doing almost exclusively turnbased combat in their games: a major turnoff for me personally and the reason as to why I haven't purchased D:O or its sequel.

All in all we lack crucial information. Or more like... we don't even have any information at all about this project.
    But I can see as to why WotC would feel more at ease with Larian doing BGIII instead of Beamdog.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Tuque Games is developing another "AAA" D&D video game and there were some job postings calling it an action RPG. So if Larian's tease is really BG3 it's probably isometric. That and faithful 5e rules adaptations would definitely be expected from a game with BG in the title.

I'm not sure how to feel about BG "3" since the Bhaalspawn saga is finished. New games could be called BG: Something else. Definitely excited though!

But I still want to see NWN take off with new expansions because it has much more to offer as a platform in the long run than one great SP campaign.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @rapsam2003 I didn't say SoD didn't have flaws. I said its a fantastic game. Those two things are not mutaully exclusive. But yeah, I'm pretty sure Trent is the only person who wanted NWN:EE

Obsidian also hyped it up as a spiritual successor to BG. They invited those comparisons.

that may be why i had issues with pillars. it wanted to be both bg and pst and did not do either as well imo. when i finished it everytime i thought of replaying it i just felt like going back to the other two instead.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,354
    Hey hey hey I wanted NWN:ee as well. NWN:ee for iOS is going to be epic!!
    edited May 2019
    No, it won't be. Hahaha

And truth be told, everyone, including you, would have been just fine with the GoG version and the fanmade patches. Beamdog literally broke half the things the fan patches fixed. Then, they fixed some of what they broke. Let's be realistic here.

I love what Beamdog has done on the whole, but NWN EE was NOT a smart business move.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Been following this story myself and really hoping it turns out to be fake. I have HATED the D:OS games and just can't bear the thought of my beloved franchise being ruined by turn-based shittiness. :(
    rapsam2003 wrote: »
    No, it won't be. Hahaha

And truth be told, everyone, including you, would have been just fine with the GoG version and the fanmade patches. Beamdog literally broke half the things the fan patches fixed. Then, they fixed some of what they broke. Let's be realistic here.

I love what Beamdog has done on the whole, but NWN EE was NOT a smart business move.

they got nwn to actualy work on modern systems. that was good enough for me.
  • Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191
    kanisatha wrote: »
    Been following this story myself and really hoping it turns out to be fake. I have HATED the D:OS games and just can't bear the thought of my beloved franchise being ruined by turn-based shittiness. :(

I also hate these games, for the turn based tedium, goofy writing and cluttered art style.

However

It is undeniable that they are savy makers of RPGs. I am hoping they are smart enough to provide a RTwP option, and hire writers and artists who can handle this sort of pedigree. I hope.
    kanisatha wrote: »

i'm less concerned about the combat [ i find turn based comabt in these types of games too slow] and mroe worried about the writing. larian's style just does not fit with what people would want with a bg 3.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I'm not hyped at all.

If it is the Bhaalspawn saga they will mess up with a closed plot.

If it isn't, it's just click bait.

And as someone said above, I'm tired of FR. Ravenloft or Dragonlance would be awesome though. I don't like Dark Sun at all - if I want a Mad Max scenario I'll just play Fallout - but at least would be something different.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Yeah, TB combat was the biggest issue for me but I agree the writing style, the tone of the game, and the cartoonish art were pretty bad too in D:OS. But at the same time, from technical and business pov's Larian is a very solid studio. Plus I really like Swen's attitude and passion.

Having checked out what Tuque Games is saying about their D&D game project, which is that it is a co-op action RPG, and with Swen's recent comments in an interview that he wants to do something very different from the D:OS games for the challenge and newness of it, I am cautiously hopeful that the Larian game could end up being RTwP and true to the first two games in the series.

Re. the Bhalspawn/Charname saga being over, I completely agree. But a game titled BG3 does not have to be related to that saga, at least not directly so. There is a lot of good, interesting source material that's been released in the 5e current timeline about goings-on in the city of Baldur's Gate that could make for a new story with a new protagonist starting from level 1, with the 100-years past consequences from the end of ToB serving as a backdrop.

Re. Beamdog's cancelled game, I now more than ever believe WotC ditched Beamdog precisely because Larian came along. My guess is that they initially, tentatively gave Beamdog the green light to develop a BG3, but then all of a sudden Larian went to them with an interest in doing something with a D&D IP, and seeing Larian as a much better and safer bet WotC dropped Beamdog's project.
    No, it won't be. Hahaha

GoG.com had already done that. That's my point.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    No, it won't be. Hahaha

GoG.com had already done that. That's my point.

In all fairness, not entirely. Depending on your hardware, the game could be completely unplayable even if you matched all the required specs. So it probably worked for you, but not necessarily.