Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191
    It is worth mentioning that the new DnD module storyline is set in Baldur’s Gate and deals with Bhaal and Avernus.

I’d place money on BG3 being set in this time period. Minsc and Coran are still alive and could easily tie it to the original trilogy.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    My main issue with NWNEE is because I can't see a difference between it and vanilla.

I literally played for almost an hour my old install thinking it was the new one. The Aurora Toolset is way more stable, though.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    NWN:EE is better for multiplayer. That is where a crap ton of the fixes can be seen. NWSync alone is amazing and the price of admission.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Raduziel wrote: »
    My main issue with NWNEE is because I can't see a difference between it and vanilla.

I literally played for almost an hour my old install thinking it was the new one. The Aurora Toolset is way more stable, though.

That's why I'm hoping BD's next project after the boardgame will be a NWN EE expansion that really milks that new renderer to its fullest potential and looks amazing. They could do a small trilogy to minimize the risks while showcasing what the game is now capable of, to pull players back in.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

for me it was tech issues. the gog version could not play movies well. and there was this werid transparent issues with the tool bar. the ee fixed that for me.
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    Unfortunately, the Bhaalspawn Saga is no longer wrapped up. You can blame Wizards of the Coast for that, as they decided that Viekang was evil all along and had him kill the canon CharName stand-in, resulting in Bhaal's return. So everything you went through to keep Bhaal dead was really just a quest to hit a cosmic snooze button.
    and they also messed up the motb story line by bringing myrkul back. if anything 5th ed is a big middle finger for those that enjoyed the dnd video games.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited May 2019
    Or they are just trying to provide materials to setup fun games for current players, anyway. That would be the priority over 90s video game histories being permanently sealed in amber. Win some, lose some.

I flipped through some of the Ohlen stuff and it looked like a lot of fun, a few things popped out that would work very well in a PC game -- hope they are connected a bit.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    chbrooks wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the Bhaalspawn Saga is no longer wrapped up. You can blame Wizards of the Coast for that, as they decided that Viekang was evil all along and had him kill the canon CharName stand-in, resulting in Bhaal's return. So everything you went through to keep Bhaal dead was really just a quest to hit a cosmic snooze button.

Game canon and P&P canon are separate.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    @ThacoBell @chbrooks plus it wasn’t confirmed who won the fight between Abdel and Viekang was it?
    byrne20 wrote: »
    @ThacoBell @chbrooks plus it wasn’t confirmed who won the fight between Abdel and Viekang was it?

It doesn't matter. They both end up dead anyway and Bhaal comes back.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    @ThacoBell good point :wink:
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Game canon and P&P canon are separate.

Not really.

In D&D, games are canon as long as their isn’t another medium (such as a book) that tells the same story.

So the events that the player character goes through in NWN are canon, but since their are BG novels, those are considered canon.

That said, since we are talking about a sequel to an actual video game, the first two video games should be more of a factor than the novels. In fact, I’ll be completely disappointed if there isn’t at least Easter egg references through out the third game tying in even the minor characters to the story. For example an old gruff human named Brus leading the thieves guild.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Maybe give him a chance? Maybe the cameo won't be cringe worthy, but plot-explained? Did you cringe when you heard his voice in the SoD trailer? I mean, come on, Minsc and Boo are more BG for me than the Bhaalspawn.
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    Not lying, but I sure *do not* want Minsc in BGIII to show up. Like. At all!
    That character was in so many cameo's it's not funny anymore. At this points it is nothing but cringe worthy. Let some other characters be in the limelight. Preferable non-joinable ones.

I dunno what's gone on with Minsc's cameos in Neverwinter, but he's had a pretty interesting character arc in the D&D comics.

Plus, Boo got an entire issue to himself, which was fun.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited May 2019
    I would rather not have any of the npcs make an appearance since it will only cause detriment to sentiment. Reference might be fine but I am not sure even.

I would like the story to really revolve around baldurs gate, like in bg1 and SoD.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2019

Yea that module was a bit of a mess "Decades of dodging assassinations and battling enterprising Bhaalspawn honed Viekang’s murderous impulses to a razor’s edge. Now he has come to Baldur’s Gate to end it all, one way or another." is about the only explanation we got. Considering its been about 100 years since the events of BG (it happens around 1482 DR) that seems pretty odd. Like excuse me while I wait 100 years to kill the last of my siblings. Uhh what?
    megamike15 wrote: »
    and they also messed up the motb story line by bringing myrkul back. if anything 5th ed is a big middle finger for those that enjoyed the dnd video games.

Myrkul was reduced in power during MoTB (what we could call a dead power) but he wasn't totally gone. I don't think him returning over a hundred years after the events of MoTB really takes that much away from that game. Especially since they seem to have worked him into having more authority over other things than what Kelemvor deals with.

According to the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide he is now the "god of death, decay, old age, exhaustion,
    dusk, and autumn. He's the god of the ending of things and hopelessness, as much as Lathander is the god of
    beginnings and hope"

Compared to Kelemvor, who basically just handles where souls go.
    Maybe give him a chance? Maybe the cameo won't be cringe worthy, but plot-explained? Did you cringe when you heard his voice in the SoD trailer? I mean, come on, Minsc and Boo are more BG for me than the Bhaalspawn.

It’s different with SoD because he was in both games that SoD together.
    with larian's recent writing i kinda don't want to see minsc either.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    Nobody hates like a fan!
    well when it's being done by a dev that had nothing to do with the series [ if you tell me beamdog did not either thats not true it was founded by ex bioware devs] it's easy to be worried.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I mean, if they just do a 5e D&D video game that's set in the city of baldur's gate but has nothing to do with the Bhaalspawn story them I'm down.
    Maybe the thread should be renamed to "What's Larian's next project?"?

Well we already know Beamdog’s next project which is A&A.

They can’t focus on more than one it seems so until A&A is out, there is nothing to speculate on.

But we can move the BG3 talk over to the topic in the off-topic section.
    @deltago The game should only be concerned with the games' canon. ESPECIALLY if BG3 is going to be billed as a real sequel.

@JuliusBorisov I don't want to see Minsc either. Regardless of the quality that may or may not encompass. He had his adventures. He got a BEUTIFUL epilogue after ToB and he deserves to end on a high note. Honestly, there would be very few npcs I'd want to see. Just about everyone got their happy endings. Pulling them out for a new round of adventuring would most likely undo that.

@elminster IIRC, you can eat Myrkul's soul. So he CAN die, it just depends on player choice.
    Vallmyr wrote: »
    I mean, if they just do a 5e D&D video game that's set in the city of baldur's gate but has nothing to do with the Bhaalspawn story them I'm down.

I love that idea. Just don't call it BG3.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Hmm.

Sick of the name already, personally.

It's called the Forgotten Realms, so why are we already back to the Sword Coast with so much more to explore, and create stories in? Underwhelming is a nice way of calling this one. I'm not interested in a 5e Heroes of Baldur's Gate adventure PC game - if that is even the direction this is going - or anything with Baldur's Gate, the Sword Coast, or the Bhaal Spawn.

Just please, stop using the name for the hype. Throw a dart on the map of the Forgotten Realms, see where it lands, and start brainstorming.

I don't need Minsc, Imoen, Viconia, Edwin or whomever. I don't need Baldur's Gate. I don't need the Sword Coast.

What I need, is a new story in the Forgotten Realms that has not been told, in a new location, with new companions, a new threat and a new direction.

If this has *anything* to do with the Heroes of Baldur's Gate 5e module adventure in PC format, I'm not interested. The story has been told. It's over.