Skip to content

Exceptional Strength Makes No Sense

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
This discussion was created from comments split from: Unpopular opinions.

Carry on here!

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    BillyYank said:

If I'm remembering correctly, exceptional strength was once called "bend bars/lift gates percentage". It was the percentage chance that a warrior could perform a Conan-style feat of superhuman strength, like bending jail bars, lifting a heavy portcullis or breaking the chains that held him to the dungeon wall. The extra bonuses for to-hit and damage were more of an afterthought.

This is the first time I've heard anything regarding exceptional strenght sound plausible. I mean no offense to @mashedtaters or @gotural, but that logic you presented could still be applied to something like DEX (move fastest, jump furthest, aiming etc) as well as INT (problem solving on time, reading fastest, a game of chess or whatever) if one would really like to. Intelligent people are often very competitive and strive to challange others in games of the mind, same with fast/agile people (ie. how many of the original Olympic games was about pure strenght rather than either a combination or more of a dexterous challange?).

Not trying to argue though, just really glad I saw @BillyYank's explanation. They should add STR bonuses to THAC0 and DMG from a lower number and keep the exceptional score for bashing open locks on chests and doors. Would have made more sense.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Nihilus said:

I really don't understand and thus dislike 'exceptional' strength of warriors.

- Why isn't there exceptional dexterity or intelligence as well? Why just strenght?
    - Why can't you adjust your exceptional strength in character creation when you can adjust everything else?
    - If there are really only 5 tiers in exceptional strength, why bother with a number between 1 and 100?

Just another pet peeve of mine.

Agreed. It makes no sense having exceptional strenght and not exceptional dex, or con, or int... You can see it as a feature exclusive of warriors that, instead of being in the warrior characteristics, somehow got chopped form there and taken into the attributes part. Another more of the 2nd edition mistakes. I think 2nd edition has a great "atmosphere", better than any other edition, but, as ruleset, 3 and 3.5 editions are much better.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @Skatan
    Good point. But no one ever accused AD&D 2e of perfectly anticipating all potential role-playing scenarios. For what it is, I think that they did a good job, and the exceptional strength table is, imho, evidence of that. I didn't like that WotC got rid of the exceptional strength table.
    Hey! There's another unpopular opinion! I'm on a roll.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited May 2016
    Exceptional strength dates back to OD&D - specifically the Greyhawk supplement.

The explanation reads
    Fighters of exceptional strength are now far more formidable opponents, and those of extraordinary strength even more terrible in that they can hit more easily, do more damage, lug large amounts of loot around without encumbrance, bend iron bars and perform other feats of strength with ease.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    @Skatan I also mean absolutely no offense, but the explanation I gave is actually the correct one and was provided by Gygax himself IIRC. The other reason he mentioned was to simply give more power to Fighters during combat.

I would even say that @BillyYank 's explanation actually makes no sense, (once again I mean no offense, it's only my opinion and it looks like an unpopular opinion actually) because it means that:

-a 18 Strength character has a 0% chance of performing a feat of strength, exactly like a 12 strength character.

-a 18/90 Str character is 9 times more likely to perform such an act than a 18/10 Str character while it makes no sense because it means that the 18/10 can actually outpower the 18/90 if he succeed on his role while the later fails.
    This is illogical because if you arm wrestle with your friend who trains a lot and he beat you twice in a row, you don't expect to beat him during the 3rd contest, he is always going to win.

-a 18/00 character is not going to do more damage than a 18/01 character.

As I said earlier, exceptional strength makes the most sense because Intelligence or Dexterity don't impact too much combat and let's be honest, there is a lot of fighting involved in D&D.

In a fight, a 15 Intelligence Mage will do as well as a 18 one: they will have the same number of spell slots, their spells will have similar effects and there are no additional save penalties.

Because of this, the incentive to minmax your Intelligence as a Mage was low. You could play a 16 Intelligence character and be happy with it.

While on the other hand Strength actually helps a lot during combat, a 18 Str fighter will outperform his 15 Str counterpart which creates an incentive to minmax your Strength as a Fighter.

This situation led every warriors to have 18 Strength and it defeated the whole purpose of these characteristics : to differentiate individuals.

If every warriors has 18 Strength, you can't say "this guy is stronger than this one" and this is exactly why exceptional strength was invented in the first place, to be able to distinguish the strongest Warriors.

That said, exceptional Dexterity and exceptional Constitution were actually introduced later on by Gygax at the same time as the Cavalier if I'm remembering well.

To not derail the thread too much, some unpopular opinions :

-I think 2e was the most balanced edition, simply because of its saving throw system (which doesn't make sense IMO, but works)

-if Minsc was introduced only now in the EE, everybody would lose his mind and there would be thousands of threads complaining about him and Boo.
    edited May 2016
    Okay, so:

Wizards actually received benefits for intelligence, starting in the OD&D Greyhawk supplement. Intelligence determined the number of spells you could learn, the chance of learning any given spell, and the highest spell level you could cast. You needed an intelligence of 17 to be able to cast 9th level spells, and an intelligence of 15-16 could only cast 8th. Further, an intelligence of 15-16 limited you to knowing 10 spells per level, whereas 17+ meant you could learn all of the spells for each level. Also, having a high prime requisite meant more XP, although both int 15 and 17 would get +10% earned XP.

Cavaliers didn't introduce exceptional Dexterity and constitution. What they introduced was - for cavaliers specifically - a way to raise ability scores. Each time a cavalier gained a level they'd add 2d10 to the percentage scores of their ability scores, which had no mechanical effect below 18 or at 18 for dexterity and constitution. Only strength received bonuses for percentile numbers. When an ability score hit 100 it would increase the actual ability score by one and drop the percentile to 0.

Bend Bars/Lift Gates was not a linear increase relative to strength's percentile score. For 18/01-18/50, the chance was (in AD&D 1e) 20%, for 51-75 it was 25%, for 76-90 it was 30%, for 91-99 it was 35%, and for 100 it was 40%. OD&D only has open door chance on the strength table although I can't swear to bend bars/lift gates not making an appearance at all (beyond the brief bit in the text I quoted in my previous post), it just doesn't make an appearance on the strength table.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    edited May 2016
    @BelleSorciere While I agree with you on the intelligence part, it's not a huge benefit during a fight. You don't need to know a lot of spells to be effective, the average Mage will probably use Magic Missile, Armor and Color Spray for his first level spells and that's it.

The higher percentage to learn the spell was a nice perk but it was not very significant and once you managed to learn the spell, it made no difference.

Finally, D&D2e was not really designed for higher level gameplay, especially with the quadratic experience progression, and adventurers above 9th level were extremely rare. Being limited to 8th level spells with an intelligence of 15-16 was not a problem in reality.

Later on (from 3e I think) Intelligence increased the number of spell slots available and the difficulty check of your spells which is actually a huge bonus during combat.

I stand corrected for the Cavalier part, thank you. Does that mean the Cavalier was able to go further than 18, reaching ability scores of 19 and more?

I also agree with the Bend Bars/Lift Gates part, and this is nearly exactly how it was implemented in Baldur's Gate. Maybe I misunderstood what @BillyYank said, but I thought he was speaking about a linear increase.
    And while in my opinion this doesn't make sense, I know a lot of older players on the internet or in my association who played this way, similar to other systems like Call of Cthulhu, Warhammer and so forth where you roll a percentile dice for your actions and succeed on a result lower than your ability score.

PS:
    @bengoshi maybe we could split this discussion into another thread?
    edited May 2016
    I would disagree that number of spells you could learn or spell levels you could cast didn't make any difference, but perhaps I was part of more games that made it into higher levels than most. And more versatility is indeed better than less with every spell level. Even so, a limit on the number of spells you could learn per level could have a fairly tangible impact.

Intelligence also defined the minimum number of spells you could potentially learn per level. And you couldn't just keep rerolling over and over Baldur's Gate style. The system in the 1e PHB describes
    Minimum Number of Spells/Level states the fewest number of spells by level group a magic-user can learn. If one complete check through the entire group fails to generate the minimum number applicable according to intelligence score, the character may selectively go back through the group, checking each spell not able to be learned once again. This process continues until the minimum number requirement has been fulfilled. This means, then, that certain spells, when located, can be learned - while certain other spells can never be learned and the dice rolls indicate which ones are in each category. Example: The magic-user mentioned above who was unable to learn a charm person spell also fails to meet the minimum number of spells he or she can learn. The character then begins again on the list of 1st level spells, opts to see if this time charm person is able to be learned, rolls 04, and has acquired the ability to learn the spell. If and when the character locates such a spell, he or she will be capable of learning it.
    So you could easily be unable to learn certain spells you might consider pretty vital to your character, and the lower your intelligence, the greater chance you could miss out on important spells.

Also, the D&D1e Intelligence table is nerfed from the OD&D table. Fewer maximum spells, lower spell level limits (15 would be 7th level, for example) and lower chance to learn a spell.

Cavaliers could go up to 18/00 in their ability scores, which for dex and con meant 18.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    Basically because 2nd edition was very, horridly, stupendously unbalanced.

It was never meant for people other than warriors to be any good in combat, and only the most extreme character abilities actually did anything in game.

I have, quite recently, played a 2nd edition Ravenloft game, and the greatest horror was the edition we played it in. I also rolled the mythical 18/00 fighter mage, which pretty much made the rest that played a fighter redundant, and combats that were supposed to be scary a breeze.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    I always hated Exceptional Strength. I'm so glad 3E got rid of it.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Unfortunately, because most DMs (including baldurs gate) allowed their players to adjust their scores after they rolled, exceptional strength lost its rarity. Every warrior seemed to have exceptional strength of some sort.
    If you do the odds, actually getting a roll of 18/00 is essentially impossible. I have never rolled a natural 18/00 in baldurs gate, and I roll until my eyes bleed...I haven't even got an 18/00 by adjusting my scores. The only way I have ever gotten it is by cheating ctrl+8.
    When you look at it in the light of organic character attributes (every character sticks with their 6 rolls, no adjusting points, only score swapping, and which is how I often played), exceptional strength becomes special. Not only is your character stronger than other warriors (15-17 strength) but he is exceptionally stronger than other exceptionally strong warriors.
    The flavor it added was incredibly useful in role playing and in valuing your character. It also helped define limits of strength before godlike or Herculean strength. I always imagined that Herculeas must have had a 19 or maybe even a 20 strength...making him capable of doing the most unbelievable feats of strength that no normal human could do.
    Strength higher than 20 could only accurately be measured to exceptional creatures like dragons, demons, Angels, and other powerful beings.
    Only gods devoted to strength would have a strength of 25. Such strength would be unimaginable. You would be able to move whole planets and universes simply with a brush of your eyelashes.
    That your character in baldurs gate can achieve a strength of 25 at all, even by use of a certain powerful magic item, while cool, is not at all in keeping with how strength is measured in AD&D 2e. AD&D 2e is about imagination...not combat stats (glares at 3.5). T
    aken in that light, the exceptional strength table is perfectly rational.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    y u no exceptional charisma?

lol. The mind boggles.

18/30 charisma - not that hot. Or something.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited May 2016

If you do the odds, actually getting a roll of 18/00 is essentially impossible.

Actually it's about 1 in 6,000*. I've seen it several times and I don't reroll that much.

*Edit: using 4d6 drop 1.

Edit 2: Less than 2 minutes.

edited May 2016

The flavor it added was incredibly useful in role playing and in valuing your character. It also helped define limits of strength before godlike or Herculean strength. I always imagined that Herculeas must have had a 19 or maybe even a 20 strength...making him capable of doing the most unbelievable feats of strength that no normal human could do.

Strength higher than 20 could only accurately be measured to exceptional creatures like dragons, demons, Angels, and other powerful beings.

Only gods devoted to strength would have a strength of 25. Such strength would be unimaginable. You would be able to move whole planets and universes simply with a brush of your eyelashes.

That your character in baldurs gate can achieve a strength of 25 at all, even by use of a certain powerful magic item, while cool, is not at all in keeping with how strength is measured in AD&D 2e. AD&D 2e is about imagination...not combat stats (glares at 3.5). Taken in that light, the exceptional strength table is perfectly rational.

Heracles as written up in AD&D 1e (Deities & Demigods) and AD&D 2e (Legends & Lore) had a strength score of 25. Anyway, there's no need to guess at what a strength of 25 means as the table is provided in Deities & Demigods - +7 to hit, +14 damage, 15,000 weight allowance. Open doors of 23 in 24 (9 in 10) and bend bars/lift gates of 100%. That's pretty far away from moving whole planets and universes simply with a brush of your eyelashes.

Now obviously, that's not 2e rules, so here:

In 2e, player characters could achieve up to strength 24 with a girdle of storm giant strength, and it was possible to add even more bonuses with gauntlets of ogre power. The girdle would give you +6 to hit, +12 damage, and a weight allowance of 1,235 lbs.

Strength 25 goes up to +7 to hit, +14 damage, 1,535 lb weight allowance, 19 out of 20 for opening doors and 99% chance to bend bars and lift gates. Still not in the category of moving planets or entire universes.

As far as 2e being concerned with combat stats, it very much is. Character classes are largely defined by what they can do in combat, most spells are defined by how they can be used in combat, and monster descriptions are all about what happens when the monster is in combat. That isn't to say it is entirely about combat, but it is a fairly important part of the system, esp as it is the primary means of garnering experience and treasure. If you were playing 2e you were certainly concerned about your combat stats being sufficient in most situations.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited May 2016
    Where do you see the rule that every +1 bumps up one category on the exceptional strength chart? I can't seem to find this rule. In The Complete Book of Humanoids, Ogres get +2 to strength and a strength maximum of 20, with no reference to this.

I'm surprised that you're not actually criticizing the fact that half orcs can get a 19 strength in Baldur's Gate when in the 2e rules half-orcs are limited to 18 strength (which doesn't bar them from exceptional strength so the practical limit is 18/00), thus preventing them from ever reaching 19 by the book.

Edit to add: I'm not trying to say the rule doesn't exist. I would simply like to find it.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    That was my recollection of the bonus to strength rolls as well - bumping the exceptional strength rather than going to 19. My memory was that each +1 was effectively +10% though, not a whole category. Also, mortals could not gain natural 19 stats via tomes and wishes etc; they were reserved for demigods and similar. Magical stat boosts might let you perform miraculous feats of stattery, but only as long as the magic was active. Of course, if the DM let you transcend your mortal status...
    So the DMG doesn't exactly support that - it says that from 16 to 20 each wish only increases an ability score by 10%. For 18 strength that adds 10% to the percentile, thus requiring 11 wishes to reach 19. It goes on to say that manuals, books, and other methods of increasing ability scores simply add 1 point to the ability score and don't use the 10% rule that wishes do.

It doesn't say anything about limiting ability scores to 18 despite wishes and tomes.
    edited May 2016
    To be fair, there were several alternatives to rolling 3d6 six times and recording your scores in order, thus giving a greater chance to have an 18 strength if you want one. Some were really strong (there was one in Unearthed Arcana where you rolled 9d6, 8d6, 7d6, 6d6, 5d6, and 4d6 and took the highest three dice in each case to determine your ability scores).

Edit: Also, the 1e DMG has alternative ways to roll ability scores - roll 4d6 six times and keep the three highest from each, roll 3d6 12 times and keep the six highest, scores are rolled for each ability six times and the highest is kept, and roll six ability scores 12 times and pick one set of scores.

The white box rules didn't have any alternative means of generating ability scores, though.
    @BelleSorciere thanks - my D&D rulebooks moved on years ago, so I don't have the ability to check them myself :) I think the rule on 'divine stats' was handed down by our DM from 1st Edition Deities and Demigods - I don't think the stats tables actually went past 18 (other than exceptional strength) in 1st Edition. The rules were definitely better presented in 2nd edition though, but we may have carried over old ideas.

Our DM was also fond of the mantra: If the Dungeon Mater's Guide were intended for all players, it would have been called the Players' Handbook... He was actually a pretty great DM, so we were generally happy to let him run all our games, no-one else needed a copy ;)

[The essential skills for a great DM have very little to do with rules-lawyering anyway]
    I'm too caught up in checking up all these rules I think. :)
    No - I like the authoritative references, thanks for keeping me straight :)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2016
    I like exceptional strength as it helps differentiate warriors, this warrior is super strong (18/45) but this one is stronger still (18/88) while Conan can still overpower them and beat them at arm-wrestling or tugging. (18/00)
    Oh I just meant it's making me nostalgic for AD&D. I had lots of fun with it over the years.