Skip to content

Romance - who needs it?

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
There has been much debate about the sexual preferences of the three new NPCs that will be introduced in BG:EE and this got me wondering how important romance is to players of the game.

How much romance do you want in your life?
  1. Romance - who needs it?410 votes
    1. BG1 got it right. I don't need no romance. I'm here to kick ass not to fondle it.
      19.02%
    2. BG2 got it right. I want to play horsey but only with divine spell casters.
      10.49%
    3. I need more options. The elves and Anomen don't satisfy my desires.
      41.22%
    4. I need far more options. All NPCs should be up for it. All the time!
      10.73%
    5. I need help. Everything should be romanceable: green slimes, carrion crawlers, the dead bodies you find in the sewers. Everything!
        9.51%
    6. I romance myself while playing BG. The game is that good.
        9.02%

Comments

• RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    I really don't understand why every romancable female NPC should be an elf (or half-elf)! There are other races as well!!!
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    I feel its an all or none deal.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited October 2012
    I don't miss it in BG but am glad it's there in BG2, it is superfluous.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    I need far more options before I'll have any options.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

I don't care for the romances. I find them text-heavy, tedious and sometimes downright embarrassing.

QFT. I'm not an elite type RP player so I am unconcerned by the RP value of these 'romances', even if I were the description Permidion gives is exactly how I view these clumsy attempts to inject romance into my game. I'm there to play the game. Likewise I'm not OCD enough to have to have completed every bit of content available to my character in the most favourable fashion.

I'd much rather resource and time were spent enhancing more worthy game play and story lines.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    If a romance exists for a character, typically all the writing goes into that romance, so If you choose not to pursue it, the character is flat and unappealing.
    I would be happy with no romance or some romance, since it seems to appeal to a lot of people. It CANNOT take over the game however.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited October 2012
    In a war like situation you wouldnt romance anyone. Think about the siege of stalingrad... who the hell would have thought about romancing just for a second when your life depends on every little step you take? I realy wonder what you people think about Fearun regions. But we had that already, there are the ones who think it´s more a social sim like game as a evil filled world with 9 hells and demons that rip your guts out and eat them in front of your companions. I have so many examples why this world is not what you wish when you´re outthere to adventure in caves, tombs and strange dimensions ....

And think about Aerie when she starts to whine like a child right away at the arrival in the underdark... yeah, no other problems to think about huh

Ever saw a victim of a shark attack... now think what the average ogre is capable of doing to you as a human meat muncher:D
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @NWN_babaYaga The NPCs certainly seem to pick their moments when it comes to romance banters. I'd think that people in those kind of situations would take what they could get and find as much life as they could fine in a few precious moments. Whether or not that would entail talking about pretty looking hair or hiding in a thicket to knock boots, is another matter.
    edited October 2012
    @Moomingtroll i agree that people in very hard moments need a little love/comfort or just some hope to move forward. I´m just against the thought that the adventurers life is more a walk-in-the-park as a daily-i-can-find-a-horrible-death way of life and that the monsters are just "stats" for you and not what they are if you port them into reallife.

And i dont get the reference of jude law... and i mean everything that makes faerun in which the BG trilogy takes place;)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

@Moomingtroll i agree that people in very hard moments need a little love/comfort or just some hope to move forward. I´m just against the thought that the adventurers life is more a walk-in-the-park as a daily-i-can-find-a-horrible-death way of life and that the monsters are just "stats" for you and not what they are if you port them into reallife.

This is a pretty good point. The characterisation that NPCs can just dismiss enemies as being just trash or unimprotant and unthreatening is so over used now, it ends up making the characters seem self aware that the are in a computer game.
    Having said that, it's not a particularly good argument against romance as a whole, just lazy implementation of them.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    One should also keep in mind that the game characters are products of the game world, and so an ogre or similar monster to them shouldn't be as alien and terrifying as it might be to a real-life human. The PC coming fresh out of Candlekeep is obviously much more hunted than hunter, but the seasoned party toward the later parts of BG is in my eyes a lot more likely to be a nightmare to a band of ogres than the other way around.
    Very easy to force "fear" into the game when you turn it into a horrible gorefest that it actually is. But thats not what i realy want. I dont have anything against plausible moments of "romances" but the way they are at times seem out of place, just to unrealistic to me.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

Very easy to force "fear" into the game when you turn it into a horrible gorefest that it actually is. But thats not what i realy want. I dont have anything against plausible moments of "romances" but the way they are at times seem out of place, just to unrealistic to me.

Well, the romances and the banter are obviously just snippets or representations of character interaction and doesn't/can't cover everything that is exchanged between the party members over the span of the BG saga, and I agree that the timing of those representations isn't always optimal. The way I see it though, it would be much more unrealistic to have no bonds forming between the characters at all.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    I'm not a huge advocate of romances in video games, but I think the romances in BG2 really help the player develop a bond with a particular NPC. I'm not sure Viconia would have such wide spread love (haha sounds like a crude euphemism!) and admiration if she wasn't a romance option. Plus her romance is second to none, unlike anything out there, and I think I've learnt to embrace the ending. Tragic characters have a lovely sense of preservation and romanticism about them, Ophelia from Halmet being a good example.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    i don't mind them being there, after all if you don't want it you don't have to initiate it. you don't get an achievement for it or quest items (that are worth having). so mostly i find them inoffensive, but for me i'm here to kick-ass!

plus you couldn't have it for every NPC, it just wouldn't fit with their characters (keldorn, kivan, cernd spring to mind)
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I voted for "I romance myself while playing BG. The game is that good." but I also wanted to pick "Everything should be romanceable: green slimes, carrion crawlers, the dead bodies you find in the sewers. Everything!"

It's a fantasy world. And if someone wishes to fantasize something, then by all means, they should be! Personally, I would've loved to romance Lilacor.

Best sword and companion ever.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Quality over quantity. Romances add depth when they are well done.

Too descriptive poll choices are idiotic btw. BG2 got it right because of many reasons not because they happened to be divine spell casters.
  • CandramelekhCandramelekh Member Posts: 109
    Romances were good idea when it came with BG, but today developers push it everywere, reducing pleasure from the game
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Not needed, but it's nice having it.
    Depends on how I role play, although nowadays the BG2 romances leave me a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth.

Aerie : Either you love her, or you literally tell her to shut up - the second one causing her to leave. Preferred option : backstab her.
    Jaheira : If I wanted to romance a (relatively not good looking) woman who could easily be my grandmother, then I might as well go to a mental institute. She got over her husband's death too quickly - she smells of fakery to me, and therefore I hate her XD
    Anomen : Oh, Anomen. Not even that bad generally speaking. Leaves you to bash your head on your keyboard more than once, but overall... not HORRIBLE.
    Viconia : Perfect romance... crappy outcome. >.<

Let's wait for the new three entries, shall we? ;)
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    I don't think you need romances per se, but it's nice to have sort of goal, independent of your overall game progress, to work towards.

DA used the friendship scale (with the gifts and all). It was a silly scale, but I like the concept of building relations with your party via communication.