Skip to content

Problem with forums.beamdog.com security certificate

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
Suddenly, as of 2:18 p.m. EDT, both Internet Explorer and Firefox are blocking this forum as having an invalid security certificate.

I just forced my way here by overriding Internet Explorer's block. I couldn't figure out how to override Firefox on it.

Comments

• sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    Yeah me too
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    It should be quite easy from the error page. Just click "Advanced," "Add Exception...", then either set the exception to permanent or uncheck that box (I would uncheck it, I don't make exceptions for anything on a permanent basis, but it does mean you'll need to add that exception each time you start Firefox).

Note that while I'm using Firefox Developer Edition, it should be more or less the same procedure for the standard version.
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    Just remember to remove the exception after the site cert has been fixed. It should not be left permanently.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,748
    Have managed to enter the site from IE.

How to fix this problem on google chrome?
    @bengoshi, similar to the instructions for Firefox above: one the error page, press "Advanced," then "Proceed to ... (unsafe)"

IE won't let me add this site as an exception, it's a work laptop
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,748
    @Troodon80 Yes, but that only lets me to open the site. I can't give reactions if I do it, nor can I post comments. I asked if there was a way to add any exceptions to Google chrome. I guess there's no way.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    I'd give @bengoshi an Insightful, but clicks on Insightful report an error performing my request.

Also, every page load requires doing the security exception.
    bengoshi said:

@Troodon80 Yes, but that only lets me to open the site. I can't give reactions if I do it, nor can I post comments. I asked if there was a way to add any exceptions to Google chrome. I guess there's no way.

See this link. Might be relevant. Doesn't work on Linux, so cannot comment.
    That method doesn't seem to be working. I added forums.beamdog.com to trusted sites, but it didn't help. I also added this site to sites where I always permit using cookies on the privacy tab, but it didn's help as well.

I guess we'll just have to wait till Vanilla fixes it.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,210
    The real question is whether this is still the real forum with real forumites and not a fake one with spambots pretending to be them. :o
    I'm real!
    Nah, I'm the toast :wink:
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I am actually a person that doesn't understand English sitting in a closed room with a very thorough instruction book on how to respond in a coherent fashion to every possible combination of these weird symbols called "letters" that English uses to make words. I have no idea what I'm actually saying, and am just writing what the book says to write based on the weird symbols I see on the screen.

The book says I should give a cookie to anyone who knows what thought experiment I'm referencing.

On a more on-topic note, like bengoshi, adding forums.beamdog.com as a trusted site has not fixed the problem for me on Chrome.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,210
    Troodon80 said:

You got me, I'm a spambot in disguise. ;)

Yeah, that certainly explains why you encourage people to break their security arrangements, luring them to this trap. :)
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    The workaround for Chrome doesn't work for me. Browsing on Firefox for the time being lol.
    They'll get it sorted out soon enough :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Firefox makes it simpler to add temporary exceptions that go away after you close the browser. If you're on an android device it's the best option to access the forum right now as well.

Of course if you can read this post you already know how to access the forum, so it's a bit of a paradox here. :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I wonder if the spambots will keep away from an "unsafe" site :)
    Now there's a thought :)
  • bardezbardez Member Posts: 41
    SSL cert expired today.

Subject: forums.beamdog.com
    Issuer: Go Daddy Secure Certificate Authority - G2
    Expires on: May 13, 2016
    Current date: May 13, 2016
  • qwerty123456qwerty123456 Member Posts: 67
    Sooo unprofessional...
  • LoveViconiaLoveViconia Member Posts: 196
    Yes that's fine, but when are you going to fix it.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Hello, my name is Raven and I am a Beamdog forum junkie. :) I have resorted to overriding my security warning in order to get my fix. Seriously though, it does make me nervous. I am only assuming that it is not really a security risk as long as I have reached the site that I think I have?
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603

Hello, my name is Raven and I am a Beamdog forum junkie. :) I have resorted to overriding my security warning in order to get my fix. Seriously though, it does make me nervous. I am only assuming that it is not really a security risk as long as I have reached the site that I think I have?

Ditto

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    If you hire me as an admin I promise this will never happen again.
    Yup not seen any sign of them :)