Skip to content

David_Gaider needs a list

Comments

• SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125

And you are absolutely right about that – this is how it should be.

Yet people tend to try to do "all quests" and get all the rewards – it's not "roleplaying the game" anymore, but it's "master the game".
    When i play BG which i know in and out and i have meta detailed knowledge, i'm still roleplaying, like not doing things that don't fit my alignment, but i "know" what i'm leaving out or letting go by that decision, and in BG / BG2 it's somewhat on a level where consequences are there, but not changing the game significantly.
    When playing PoE which i don't know well, this was one of the first things that somewhat fascinated – i realized the NPCs were adjusting to me, but the consequences were not very transparent, and i caught myself to try out different replies, different characters etc., just to test the system that may be hiding things from me i'd like to see (not because i'm greedy, but because i want to see all of a good game and be sure i've somewhen seen it all). That's meta thinking and non-immersive, but it's an urge, and from what i read here and elsewhere i'm not the only one doing that.

Just an opinion though, and i don't say things should not adjust at all – just keep it somewhat in on a level where, when one knows the game in and out, one actually can do that kind of "complete run" if he wants.

Yes, more or less like in Dragon Age: Origins.
    I also want to try everything, the thing is: nobody prevents you from doing that and it increase the re-playability of the game itself.
  • cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129
    1. A variety of interesting companions who interact with each other, a la bg 2. I feel fleshed out companions are one of the main factors to creating an immersive role playing experience.

2. Consequences. One thing I quite liked in SoD was the consequences of your actions had an effect on the end game. I liked how the allies I had for the main battle were effected by my earlier quests.

3. Skill & stat checks are nice contributions to role playing as well.
  • sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    edited September 2016
    No hearts next to dialog options :smiley: but I kind of like the music and I much prefer 'relationships' to 'romances' like @Pecca said
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353

sparkleav said:

Obviously relationships can lead to romance. I just don't like the idea of a companion to be there purely as a romance option.

What determines whether a companion is there "purely as a romance option", I wonder?

I can't say I've ever put a companion into a game just for that reason. Making them a romance has always been something decided after the rest of their character concept. That doesn't mean one might not perceive it as such, however. But what would cause it to be perceived so? Is it romances with gay options, or romances which receive a lot of attention from the community? Or something else?
    I've always thought that the option to romance in any given playthrough is up to the player, and that the more options there are the better, because in each playthrough, the choices you as an individual player playing your own custom character make foreclose other choices, which means if your party is full of romanceable companions and you're only engaging in the romance option with one, then the other romanceable companions clearly weren't "purely a romance option" since you're using them to fill other roles and not engaging in that content. If you choose another one to romance in another playthrough where you wind up using your first option as another party member, then the one you romanced the first time through wasn't "purely for romance", and so I've never quite understood that logic myself.

Outside of some more humour-oriented characters in early CRPGs (who were never romance options), I've never seen a CRPG companion who wasn't a complex, fully realized character as a romance option. If anything, romance options tend to get a bit more attention to their character because of the additional conversations/quests involving them (which is why I and others have emphasized the need for friendship/relationship quests for all companions, with romance paths for whichever ones Beamdog opts to write those for).

I also like the Garrus/Tali, Haer'Dalis/Aerie dimension of romances where if you're not romancing someone they have relationships within the party. That really is a cool thing, and I'd love if there was a bit of that in the Next Big Thing from Beamdog! :)

sparkleav said:

Obviously relationships can lead to romance. I just don't like the idea of a companion to be there purely as a romance option.

What determines whether a companion is there "purely as a romance option", I wonder?

I can't say I've ever put a companion into a game just for that reason. Making them a romance has always been something decided after the rest of their character concept. That doesn't mean one might not perceive it as such, however. But what would cause it to be perceived so? Is it romances with gay options, or romances which receive a lot of attention from the community? Or something else?
    I'm generalising here :) I think some romantic relationships in games have been a little rushed and feel somewhat unnatural because of this. There's often very little of a 'buildup' to the relationship and when there is, it's often too short. Maybe that's just me hehe.
    What about two people that hate each other to begin with, has that been done? I know there's only space for so much dialog in a game so I'm not sure what can and can't be done.
    I think when the community focuses on that companions romancibility and nothing else has an impact too.

But then it's also not necessary to romance someone in every playthrough. Having the ability to be just good friends is cool too like my FemShep and Garrus :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

the same amount of text could be applied to other companions to strengthen bonds in ways other than romance.<\blockquote>

That's exactly what I mean :)

When my protagonist fights the preverbal dragon, it all means so much more if her lover fights by her side. If she has learned to care for her companions, the combat is no longer just about defeating (insert current evil beast needing a good thrashing) but also about assuring the survival of her companions.

ME3's ending gets a lot of flak from people (mostly parts that come after this, but still...), yet I found that the placement of people in the end exemplified what you're talking about here in a way that goes beyond just your own selection of a party to come with you.

If you knew your companions (party faves or not) really well, you knew who would go well where and a minimum of people die...if not, it's not like it doesn't magnify your emotional investment to see a bunch of people you've grown close to over the course of (in most cases) two or three games bite it (and might inspire you to reload a save or play through again and optimize that part to make sure you save as many people as possible) and I always really like that about ME3's ending! It rewards knowing everyone really well and knowing who would best be able to do the assigned tasks needed, but it also (emotionally) rewards you for mistakes by giving you more reason to fight even harder in the final leg of the game. I messed up the first time in one particular placement and I thought it was just how things had to be and it devastated me...then I found out I could do it more intelligently and it was so satisfying to go through and get it all right.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I was never able to get very far into Mass Effect. The space setting and gun type weapons, along with the shooting mechanics just didn’t grab me. But this does bring up another point for me. I want to be able to keep both my lover and my best friends alive at the end of the game. I know some people love the tragic endings, but I don’t.
    I'm ambivalent, as I've definitely had really amazing experiences with games that are willing to kill off key characters, whether NPC or companion...but yeah I do tend to lean toward wanting to Be The Hero, especially in a D&D game as that's kinda D&D's standard thing, which means the option to save the maximum number of people and get the best ending is something I'll be going for in my first playthrough for sure.