Skip to content

David_Gaider needs a list

Comments

• dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    edited September 2016
    I'm also a fan of the way that BG1 makes characters work, at least in providing nearly-flat characters and giving them such large personalities that you can grow fond of them and decide who to bring, as I am of LGBTQ characters. One of the best things about Dragon Age: Inquisiton was its inclusion of these characters, but I liked them for their personalities, not simply because of their sexual orientation.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    deltago said:

OMG

I just deleted a whole wall of text that took me 2 hours to write :'(

I guess I will rewrite it all tomorrow. :confounded:

Sorry to hear that :( Next time maybe try Ctl Z before closing the window.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    mf2112 said:

deltago said:

OMG

I just deleted a whole wall of text that took me 2 hours to write :'(

I guess I will rewrite it all tomorrow. :confounded:

Sorry to hear that :( Next time maybe try Ctl Z before closing the window.
    Ya, I panicked. I went to see if it autosaved in my drafts before anything else. What did me in. Oh well.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I think one thing that is sometimes overlooked is how companions fit into a party in terms of game play mechanics.

A character can have a wonderful personality, but if they are going to be a liability every time a fight breaks out then they may spend most of thier time on the bench.

Obsidian are the most prone to this. Pretty much all the companions in NWN2 and PoE have lousy builds and no unique skills. Of the "Gaider" characters, Carth falls into this catagory. Fairly early on better built characters who can fill the same role come along, and he spends the rest of the game sitting in the cockpit.

SoD also suffers from a variant of this, with it's poor selection of evil party members (too many magic users and not enough rogues) limiting options.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    ajwz said:

4. Sex is used as a reward or an end goal of finishing a romance, which is not really how a lot of relationships work or develop

Too true.

Worse yet, a lot of real world folks also view relationships like this.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

I find it interesting that "followers need a relationship path that isn't romance" comes up repeatedly, as I haven't done a follower where the majority of their content is locked behind a romance since...oh, maybe Carth and Bastila in Knights of the Old Republic? I remember the reactions to those characters were very different by gender, based on the fact that much of their more pleasant qualities were gated to their romance arc.

Since then, I've always prioritized having a fully-realized arc with a romanceable character even if you weren't romancing them...so yay?

Yay indeed! [and thanks @David_Gaider for sparking this great discussion]. Dorian in DA:I is a great example of such a character for me.

I second those who've already written very well about 'relationships' versus 'romances'. I'm very pro relationship-building, or friendship-building, in RPGs but don't really care for romances. And what I want in my companions in particular are characters that I feel so strongly about that I can't bare to have bad things happen to them. The Dragon Age games had several such companions, but so does PoE (contrary to others' views) in which Eder is such a companion for me. He may be the most superfluous companion in that game and yet I cannot bare to not take him along with me on my adventures, kinda' like Alistair in DA:O. And in PoE where there is that situation where you can sacrifice one of your companions to gain a major boon, not only do I never sacrifice anyone I feel personal affront that the game tries to get me to do that!

A HUGE part of what I enjoy in RPGs is having that party of companions with me, shepherding them through the perils of the world, helping them with their troubles and goals, seeing them evolve and develop in the same way as my PC, sharing with them the treasures we find/win in an equitable and appropriate way, jointly celebrating the good and grieving over the bad, etc. I exclusively play only RPGs that are party-based because having those companions along for the ride is key to my enjoyment of the game, and the bigger the party I get to take along with me the happier I am.

Having said this, I will add this one thing about romances. If you're going to include romances in the game, @David_Gaider, please give me a Morrigan (or three). For me personally, Morrigan is the greatest romance companion of all time. :smile:
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    Please don't let us take everyone and "force talk" then in camp to pry details about their personal lives.

Let them grow organically either through friendship paths or romance paths, let them interject and speak when they want to.

The whole da:o thing to me was far too gamey and made me feel like these people were just sitting around waiting for the protagonist to counsel them.

Make npcs feel like real people who are with you for good reason (whether you know that at the time or not) and have their own views, opinions and agency.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Try to remain true and loyal to the rpg system you're using, even if it sounds "unfair" at some points.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700

3. Often love interests are treated as more important than characters with no romance, essentially relegating all but the most plot central npcs (like Imoen or Alistair) as 2nd class party members
    4. Sex is used as a reward or an end goal of finishing a romance, which is not really how a lot of relationships work or develop

These are mostly a matter of bad romance design. There are mods like Arath NPC who is fart from doing it like that. You may sleep with him rather early in the game, he's not into serious relationship. Yet you talk and talk, and share your time, joke together. And somehow this romantic relationship goes on and may end up quite fine.

6. Romances between 2 (non player) party members haven't been explored very much. The player could even help or sabotage it if they want

Would be great to see something like that, but only if protagonist-NPC romance is included. It would be unfair to give companions romantic options without giving them to the players.

7. Boobs are kinda cool, Viconia is my Waifu, Make anime real

Aaaaaaand.... I'm not sure where you're going here... I don't think romance with Viconia is bad. Could have more options, but it actually works fine. Not a huge fan of the romance, but it includes some great ideas.
    Speaking about breast - well, I know there are gamers who would love to se some nudity, that there are mods to make NPCs breast bigger (for example in Skyrim), but I think when we talk about romances, we don't really talk about that kind of stuff...
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    If they create a new game ill be interested in dnd version. They can hold the adnd, with its multiclass balance problems. Or use dnd 3 as nwn, its not bad system. I think the minority played and wanted the 4th edition. The dnd nxt is nice and i prefer it to a new game, but maybe more expensive to get the rights.
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    edited September 2016
    Another fledgling idea:

Complex theft/fence/merchant system.
    Basic idea - A smarter merchant system where you can be caught fencing or even wearing ill-gotten goods. This system will have sweeping consequences throughout the game and include quests for both good and evil characters with both positive and negative outcomes.

Expounded idea and rational - For every merchant interaction where the character is wearing or selling stolen items of value, say over 200 GP, there will be a 1% (cumulative!) chance of that merchant recognizing said item as being stolen. Merchants have connections with other merchants and the public in general. They regularly trade goods to have greater variety and talk with other merchants, and people in general, to keep tabs on what items are selling and what people have (e.g. If Lord Highwater is always seen around town wearing a particular pair of boots, that curiously make no sound while he walks, the wearing of or sale of those boots when interacting with a local merchant will trigger the above check with an even a greater chance of the character being called a thief).

I envision a very complex mercantile system including -
    a. A behind-the-scenes faction point system that all merchants belong to. Several merchant factions will exist and each merchant will belong to multiple factions. This system alters merchant reaction (item cost, whether or not he'll buy stolen goods, or even call the guards!) to the character based on several criteria. There will be a greater chance to recognize stolen goods between merchants and 'the gentry' along stronger trade routes (faction scores). The strength of trade routes will change, growing stronger, weaker, forming and dissolving dynamically, during the game, depending on the character's decisions during gameplay.
    b. Items of value sold to one merchant can 'make the rounds,' ending up in other merchants stores encountered later in the game. This opens up all sorts of quest/contingency goodness! Even if you weren't caught selling those stolen boots in one town, they end up in sister "Highwater's" store in a nearby city. You'd better not even set foot in there!
    c. There will be several 'good' merchant quests that will alter faction scores but it's not all bad news for the villain - not all merchants get along with one another. For the underhanded and/or downright evil characters, there will be merchant quests to sabotage, steal from, frame, [insert dirty deed here], other merchants or people in general, that will alter faction scores.
    d. Consequences for 'being caught' will also be dynamic. If certain faction scores, character rep, and/or storyline advancement criteria are met, the merchant may be willing to excuse a small indiscretion or even offer the character a job (quest).

-- more to come --
    Post edited by alceryes on
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Pecca said:

Protagonist: "So, Aerie, do you wanna see a play or something with me tonight?"
    Aerie: "Uhh, sorry, I'm kinda going out with HaerDalis."
    Protagonist: "Okaay, nevermind. So Vicy, lets hit a bar or something tonight, what do you say?"
    Viconia: "Pff, I'm going out with Anomen. He's so much more handsome than you!"
    Protagonist: "Okay okay *sigh*... Sooo, Jaheira..."
    Jaheira: "Don't even think about it. My husband's dead for like five hours and besides, I could be your mother for crying out loud!"
    Protagonist: "I hate this game."

@Pecca they should hire you as one of their writers! I laughed so hard reading this.

And @Buttercheese you are so right. 5e is about as good as it can get as far as D&D rulesets go. But like you I too am struggling to find a tabletop group. Since I post this in every forum every chance I get, I'll do it here as well. If any of you have a tabletop D&D gaming group in the North Shore area of Massachusetts, PLEEEEASE invite me to join!
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    deltago said:

Pecca said:

Would be great to see something like that, but only if protagonist-NPC romance is included. It would be unfair to give companions romantic options without giving them to the players.

:)

Protagonist: "Okaay, nevermind. So Vicy, lets hit a bar or something tonight, what do you say?"
    Viconia: "Pff, I'm going out with Anomen. He's so much more handsome than you!"
    Protagonist: "Okay okay *sigh*... Sooo, Jaheira..."
    Jaheira: "Don't even think about it. My husband's dead for like five hours and besides, I could be your mother for crying out loud!"
    Protagonist: "I hate this game."
    Um, I think it would actually go like this:

**Protagonist reforms party, stripping Haer'Dalis naked, booting him from the party and sending him back to the playhouse*
    Protagonist: "What about now?"
    Aerie: "...Alright."
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Off-Topic
    [spoiler]
    kanisatha said:

And @Buttercheese you are so right. 5e is about as good as it can get as far as D&D rulesets go. But like you I too am struggling to find a tabletop group. Since I post this in every forum every chance I get, I'll do it here as well. If any of you have a tabletop D&D gaming group in the North Shore area of Massachusetts, PLEEEEASE invite me to join!

Well, I do have a pen and paper group, but we are playing DSA, which is way more popular around these parts. And hey, even Pathfinder is more popular here. I think in all my time I only ever had one legit, orthodox D&D group. And even that one only lasted for two sessions.[/spoiler]