Skip to content

Diablo II Enhanced Edition

GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
edited July 2019 in Off-Topic

Yes, it's happening.

No, it's not an official Blizzard overhaul.

Visit https://millaire.com/diablo-2-enhanced-edition for information about the project & downloads.

Creed: Staying fanatically true to the game's core mechanics, lore and aesthetics

Currently planned in-development features include, but are not limited to:

• Interfaces rebuilt for 1366x768 (and 1024x768), which scales beautifully to 1920x1080 [in progress]
  • A comprehensive character statistics panel [mostly done]
  • Expanded personal inventory storage capacity [mostly done]
  • Expanded personal stash storage capacity (16x15 vs vanilla 6x8) [done]
  • Expanded Horadric Cube storage capacity (8x8 vs vanilla 3x4) [done]
  • PlugY multi-page stash and shared stash compatibility [compatible]
  • Sven's Glide wrapper compatibility [compatible]
  • ALchemy 3D sound compatibility [compatible]
  • 200+ new skill additions (note that all original Diablo II Lord of Destruction skills and builds are intact) [in progress]
  • Ability to reset attributes and skills [in progress]
  • Ability to enhance items [in progress]
  • Unique graphics for each Unique and Set item [in progress]
  • New Unique items [not started]
  • New item Sets [not started]
  • Addition of new items to existing Sets (where it makes sense) [not started]
  • Throwing potions made viable [in progress]
  • More explanatory labels for mercenary companions [mostly done]
  • An AI overhaul of mercenary companions [in progress]
  • Fully equippable mercenary companions [in progress]
  • New mercenary companion types/classes [in progress]
  • Dialogue, voices and personalities for mercenary companions [not started]
  • An option to hire multiple additional mercenary troops ('cannon fodder' different from equippable mercenary companions) [in progress]
  • An in-depth overhaul of the Lord of Terror encounter [in progress]
  • An in-depth overhaul of the Summoner/Jazreth encounter [in progress]
  • Other boss encounter overhauls [not started]
  • Addition of new boss encounters [not started]
  • Revision of troublesome areas (the Arcane Sanctuary and Maggot Lair in particular) [in progress]
  • Addition of new optional areas to explore [not started]
  • Additional NPCs to interact with in existing areas [not started]
  • Addition of NPC allies to hostile areas [in progress]
  • Addition of new main story quests (Act 4) and side-quests [not started]
  • Addition of new content/storylines for Nightmare and Hell difficulties [not started]

Please note that feature completeness and availability may vary greatly between releases.
Features may be added and/or removed from this list at any time as development progresses.

Features frequently requested by our community (under consideration, may or may not be added to the above list):

• Active 'charm zone' separated from main inventory
  • Automatic gold pickup
  • Bypassing 25 FPS limit
  • Hotkey shortcuts for inventory management
  • NPC gambling inventory refresh button
Feel free to share your thoughts on how Diablo II could be enhanced :innocent:
Post edited by God on

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Gonna bookmark, why not. Later (don't know when) I'll gladly provide some feedback or suggestions.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    So it's not Diablo 2 but Titan Quest Anniversary edition just came out and it's very similar to d2 and I'd highly recommend it.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I'm looking forward to this. I love the screenshots you've been posting.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    evidence or it didn't happen!
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    edited May 2019
    Updated the OP.
    Post edited by God on
    Update:
    Found a few very immersive voiceovers in Diablo 1 files which I can use to enhance the awfully underwhelming encounter with Jazreth aka the Summoner. Might also make him much more powerful.
    edited October 2016
    Carry on. :lol:
    Post edited by God on
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    That sounds good. I mean it reminds me a lot of a Protoss archon, but that's not a problem.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I was really trying to avoid this, but @God what am I going to need to get to run D2:EE? Thanks!
    edited May 2019

A checklist of Diablo II Enhanced Edition prerequisites:

✓ a valid Diablo II license key issued by Blizzard
    ✓ a valid Diablo II Lord of Destruction Expansion license key issued by Blizzard
    ✓ a few gigabytes of spare disk space
    ✓ patience

Post edited by God on
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    lefreut said:

And which patch version ? PlugY does not work with 1.14 for example :(

:smirk:
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    lefreut said:

And which patch version ? PlugY does not work with 1.14 for example :(

There is really no need to run 1.14, if at all possible try find your discs and just install 1.12 and download the 1.13c patch. 1.14 does nothing that can't be done with a simple glide wrapper.
    edited September 2016

1.14 does nothing that can't be done with a simple glide wrapper.

Wrong. It also introduces a heck of a lot of really nasty bugs :tongue:

1.14 is a big no-no.

However, I am aware that it is required to access Closed Battle.net and therefore I will be providing detailed instructions on how to

And, by the way, Uncle Mephisto called.

But he dropped :lol:
    edited May 2019
    (image removed)
    Post edited by God on
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    lefreut said:

God said:

1.14 does nothing that can't be done with a simple glide wrapper.

Wrong. It also introduces a heck of a lot of really nasty bugs :tongue:

1.14 is a big no-no.
    1.14 is sadly the version you get if you download the game from Blizzard. I didn't knew that it introduces bugs :(
    As far as I would guess, if you go buy the Battlechest for $20 (and I have seen it on sale at every Wal-Mart I've ever been in, even to this day), the hard copies that come in the box are only patched to 1.12, and you can easily find the 1.13c patch online.
    edited September 2016
    That'd be an unnecessary expense if you already bought the game. Diablo II Enhanced Edition requires:

✓ a valid Diablo II license key issued by Blizzard
    ✓ a valid Diablo II Lord of Destruction Expansion license key issued by Blizzard

If you hold those, you WILL be able to install Diablo II Enhanced Edition. This I will ensure.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Good, I need extra time for my battle chest to arrive.

Soon.

tm.jpg 699.7K
    Apparently, on the 20th day of September, God was pleased with what he'd created, and rested :P
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    I'm curious about this. I found a website with creature animations extracted from the Near Infinity games - I could look up the address. It had a lot of familiar faces from Torment and more. Well, the website offered those up to people who make mods of Diablo. Or maybe they meant Diablo 2. When I saw that, I wondered how they were going to make a mod of that game, put different creatures there, and whether Blizzard would allow it. I also wondered what Blizzard's policy is, if it allows that sort of thing, on using creatures from the Diablos in other games. Do you know anything about that?
    chimeric said:

Do you know anything about that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr0J2mQRWqs

As per the EULA granted by Blizzard, any and all modding in relation to Diablo II is considered a license violation:
    Subject to the Grant of License hereinabove, you may not, in whole or in part, copy, photocopy, reproduce, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, disassemble, decompile, create derivative works based on the Program, or remove any proprietary notices or labels on the Program without the prior consent, in writing, of Blizzard.Diablo II Enhanced Edition is a project academic in nature and, as such, is somewhat in the legal gray area. Nonetheless, formal consent from Blizzard, if at all attainable, may be sought at a later point of development, should that be seen as desirable in any way.

Of course, most modders, and most gamers in general, normally don't concern themselves with the terms and legal limitations of the licenses they are granted by game publishers.
    Since both Diablo II and the Infinity Engine games make use of quite similar isometric projection, some consider their aesthetics to be interchangeable. There exists a Baldur's Gate 2 mod making use of Blizzard's assets available at Spellhold Studios, and I recall a francophone forum where further experiments with Diablo II sprites in the Infinity Engine have been conducted. Likewise, an assortment of various Infinity Engine assets adapted for use in Diablo II modding, known as Infinitum, is available via Phrozen Keep.