Skip to content

[MOD] Verr'Sza NPC (for BGEE and SoD)

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,666
edited March 2020 in BG:EE Mods
I prepared something for those who believed there are too little evil fighters for BGEE and SoD (well, it was mostly about SoD). So here is Verr'Sza, the evil rakshasa ranger (it has his own kit, as most hunter kits won't work for someone like him).

Alignment: Chaotic Evil, Neutral Evil in SoD
Class: Ranger (Naztharune Ranger)
Race: Rakshasa

==> OVERVIEW

The mod introduces a new companion for BG1 - Verr'Sza, an evil rakshasa hunter. He may join your group in early BG1EE and stay with the group until the very end of Siege of Dragonspear expansion. He may be recruited in one of the rooms within the Friendly Arm Inn, but you must free him from a certain state first. He starts at 3rd level, so if you prefer having team members on more or less similar levels, it may be a good idea not to recruit him right after leaving Candlekeep.

The mod includes some go-and-kill quests, as well as a romance for both male and female characters (the only condition is not being of Lawful Good alignment). Although it's technically a romance, Verr'Sza isn't a very romantic character. It's more a matter of making him respect you and not trying to bind him in any way. He shouldn't be compared to Dorn, though. He may be protective in his twisted and blunt way.

Note that the mod may include language considered blunt or inappropriate for kids.

Mod was designed to work on EE. Never tried it on Tutu or BGT.
Consider this an open beta. There may still be some bugs.

==> NUMBER OF TALKS:

original campaign:
  • ~15 non-romantic talks (5 timered / timer-related talks; 10 situational talks)
  • ~11 romantic talks (mostly timered / timer-related talks)
  • at least 1 banter talk with every NPC, including EE NPCs (Neera, Dorn, Rasaad, Baeloth)
  • Some additional information and flirts available via the PIDs (player initiated dialogues)
  • some interjections
Siege of Dragonspear DLC:
  • ~6 non-romantic talks (3 timered / timer-related talks; 3 situational talks)
  • ~4 romantic talks (timered / timer-related talks / situational) + an "epilogue" talk
  • additional romantic content available through a 3rd character (available in Bhaalspawn's camps; ~5 talks)
  • Thrix the Profane reaction
  • few "head string" talks with other NPCs

The mod includes crossmod talks with Sirene, Aura, Drake and White.

NOTE ON THE ROMANCE: If you want to romance Verr'Sza, you must suggest closure on your own. You may do it during one of the friend talks or in a "drunk talk". To trigger a drunk talk, make sure Verr'Sza is really drunk. He will start a talk then in which you may "dare" him.

Weasel Mods download
Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
Ravenslight TheArtisanargent77CaszidylolienStefanOcameosisThalamondGrammarsaladZaghoulJuliusBorisovFina92LughChulainnThacoBellNoobaccacndrow_Luke_

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Congratulations on your release!
    LavaDelVortellolien
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Gratz my friend. Can't forget the obligatory "BG2 WHEN" comment though. (mostly so I know when I'll need to get back to work) :p

No, but seriously good work on this one. It was a pleasure to help with.
    LavaDelVortellolien
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,666
    Not decided on BG2 content yet :) But who knows... Anyway, I hope there are some people who'll enjoy Verr. Grab it, as every Bhaalspawn deserves a cat (with a deadly purr).
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,428
    Interesting concept (and great portrait). I'll probably try it out when I ever get the chance to play outside of test runs for my mods.

I'm curious though. Is there a special reason why he is neutral/chaotic evil? Rakshasa are supposed to be lawful evil in 2e.
    LavaDelVortelAedan
    @argent77 If you look at his dialog you will quickly understand his personality does not fit Lawful Evil at all.
    I was never really attached to what they say in the handbooks. There are creatures like will-o'-wisps which are (depending on the edition): an undead, an air elemental, a fey creature. They just can't make their own mind... as for rakshasa - I decided that Verr is not that lawful, he can enjoy a nice fight and may be a bit unpredictable. And he doesn't really enjoy following any rules, so I decided that chaotic alignment works better for him. Plus he's a naztharune rakshasa, who do not like working with other rakshasas and are more of a lone wolfs (cats?). I think the lawful evil alignment works better with ak'chazar and the "usual breed" rakshasas :) But that's just my opinion :)
    argent77mf2112lolienRavenslight
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    may I ask how many dialogs are there? Planning to port him to bg2 too? I like to have characters romance\friendships that do flow through all the saga

LavaDelVortel
    As I said - I'm not sure about BG2 portion yet. In BG1EE he has like... 4 friendship talks, 10 romance talks (which happen after friendship talks) + there are some situational talks, too. That does not include SoD! In SoD there are 3 friendship talks followed by 3-4 romance talks. There are also... 2-3 situational talks.

As I understand that the romance with such a creature is something rather controversial, he will romance you ONLY if you suggest some closure. You may do it in one of the friendship talks or during the "drunk talk" (make him drink a lot and then he'll talk to you - you may "dare" him in the talk. That will start the romance.)
    Arthas
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    4 friendship talks. Thanks for the answer. If you have other ideas, do not refrain from expanding the mod. I love new content, and I love fleshy npc.
    edited July 2016
    Ok, counted again. There are like 15 non-romantic talks + 10 romantic ones. That should be more clear. 5 (not 4, sorry) are timered talks, but there are places where he will discuss some stuff... you know, like in Durlag's tower, in Candlekeep, upon CHARNAME finding who he/she really is etc. so 15 + 10 and maybe some minor stuff here and there. In SoD (apart from his friend talks and romance talks), if he's romanced, there is an additional character that may discuss some stuff about Verr'Sza. There is a total of 300 kb of text - it's more or less like the most recent version of Sirene NPC (@Artemius_I , correct me if I'm wrong + maybe you'll be better at describing how much content there really is...). He will also speak with all other NPCs, including Baeloth.
    mf2112Arthas
    Sirene-BG1 has 14 friendship talks and no romance. I believe I made more interjections and banters, which actually makes up a huge amount of my mod content now that I'm looking back. I'm almost certain Verr has enough content to keep him interesting throughout the whole game if you go for the romance, but without it... eh, it depends on how you pace yourself.
    Arthas
    I'm actually surprised that he has 15 non-romantic talks. But it's probably because when I added some stuff later. Like the talk at werewolfs' island. Or in Candlekeep. Well, as I said - it's more or less 300 kb in dialogue files.
    lolien
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Nice!
    And i thought that my daughter's black rakshasa bhaalspawn is unique...
    LavaDelVortel
    It surely is unique! :) There are no two exactly the same rakshasas! :)
    lolien
    updated the first post with some details on the number of talks. Enjoy! (yep, I skimmed the files and counted them)
    lolien
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    Looks pretty cool! Def trying him out for my next game.
    LavaDelVortel
    I hope you'll like him :)
    New version is up. It's much smaller as I used ogg an HANDLE_AUDIO tp2 thing. Buuuut there is no need to update the mod. To be honest, it's just the audio thing. Didn't want the mod to have 23 mb, when it cam have less than 5 mb....
    lolien
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    I'll soon be bringing my NE Wizard Slayer into SoD and wanted to keep the evilness of my current party (Dorn, Xzar, Monty, Tiax, Kagain) and this seems to fit the bill pretty nicely.
    If I didn't use Verr'sza in the first game, am I still able to recruit him in SoD? This may be a silly question, but I'm a complete noob to mods. :D
    Yes. You may still join him no problems here :)
    Papa_Lou
  • mirandirmirandir Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 26
    edited September 2016
    Hello @LavaDelVortel,

I have found a bug with Verr'Sza. In Candlekeep, the dialog "So this is the place where you lived? I'm surprised it didn't bore you..." is repeating itself without end.

I change the lines 430, 434 and 438 in l#1verrj.d. I replace
    DO ~SetGlobal("L#1VerrCandlekeep","GLOBAL",1)~ EXIT
    by
    DO ~SetGlobal("L#1VerrCandlekeep","GLOBAL",2)~ EXIT
    to solve the problem.
    Post edited by mirandir on
    LavaDelVortel
    @mirandir - Thanks! Uploaded here, will upload at SHS in a sec. Any chance you (or someone else) could check if it installs fine? I couldn't check it right now, just fixed the value of the variable.
    It works here, thanks :smile:.
    LavaDelVortel
    Thanks :) Hope you'll enjoy (or rather "you're enjoying" :P ) your run with Verr'Sza!
    Hello @LavaDelVortel,

I've found another bug, in SoD. After the 'romance conflict' dialog ("Hmm, I think there is a certain someone you pay a lot of attention..."), it's impossible to move Verr'Sza. He stops himself after a few seconds.

After some moments of digging, I've found the problem: after the 'romance conflict' dialog, "L#1VerrRomanceconflict" can be set to 3. At the end of the script of Verr'Sza (l#1dver.baf), this code seems to never stop in this case:
    IF
    Global("L#1VerrRomanceconflict","GLOBAL",3)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("bd_glint_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_neera_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_dorn_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_safana_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_rasaad_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_corwin_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_viconia_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_Voghiln_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_glint_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("bd_neera_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("bd_dorn_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("bd_safana_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("bd_rasaad_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("bd_corwin_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("bd_viconia_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("bd_Voghiln_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    END
    In my game, define "L#1VerrRomanceconflict" to 4 solves the problem. Maybe you should modify this code to:
    IF
    Global("L#1VerrRomanceconflict","GLOBAL",3)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("bd_glint_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_neera_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_dorn_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_safana_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_rasaad_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_corwin_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_viconia_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_Voghiln_romanceactive","GLOBAL",3)
    SetGlobal("bd_glint_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("bd_neera_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("bd_dorn_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("bd_safana_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("bd_rasaad_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("bd_corwin_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("bd_viconia_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("bd_Voghiln_romancecheck","GLOBAL",2)
    SetGlobal("L#1VerrRomanceconflict","GLOBAL",4)
    END
    @mirandir - Fixed! Thanks! Added an extra global there. Aaaand I think I forgot to add script to fire conflict dialogue so I guess another talk might have followed the conflict talk, right?

Anyway, just uploaded a new version. BTW, you're in the readme now :)

And as always - will be glad if someone could let me know if the mod installs fine.

@mirandir - Fixed! Thanks! Added an extra global there. Aaaand I think I forgot to add script to fire conflict dialogue so I guess another talk might have followed the conflict talk, right?

I'm not sure, maybe. It was late when I found the bug :smiley:

And as always - will be glad if someone could let me know if the mod installs fine.

It works :smile:

LavaDelVortel
    @mirandir - Thanks! :) Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the mod and that you do not feel it was off or something :) Even though there aren't tons of talks in SoD, I think the addition of the... uhm... the other, smaller character is a nice addition, not so common in romances :)
    I've ended the mod (and SoD). Thank you for it, it was... different. I'm not a big fan of romance usually, but Verr'Sza was refreshing.
    And yes, the small character is interesting. Thanks for your great work! :smile:
    LavaDelVortel
    Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the mod :) I tried to make it appropriate for an evil character. I didn't want it to be sweet and too poematic, but I also didn't want it to be "I just want sex" type. Hope that I found the balance and that Verr'Sza is more than just a furry toy :)

Cheers!