Skip to content

The Villains: What still separates BG1 from other RPGs after all these years

I recently bought DA:Origins when it was on sale at GOG and have been playing it for the very first time. I've apparently completed 26% of the game (or so it tells me), and I've really enjoyed a number of things about it, including the story, characters, and dialogues. However, one serious drawback to the game that I've encountered (and which may ultimately discourage me from continuing to play it) is the combat, which feels more akin to action-oriented games like IWD or Diablo than a story-driven game like BG1 - in other words, the game just keeps throwing waves of the same nameless thugs, mages, and/or demons at you, instead of presenting you with individually unique and memorable enemies and encounters. I find that when games do this (like Pillars), the combat comes to feel very repetitive, even tedious, as though it were an impediment or distraction to experiencing the story rather than an integral part of the story itself. Practically every time that I step into a new room now, I think to myself, " *sigh* Oh goodie, yet ANOTHER room full of nameless thugs/mages/demons, etc. ..." This isn't to say that the battles aren't still challenging, but the game's "method" of challenging you is to simply increase the volume of nameless thugs that are thrown at you. On top of that, this kind of repetitive/tedious combat will usually seriously diminish the replay value of a game for me.

By contrast, like many things about BG1, the combat emphasized quality over quantity - instead of endless waves of nameless goons, you encounter individually memorable enemies like Silke, Nimbul, Bassilus, Brage, Davaeorn, etc., who have their own unique abilities, personas, and in some cases, even backstories. For me, many of these characters are almost iconic. Even after all these years, I still get apprehensive about guys like Tarnesh, Nimbul, and Davaeorn, since battles against them are often very unpredictable - they can just as easily kill you as you can kill them. IMO, it's one of the standout qualities of BG1 that still separates it from other RPGs that have come along since then.

Anyone else here feel the same way?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    BG also had its fair share of random enemies: packs of wolves, those dang early game bears, bandits, kobolds. But I think these stick in the mind less remembering the games because they go so fast. Fights in DAO move a little slower, so the random fodder has more time to impress on the player.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I don't feel like there's much variety in BG1's enemies. Most of the spellcasters cast the exact same sets of spells; there are only a few exceptions; Davaeorn, Andris, Semaj, Resar, and Shandalar are the only ones I can think of. Not even Thalantyr gets his own unique set of spells. The vast majority of other enemies just walk up to you and attack you. Honestly, I prefer Planescape: Torment's combat over an unmodded BG1's combat. The enemies in that game aren't very interesting to fight either, but at least the companions have cool abilities, like Morte's high physical damage resistance.

I can't speak for Dragon Age: Origins because I haven't played it in a long time, and my appreciation for BG1's combat has dulled since I've played that game a LOT, so I'm not the best judge of this.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited August 2016

in other words, the game just keeps throwing waves of the same nameless thugs, mages, and/or demons at you, instead of presenting you with individually unique and memorable enemies and encounters.

By contrast, like many things about BG1, the combat emphasized quality over quantity - instead of endless waves of nameless goons,

I feel like we played two different bg 1 because... because I got endless waves of nameless goons in all of my play through of bg 1, and barely remember any of the named enemies from bg 1, heck I can at least remember some of the none dragon enemies from bg2, but none at all from bg 1.
    Post edited by DragonKing on
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Quick Note: Dragon Age Origins is the only RPG game that makes a battle against a dragon as it should be.

That being said...

The BG Saga give us that feeling that our hatred against an enemy is personal.

It's not the combat system or the names of the enemies, but the fact that you are being hunted, and tortured, and experimented, etc. We're not a pain in our enemies a**es, THEY'RE a pain in our a**es.
    @Raduziel
    You mean me sitting back crying that i had to use a freaking mod to get a dragon transformation, let alone a HIGH DRAGON form; which I couldn't even unlock until i started to playing the dlc? (the level you needed to reach high dragon couldn't be reached in da:o)
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2016
    I certainly have always felt that DA:O suffered from a Big Bad that had no personality or agency, but I don't think there is anything exceptional about BG1's villains. It was the faithful recreation of the PnP game, including cheezyness and dumb pop culture jokes, that made BG1 great.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think the OP is biased in favor of BG. BG is no better in this regard than most RPGs.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I think DA:O's choice of having the Arch-demon as a silent, "world-ending" villain on one hand and then Loghain as another villain that you interact more with and face off against was very good design. Especially since the goal of little Loggy is the exact same thing that you want - to protect Ferengland and stop the Blight, but you are put at odds anyway because of unreconcileable circumstances and perspectives.
    I didn't think Loghain cut it as a villain, he never felt like a significant threat to me.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    edited August 2016
    Urthemiel has an interesting backstory but as far as his behavior in-game goes he's your quintessential crush kill destroy monster. It's a bit of a shame that The Architect only appears in a DLC, he could have injected some moral ambiguity to the darkspawn conflict if he had been present in the main campaign.

Other than that, BG has more than its share of throwaway mobs, just like Dragon Age: Origins. 2 and Inquisition are, on the other hand, significantly worse than BG in that regard.
    @BelgarathMTH
    What was the "man vs himself" part of BG again, because I thnk I miss that part, ESPECIALLY in bg 1. There was no man vs himself since nothing PC did as a whole conflicted with "himself". Even in bg 2 with the who "dream sequences" and even in hell where you had to do the trials, there was no self-conflict because the choices you made didn't go against the PC. They don't go against the PC because the PC is a blank slate. The problems with characters like PC in BG is since nothing about them are "actually" defined having self-conflict is actually a lot harder compared to other RPG characters who are more defined by "what/who they are"; which makes the choices the player actually make a lot more conflicting when it goes against the character's self-identity.

Now this doesn't deny the fact that you the player can and possibly will imprint self-conflict onto the character to make them more interesting, but that is not the character itself, but the character we the players want him to be.

@Fardragon
    Logan didn't cut it as a Villian because he from my perspective he wasn't necessarily a villain, but more along the lines of an anti-hero at best or anti-villain at worse (oxymoron anyone?) His actions (murder of the king and nonstrategic abandoning villages) placed him in the villain seat for most people despite some of his ideas and claims did have ground to stand on. Seriously, I know we are the grey wardens and all, and its our job to end the blight, but... from my playthroughs the king didn't give me any incentive that he was actually taking the threat seriously! He was naively dreaming about fighting side by side with the grey wardens and not taking in the seriousness of that they were at war with a conquering army! I can even understand Logan's position of not really trusting the warden's. I mean shoot, one of the biggest holes in the game is that wardens are needed to stop the blight and the Darkspawn, and it has shown time and time again that their very blood is poisonous, yet you run around with a group of nonwardens who seem to have noo problem dealing with any of it and the Warden's only really needed to capture and kill the soul of the corrupted gods.

Lets not for getting the bonuses of becoming a GW, you have a shortened life span, and chances are high that you won't survive the joining ritual. Also, they don't tell you that you can be killed during the ritual, and you're not allowed to back out of the ritual joining when you learn the truth.

• OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    edited August 2016
    I love DA:O. I do not understand your critique at all.

DA:O had imho a very rich story, excellent NPCs, very good gameplay (except the fade, I hate the fade), an excellent ruleset (that maybe put mages a tad into OP territory but so does BG), good environments, excellent quest design where your choices actually matters and not everything is black and white.

Darkspawn are supposed to be more like a swarm than actual individuals but even so you face quite a few unique ones.

I loved the encounters, often fighting a few to 6-8 enemies at most with a very varied skillset, often around your level of power, very few pathetic fodder mooks (or gnolls/goblins/kobolds if you will). Very unforgiving if playing on the hardest setting and attempting no-reloads. A lot of skills and spells had a very satisfying "impact" upon use, also the spells and abilities used by your enemies. Have you seen the fireballs or crushing prisons being tossed around? Just a shame that the enemies wouldn't use the more OP tactics like paralyze bomb (glyph combo) or mana clash (I never used it since it broke the game). Clearly it has balance issues, but so does BG.

Every class was very useful but the standard holy trinity makes any party stronger, if you want to be on the safe side take two mages (with force field and crushing prison minimum) to make life easier.

Cunning rogues were the undisputed DPS kings, str/dex warriors the tanks, dex dw warriors (daggers) ok dps and tanky, pure str two-handed weapon warriors were good burst DPS with excellent CC and folded like wet paper towels when hit by anything (my favorite, not the most powerful by any stretch of the imagination but very satisfying to play, OP like everything else in awakening). Every class worked with different builds but clearly excelled at something. I actually think that DA:O made progress when thinking about party compositions.

If you had made this thread and pointed to DA2 or DA Inquisition I would not have anything to say in their defense. Are you sure it's DA:O that you've started @SharGuidesMyHand ?
    edited August 2016
    @BelgarathMTH
    I assumed that what you was referencing too, but even then there was almost no conflict. If my memory serves, we had one dream sequence and one forced transformation dealing directly with the slayer and it didn't even make a powerful impact on the story at all. The dream sequences between PC and Irencus were stronger. Which was disappointing seeing in throne of Bhaal, the place where they wouldn't shut up about being a bhaalspawn and godly power. I would've expected the only 2 sequences in BG2 that were more of a foreshadowing setup for an actual "man vs himself" t setup; one would've actually expected the slayer identity, to take a more forefront role in the story and actually create a real ideal of "man vs Himself" situation on top of dealing with the five compared to what we got.

To put it bluntly, claiming that the two little scenes that we got in bg2 which actually led to nowhere as a full on man vs himself situation is like taking a little white lie (something insignificant) and saying it is the Watergate scandal. When slayer form was awakened, it should have had a much bigger place in the story than what it did, but it basically went nearly completely nonexistent. It is so nonexistent that you could remove the only two scenes in the game that they are a part of the story and the story won't deviate at all. That is how unimpactful it was and how little it played with a "man vs himself" scenario.

There are many ways to fix this.
    The more evil you did, the sooner slayer actually started to emerge, or even begin to influence the choices the player could make.

After slayer became awakened, actually give it more direct influence on the main story. Actually showing the presence is still there and it is growing in power.

so on and so on.

Yes the franchise does begin with the concept, but beginning with a concept doesn't mean it also delivered it. Baulder's gate didn't deliver it and I'm not afraid to say it. In fact through the whole series I never once even felt that there was an inner conflict vs myself. The closest it got was PC coming to terms with his father's death.
    Post edited by DragonKing on
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    "Man vs. self" was alluded to, but did not appear explicitly. At least not regarding Charname (it was explicit, albeit shorter, with Anomen). The player needs to imagine most of that conflict; the game merely suggests it to you.

Still, this is simply a semantic distinction. So, whatevs.
    In DA:O, what you are actually battling is a disease, not a villain. It resembles a disaster movie, something like Outbreak. As with many disaster movies, the biggest obstacles are humans who, for whatever reason, want to deal with the problem in the "wrong" way. The protagonist, inevitably, is the person who knows the "right" way to tackle it.

Having analysed disaster movies, I have to say that I am not a fan. I would rather have a devious antagonist with an evil plot to face off against. Call me simplistic and old fashioned.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    IMHO DA:O did what NWN could never do: give us a successor to BG.
    edited August 2016
    This topic has me wanting to reinstall DAO and relive it... I just need to find the mods now.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I never felt like DA:O needed many mods. Though I do use the 2 Spec Sten mod, and recommend it.

And don't forget, the Nexus probably has the mods you're looking for.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Both main villains follow what makes a good antagonist:

-Directly (or incidentally) opposed to the protagonist.
    Sarevok needs to kill you so he can be the last, and Irenicus needs your soul for his plan to work.

-Primary obstacle to the protagonist plot goal:
    Sarevok is the puppet master behind the iron shortage, and Irenicus is the one who's either got Imoen hostage/can reveal secrets about your divine lineage.

-Shares important similarities with the protagonist
    Sarevok and you share the same lineage, while Irenicus , well, I don't which similarities Irenicus has, so I'll give it to Sarevok.

Most importantly: CHARISMA. Making charismatic villains ain't no easy task, there's only one Joker , or Darth Vader, or Voldemort out there.
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    edited August 2016
    Sorry guys, veered a bit off topic in my urgency to defend what is one of my favorite games.

Villains was the topic at hand:

Loghain is a complicated character who turns from a hero into a power hungry tyrant due to a series of actions ranging from gray to black starting with his retreat (who was tactical surely? They would have lost the battle anyway wouldn't they? You never get to truly learn this!). His partner in crime Arl Rendon Howe is anything but gray, the classic evil bastard everyone loves to hate (and eventually kill).

Loghains daughter Anora is another complicated character, not a hero, not a villain, but a strong character with her very own agenda, clearly more looking after her own interests than those of Ferelden.

Loghains captain of the guard Ser Cauthrien is perhaps the most loyal and well meaning of all the characters in the game, it's just she's on the wrong side.

Uldred is a mage who when dabbling into blood magic gets more than he bargained for. A lot because of the oppression by the Templars who are considered good even if they don't always act like it.

Bhelen is a douchebag, but is Harrowmont any better? Do you want to give the casteless a fighting chance or continue the traditions that have the dwarves fighting a hopeless battle against the darkspawn?

The city elf origin story introduces you to a charming young nobleman and his family..

What about Duncan? Is he a Hero? A Villain? If he is a hero he sure has plenty of gray to him.

Flemeth is just iconic.

The Archdemon is the soul of an old god reborn. End of the world scenario and all that. The whole idea about the darkspawn, the golden city and the old gods are more than enough for me as a main threat.

There are quite a few more than springs to mind but this already turned into a wall of text..

Comparing DA:O with the BG series is very hard for me since they are so different. But for me both are amazing games.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited August 2016
    DJKajuru said:

Both main villains follow what makes a good antagonist:

-Directly (or incidentally) opposed to the protagonist.
    Sarevok needs to kill you so he can be the last, and Irenicus needs your soul for his plan to work.

-Primary obstacle to the protagonist plot goal:
    Sarevok is the puppet master behind the iron shortage, and Irenicus is the one who's either got Imoen hostage/can reveal secrets about your divine lineage.

-Shares important similarities with the protagonist
    Sarevok and you share the same lineage, while Irenicus , well, I don't which similarities Irenicus has, so I'll give it to Sarevok.

Most importantly: CHARISMA. Making charismatic villains ain't no easy task, there's only one Joker , or Darth Vader, or Voldemort out there.

I'd say the voice acting also ends up making a big difference..Sarevoks voice is just awesome.

I don't find anyone else in Sarevoks gang particularly memorable though, because they hardly are.

I disagree on Voldemort , I didn't find him particularly charismatic in anyway near the final books. He just ended up feeling pathetic in the final book.
  • GloatingSwineGloatingSwine Member Posts: 18
    A downside of DAO is that the Archdemon is just a monster and a lot of Loghain's plot got left on the cutting room floor with the Orlais stuff.

I would have preferred less mucking about with dwarves and elves and more of the politics of Ferelden which was what the actual obstacle to dealing with the blight was.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited August 2016
    I'll definitely agree with you on two points -

1. Mainly that BG1's named enemies especially as parts of random-esq encounters (THE FASTEST DART THROWER IN THE WEST!!!) were very memorable - especially if they presented unique challenges or provided interesting loot (greywolf et al). If anything, I would say DA:O's problem isn't that they don't have some interesting fights or side characters that show up to fight you (your first Ogre is probably one of the most memorable parts of the game for me); it's that they're not spaced as well as they were in BG. An easy example of this is the Friendly Arm Inn. Yes, the top of the map has 7 total, nameless, identical (mostly anyways) hobgoblins, along with the first (typically) mage fight in the game. So, you have a memorable, different, named fight (since aforementioned mage tends to kill most players the first time they meet him) and 3 more straight forward fights in the same area. Whereas DA:O usually has a plethora of nameless samey fights which lead into a named fight or special event (which ends in a named fight). In DA;O I think it mainly serves to 1. provide tactical-ish combat 2. Bloodlust satiation (killing stuff is supposed to be fun) 3. pad the game length (especially egregious in DA2).

2. Games going for Bethesda-esq massively open worlds *requires* some sort of really big threat to feel impactful. A good example of this change is Fallout 1 to Fallout 2. Fallout 1 has 6ish towns and has a very focused story-line (virtually everything takes place and is specific to the small part of California where the game occurs), whereas fallout 2 is much larger in scope with 12 or so towns and so the threat is much bigger to balance things out (although is still quite focused for most of the game). Things just feel more important when there's less of it going on. DA:O is actually a kind of compromise - which others above have noted - since you have a very big antagonist COUPLED with a more localized and (as far as the story goes) important antagonist. Origin stories where Loghain directly screws over CHARNAME (or makes friends with those that do) serve that narrative quite well and give a lot more motivation to the player. But if you play an origin story that doesn't really involve Loggy or his goons, I could see how he would mean a lot less. If you haven't, play through the game as a Human Noble Female - it can really personalize the conflict with Loggy - it's a shame some of the other origins really don't set that up at all.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Humsn noble female has become my favorite origin whenever I play through DAO