Skip to content

Making it Work: Inventory

Comments

• RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    I don't know which version I prefer; Mr2150's looks more balanced but it's different enough from the standard to seem odd at first. I do like those icons though.

@Pecca, when you say that 5 statistics can be placed in horizontal format, what were you thinking that might look like?
    Mr2150Danathion
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    I assumed he meant having:

320 / 320

Instead of...

• PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    Like this:

Mr2150Danathion
    Ah ok... that doesn't work for me - it is too busy.
    CahirDanathion
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    @Pecca
    I’m impressed with your concept for icons. :) So in your first screen shot, would the relevant text for each icon be directly to the right of each icon, as it was in ver. 1.3?
    You know, I kind of like the horizontal version of Pecca's. It is a little busy, but everything will be busier once the text is added in. Although, I don't know if I prefer it over the other horizontal one box. That might still be my favorite.
    Danathion
    It could be same as in v1.3, though the concept is of the "simplified" mode I was talking about earlier with labels and hover effect. If there was to be an exact v1.3 functionality, it could work as a third mode (though three options for combat stats area might be too much, certainly maximum).
    Actually, I take it back again...

It's not too busy in horizontal layout... I think the box for the icon and the box for the stat should be the uniform slot size... then it works nicely, in my opinion, of course...

It's actually less space than yours @Pecca , but it feels like it has a little more breathing space.

Danathion
    Hmm… If you mean that the box area would be mostly empty unless you hovered over it, that doesn’t feel right to me. I think this might work if used with the same functionality as 1.3. But I don’t think I would use it with only hover over text.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I added some more ornamentation to the right of the text box, as @Ravenslight suggested:

With ground box ornamentation:

Without ground box ornamentation:
    Mr2150RavenslightJuliusBorisov
    @Ravenslight Well you wouldn't have to use it, that's the point of having more options/modes.

@Mr2150: the size doesn't have to be uniform, just exact one that works in the current situation. Yours looks good.
    Mr2150
    I like that much better Abdel. It feels more balanced under the icon box now and the ground box having the same color and texture as the inventory slots has a familiar Baldur’s Gate feel to me.
    Adul
    @Pecca
    I agree, :) The more options the better. I’m still trying to find one that I personally could use.
    edited August 2016
    I think Adul's first one with the ornamentation does look better than without. Although, I actually don't mind the single smooth background that Pecca and Mr2150 have been using.

I would however like to put in a vote for a better ground box label than the default one that we have right now. Maybe more spacing as we've mentioned earlier.
    Adul
    edited August 2016
    @Pecca & @Adul would you guys mind if your horizontal icons, with one box and optional toggles mated?

I wonder what @Pecca 's 5 horizontal icons with @Adul 's extra ornamentation might look like.
    (I think the kids might be beautiful, you see ;) )
    RatatoskrAdul
    @Mr2150 Nah man, go for it!
    Here's another ground box variant:

JuliusBorisov
    Personally, I don’t like that texture used there.
    Adul
    @Adul I definitely like the new spacing better. Though I think I prefer the first ornamentation. It fits better with the rest of the screen.
    Adul
    Here's an idea for what the kids might look like ;)

Remember any ornamentation is just a note to the devs/graphic artists to say 'pretty stuff here'....
    Adul
    edited August 2016
    @Mr2150 It's a little hard to imagine what the screen will really look like with the empty boxes (since all the empty equipment slots actually have a background and the stats would have numbers), but that's not bad. I'm honestly not sure which icons I prefer now, though I think I do like the wider version of the information section (more like how Adul has in the version above)
    Adul
    Would the boxes under the icons need to be so big? Like could they be drawn upwards to be a bit slimmer? @Mr2150
    Adul
    Yes they need to be big so even large fonts can fit there without being downsized.
    Mr2150Danathion
    edited August 2016
    I see what you mean @Pecca , but they look bigger to me then the inventory slots, feels odd. I was thinking that if the fonts fit inside the icons with Adul‘s mock up, that perhaps the boxes don’t need to be quite so big.
    Adul
    They need to be able to hold two rows of text @Ravenslight so I would hesitate to make the boxes underneath the icons smaller. In @Pecca 's original they were 1.5x the size I had them.

Here's some random text so you can see what it would look like ...

JuliusBorisov
    Although I like the look of Pecca’s graphics for the icons, I prefer the overall look of @Adul’s screen.
    Why is that?
    Give me a minute, I have one in the works too.
    Mr2150
    As I mentioned, the size of the boxes throws it off. Once the numbers were added, it also felt more data base like as well. Overall, it takes up more screen space just for the icons and numbers, and feels less appealing to me.