Skip to content

Making it Work: Inventory

Comments

• RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    edited August 2016
    @Ravenslight I think it's important to note that we're not comparing identical layouts in terms of the rest of the screen. For example, @Adul's has the equipment backgrounds, name, numbers and the character filled in, while Pecca's/@Mr2150's does not. They're also using different ground slot backgrounds.

That difference definitely affects the way that I look at them, which is why I've been trying to only compare the icon sections. That said, I still prefer the wider version of the text box.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited August 2016
    @Pecca's graphics icons look delicious indeed. Although I feel there could be too little space in the big box with characteristics for the text in languages other than English. Ornamentation around this box seems a bit to wide. Could you make it thinner an widen a box a bit?
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Here's my fusion attempt:

• Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    edited August 2016
    And another fusion but making the ornamentation less imposing and increasing the space for non-English languages...

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Better @Adul, removing the line between the graphic and the numbers and drawing them up helps.
    I like @Pecca 's smaller icons better than the ones we used previously, because they draw less attention away from the important bits: the inventory. And I prefer not to have dividers between the stat icons and the numbers, it just looks more cohesive without them in my opinion, helps to show that they're the same item.
    See, it's interesting... the ornamentation that @Pecca used for the icon backgrounds was the dark-brown 'eggshell' look and I think that having the dividers makes it feel like the text box underneath. With the dark brown being the heading, and plain white text being the detail. For me there is a symmetry there.

I like your fusion @Adul but to me the numbers feel squished into the icons.
    Mr2150 said:

I like your fusion @Adul but to me the numbers feel squished into the icons.

Yeah, me too a little bit. I'll try adding some space to them.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,177
    Having one box with icon and value inside can work, but I think it needs to be a bit bigger.
    I agree @Adul, and they don’t feel squished together at all to me. Seems just right.
    edited August 2016
    I added some more space to the icon boxes. It's not a huge difference (5 pixels) but I think they look less crammed now:

That looks much better @Adul... that extra space really works.

I took some space away - to match the spacing of your new one - but took the opposite approach of having the icons/detail separated:

edited August 2016
    I could be happy with either of those. They both look quite nice to me.
    I think I slightly prefer @Mr2150's ground box, info box (though that could partially be the toggles) and the filled in missing color box, while I prefer @Adul's icons and other ornamentation, but those are honestly minor quibbles at this point. And the less grid-like icons on Mr2150's new ones are pretty good too.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    I like the way Adul did it, without the line in the middle, so it's clear that the number goes with the specific icon. The line in between (and especially the removal of vertical lines in Mr2150's last example) kinda kills that for me.

It is quite the step away from numbers inside the icons, so while I'm totally for seeing how far we can bring this, we should probably keep an alternate suggestion up in case the devs disagree with moving the numbers out of the icons.
    edited August 2016
    Yeah the big text box is outdated in my mockups, because I'm lazy. I'd use @Mr2150 's newer designs too.

Edit: in fact, give me a moment and I'll update it.
    Yeah, I really prefer @Adul’s approach to the icons. Separating them out feels out of character for Baldur’s Gate to me.
    edited August 2016
    This is the same as my last mockup, but with updated stat breakdowns (@Mr2150 's design) and with second color box for minor color:

Edit: backgroundless ground box version:

@Adul That definitely looks better. Although, I think with Pecca's icons, I really do prefer the smooth (and unbroken) inventory/ground box background. Not sure why. But that's just preference and I would be fine with this.
    edited August 2016
    @Ratatoskr589 I think I also prefer that one. I've just updated my above post with an alt version.
    edited August 2016
    @Adul Yeah, I do like that background. Although, I think it needs the skinnier black box that Mr2150 has been using. Otherwise the ground box label sort of blends into the info box.

Edit - @Pecca I meant the skinnier black box for the label (Ground 1/2), if that wasn't clear. I'm not 100% sure which post you were responding to. Although I do like that you made the ornamentation even all the way across the bottom.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,177
    edited August 2016
    Looks similar now.

Yeah, we pretty much arrived at the same layout through osmosis. :smiley:

Slimmer ground box version:
    edited August 2016
    Quick question. Now that we've flipped the ground box orientation, are we thinking that it's going to scroll to the right or down? If it scrolls down, we could put the arrows on the right side in order to save space above the box.

And @Abul that looks much better to me. Although I think I'd still like a more attractive label in general. The black background is slightly too eyecatching for my tastes.
  • DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173
    edited August 2016
    you guys work much faster than I :smiley:

I just brought the icon boxes down a bit further so everything's inline.

Edit: and I meant to say @Pecca, I *really* like your icons. It's great to see how this has evolved!
    In 2.3 it scrolls horizontally, there are large arrows on each side. I'd not be against switching it to vertical scrolling to make it more consistent with the other looting options on the main game screen.
    They look to big brought down like that to me. They loose their icon feel.
  • DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173

They look to big brought down like that to me. They loose their icon feel.

I just have a bit of OCD about things lining up is all :wink:
    If we tried to switch to vertical scrolling for the ground item box, do we want those big arrow buttons in the inventory? They might be a bit of a dominating presence.

edited August 2016
    I vote for smaller buttons/arrows or a scrollbar. The ones on Adul's latest mockup aren't bad, they'd just need to be moved.