Skip to content

5e Races You're Likely To Play?

GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
edited September 2016 in Off-Topic
This is a companion poll to the classes one, I'm curious as to what races 5e has presented us with so far all of us are most interested in playing! All are Player's Handbook races unless otherwise indicated, DMG is Dungeon Master's Guide and EEPC is the Elemental Evil Player's Companion (gonna squish those all in to one option, so make sure to comment with which one if one of those has your vote).

Oh, and mention a subrace if that's a thing for you (i.e. if you want to play a drow or svirfneblin, pick the race and let us know in the thread that you have a specific Underdark subrace in mind) and also yes before any smartypants wanna school me: I know there's a subrace in the EEPC (svirfneblin) and the DMG (eladrin), but that's covered under the race in question!
  1. 5e Races You're Likely To Play?33 votes
    1. Dwarf
      15.15%
    2. Elf
        6.06%
    3. Halfling
        3.03%
    4. Human
      15.15%
    5. Dragonborn
        9.09%
    6. Gnome
        9.09%
    7. Half-Elf
      15.15%
    8. Half-Orc
        9.09%
    9. Aasimar (DMG), Tiefling
      12.12%
    10. Aarakocra (EEPC), Genasi (EEPC), Goliath (EEPC)
        6.06%

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Svirfneblin! I love those shy little buggers.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    edited September 2016
    Halfling, naturally. Whether he'll be one of my Littleknights (Stouts) or one of my Gwigfallows (Lightfoots) depends on the class, but that's another thread! :wink:
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Love for the little folk early on here!

I'm tossin' my weight behind Genasi, as I've always had a fondness for 'em ever since I played a Calimport native fire genasi wizard back in 3e (not 3.5 mind you, this is before those days), but I'm not particularly interested in Goliath and would probably never play an Aarakocra (or take a long time to get around to an Aarakocra playthrough anyway).

My 2nd choice would probably be a human just because I know I play them a lot and so I'm pretty likely to play one at some point...or maybe half-orc or tiefling since I'd be interested to see if Beamdog has NPCs react to that choice! But I know if Genasi makes it into the options I can choose from, I'm probably going to want to pick that and do an air genasi archer of some kind on my first playthrough. :)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Anything clearly non-human is fine in my book. Like Centaurs, Wemics and Skorpionfolk for instance.

I don't like it that the 5e Aarakocra got their winged arms split into two separat limbs. The previous editions had it right.

Anything clearly non-human is fine in my book. Like Centaurs, Wemics and Skorpionfolk for instance.

I don't like it that the 5e Aarakocra got their winged arms split into two separat limbs. The previous editions had it right.

It'd be cool if they did provide really clearly non-human races. I wish some company, Beamdog or Obsidian or Harebrained Schemes or whoever, would make a Bas-Lag isometric RPG so I could have a party with the bizarre creatures of China Miéville's industrial fantasy.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Dwarfs stay dwarfs no matter the edition ;)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I'd prolly go with something similar to my latest charname(s), which is to create chars close to my IRL class and looks in-game.
    Skatan said:

I'd prolly go with something similar to my latest charname(s), which is to create chars close to my IRL class and looks in-game.

But wouldn't fit aarakocra better for a RL magpie?
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I went with tiefling.

I'd also play elves. Or genasi.

Skatan said:

But wouldn't fit aarakocra better for a RL magpie?
    Aaah true, that is a good observation. If they can sport the tail coat of a magpie, I'd have to change my vote and make a magpie bard of course!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Anything but Dragonborn. They only fit the Dragonlance setting.

But if I had to choose 1, Half-elf would get my vote due to the versatility of the race. Two ability skills to increase by 1 and two skills of your choice to be proficient in. Add a free language after common and elvish, you can create almost any type of character within the handbook rules.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Still waiting for wereferrets...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I'm a clanky old tank.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Anything
    But
    Tiefling

You didn't strike me as an Aarakocra/Goliath type!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I've always liked planars
    I don't understand Goliath. I googled them and read the short description and they seem extremely redundant.
    I only know Goliath from the 3.5 edition book Races of Stone. And even then they struck me as miniature giants with warts and a weakness for rugby. Might as well have sticked to the playable giant-kin of AD&D like Firbolgs, Verbeegs, Voadkyns and Fomorians.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2016
    I used to play a half ogre in PnP. Sounds pretty similar.

I guess there aren't a huge number of 5th edition splatbooks out yet, which makes the selection of additional races a bit skewed.

I can't see any of those making it into a new BG game though. SCL couldn't even get in all the core races.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    edited September 2016
    I'm a bit disappointed the poll is one selection only, it's way too hard to settle for just one :P . Do vanilla forums not have option for check any you'd like polls?

Anyway, I'd post anything but Dragonborn or the awful and boring 4th edition tieflings.

And maybe Arraaoocokra. But that's mostly because they have such a dumb sounding name. Makes me think more of a parrot or the idiot pelican from that Disney movie with the mice in Australia than it makes me think of mighty bird-of-prey-men or clever crow-people or any other cool kind of bird.

About genasis though, I haven't read that supplement. Die they return them to their original concept or did they keep the 4th edition ones?
    scriver said:

I'm a bit disappointed the poll is one selection only, it's way too hard to settle for just one :P . Do vanilla forums not have option for check any you'd like polls?

Anyway, I'd post anything but Dragonborn or the awful and boring 4th edition tieflings.

And maybe Arraaoocokra. But that's mostly because they have such a dumb sounding name. Makes me think more of a parrot or the idiot pelican from that Disney movie with the mice in Australia than it makes me think of mighty bird-of-prey-men or clever crow-people or any other cool kind of bird.

About genasis though, I haven't read that supplement. Die they return them to their original concept or did they keep the 4th edition ones?

The 5e tieflings are a reversion back to 2e/3e tieflings and away from the (I agree, awful and boring) 4e tieflings. The genasi are definitely more like 2e/3e as well. They seem to have pretty completely abandoned 4e and really tried to go back to their roots and make a true Dungeons and Dragons edition rather than trying to innovate in directions that take them off that path (like they did with 4e...and I use the term "innovate" loosely for 4e lmao)

I agree a poll option with a "select a top [x number] out of 10" or "select all you'd want" would be a cool thing for the forum to have! Any one in particular you lean to more than others for this format tho?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

The 5e tieflings are a reversion back to 2e/3e tieflings and away from the (I agree, awful and boring) 4e tieflings.

I most vehemently disagree, but as I'm writing this I am getting a strong sense of we having had this discussion at some point before at these forums so I am prepared to agree to disagree in order to not bog up your thread :P

I looked up the Genasi and it definitely looks like the went back towards their classic depictions, which I really like. If I absolutely had to choose, though, I'd probably go with human or halfling. Those are the races I play the most, after all, so it would probably be fitting.

(When in doubt, always go halfling)
    edited September 2016
    scriver said:

The 5e tieflings are a reversion back to 2e/3e tieflings and away from the (I agree, awful and boring) 4e tieflings.

I most vehemently disagree, but as I'm writing this I am getting a strong sense of we having had this discussion at some point before at these forums so I am prepared to agree to disagree in order to not bog up your thread :P
    The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide has rules for differing tiefling appearance and abilities so they can have traits from other fiends than Asmodeus/devils, which is very 2e! Even if it's not a percentile chart level of customization, it's a far cry from 4e's uniformity! I'll spoiler text it here:

TIEFLING VARIANTS
    Since not all tieflings are of the blood of Asmodeus, some have traits that differ from those in the Player's Handbook. The Dungeon Master may permit the following variants for your tiefling character, although Devil's Tongue, Hellfire, and Winged are mutually exclusive.
    Appearance. Your tiefling might not look like other tieflings. Rather than having the physical characteristics described in the Player's Handbook, choose 1d4+1 of the following features: small horns; fangs or sharp teeth; a forked tongue; catlike eyes; six fingers on each hand; goat-like legs; cloven hoofs; a forked tail; leathery or scaly skin; red or dark blue skin; cast no shadow or reflection; exude a smell of brimstone.
    Feral. Your Intelligence score increases by 1, and your Dexterity score increases by 2. This trait replaces the Ability Score Increase trait.
    Devil's Tongue. You know the vicious mockery cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the charm person spell as a 2nd-level spell once with this trait. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the enthrall spell once with this trait. You must finish a long rest to cast these spells once again with this trait. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for them. This trait replaces the Infernal Legacy trait.
    Hellfire. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the burning hands spell once per day as a 2nd-level spell. This trait replaces the hellish rebuke spell of the Infernal Legacy trait.
    Winged. You have bat-like wings sprouting from your shoulder blades. You have a flying speed of 30 feet. This trait replaces the Infernal Legacy trait.

It's worth noting that the DMG does outline how to create replacement traits like this for any race, so it wouldn't be that hard to cook up additional house-ruled Yugoloth or Tanar'ri flavoured replacements for Infernal Legacy in the same vein as these.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I am a bit dull, generally preferring a human female, when given the choice.

However, I personally much regret that post Valen Shadowbreath and Neeska - Neverwinternights universe really - we have not enjoyed any tiefling character of note in RPGS. And I really liked them both, a lot!

Unless I have happily missed some! :smiley:
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    I'm a sucker for warlocks, and tieflings are kind of the quintessential warlock race...
    Still kinda shocked that this Dwarf-lovin' board hasn't voted the Dwarves to the top!

I know I'll end up playing a Dwarven Cleric of Moradin or Dwarven Fighter if they include a Dwarven Defender style companion in the next game that's romanceable...but I'll probably end up playing a Genasi, Tiefling, Half-Orc and Half-Elf before I get there just 'cause I've got some definite concepts in mind to play already that demand to be played first.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    half-orcs get a sweetski bonus on critical hits, too bad our DM only allowed us to be human, dwarf, Halfling or elf laaaaaaaaaaaaaame
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I agree with @scriver about only being able to select one option. I also like mixing it up on race for my PCs. Over my 20+ years of playing D&D I've enjoyed playing pretty much every playable race.
    kanisatha said:

I agree with @scriver about only being able to select one option. I also like mixing it up on race for my PCs. Over my 20+ years of playing D&D I've enjoyed playing pretty much every playable race.

Yeah I agree, just testing the waters of what people think is their most likely to play. Should've said "most likely to play first" I suppose!