Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!
Curious about our plan for the next update? Read more about it Here!
Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear now available on Steam and GOG!
Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear is out! Order your copy at SiegeOfDragonspear.com!

2.0 update ETA?

2»

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 11,096
    Just to clarify:

One could interpret the job that is being done on the new project as helpful for 2.X versions in both cases:

(if it's not an EE) - oh, look at these menu options, Biff. Maybe we could use something like that in our EEs?

(if it's an EE) - oh, look at these new items, Biff. Maybe we could transfer them to our other EEs?
    ThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 6,427
    Well, here's me sitting with fingers crossed hoping that "helpful" doesn't just mean "inspiring potential UI paradigm improvements," but means helpful in a technical sense, meaning the new project is someway related to the I.E. engine. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Still, it's a shame it is delaying 2.x and SoD for iOS...

Ooh! Ooh! Maybe "helpful" has nothing to do with the infinity engine, but is related to the ability to get SoD into an iOS-ready container, and/or get modmerge-style modding up and running on tablets...
    GreenWarlockLuke93
  • therdretherdre Member Posts: 48

I'm sorry that you feel that way, old man Raduziel.

If you can't see much difference between IWD and IWDEE, I guess, nothing can change your view (classes, kits, spells, items, dialogue lines, many more).

IWDEE is pretty stable now. It doesn't have 2.X engine improvements, yes, but the 2.X engine improvements can still be... improved. The job that is being done on the new project will be helpful when improving the 2.X versions, in the end resulting in better IWDEE.

Please take your time, a few friends and I are enjoying the game quite a bit even though we've played through it a thousand times. The multiplayer is a lot more stable than in bg1/2 as well which is really nice. I'd rather see IWD2:EE before IWD:EE 2.0 personally.
    RelSundanJuliusBorisov
    edited December 2016

IWDEE is pretty stable now. It doesn't have 2.X engine improvements, yes, but...

Raduziel said:

@ineth As good as BG was before the update. Nonetheless, it became better updated.

Actually, that is far from true. People talk as if IWDEE is in the same shape as BGEE 1.3, but let's remember that IWDEE was actually patched up to 1.4 - and the 1.4 patch was so good that it served as the basis for the 2.0 patch. The 1.4 patch actually includes a solid 75% of the good stuff in the 2.0 patch.

I've spent the last few months working on mods exclusively designed for the 2.0 games... and to my surprise, 95% of them work just fine on IWDEE. One way to think about it is, IWDEE is like BG with 2.0 gameplay and the 1.3 UI.

(And, let's recall, wasn't there a huge outcry by people asking to play BGEE with 2.0 gameplay and the1.3 UI? IWDEE is in perfect condition for those people.)
    RelSundanlefreutRavenslightThacoBell
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,350
    @subtledoctor said:

Actually, that is far from true. People talk as if IWDEE is in the same shape as BGEE 1.3, but let's remember that IWDEE was actually patched up to 1.4 - and the 1.4 patch was so good that it served as the basis for the 2.0 patch. The 1.4 patch actually includes a solid 75% of the good stuff in the 2.0 patch.

I've spent the last few months working on mods exclusively designed for the 2.0 games... and to my surprise, 95% of them work just fine on IWDEE. One way to think about it is, IWDEE is like BG with 2.0 gameplay and the 1.3 UI.

(And, let's recall, wasn't there a huge outcry by people asking to play BGEE with 2.0 gameplay and the1.3 UI? IWDEE is in perfect condition for those people.)

(Raises hand…) If this is true, as one of those people, I would love the option to have BG patched back to 1.4. ;)
    RelSundan
    Well, that's the thing. What everyone expected was something like:
    - patch BGEE and BG2EE to 1.3
    - introduce IWDEE, patch to 1.4
    - patch BGEE and BG2EE to 1.4 with engine stuff
    - patch all the games with UI stuff
    - etc., moving in lockstep

Obviously the development process did not move that way, and we got this leapfrog thing instead. But it's too easy for people on the outside to shout criticism when we really don't know the circumstances, or what the consequences of adopting that artificial schedule would have been.

@Ravenslight like I say, just play IWDEE until the 2.4 patch addresses your UI concerns with the BGs.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 197
    Once we get the 2.X update for IWD:EE I should have a machine good enough to do a stream of it. Could be fun (I know my way around Icewind Dale well enough to where it wouldn't be a blind run, but at the same time I'm not an expert in IWD by any stretch so it'll be an adventure)
  • pst1pst1 Member Posts: 1
    When update? Please I can't wait :wink:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 11,096
    edited January 27
    We're still trying to come up with a good plan for IWDEE updates.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 702
    How many people are in Beamdog's staff?
  • mrjanemrjane Member Posts: 6
    I'm really looking forward to the 2.0 update. I played the EE when it first came out, but I've been itching to go through the whole thing again. I've just been holding off a new playthrough until 2.0 is released.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 153
    Raduziel said:

How many people are in Beamdog's staff?

None who care about ios/Android.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 1,498
    Just for the record. As already mentioned before by @subtledoctor gameplay functionality that can be found in v2.0 patched games can also be found in the current v1.4 patch of IWD:EE. Main difference is the new UI stuff (including journal and zoomed area map) and a few bugfixes. I don't think waiting for v2.x would do the current state of the game justice (which is excellent).
    CrevsDaak
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 392
    Just imagine, they release IWD3 along with IWD 2 EE and 2.x for IWD EE and announce PST EE, that would be one Abyss of a news.
    Sssiksseilor
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 153

Just imagine, they release IWD3 along with IWD 2 EE and 2.x for IWD EE and announce PST EE, that would be one Abyss of a news.

Just imagine all the non updated games to go with those releases too.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 1,823
    Just imagine taking that chip off your shoulder.
    JumboWheat01
    He'd fly away into the sky!
  • mrjanemrjane Member Posts: 6
    I'm also waiting on the 2.0 update to play through IWD again. I played YEARS ago, so it'd be nice to play again. A buddy and I are playing BG1:EE with the new update and it's pretty sweet. Anyone hear an estimated ETA on this?
    2018. I wouldn't wait for it. IWDEE 1.4 is great - really the only thing that annoys me coming from 2.0 is the inability to easily switch 2-handed/shield/dual wielding weapon loadouts.

But 1.4 is way closer to 2.0 in quality than to 1.3.
    former_customerThacoBellCrevsDaakineth
  • Luke93Luke93 Member Posts: 346

But there is a problem: https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/31/ios-10-3-beta-32-bit-app-warning/
    Let us hope for an update before September 2017......
  • thespacethespace Member Posts: 916
    edited March 13
    I am pretty much waiting for the IWDEE update to play again, simply because the new sprites/environments are much easier on my eyes. There will be much rejoicing when it surfaces, and in the meantime I will enjoy forgetting as much as I can about the game so that it will feel super fresh when I get to it again. Gosh bless Beamdog for their commitment to perfecting these games we all love so dearly! <3
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member Posts: 539
    Although this is about SoD I reckon' it is equally valid for IWD:EE on tablets.

2»