Skip to content

Favorite School of Magic

JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
So, obviously you're here because you play Dungeons and Dragons games. Well, I think it's obvious, anyway. And one of the facets of magic in the series is how it is divided into various Schools. Wizards can chose to specialize in a certain school, but all others tap into them one-way or another.

So, what is your favorite School of Magic? (Wizard levels not required.)

Of personal note, my favorite used to be Transmutation spells. I loved the idea of shaping the world or the power of others, but it has turned into Divination in my later PnP games. I love all the knowledge I can get with them, plus it's a great way to mess with my DM (and watch as he tries to mess back.)
  1. Favorite School of Magic80 votes
    1. Abjuration - Deny and protect
      11.25%
    2. Conjuration - Summon allies and minions
        8.75%
    3. Divination - Know all, see all
        7.50%
    4. Enchantment - Control minds directly
      15.00%
    5. Evocation - Directed destruction
      15.00%
    6. Illusion - Mess with the fabric of imagination
      16.25%
    7. Necromancy - Control over other's life force
      16.25%
    8. Transmutation - Shape the natural world
      10.00%

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    How cute to see you punching your allies or standing there like an idiot :smile:
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Surprise. In my experience, nothing breaks CR into tiny pieces quite like an undead army. Plus, you know.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Not enough helping hands at hand? No problem: just grow a few more with Transmutation, the problem solving magic school!
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    elminster said:

Chronomancy! :)

(For those who haven't heard of it this is a school of magic that deals with time travel)

That's gold.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    In Pen and Paper it's Illusion but it is way too limited in video games to reach its real potential so Enchantment gets my vote. I find preventing the enemy from attacking me or even making them use their powers in my interest is by far the best bang for my buck as a spell caster
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    elminster said:

Chronomancy! :)

(For those who haven't heard of it this is a school of magic that deals with time travel)

Power Word: Reload
    You know... I've been wondering for a while now. But to what school of magic does 'mouse magic' fall under? Muridaemancy?
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

You know... I've been wondering for a while now. But to what school of magic does 'mouse magic' fall under? Muridaemancy?

Musamancy, I think. Along with Claviaturamancy, it's probably more important than the other schools we've been discussing here.
    Technomancy would also be one, fancy school of magic if you'd think about it. It has everything one could ever need: from instant thought transmissions, to teleportation, to the creation of flying tea cups and the endless supply of modrons.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Hey, fun fact about divination magic - in Carceri, the prison plane, you can only read the future in the blood of friends.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Omni magic is the best school!

-coughomnipotencethroughmagiccough-
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Abjuration and Evocation are a classic pair, but on its own I think Divination has gotta be my fave.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Lovecraft fans united.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    For those with the most creative minds, illusion is the way to go.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Alteration.

Time Stop, Improved Haste, Teleport Field, Slow are my most favourite spells. Oh, and Goodberry. Goodberry is the best.
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    Transmutation cause Flesh to Stone.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Transmutation cause Flesh to Stone. And also Stone to Flesh. So is potentially the most powerful magic school, from the very moment you meet your first dragon :smiley:
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I try to do it multiple times, but without Feeblemind, much more challenging....
    When my party goes to dragon hunting they bring food for a week, and is a week of really hard work for them, but the reward, both as challenge and XP, is huge.
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    Iglosnof said:

Feeblemind > Flesh to Stone. Also you get the loot that way.

Not with SpellRev. :)