Skip to content

Best booze across the inns

KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
Here's a treat to all bar goers around the board~!
Feel free to order your favourite inn drinks of the IE games.

And don't worry about the money: the bill's on Korgan.

* Note that potions are non-alcoholic diet drinks with zero sugar and thus unacceptable as booze. And taste like turnip juice to boot.
  1. Best booze across the inns39 votes
    1. Ales
      28.21%
    2. Ciders
      10.26%
    3. Liquors
      12.82%
    4. Meads
      17.95%
    5. Wines
      30.77%

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I like dry mead as much as any Icewind Dale citizen. But sweet mead, I can only stomach mixed with black beer. I may be a pudding, but overly sweet drinks cause me heartburn to no end.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Wine is the only alchohlic drink I've ever been able to tolerate so I guess it takes my vote.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

No option for the tee-total party? I feel pooped!

The Union of Swordcoast's Barkeeper Guild used to serve non-alcoholic drinks made from the purest of spring water. But ever since the Shadow Druids nestled within that grove, the suppliers couldn't meet the guild's quantity demands. It also didn't help that recently Trademeet's heroes poisoned said spring water.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905

No option for the tee-total party? I feel pooped!

But would you really trust the water at some of these places?
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Normally I abstain completely from alcohol, but I wouldn't mind giving a good old fashioned mead a try.
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    Mead is a close second. Potent and distinctive, a real treat. But Nothing is better than a good Ale, and there are so many varieties, too.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Gin's my drink of choice, but I do also like ciders and mead (and on the same note, I'd recommend Ethiopian honey wine to anyone fortunate enough to have an Ethiopian food place handy). Very rare I'll care for a wine, and the only beers I've liked (Belgian lambics, and, oddly, Guinness) weren't ales and are thus inapplicable.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I'm gonna be a real party pooper here and say that I think all alcohol tastes like c**p. Technically I'm not of age to drink yet but only in the US. Those chocolates with wine or whatever in the middle are alright though I guess.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    In the vast majority of cases, I find that alcohol ruins the taste of most things.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Was that... pirate metal?

Where has that been all my life?
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    edited September 2016
    Old muscatel wine. Though, sometimes, also shiraz.

Or, since we're in D&D, whatever substitutes of those Gygax invented.
    Has anyone tried a drunken Baldur's Gate challenge? Watcher's Keep on 12 pints of Elminster's Choice, for instance? I suppose the intoxication effect will wear off by the time you make it from a town to the WK map. Maybe the WK merchant should also start offering drinks...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Has anyone tried a drunken Baldur's Gate challenge? Watcher's Keep on 12 pints of Elminster's Choice, for instance? I suppose the intoxication effect will wear off by the time you make it from a town to the WK map. Maybe the WK merchant should also start offering drinks...

Down a shot every time you hear "You must gather your party..."
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    edited September 2016
    We'll be dead within the day.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864

Has anyone tried a drunken Baldur's Gate challenge?

I did, but I did fall asleep on the chair after 15 minutes of gaming... :smiley:
    And everything before that moment was quite confused, I would say: "not really funny, may be pot is better, cocaine the best if you want maxed player efficiency". :wink:
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    All of the above.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

I never spend time or money learning rumors from inns anymore--powergamer--but I had mead once in rela life and it was the best drink I've ever had.

Funny, because I'd played the games through several times, and read about a lot of the quests beforehand on Gamefaqs before ever bothering with the drinks at the inn. Now, it's something I'm more wont to do, for flavor's sake.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited September 2016

I never spend time or money learning rumors from inns anymore--powergamer--but I had mead once in rela life and it was the best drink I've ever had.

Funny, because I'd played the games through several times, and read about a lot of the quests beforehand on Gamefaqs before ever bothering with the drinks at the inn. Now, it's something I'm more wont to do, for flavor's sake.
    I'd played the games through several times, not having an internet connection, so without even knowing that there where guides and boards, not talking of YT let's play. And almost without learning rumors from inns. The only quest that I didn't be able to find and complete was the twisted rune, and only because I sold every time the item that grants access to the door, that was discovered without much effort.
    In my experience, completely unspoiled for so many runs, drinking at the inns is ONLY a flavor thing. And if you don't use, or even don't know the possibility of, easy money tactics, a waste of precious money. In a game where a typo let you believe that 50k GP are needed to buy the licence, instead of the 5k needed, and your goal is to find other 20K to save your companion, no clue in chap 2 that is also your sister. you have to pay also for the equipment you buy, as some of the best items can not be looted.
    As I was not spoiled I did try, as in the original hints are given when you reload or wait for areas to load, and one of those hints is about inns and useful information that you can get there.
    I did try and then my opinion was "they are just kidding".
    Now, just for flavor, I often buy some drinks before resting, but I don't even loose time to read the rumors, and not because I am completely spoiled about the game, my opinion about their usefulness was formed when I was not so.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I love my ale, so it's always my first choice. But I love it all to be frank and I don't discriminate any liquid species. Hell, I've even like mixing it up! Like drinking champagne/beer/spirits-drinks etc. A great bartender and spirit-slinger can create little liquid miracles, but unfortunately, they are often expensive as hell.

Not really, but me and a friend had a MP session in NVN some ten years ago or so. I consumed a pretty hefty amount of whisky IRL and my character of that time, a dwarf fighter, was 'influenced' by this and became more and more messed up. In the end he started all conversations with an axe to the head. Made it quite difficult for my charismatic elf friend to converse with whomever we came across since he attacked everything and anything he saw.

Also, about good drinking songs, this one take's the pole position!
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=e7kJRGPgvRQ
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I did a noreload in bgee with a drunk barbarian. Thing is that I died after mulahey because the violet? Red? Potion reduced health to nothing and while he killed mulahey, the next guy (skeleton? Kobold?) Did him in.
    Was a very fun run and I had many more plan during the run (like drinking the murky potion from the mines).

I sort of played the quests by following the tavern rumours. It was glorious ;).
    @Skatan That is too funny. Did your friend get annoyed, or roll with it? I've never played BG after drinking but I did completely bork a game of Civilization 2 one time. I came home from the pubs at 2:00am and was struck by inspiration. I grabbed more beer, booted up what was a peaceful, empire-building game and proceeded to attack every other empire simultaneously. I played for 3 or 4 hours before stumbling to bed. I woke up the next day to discover that my game was a complete quagmire.

@lroumen I admire your bravery at drinking random, murky potions.