Skip to content

Cynical is not smart

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
"In fact, it usually betrays a limited intelligence."

Discuss.

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    It might be considered cynical, but I rarely take orders from people who feel they can give them.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    "It's easy to sound sage being negative." -Douglas Feith

You could complain that Douglas Feith was one of the supporters of the Iraq War, but the quote is quite true.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    B****cks. In fact, what you're suggesting is borderline insulting. Cynicism is as valid a viewpoint as any other.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited September 2016

"It's easy to sound sage being negative." -Douglas Feith

You could complain that Douglas Feith was one of the supporters of the Iraq War, but the quote is quite true.

I do say this....and he wasn't just a supporter, he was an architect.

As for the cynicism....I'm living in a country where 45% of the voting population is going to pull the lever for a fascist con-man, and we'll likely only narrowly avoid the disaster by the skin of our teeth. Which essentially means that half the people I'm interacting with on a daily basis are blithering idiots or so blinded by their racism, xenophobia etc that facts and reality don't matter anymore. Cynicism is the only way to stay sane.

I also agree with Belgarath. Much of the fear instilled in people that causes them to act this way is because they are afraid of dying. It's totally natural, I'm afraid of dying too. But then I think to something Roger Ebert wrote not long before he passed. He mentioned that he was perfectly content before he was born, and that he imagined death as the exact same, and that there was nothing on the other side to fear. Wise statements, though the idea of "nothingness" terrifies me, even though I know that's what awaits me and everyone. But I won't feel it, because I will no longer exist. It's a weird thought process. Suffice to say, being afraid of dying is no reason to make other people miserable and destroy the lives of people who are different than you so you feel better in the moment, and that is the main root cause of suffering on this planet.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @jjstraka34: True that.

But I would like to point out that Trump received the nomination at a very special time--when the Republican Party as a whole was (and still is) struggling to find a coherent voice, and virtually every other candidate was either repulsive (Ted Cruz) or at least uninteresting (Jeb Bush) to most Americans. Trump wasn't competing against the best America had to offer.

And once the party did very grudgingly grant him the nomination, Trump received a massive boost--as the Republican nominee, he is simply the default option for many Americans. Though many conservative voices despise him, others are trying to prop him up. Fox portrays Trump very positively, of course, and many folks use Fox as their primary news source. Not everybody sees the same things in Trump that you and I do.

And much of people's affection for Trump is not for who he is--it's for who he is not. He's not a normal politician, and I can't think of a period of our history when normal politicians were less popular. He's not Hillary Clinton, and after decades of scrutiny and multiple investigations, conservative pundits have successfully made her out to be, in the eyes of many people, a Nixonian she-beast of some sort.

45% of Americans aren't bigots or maniacs or idiots. They just believe that Trump--based on what they see and hear about him--is a better choice than Clinton.

You're using a very common and very unfortunate assumption that I see in many places in politics: "I support this because I am in favor of X. They oppose this; therefore they must be against X." In this case: "I oppose Trump because I am against bigotry. They support Trump; therefore they must be in favor of bigotry."

More often, they are simply in favor of Y, and X is just not on their radar. This isn't the only controversy like that. A lot of pro-choice folks say that pro-life people are anti-women, and a lot of pro-life folks say that pro-choice people are anti-Christian. Feminist? Anti-man. MRA? Anti-woman. And on it goes.

I've heard Trump supporters say that they honestly don't like his bigotry. They don't like those things he says. They support him for other reasons--they view him as a successful business, they view him as an outsider, and they view him as tough. I believe he's none of those things, but for his supporters, THOSE are some of the big reasons they like him. Bigotry is a part of it--but only a part.

Polls say 45% of voters say they'd vote for Trump. But polls also say over 60% of Americans dislike him.

And for what it's worth, people developed that impression of Trump pretty quickly, and they did it by listening to his own words. No spin, no interpretation--just him. But Clinton's unfavorability ratings took a long, long time to develop.

Half of our countrymen are not mini Trumps. There's more to this nation than the contest between Hillary and Donald.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I actually do believe that 45% of Americans are either bigots, maniacs or idiots. I also believe that they like Trump for EXACTLY what he is. They like that he talks like they think. Trump being a total asshole isn't a bug to them, it's the feature. The point is, if you are supporting Trump because you don't like Hillary, you are unreachable.

As for Hillary.....she is far, far from perfect (I myself was a Bernie supporter). But most of the public's feelings on Hillary Clinton are simply the cumulative effect of 30 years of constant, brutal attacks and propaganda. She's been subjected to the full wrath of the right-wing media apparatus in this country for 3 decades, and the fact that she is even still standing, that she's been a First Lady, Senator, Secretary of State, and on the cusp of being the first female President (while shouldering the burden of being the only bulwark against an honest to god fascist) is impossible not to be impressed by.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I'm not a big fan of cynicism. That sword is kind of annoying.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    "Trust but verify."

Or to put it another way,

"In Gods we trust. All others pay cash."

I think there is nothing wrong at all with being skeptical. There are enough examples of people out there that are out to get whatever they want regardless of what it does to others.

Being cynical is a form of skepticism and "Can" be taking things too far. So it is a fine line.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    cynicism is a key part of science and discovery. The opposite of ignorance is a willingness and need to learn.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2016
    The opposites of cynicism are gullibility and fanaticism.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    edited September 2016
    I think you mean realistic, @BelgarathMTH , not cynical. Cynical is thinking that something doesn't exist only because you can't perceive it - and putting that on a T-shirt.

Post edited by chimeric on
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    If skeptical when needed then it may be smart but yeah, not the cynical. :p
    Cynical is just bitter tastes.
    I'm glad that works for you. However, now that you're out of those cracks and achieved a stable base, I'm sure you will allow that there is a lot that the two of us can't confirm with controlled testing, but which nonetheless exists. I don't mean bullshit, and there is a lot of bullshit; however, a guy in a suit on TV who has sold his soul to get on TV and is now writing a book about how to sell your soul thinks he knows all there is to know about life, and I decline to give him credit even, and especially, if he makes it to the New York Times Bestsellers list.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    That sounds a bit cynical
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited October 2016
    @chimeric , I get the feeling that when you brought up cynicism as a subject for discussion, you may have been thinking about something more along the lines of the hipster or goth forms of cynicism, where the person espousing it is often trying to be accepted by a subculture that has its own values, and publicly advertises those values through wearing certain styles of appearance and enforcing certain kinds of cynical attitudes and expressions among their insiders.

To outsiders, people who buy into hipster and goth subcultures can appear rather phony, or even ridiculous, as though they were putting on airs and seeing themselves as superior to people who are content to be part of the mainstream.

Sometimes "cynical" just means "hardened by life." That's the most common use of the word as I understand it.

I took your use of the word "cynicism" to mean something that is more personal to me. It's a pretty broad term. So you might attract discussion that was more what you wanted if you could give some more specific examples of what you're getting at.

EDIT: Would the main character in "Catcher in the Rye" perhaps be the classic literary example of an extreme cynic? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catcher_in_the_Rye

Dictionary definition:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cynical

According to the dictionary definition, it looks like the best synonym would be "distrustful". Looks like it can also mean "extremely selfish".
    I think he may have been looking for "sarcastic"

What a brilliantly researched topic
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    What I want to know is what the OP''s true agenda is in raising the topic.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is cynicism.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    edited October 2016
    As to OP statement - in most cases, probably not a show-case of limited intelligence, I would think.

I am partial to darker shades of humour, whatever that is: sordonic, cynical or ironic I suppose. But not only, and do not obviously insist on it with friends whom do not like that style. Dark humour can be very justly cutting and analytical, at best. To qualify a little more: delightfully subversive humour does not generally punch down.

I tend to assume that "per default" cynical attitude acts as a defensive mechanism, as sort of an insurance againts disappointments of admitting to hope for the better. If it is just a casual way of someone being disagreeable, then of course I do not persist on the acquintance.

Unfortunately, cynical actions in politics and corprorate world tend to be common-place and often advantageous. I am not saying that someone stupid could never be opportunistic and tactically cunning, but it seems intelligence would help to be succesful in it.

Cynicism as a coping mechanism to deep personal disappointment or shock is pretty humane, I find, and probably helpful as long as one shifts gears, and does not get stuck.

I don't mind cynicism particularly as a circumstantial attitude or a passing mood - but I think it has its time and place, and limitations.

Edit: amended my first paragraph to make sure it is explicit I am not in direct agreement with OP statement. Realised original wording could have taken both ways.
    Cynical just means not believing in goodness or truth of humanity, in that such things ever exist. It does not mean skeptical, rational, independent, ironic, sarcastic - although cynical people all think themselves such... My question, therefore, was about whether that disbelief really comes down to an incapacity for perceiving subtler things and causes beyond the obvious. It's probably a self-imposed stupidity, judging by the faces of those who profess it.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I am not convinced that he has an agenda, but from the definition given the OP was clearly taught something other than the conventional meaning of Cynicism. And given the use of "or truth of humanity", I suspect that there is a bias against anyone who is cynical.

For me, being skeptical of something that is as yet unproven is merely good sense. I believe that humanity CAN be positive and uplifting, helpful and generous. However, assuming that someone will selflessly be aware of YOUR circumstance and will act against their own nature simply to help YOU out is a bit if a stretch.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    chimeric said:

truth of humanity

Would you care to define what this truth is?
    Sounds like cultist programming lol
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    Myself and some of my colleagues have become what I would consider cynical in our work-lives in recent times due to various reasons. We were hashing this out over beers last Friday evening and one guy said something that resonated with all of us.

He basically said that all of us as a group are skeptical, but also somewhat idealists. As we have been over time disappointed in our leadership and various strategies, we have lost belief and become instead cynical. But in fact we are striving to find something to believe in - the original ideal - but are driven to cynical thinking because we cannot find what we are looking for. We do not want to be cynical, but are nonetheless driven to cynicism as a coping mechanism.