Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    @Victor_Creed_SFV Wait what's Imoen's wand?
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609

@Victor_Creed_SFV Wait what's Imoen's wand?

I meant the wand of magic missiles she has at the start of the game. ;)

Did some minor quests including a successful melicamp (does having full reaction thru 18 IN and WIS give you 100% success here?) and am now at level 3/2/3.
    The F/M/C's versatility at low level is pretty insane, because you start with really high hp (32 with familiar), Sanctuary is level 1 and ofc you can pick up all free wands including the super op monster summoning and paralyzation and use them with armor on.
    edited November 2017
    Purifier +4 2d4+4+4ce
    DoEH +3 1d6+4
    Carsomyr +6 1d12+6+6ce

Dual Wield Purifier +4, DoEH, Improved Haste, Critical Strike

(92-184)+48ce dmg per round +20 DR

Carsonmyr +6, Gww

(70-180)+60ce dmg per round +30 MR and ability to strike through Absolute Immunity

So they do similar damage difference being 20 DR to 30 MR and better strikes. Of course there's also the guestion which to upgrade, Carsomyr or Purifier. Choices, choices...

What's people's views if I should waste one HLA to power attack and get couple Critical Strikes? Also how many Hardiness should I take, as one Hardiness will only last 1,7 Turns. Boss fights in mind?

Critical Strike is only good on LoB if you cqan combine it with instakill stuff like Harm, otherwise GWW will give you more especially on 2h weapons.
    I always take 2 Hardiness just in case.

So they do similar damage difference being 20 DR to 30 MR and better strikes. Of course there's also the guestion which to upgrade, Carsomyr or Purifier. Choices, choices...

I personally prefer Purifier, but it depends on your build really, but if I factor in you being a paladin with GWW (I often use Purifier with weird thief combos, which are mostly EE-keeper test builds) Carsomyr might be the better option.
    Keep in mind if you use Equalizer in Offhand the boni against evil creatures also apply to your mainhand so Carsomyr's main advantage is not the damage but the dispel on hit.
    edited November 2017
    @Victor_Creed_SFV

That offhand to mainhand bonus is something to consider also. Why I'm considering putting in couple critical strikes is because that way I can get 88 DR with dual wielding DoEH, Helmet of Dumathoin, AoF, Hardiness and still deal good damage. Which effectively means I can take 1825 dmg before dying, and every Superior Healing potion will give 333 hp.
    edited November 2017

Also don't forget rod of resurrection for full heals, since you can recharge at vendors.

Wait what? Never had considered this, it's basically Durlag's Goblet? So effectively I can take 36k dmg with 88 DR and 2 Rod of Resurrections before dying. :D

Why aren't you gonna use Hardiness with GWW? Am I missing something?
    edited November 2017
    @semiticgod But doesn't Carsomyr need only one hit on Stoneskin, Mirror Image to dispel them all?

@Arctodus That's good info thanks. Btw where can I find Amelyssans stats?
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    Near Infinity is your best bet, but @Harpagornis usually have them on hand. I don't have access to them now. Sorry.
    edited November 2017
    I can't seem to find Amelyssan searching with NearInfinity, and also aren't those only the base stats, before mods and LoB altering them?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @histamiini: PFMW will block Carsomyr, and PFMW becomes increasingly common later in the game, especially with SCS.

You can find Melissan's stats at the Throne of Bhaal by checking her .cre file, whose code is FINMEL.cre. (CTRL-F will let you search for a critter by name, which in this case is Melissan rather than Amelyssan).

As for LoB stats: yes, Near Infinity does not list LoB stats because those stats aren't stored in .cre files; they're calculated via formulas. Just add +1 to APR, +5 to saving throws and THAC0, +12 to all levels, and multiply HP by 3 and add 80, and you'll have any critter's LoB stats.
    edited November 2017
    @semiticgod Thanks. According that file she has "only" 75 DR.

Also I've noticed that Plate of Balduran and Pride of Legion both claim to have -5/-4/-4 modifiers, but stats window shows -4/-3/-3 for both. And this isn't helped for the fact that wikia claims the -5/-4/-4 for Pride of Legion and -4/-3/-3 for Plate of Balduran. So how in earth can one know which is supposed to be correct without asking a developer? :D
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @histamiini: Stats window tells the truth, along with Near Infinity; they're the real numbers. Don't trust descriptions if you want to know the exact numbers of everything; they're just strings written by fallible humans, about those numbers.

Plate mail only has -3 to AC vs. slashing, but for all suits of full plate mail, -4/-3/-3 vs. missile/piercing/slashing should be standard.

@Victor_Creed_SFV I don't think you need to risk for a Heroism Potion. In SoD alone there's at least 31 for sale by Belegarm, Bellowgulp, Crusader Priest Polvi, Sorcerous Sundries and Thirrim.

Aw, good to know I'll not risk again then, still haven't decided what class I'll restart with.
    edited November 2017
    @Victor_Creed_SFV Have you tried Blade? Currently thinking starting no-reload simultaneously with Sir Vanderley.

@Victor_Creed_SFV Have you tried Blade? Currently thinking starting no-reload simultaneously with Sir Vanderley.

I've tried Blade when SoD and LoB came out, since I still had my save from years back where I played all the way thru SCS Insane until ToB with a blade.

Wasn't impressed at all by the blades performance on LoB, because defensive spin is pretty useless now and with the changes to bard's song I think that Skald is just much better than blade, since you can self buff with bard song now.
    Specifically for the Big B fight Blade might be better because of offensive Spin and having more than 1 pip in Two Weapon style (+2 Thac0).
    But generally I felt having +2 Thac0 and damage from Skalds Song which has unlimited uses and having +1 each from the skalds kit to be the better trade.
    I have to admit tho that I always played Blade for def spin, which lost it's viability due to LoB for the most part. (Fights last too long for the limited uses one has in it and enemies Thac0 and APR are higher, crits still hurt, especially since bards have no helmet.

Having no helmet is a killer on LoB for any class, one of the main reasons I don't like Sorcerer in BG1 LoB.
    Yeah that's true actually, that -5 Thac0 takes half of Blade's edge away, clad you said it so I don't have to suffer it.
    I just tried out the skald and the skald song takes way too long to actually apply to the skald, for kiting it would be alright, but for close quarter fights like Big B you can't use it at all.
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    @Victor_Creed_SFV, have you adjusted your game file so your ranger cleric will get access to level 4+ Druid spells?