Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,448
    edited November 2017
    So I was going through my Bag of Holding and saw this thing called Staff of Command. It's casts Domination with no save and has 21 charges. Isn't that like the most powerful item in the game, or am I missing something here? Can you recharge it with a merchant?
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    So many options, so many decisions. However: Thanks @semiticgod for the detailed informations! ;)

I wont consider the WoL trick as it has the taste of borderline cheating. The bottleneck for any Priest of Tyr Dual Combo would be SoD and especially Avernus. The rest - if you dont walk into traps like an idiot - should be no "big deal". :D

P.S. Would the Control Circlets work in the final fight against the Big Five or are they all immune to charm? Never tested it! :D
    edited November 2017
    Thanks. @semiticgod and @Grond0

We'll see @Harpagornis I have two of those Circlets left so they might become handy. Tested SoC on Saladrex as I forgot fight it for Staff of Ram, but dragons are immune to charm apparently. Anyway kited his haste, when it ended put on DoEH, Hardiness, AoF and tanked him down. Got the help of Shadow Thieves and Order of the Radiant Heart against Bodhi. Funny thing happened in the OotRH hall, if you remember when I escaped those Mindflayers in sewers? One of them spawned inside the hall and I had to dispose it because nobody else didn't care about it. They're still trying to get their revenge. :D
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    Priest/Mage is disturbingly op in BG2 and definitely much better than dualing into fighter, but as @Harpagornis said, for a priest SoD is definitely the bottleneck, any combo even true class masters anything after it with ease.
    edited November 2017
    Is there an AC cap? I've been doing some end game calculations and I can have -29 AC (-14 Slashing, -13 Piercing/Missiles) with:

-10Base Big Metal Unit (-14 Slashing, -13 Piercing Missile)
    -4 Dex Base
    -2 2x Dex Potions
    -5 Shield Of The Order
    -2 Ring of Gaxx
    -1 Helmet of Balduran
    -1 DoEH
    -3 Warder's Signet
    -1 Cloak of the Sewers

Also is there a reason not to use the Big Metal Unit, as it doesn't affect items, divine casting nor hla's?
    edited November 2017
    @Grond0 Thanks, in other words item based AC cap is -20, and modifiers etc. are on top of that. Which means for example, that I can get -40 against slashing using Big Metal Unit and 25 Dex. If I'm also using helmet that protects from critical hits, is there anything in the game that can actually hurt me with slashing?

I'm looking Amelyssan with NearInfinity and it says her Thac0 is -7, is this a base or effective Thac0? If it's a base with 19 strenght and LoB that would make her effective Thac0 -15, which then would mean that she can't touch me.
    Post edited by histamiini on
    How are you going to get -40 AC against slashing @histamiini?

-26 AC with max Dex Bonus: Okay! -28 AC with Single Weapon Spec: Right!

With regard to slashing damage Su´kka my Barbarian got: -4 AC from BMU & -3 AC from Girdle. What else?

As i did not put points into single weapon spec she had -33 AC against slashing when fighting Amelyssan. As her THAC0 is -20 she needed to roll 13+ to land a hit. NearInfinity is wrong @histamiini! ;)
    edited November 2017
    @Harpagornis Damn you of crushing Sir Vanderley's dreams. My Big Metal Unit description says -14 vs slashing but ofcourse it's wrong. Is it my install or is there a lot of items with wrong descriptions? I've seen at least 5 already.

Also how can I find Amelyssan's true stats for example? I take it that Ascension changes those?
    edited November 2017
    I cant open BG2 atm but maybe someone else can give you the stats @histamiini. Dont worry. I am sure Sir Vanderley will find a way through to upcoming horrors. He seems much better prepared than my blindly stumbling Barbarian! :D

I am infested with the infamous Clerictitis. LOL. After crushing through the rest of BG1 with Xaghul the Dwarfen Fighter/Cleric we parked him at the start of SoA. But dont worry: Another Cleric ia already on the run! The even more infamous Cleric/Thief joins the party in form of Brakko the ferocious Half-Orc. No trap-death this time!! :D

The start was very smooth:

Kite Shoal down -> Grab Drizzts equip -> Buy Scrolls of "Stone to Flesh" & PfP -> Get Algernons Cloak -> Use Sanctuary to charm Lesser Basilisk (4 tries this time) -> perform the Basilisk-XP-Loop -> gather Ring of Free Action from Dushai (25 tries only) -> used gold to get reputation back to 12 (yeah, i am lazy) -> did the usual reputation quests

As Sanctuary is a really great sneaking tool Brakko decided to push "Find Traps" & "Open Locks" first with "Set Trap" following. Only a handful of uneventful ambushes so far. Even 10 Bandit Archers were unable to get in a single hit (thanks Girdle of Piercing!). Time to visit Mulahey and get his fine ring. ;)
    edited November 2017
    @Harpagornis Perhaps... :#

Btw how can you get the Golden Girdle if you're not a mage?
    edited November 2017
    No Mage, no Girdle! I was doing this setup just for testing Big Mel - forgot about that "problem"! :D

P.S. Mulahey got charmed and feeded to the Kobolds while the Skels obliterated Greywolf & Nimbul in the meantime...
    edited November 2017
    Lmao that was easy, I simply walked to Bodhi's sanctum Turning Undead and stepping on rats. Everybody exploded and I think every named vampire got turned, except Bodhi. Bodhi instakilled me everytime I got near her though, how did she do that and is there a way to protect yourself? I simply let Deva and my Twin take her down.
    edited November 2017
    Hhmmmm...i always engaged her with PfU only so no instakilling. Her brother should be no big deal - no? :D

Brakko moved on. Meilum got skeletarized, as well as Bassilus. With Gloves and Hammer +2 things are looking much nicer now. He skipped the headhunter ambushes by just running to the map edge and traveled to Beregost. Tranzig had no chance against the Skels so the Bandit Camp was not far away anymore. Brakko used PfL and Sanctuary to get in and out unseen as well as unharmed - its really too cool that Sanctuary does not break when looting stuff. Taurgosz was charmed on the eighth try and feeded to the Bandits. With some nice stuff and a band new Full Plate Armor the Cloakwood will be his next target. Amulets and Rings are charged for battle.

Lets go! ;)
    edited November 2017
    @Harpagornis We certainly hope so. :#

Sir Vanderley absolutely blew through Suldanesselar. Tanked Adamantine Golems with Hardiness, AoF and DoEH. Waited Raamilat's 4x PfMW and Absolute Immunity to end and meleed him down. Tanked Nizidramanii'yts with Deva, Simul, Hardiness, AoF, DoEH and Gww. Freed the temple from the evil by taking a soul, outside heal, inside taking a soul and so on. The last Balor was quickly mincemeat with 100 FR and Gww.

Next up some bloke.

Lmao that was easy, I simply walked to Bodhi's sanctum Turning Undead and stepping on rats. Everybody exploded and I think every named vampire got turned, except Bodhi. Bodhi instakilled me everytime I got near her though, how did she do that and is there a way to protect yourself? I simply let Deva and my Twin take her down.

Tactics Bodhi lowers your Con the same way flayers lower IN.
    In my SCS install all named vamps do the same but to much lower effect than Bodhi, so you only notice if you check stats during a fight.
    edited November 2017
    @Victor_Creed_SFV Yeah that must be it, I noticed the Con drain put didn't assosiate them to the death.

First, or is it second battle with Irenicus was something from kids play. Played hide&seek with him, waiting his summons, 4xPfMW, Absolute Immunity to end, at one point all of his demons were battling themselves and Nabassu was attacking Irenicus. With last chance saloon Irenicus tried wishing Djinni some help, poor soul, but I put him down with single Gww.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRWDRP04d5c

On hell we march.
    Post edited by histamiini on
    edited November 2017
    So I read that Restored Bhaalspawn Powers of Ascension mod gives permanent 25DR if you take the right choice? With this, AoF, DoEH, HoD and Hardiness I would've 113 DR. Am I correct of assuming that getting hit will then actually heal me? I'm dreaming again I know...
    They doesnt stack as far as i know - at least it did not work with my Barbarian... ;)

So I read that Restored Bhaalspawn Powers of Ascension mod gives permanent 25DR if you take the right choice? With this, AoF, DoEH, HoD and Hardiness I would've 113 DR. Am I correct of assuming that getting hit will then actually heal me? I'm dreaming again I know...

Physical defenses stop at 100% pposed to magical capping at 127.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    You get the evil Ascension powers if you're rude to the Solar in your dialogue options. You don't need to have low reputation or an evil alignment to get them.

The evil powers tend to be more useful and they tend to be focused more on strengthening the main character; the good powers are more about supporting the party. A solo character should probably always be rude to the Solar.
    Brakko is storming through all obstacles like an avalanche...

Drasus and friends? Charmed and feeded...
    Davaeorn and guards? Burned into the ground and feeded to the Skels...
    Ironthrone? Sneaked and skipped...
    Candlekeep? Sanctuary and Trap disarming...
    Slythe? Skels...
    Cythandria? Skels again...
    Palace Ambush? Traps, Sling, Wand of Heaven and - well - more Skels...

With nearly all equipment gathered its only Durlags Goblet and Sarevok himself left. At the moment it feels like my old routine is coming back. Or maybe its just the most fitting Thief class that makes everything feeling really easy. But stop. No overconfidence - not again. Instead: Focus - destroy! :D

If Brakko keeps going like this he will catch Sir Vanderley in no time. Beware @histamiini! :D
    edited November 2017
    Bhaalspawn Powers Good/Evil

Mass Healing/Regeneration (18hpr round/2 levels)
    Draw Upon Holy Might/Dark Taint (save vs death)
    Permanent Negative Plane Protection + 5MR/Hand Of Murder (12 dmg/heal per round, 6 rounds)
    Resurrection/Permanent 25DR

I think in Solo LoB the only "good" evil choice is the 25DR. Regeneration is only like one RoR hit, where as Mass Healing can heal 6 summons, Dark Taint is mostly going to be saved and Hand Of Murder isn't going to do much either. That 5MR can almost close the 100MR cap for Cavalier.