Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited December 2017
    I also tried Charm Person but the chances were really low @Grond0. Same for Hold Monsters. Angelo is no big deal as he cannot hit the spirit summons but hasted Sarevok kills everything in no time and without haste on MC he catches me in no time. This one is a really tough nut especially when using no-reload. Any ideas on this one @semiticgod? ;)

I tested Korlasz dungeon just for fun and a Greater Fire Elemental plus three Spirit Lions together with the Flaming Fist were able to beat the first group of undead. After that Krell could just sneak through to Korlasz calling in Spirit Wolves and a Fire Elemental while timing Insect Swarm so that it hit right after she went hostile. Worked like a charm. I think with his summons i could beat everything in SoD up to Big B which would be - pretty much like Sarevok - another neverending nightmare. Damn, damn, damn it!!! :D
    edited December 2017
    Okay, i did some testing. Dispel Magic at level 10 most of the time puts Sarevoks Haste away - at least one of the four will do the job. With Spirit Lions and healing backup from the Nymphs you can now play hit and run. The Spirit Lion who is targeted by Sarevok will run around while the other one keeps on hitting. All it needs is just some micromanagement. Other option is to use the MC as target with two Lions hunting Sarevok. In my test i managed to kill Sarevok before the Lions vanished again even though both were hurt quite badly. So this part works... ;)

The main problem is to take out all of his friends before saving the Spirit Lions as long as possible. And avoid dying! :D
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320

I also tried Charm Person but the chances were really low @Grond0. Same for Hold Monsters. Angelo is no big deal as he cannot hit the spirit summons but hasted Sarevok kills everything in no time and without haste on MC he catches me in no time. This one is a really tough nut especially when using no-reload. Any ideas on this one @semiticgod? ;)

The problem is that you're just so short on damaging resources. That's why I think you need to get the enemies fighting among themselves. Charm person won't work on anyone I suspect due to its +3 modifier, but hold monster has a -2 modifier so there is some sort of chance there. Nymph domination I think has no modifier, so if it was possible to get Diarmid on your side with that things would look slightly more rosy.

I'm surprised you were being successful with dispel magic. In LoB that would be expected to have virtually no chance of success as Sarevok is so much higher level than you.
    Thinking about it, one possibility might be to use dispel magic on the dais to get rid of the invisibility on Sarevok's friends. If you then sent summons in to attack using farsight there's at least the possibility they won't fight back - might be something to test out. If successful that would indicate the fight has not officially started (so you should be able to nip outside and rest).
    edited December 2017
    Tested Dispel Magic several rounds shooting it out of vision on Sarevok. For whatever reason he always lost his Haste which made the following battle a lot easier!

@Grond0: Dispel Magic + Farsight indeed works!!! The problem is: If you kill Semaj or Tazok Sarevok will trigger the talking but Diarmid and Angelo will NOT appear. Which also means: Sarevok is immortal.

The trick is: Hack Tazok and Semaj down to nearly dead (maybe using CTRL+M) and only then trigger the talking. Angelo and Diarmid will port in but the others are still close to death.

When now charming Diarmid he will take down Tazok in no time. Another option: Cast Insect Swarm on one of the bats in front of them to take them out and only then charm Diarmid. Which would mean: Only Angelo is left.

But as we all know: Angelo will easily die to the Spirit Summons. Which means only Sarevok would be left...

Time for more tests! :D
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Dispel Magic works on Sarevok because his haste is potion-based and therefore counts as a level 10 spell.

In my install, he has a permanent haste ring that can't be dispelled.
    edited December 2017
    Those

That was a hell of a fight and one that slowly turned from "impossible" to "still hard but somehow manageable". There are many things that can go wrong and without "some" luck it can be over really fast. Doing this in a no-reload-run would be a nerve-racking thriller.

Its also clear that without summons and the nice spell collection Krell would have failed forever here - which shows again how powerful the Totemic Druid is for this challenge. SoD will be another story even though i am quite sure that he can beat everything up to Avernus. Big B himself feels untouchable at the moment - even more than Sarevok before. Should i give it a try? Maybe... ;)

Those boundaries keep getting pushed back - does nothing stop this boy >:)? I'm not sure why you think Belhifet will be so bad - surely there must be some way to harm him?
    If we're going with reloads, there's always Magic Resistance and Harm.
    edited December 2017
    It gets better and better: Farsight is NOT needed against Sarevok. Why?

Cause after dispelling Tazoks and Semajs invisibility you can just walk along the eastern part so you can see both of them but NOT Sarevok. This means: Another Nymph summon and even more time for Diarmid to shoot at Sarevok.

With some luck you can also extend Mental Domination a bit more when delaying the casting of at least one Nymph - just let it stay back a bit so it wont get targeted first. More time, more damage.

You can also cast two times Animal Summoning I and split them on Semaj and Tazok. This will save one Spirit Lion which could be used against Sarevok later. The downside is that you need good rolls especially on Tazok to lower his HP far enough before the summons vanish again (3 turns is not always enough). It will also mean that only two Nymphs will be present for charming Diarmid. With reloads this doesnt matter but in a no-reload-setting this path seems a little bit unreliable.

Yeah, you are right @Grond0 and @semiticgod. With reloads its theoretically possible to get in Magic Resistance, land Harm and not getting feared in between even though it will take dozens of reloads. :D

As Krell has already beaten Korlasz i think that i will let him roll a bit more - no? ;)

EDIT: Okay, there seems to be an even better way. Instead of Pixie Dust you can memorize Animal Summoning II. These summons hit hard enough to bring Semaj and Tazok close to zero before vanishing again. This puts us back to four Nymphs but we lack invisibility. To get around this i moved in to Diarmid from all sides so that one of them will soak up their attention while the other three get out Mental Domination on Diarmid. Pixie Dust makes things easier but seems not to be essential. This also means that the first Spirit Lion will still be around when Diarmid dies so hunting down Sarevok should be much easier...
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    Have you tried resting after engaging Tazok and Semaj? I assume that's possible, but don't know whether the temple is counted as the same area as the Undercity for HP recovery purposes. If it is they would only recover 100 HPs, which would make it easy to finish them off with animals.
    Yeah, that would be great @Grond0 but after one rest both are at full health again. Would be too easy no? :D
    edited December 2017
    Fighting Big B with no-items-at-all looks totally impossible for Totemic Druid after trying it around twenty times.

Each time Krell gets feared even before Magic Resistance is out. The problem: His Save vs Wands is only at 9. Take in Big B´s malus (was it -3?) the chances of getting feared during the whole process is quite high. Not to forget: The Bone Fiend also uses Cloak of Fear which drops chances more. Plus the Demons are constantly using Hold Person on him (Domination is blocked by Chaotic Commands). Even if Harm can somehow be casted Krell would still need to roll a 20 landing it AND get in a little bit more damage afterwards (Spirit Summon?). How many reloads would be needed here? Thousand? More? :D
    edited December 2017
    I started another poverty-run with Thorgrim the Dwarven Cleric of Thalos as Totemic Druid was getting a little bit boring. After playing him for quite a while now the only real threats in BG1 are the Ogre Ambush at Candlekeep and Sarevok himself. I absorted SoD as the Spirit Summons still proved to be OP there. Combined with his Casting Power even the Crusader Attacks were not a big deal - get in Fire Elementals + Spirit Summons + Nymphs + Insect Swarms and watch them suffer... :D

However: My question to @Grond0 regarding the rules of poverty runs: Is it allowed to use gold buying quest items (Firebeads book) or help others (Farmer Brun)?

Overconfidence is no life assurance and so the first thing i had to learn with my Cleric of Thalos: Storm Shield is not fast enough when meeting Bandit Archers. Damn it! :D

However: My question to @Grond0 regarding the rules of poverty runs: Is it allowed to use gold buying quest items (Firebeads book) or help others (Farmer Brun)?

Your rules are up to, you know, you ...

My version of poverty is rather stricter than the original poverty challenge @semiticgod referred to. In summary:
    - you can't pay for any items or services, but you can pay for quests.
    - you can't use or equip anything (except magically created weapons such as MMMs, ghoul touch etc).
    Thus I couldn't pay for a book for Firebead (but there is one of those in the house immediately south of him anyway). You could, however, pay for the quest for Farmer Brun (if you don't allow that sort of thing you would be forced to make a rules exception to allow you to pay the 15,000 gold required in BG2).
    @Harpagornis: Dating back to the original Insane Solo Poverty challenge for BG2, gold can be spent on quests. But like @Grond0 said, you can set your own rules for the challenge; @Grond0 and I both use slightly different rules.

@Grond0: What about magically created weapons like non-SR Fire Seeds or SR's Enchanted Weapon, items that can be given to other party members? Are Goodberries acceptable?
    @semiticgod I haven't used either of those to date, but in principle I wouldn't have a problem with them. I wouldn't though allow things which are created permanently, e.g. by Wish or using glitches.
    edited December 2017
    Okay thanks for your thoughts @Grond0 and @semiticgod - i think that i will use a compromise:

- Gold for quests: Yes!
    - Gold for items or services: No!
    - Items only if they are temporary created by spells like Flame Blade, Shillelag and so on. Goodberries are acceptable too.
    - Equipping items - if not essential for the main quest: No! Exception: Shapeshifting Tokens for Druids as they are innate abilities.

P.S. I have tested the fight against Big B a little bit more after failing hard with Totemic Druid. So far i think that the one and only class that - maybe - can beat Big B in a poverty run using our rule setting is the Berserker -> Druid. Rage keeps him immune to Charm, Paralyzation and Fear while Protection from Fire and Lightning negates elemental attacks. With Iron Skin up, good timing and a universe filled with luck this char can at least bring Big B down to 1 HP. So far i was able to cast Magic Resistance + Harm but - you know it - i failed landing it. But that is just a matter of time. My only question would be: How to land the killing blow?
    All my plans are in vein...

1. Caelar Argent dies mostly too fast before the whole Magic Resistance + Harm combo goes through
    2. Even if it works there seems to be no way getting in the killing blow on Big B

Caelar can hit Big B but keeping her alive is (nearly) impossible. My idea using Dolorous Decay does not work as Big B doesnt die even if he fails his save. Calling in a Fire Elemental seems to be no option either as the casting time is far too long.

My only hope would be the Hamatula and a perfectly triggered Barbed Defense. Can anyone explain me how this skill works? Sure it triggers when the Hamatula gets hit but i have watched Big B getting damaged too (one time he also got killed by it). How was that possible? Maybe @semiticgod can give me an answer? What about you @Ardanis? ;)

Thanks for any ideas how to finish Big B with my poverty Berserker/Druid! ;)
    @Harpagornis: I'm considering an Archer(7)->Mage run in this challenge so I can get STR drain kills with Called Shot in ToB, but I'm conflicted on whether I should play with or without SR and IR.

With SR and IR, I can use a very important Imprisonment strategy against Ascension Melissan: since Imprisonment uses the Maze opcode, you can just vanish four of the Five and Melissan won't cast Freedom to bring them back. I don't know if I can handle the sheer pressure in that fight without SR Imprisonment; the numbers are just absurd. SR/IR will also allow me to score an easy kill on Belhifet with Fire Shield and Mestil's Acid Sheath. Finally, IR introduces Arrows of Detonation to BG2, and while the arrows are limited, I could use them for area-effect STR drain kills. IR cripples crossbows, but the Enchanted Weapon glitch could let my Archer Mage use the Scorcher Ammunition at full APR.

But SR and IR also prevents me from using the basilisk XP loop (petrification is replaced by a permanent hold effect) and nerfs Improved Haste so that it no longer doubles APR. My simulacrum clone would have 5 APR at best, which means only Energy Blades+Improved Alacrity (to cast Called Shot twice in the same round) or Time Stop could kill critters with unusually high STR values. Plus, IR cripples Arrows of Dispelling and SI: Abjuration becomes Dispelling Screen, which vanishes after absorbing a single Dispel Magic spell.

I don't know how I could survive early BG1, the invasion of the Coalition Camp, or the siege of Dragonspear Castle with SR/IR, but I also don't know how I could kill Belhifet and Melissan without SR/IR.
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for the detailed informations @semiticgod. Thats really strange cause in my observations Big B got hit by Barbed Defense even though he was NOT casting any spell (he never uses Fire spells against me thanks to resistances). Thats really strange...

With regard to the killing chance of Harm: It does not get STR bonus therefore my Druids need to roll a 20 to land the spell. Thats only 5%. Not to forget the Magic Resistance that can still block it.

As Harm alone is not enough to win the fight, Fire Elementals cannot be summoned in, Fire Seed cant touch Big B and Barbed Defense is totally unreliable the chances of success for Berserker/Druids seem to be somewhere close to 0 - no? :D

Regarding SR/IR @semiticgod: Personally i dont like/use both of them as they push the game too far away from its origin and that somehow doesnt feel right for this challenge. But at the end its up to you. ;)

Early BG1 should be no big deal as there are lot of easy quests while Korax can deal with the Baslisks on its own. If everything fails you can still farm Ankhegs. :D

Coalition Camp with Archer/Mage should be a joke. Really. Use precast Web and Arrows of Detonation (and Dispelling) to blow them away. It wont get easier.

Big B should no big deal either as long as you are good with hit & run. Just make sure to get 100+ Invisibilty Potions.

Mel is another story but as you have seen even Bounty Hunters or Cavaliers can do it. Shouldnt the Mage be on its own powerlevel at this stage? I am sure you can create a decent plan - even without SR/IR! ;)

P.S. Too bad there is no way to combine Berserker + Totemic Druid. This one would rule "everything"... B)

P.P.S. Or we can put in another rule like "against final boss enemies the gods let you pick a single divine item of your choice" o:)
    Is insect plague an option in your installation?
    Yeah @Grond0 that was part of the plan i was thinking of: If Caelar and/or the Greater Fire Elemental are still up after Big B was harmonized the best option for the Druid himself is to throw in Insect Plague. As the Demons - for whatever reason - target Caelar or summons first your chances are good enough to give it a try - despite its long casting time.

However: With this tactic Big B will fall sooner or later - its just a matter of reloads! :D

Therefore i started a new incarnation of Krell in BG1 cause i want to see if Berserker/Druid can beat BG1 as well. If this is the case i will try to push him as far as possible into SoA. I dont bother doing this under no-reload-restrictions for the moment cause the final fights alone are just too luck based. Thats something for the future... B)

My question now is: How far should i push the Berserker? Level 6 would be dreamland as the Druid can still reach level 10 but i cannot see how to regain Druid levels after doing all the easy stuff. Any ideas?
    Well, if you think it's a problem, you could leave a number of quest rewards not done. Once you've got charm person available at L3 it should be possible to do quite a few additional encounters with a bit of patience - nymphs obviously will then make things much easier at L7.

If you can see how to get XP I would be inclined to go for berserker L7. That would make the Sarevok fight a bit harder, but should make most other encounters easier.

From my limited experience of the SoD opening dungeon I suspect you would also struggle there even if you get past Sarevok.
    edited December 2017
    Level 7 would hurt a lot against Sarevok @Grond0. Yeah, Charm might help the Druid at early levels but its duration is rather short for LoB. And what does the Berserker offer more than 4 HP bonus per level and a second rage at level 6?

The Undead in Korlasz dungeon would be painful - yes! But i have found a way around. Only precondition: You have to start SoD with at least 193375 XP so after Porios talking you will reach level 10 to summon one Fire Elemental. As in most cases my Berserker/Druids had around 220k+ XP chances are high that you wil hit level 10 right at the start. Once you moved downstairs the following path had put me through so far:

1. Call in four Nymphs and a Fire Elemental (immune to most weapons!)
    2. Use the summons as bait so the Undead will target them first and lure them to the Flaming Fist
    3. Now you just have to wait until - hopefully - all undead have selected a target. Cast Pixie Dust.
    4. Switch to fast running bear and try to slip through. As the Undead tend to block the corridor this can be really tricky. Sometimes you just have to wait until some summons (or Flaming Fists) have gone down.
    5. Sneak through enemy lines, use the door mechanism and rest just outside of Korlasz vision (does not always work!)
    6. Call in a Greater Fire Elemental and cast Insect Swarm on it
    7. Right before impact trigger the talking with Korlasz. Now Insect Swarm will constantly damage and interrupt her while the Fire Elemental is immune to all weapons!
    8. Immediately retreat a bit and cast Pixie Dust so even if some undead follow they cannot attack you (if Bonebats try to attack you remember that they will get blocked by own troops easily so you should have no big problems avoiding them)
    9. Try to block the running path of Korlasz so your Fire Elemental will have an easier time catching her
    10. Wait until Korlasz drops to "Injured" and talk to her so the surrender triggers. Try to time the talking so that only a minimum of Followers can target you cause sometimes it happens that they will shoot one more time which might result in a painful death.
    11. Once you have survived its time to move on to the city once more - job done!

The whole process will most likely need a lot of reloads as in some cases you just cannot slip through the undead or some latecomers target you and immediately follow (which will make casting Pixie Dust really tricky). Sometimes the Dispelling Trap triggers so early that even with bear speed the followers discovered me, sometimes resting will not work, sometimes the talking triggered so late that Insect Swarm was just gone before they turned hostile. Another time the Fire Elemental was blocked by the Followers so it had to kill several of them before catching up Korlasz and more than one time i got killed after Korlasz surrendered as several followers continued shooting. At the end its just a matter of reloads, luck and a lot of patience... ;)
    Post edited by Harpagornis on

Level 7 would hurt a lot against Sarevok @Grond0. Yeah, Charm might help the Druid at early levels but its duration is rather short for LoB. And what does the Berserker offer more than 4 HP bonus per level and a second rage at level 6?

I was thinking of the extra APR and THAC0 - that should help significantly when tanking with ironskins, but if you're intending to rely purely on summons I agree that's less of an issue.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited December 2017
    Interesting reading this thread was in my holidays, my fingers are also itching to get back into the game again. One thing has been bugging me, why is it called a "poverty run"? Shouldn't it be called a "spellcaster run" as it plays for the strenght of spellcasters? The opposite would be "silenced run", which would play to other skills? Lets add also no talking besides main plot, as using no money besides quests.