Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Grond0: So, to clarify, would this work?

1. Summon Nymph
    2. Charm Guard with Nymph
    3. Use Guard to lure Battle Horrors northeast
    4. Kill Battle Horrors while keeping the Guard alive (maybe put him in a corner so he doesn't go hostile or attack you?)
    5. Re-charm the Guard (rest if necessary)
    6. Cast Farsight on Davaeorn
    7. Order Guard to kill Davaeorn

And all the while, you couldn't ever let any summoned critter or party member anywhere near Davaeorn?
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited December 2017
    Looks like leveling up the Sorcerer is easier than Druid - at least until level 7 is reached and Nymphs are available! ;)

I also tried to send in the charmed guard @Grond0 once the Battle Horrors were gone - but: No! Davaeorn again goes hostile and turns invisible even though he had never seen Krell. Strange... :D

Holy cow! The Dopplegangers were really tough. At least when using Nymphs as they resisted any CC. Switching to Animal Summoning II was the key here as the Bears can tank them for quite a while. Candlekeep is getting close - lets see how Raged Bear works here! ;)

EDIT: The Candlekeep Ogre Ambush was quite easy for Krell. Thanks to Bear speed and Rage he could run through without problems soaking up only some Magic Missiles. Easy! :D

EDIT2: Finished Candlekeep by just sneaking through enemy lines. No need to bother with them as level 10 was reached! ;)
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,441
    edited December 2017
    Hmm, Five just committed a suicide by attacking Gorion, must have been a defective model...

In truth I just figured out something, max Thac0 for F/M is -6/-4 (Cavalier and Fighter -9/-7) vs Bel. But F/M/C can actually have better -7/-5 Thac0 with Enchanted Weapon and sequencing Bless and Aid as both give -1 to hit and they stack.
    edited December 2017

Hmm, Five just committed a suicide by attacking Gorion, must have been a defective model...

LOOOL! B)

@Grond0: I'm looking at Davaeorn's script in my install and it looks like he's rigged so that he goes hostile after spotting any player-friendly critter, including charmed enemies. See the lines in bold:

IF
    !Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)
    OR(14)
    AttackedBy([GOODCUTOFF.0.0.0.0.SUMMONED],DEFAULT)
    AttackedBy([PC],DEFAULT)
    AttackedBy([FAMILIAR],DEFAULT)
    AttackedBy([ALLY],DEFAULT)
    AttackedBy([CONTROLLED],DEFAULT)
    AttackedBy([CHARMED],DEFAULT)

SpellCastOnMeRES("",[GOODCUTOFF.0.0.0.0.SUMMONED])
    SpellCastOnMe([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_BLINDNESS) // SPWI106.SPL (Obscuring Mist)
    SpellCastOnMe([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_FEEBLEMIND) // SPWI509.SPL (Feeblemind)
    SpellCastOnMe([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_CHARM_PERSON) // SPWI104.SPL (Charm Person)
    SpellCastOnMe([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_DIRE_CHARM) // SPWI316.SPL (Dire Charm)
    SpellCastOnMe([GOODCUTOFF],CLERIC_CHARM_PERSON) // SPPR204.SPL (Charm Person or Animal)
    SpellCastOnMe([GOODCUTOFF],CLERIC_MENTAL_DOMINATION) // SPPR405.SPL (Mental Domination)
    SpellCastOnMe([GOODCUTOFF],WIZARD_RAY_OF_ENFEEBLEMENT) // SPWI221.SPL (Ray of Enfeeblement)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    Enemy()
    Continue()
    END

IF
    Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)
    OR(12)
    AttackedBy([GOODCUTOFF.0.0.0.0.SUMMONED],DEFAULT)
    AttackedBy([PC],DEFAULT)
    AttackedBy([FAMILIAR],DEFAULT)
    AttackedBy([ALLY],DEFAULT)
    AttackedBy([CONTROLLED],DEFAULT)
    AttackedBy([CHARMED],DEFAULT)

SpellCastOnMeRES("",[GOODCUTOFF.0.0.0.0.SUMMONED])
    SpellCastOnMeRES("",[PC])
    SpellCastOnMeRES("",[FAMILIAR])
    SpellCastOnMeRES("",[ALLY])
    SpellCastOnMeRES("",[CONTROLLED])
    SpellCastOnMeRES("",[CHARMED])
    !GlobalTimerNotExpired("whatthe","LOCALS")
    !See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobalTimer("whatthe","LOCALS",TWO_ROUNDS)
    Continue()
    END

Are you playing with v2.5?
    Oh dear... things for Krell are getting really tricky now!

Slythe: Called in three Nymphs and two Bears while Krell used True Seeing and Iron Skin for defense. The goal was to lure Slythe to the Bears, heal them up first so the Nymph casting wont get canceled by invisibility potion and then try to paralyze him with Hold Monsters. This worked after one fail-retreat so the evil assassin got punched down hard by triple Bear power!

Palace Ambush: This one was... painful. Without reloads Krells run would have ended here as the Dopplegangers can take out the Dukes and Guards in no time. Four Nymphs were called in to use them as decoys and - very important - for some very precious mass healing. At the very start Krell used four Dispel Magic to get rid of Haste and each time the result was different. With some luck nearly all of them got dispelled - like in the last try - followed by Insect Swarms. Here it was very important to time them right so the Mage got hit as well (you know he is running around like crazy). In between Krell tried to rush in with Bear form getting in one or two hits only before the Dopplegangers turned on him. Too bad Insect Swarm wasnt enough so the Mage finally started his spellcasting. Krell had to backup and hide avoiding any damage. On the last try everything worked fine: Except for two all Dopplegangers got dispelled, both Insect Swarms hit all of them while the Bear Form critted several times for some nice damage (two points in single weapon spec!). Krell also managed to avoid any spells so at the end only the Mage, two guards, Belt and Liia were left. With Haste (and Stone Skin) still up the Mage managed to kill both guards and started hacking on Belt who was already down to badly injured. Krell played hit & run while also trying to get the attention once Belt dropped to nearly dead - like the Mage. Now it was all about dice luck. Some seconds later Krell managed to land a mighty 28 damage crit followed by another 13 damage hit from Belt who took the Doppleganger down. Krell quickly lured Belt away from Sarevok - otherwise his evil brother might have killed both Dukes easily. Liia - who was already nearly dead - got instantly killed while Belt surived with 25 HP only. That was a close one. Not to mention the number of reloads. :D

This leaves only Sarevok open. Lets hope Krell will find a way through the upcoming horrors... ;)
    I just realized that an Archer fighter couldn't use the basilisk XP loop safely. You'd need spare Potions of Invisibility and/or Potions of Mirrored Eyes to avoid getting petrified by the Lesser Basilisk, and the chance of charming a Lesser Basilisk with Algernon's Cloak is 35%. How many Potions of Mirrored Eyes and Potions of Invisibility can you get without much risk?

Is there a safe way of collecting gold for potions and Stone to Flesh scrolls in the early game? Anything better than ankhegs?
    @Grond0: Is there a specific path to use when kiting Shoal? A wolf wandered into my way and killed my Charname; it wasn't possible to outrun the wolf and shoot Shoal at the same time.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    I've rolled up Bas, an illusionist/thief, to see how far she can get at level 1 - my initial thoughts are this should be far easier than the poverty challenge.

With only a pearl on offer from Shoal, Bas went straight to Beregost to pick up Algernon's Cloak. She's then moved down to the Valley of the Tombs to get a wand of monster summoning. The combination of those should be sufficient to deal with pretty much everything prior to Sarevok. Here's her record and inventory after charming Meilum.

Why not using Thalantyrs invisibility @semiticgod? ;)

Do you mean the ring at Ulgoth's Beard? That's an extremely expensive resource and if money was tight you wouldn't want to be using that routinely for attempted charms.
    edited December 2017
    @Grond0: No i mean charming Thalantyr with Algernons Cloak, rest to refresh it and then let him cast invisibility on you.

I have done this several times with my Fighters - works great even though some rest-repetitions might be needed.
    edited December 2017
    @Harpagornis You know Clerics and I'm rolling F/M/C, which should I take, Flails or War Hammers (vs. Bel)?
    edited December 2017
    @histamiini Problem with Flails is: There is no +3 weapon available and Martyrs Morningstar will not work anymore in 2.5 - except you intend to use Enchanted Weapon. But i dont know if it will last long enough or how many casts you can get. Ask our Mage-Pros! :D

The Sundermaul +3 Hammer is nice and with Knock you can easily open the chest. Its pretty cool when Earthquake triggers and the whole screen takes damage - maybe even knocking several enemies down! :D
    @Harpagornis Enchanted Weapon will last 45 rounds with F/M/C vs Bel, should be enough. The Critical effect should work with Enchancted Weapon even in 2.5? I think I'll start with * in both Flails and War Hammers, and decide it later.

Drat. Bas had pushed reputation up to 20 (getting a second familiar killed in the process when Vax hit with another big critical, causing morale failure, and then got another blow in) and then completed her shopping. With most intended encounters in the City done she went in search of the wisdom tome, but died to Jalantha in the process when I thought she was casting hold person, but it turned out to be domination ...
    edited December 2017
    What do you guys think about using a Mod that enables dual-classing into kits? Does this make the challenge too easy? I am thinking about using this one only for a potential no-reload poverty run using Berserker -> Totemic Druid but - damn it - it just feels like i am cheating. :D
    edited December 2017
    @Harpagornis Mage2->Dwarven Defender with 293 hp, yes please. But where do you stop, I want to multi Cavalier. :)
    Rolled Six, Half-Elf Fighter/Mage/Cleric nr.

Added Spell Slots to the tables:

Fighter/Mage/Thief

Fighter/Mage/Cleric

Fighter/Mage

Fighter/Illusionist

Illusionist/Thief

edited December 2017
    I think that at the end its up to the player - like always. :D

We might allow dual classing into kit for no-reload and/or poverty but not for the basic challenge. On the good side it would bring a fresh, new breeze into the challenge. On the bad side it would make the challenges "a bit" easier.

But to be honest: I think that finishing the whole saga Solo + LoB + SCS + no-Reload and/or Poverty would be a huge achievement in any case - even when allowing dual classing into kits. No? ;)
    Damn Six is already having suicidal thoughts. Realized that I can't have bows for Crusader Attacks, damn. Did you ever take Cleric through the attacks? @Harpagornis
    edited December 2017
    Nope @histamiini! :D

But the Mage will put you through: Wand of Fireball + heavy CC like Web + endless summons.

The best: You can cast Web right before the Crusaders attack which will - if i remember correctly - even prevent the Mages from using their protections. Skeletons are also very strong and can hold the ground for quite some time. ;)

EDIT: Put in Greater Malison and watch them suffer even more!!
    edited December 2017
    At the moment Krell is failing hard against Sarevok. Sometimes i manage to get everything in perfect order with only the evil brother left - but then its over cause the Animal Summons are just not powerful enough to take him down. They either miss too often or - even worse - just vanish after 30 rounds (unlike Spirit Summons who remain for 60 rounds!). This is really bad news.

Will have to test this more... :D