Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited December 2017
    Very cool @Grond0! I think Sorcerers are made for this challenge - lets see how far you can push him! ;)

You are right @histamiini: Spellcasters are just superior for this kind of challenge. My Berserker was only doing no-fighting quests but i decided that getting to level 3 is enough before switching to Druid. Level 7 will be reached soon - hopefully. More details later! ;)
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Well Fael has made it past the Bandit Camp. I didn't fancy my chances of surviving the lightning trap at level 8, so did a lot more work to get a final level. With no charm or summons sirines looked a touch risky, so most of the required XP was gained from a thorough cleansing of the ankheg area.

L9 spells taken included mirror image and that successfully prevented any damage being taken from the lightning trap.
    Best of luck @histamiini. You could consider using Otiluke's in your sequencer if you're planning to stand and fight - that will give you some free damage before you have try and finish things off.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,440
    edited December 2017
    @Grond0 I thought about it, but I think it goes against the melee tanking tactic, as I've 10 minutes from bottom of the elevator to when PfM ends. Cavalier did it about 9 minutes and he did more damage than Fighter/Illusionist. I think I'll go with

Minor Sequence at top of elevator with Blur and Resist Fear so I don't have to use Kiel's Helmet.
    Spell Sequence when Bel dispels with Protection from Evil, Fireshield Blue and Stoneskin.

I have still some planning to do, like checking alignments and other stats with Near Infinity to maximise damage output. It's nice that you can sleep in hell without ever being disturbed. :D
    I think that Fighter/Mage should be in a good position against Big B even though there are always things that might go wrong! ;)

However: Good luck @histamiini! Not to forget: In Avernus i usually get ambushed by lesser demons when resting. Strange! :D
    edited December 2017
    I tested the fight against Sarevok a little bit more with Druids and i think there are some more - pretty cool - options:

Doom + Charm Person on Semaj (this might take some tries). Once he got charmed let him cast Skull Trap on Diarmids spawning point (which is random - too bad Angelo is immune thanks to Globe). Rest and repeat (as he is invisible again Dispel Magic first) until 15+ Skull Traps are out - this will either kill Diarmid or at least put him close to death as his PfM is not precast! Make sure to take out some Bats first as they can trigger the traps. Important: This will need many rests and/or reloads and is very time consuming! :D

You can also use Semajs Monster Summoning III to bring Tazok close to zero. Too bad that Semajs charm breaks when the talking with Sarevok triggered otherwise this would be another easy kill. Therefore: Animal or Monster Summoning to bring Semaj down to zero too.

This means only Angelo and Sarevok will be left. When Semajs Globe is down it is possible charm him with Mental Domination (Save vs Spell 6,) so he could have some fun with Sarevok.

With reloads its also possible to let two Nymphs dominate Diarmid (who can hurt Sarevok quite good) and two Nymphs for Angelo. If this works (say hello reloads!) the Druid will be in a even better position to bring down Sarevok. Hopefully! :D

EDIT: Damn it @Grond0! But why not putting the no-reload-restriction away to get deeper insight on the really tough fights? ;)
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    edited December 2017
    As Sirenes have proven to be difficult enemies (the Nymphs cannot target them!) Krell decided to finally farm some Ankhegs. Together with three Nymphs he paralyzed the beasts and burned them down with Call Lightning and some Bear punchning - just take a look:

With Pixie Dust now available its finally time to start the main quest. Mulahey is waiting! :D

EDIT: Mulahey went down like a sack of potatoes as the Nymphs held him with Hold Monster before he could call his summons! :D

EDIT2: Tranzig like always resisted all CC´s but Krell managed to avoid all spells and charm his wolves to give him a good punching!

EDIT3: Bandit Camp was more tricky! Thanks to Iron Skin + Protection from Lightning + Barksin + Rage + Bear Form + two decoy Nymphs outside + Pixie Dust Krell sneaked into the tent and grabbed the documents to rush out as fast as possible afterwards. Even though Iron Skin dropped, poison triggered and his HP went down to 41 HP he ran into the woods to heal up via rest. Job done!
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
    edited December 2017
    Four vs. Bel round by round

0 PfM
    1 Violet Potion
    2 Fortitude
    3 Agility
    4-5 2 Mind Focusing
    6-10 5 Heroism
    11 Speed
    Go
    12-14 3 Heroism
    14-23 First Mob + 4 Heroism
    23-35 Second Mob + 3 Power
    35-48 Third Mob + 7 Power
    49 Speed
    50 Resist Fear + Blur sequencer

So that leaves 491/522 hp and about 5 minutes to deal with Bel, shouldn't take more than 2, and I'll enjoy smacking him around. :) Started the fight with Protection from Evil, Fireshield Blue and Stoneskin sequencer, and tanked Bel like a champion without even using goblet. But...

if something can go wrong, computer surely makes it go wrong, and Bel just randomly decided to start teleporting away and leaving me crowded and needing to fight my way out. I always got just few hits until Bel again teleported away. Now this became a fight against the time, as 5 minutes was beginning to close up, my buffs started to fade and Goblet was nearing its bottom. Got Bel to near death, but surely enough Resist Fear ended, I didn't notice it as I was concentrating on PfM and that was it. Damn. :#

Why was Bel teleporting away constantly from melee range? It never happened when I tested it with Cavalier, need to test this out.

edited December 2017
    Cavalier couldn't lose but suddenly I can't win the battle, Bel keeps teleporting away. And not only that I get diseased through "Foul Poison" or something which kills my Thac0. Cavalier was immune to poison so I had no clue about this either.

EDIT: learned that you can actually use scrolls through PfM so I protected against poison, but it's "Foul Disease" that hits me. Never had this either...
    Damn it @histamiini. As we have stated earilier the Cavalier is in a very strong position against Big B thanks to his immunities and bonus hit/damage. The only one who would come close in melee combat would be the Ranger with Racial Enemy.

The disease is really nasty - too bad you were not aware of it. But with regard to Big B: In my installation he is also teleporting away from time to time even when engaging him hard in close combat. It looks like a random trigger that ports him back to the eastern section. Sometimes he uses it to call in more demons sometimes he is just reengaging.
    edited December 2017
    @Harpagornis Yeah Cavalier is made for Belhifet, I wonder why it didn't get diseased? And it wasn't Fear that killed me, but Stun from Cornugon which never happened to me either... So now I've to add Greenstone Amulet to the evergrowing list of buffs.
    edited December 2017
    Oh yeah @histamiini thats something that have killed me too in the past. Cornugons are not to be taken easy!! You get a good feeling how dangerous the demons around Big B really are when playing a poverty run. If you do not buff up with spells they will throw so many things at you its really crazy. There are:

- Hold Person
    - Charm Person
    - Domination
    - Lightning Bolt
    - Produce Fire
    - Cornugon Stun
    - Aura of Fear
    - Poison Attack

Not to forget all the different Arrows that the Erinyes will shoot at you. When looking at all this CC/damage you can imagine that (nearly) all classes will face a neverending nightmare in a poverty challenge. My Totemic Druid for instance not only got feared constantly - sometimes he was just paralyzed. Or the Cornugons used Lightning Bolts (forgot to buff up). Or the Abishai burned me down with their Fire ability. Not to speak of Big B himself. :D
    edited December 2017
    Ok found the tactic against Bel's teleporting, just drink invisibility potion and the crowd disperses so you can find Bel again. Won the battle using 9 invisibility potions and PfM still on, but I think it was close because my Power Potions had faded away. So the list of things I used vs. Bel

PfM
    Violet Potion
    Fortitude
    Agility
    2 Mind Focusing
    Speed
    12 Heroism (you can probably drink close to 30 in the lift, more the better)
    10 Power
    Resist Fear + Blur sequencer
    PfP
    Speed
    4 Greenstone Amulet
    PfE + Fireshield Blue + Stoneskin sequencer
    9 Invisibility
    12 Durlag's Goblet
    :D

That should cover the fight in no-reload form for any fighter in melee. I think I'll revert to reload playthrough now and probably take Four through the SoA also.

edited December 2017
    Yeah, Invisibility will make them scatter @histamiini so you can slip out again. With your setup Fighter classes can tank down Big B for quite some time - even without the Mage part.

Playing on is always an option! Dont you think that the F/M will get a bit boring when looking at his endless power potential? ;)
    @Harpagornis Could be, but I'm too tired of the grinding in BG1 atm, and it will give me some insights how to deal stuff being mage when Five eventually enters, hopefully to SoA. :)
    edited December 2017

Bear in mind that Cornugons have Human as their racial enemy, so their THAC0 against a human Charname would be -2 in LoB mode.

The Cornugons' attack has a 50% chance of dealing 1 slashing damage (not poison) per round for 6 rounds with no save and a 50% chance of stunning for 12 seconds on a failed save vs. death.

Hmm, Cavalier has better save vs. death than F/I Gnome so that probably helped back then, and I might have also used Potion of Invulnerability which would've made me immune to it. Now it could have protected me possibly also from the disease... There's always something to miss.

edited December 2017
    @Harpagornis I've to admit that this challenge has been a bag of fun, even as much that it's probably really hard to ever return to normal party playthrough for me. That will probably require some new content from Beamdog to ever happen again. Evolving the challenge also keeps things interesting so thanks to everybody introducing them, as it keeps you enjoying the game over and over again. Not currently interested in the poverty run, but that might change eventually, I wasn't interested in no-reload either at the beginning.

I was thinking of continuing the SoA and got my 34 hp familiar ready, when some strange emptiness hit me, and it was the lure of no-reload. :D So I have to roll Five later today.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Looks like a fully buffed Fighter/Mage/Cleric with Fire Shield: Blue would take down Belhifet in 42 rounds assuming a THAC0 of -2 (I've seen that number from Potions of Power) or 57 rounds with a THAC0 of 1. It's not within the 40-round duration of Potions of Power, so it would need to take a break at some point to run around and re-drink another round of potions.

As for an Archer/Mage dual-class, it won't be remotely capable of dealing with Belhifet in melee (with only one pip in melee weapons at most, its damage output will be terrible), but it can deal 15 per round on average and kill him in 74 rounds, and it should have the power to take down the other demons and keep Belhifet isolated: dual-classed at level 8, it would have -5 THAC0, 4 APR, and deal 13.5 damage per hit with +1 arrows (saving +2 arrows for Belhifet).

Problem is, if I abide by the XP caps, the Archer/Mage will be stuck at mage level 5 until SoD: I need to dual-class at level 8 to get a second Called Shot, which takes 125,000 XP and leaves 36,000 available before SoD, just shy of level 6. @Harpagornis, do you think a level 5 mage could handle BG1 and the first dungeon of SoD? Would a level 8 Archer (fighter, not ranger) be better suited? I'll be playing with EET, so I can go back to Mutamin's Garden in SoD and restart the basilisk XP loop if necessary.

I know how powerful wands are, but I'm concerned about the cost of recharging them. I don't want to end up farming ankhegs just to keep all our wands charged. How many charges might I need to deal with the mandatory fights of BG1?

Either character should be fine for BG2, as long as I have a couple castings of Called Shot (unless I use the WoL trick with Called Shot, in which case a single one will pretty much end the game). Both characters have a quick kill option for bosses: the Fighter/Mage/Cleric will have Critical Strike+Harm/Martyr's Morningstar and the Archer/Mage will have Called Shot+Called Shot+Improved Haste+Minute Meteors/Energy Blades/Scorcher Ammunition/Frag Grenades.
    Theoretically even a level 1 character can beat BG1 @semiticgod - at least with reloads. As i am not used to the Mage class @Grond0 might give you a more competent answer on the level 5 problem. ;)

You get called shot with an no-ranger-but-fighter Archer? What Mod is this? :D

Sorry i lack time - more later! ;)
    @semiticgod if you're not putting restrictions on the use of items I think either Archer or Mage should be able to do both BG1 and the opening dungeon of SoD without too much problem. You don't need to invest huge amounts of money in wands. About 30,000 would buy you fully charged wands of monster summoning and fire and that's considerably more than required for all the mandatory fights. For an archer you would want at least 2 fully charged necklaces (only 10,500) - ammunition would be rather more expensive than that on the assumption you want to take arrows of detonation forward from BG1.
    edited December 2017
    60x Arrows of Detonation will cost you 12060 gold (Rep 20, Cha 20), 50x Arrows of Dispelling 10050. Should be doable. ;)

Looking at Xahrks run i can agree with @Grond0 that fully charged wands are more than enough to complete BG1 and will last even in SoD for quite some time. Kiting works in most parts so if you got the patience there is no need for wands in SoD @semiticgod - except for the big fights.

Yeah, that looks like a decent battle plan @histamiini. Poor Big B gets smaller and smaller with every week. No? :D
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited December 2017

You get called shot with an no-ranger-but-fighter Archer? What Mod is this? :D

There are three mods you can use. First is the Generic Archer kit from Tactics; second is the Marksman kit from Might and Guile (among lots of other changes, but the changes are customizable); and third is my own Universal Archer Kit mod, which also extends the kit to paladins. Unless you install other stuff from Might and Guile that change the effects of Called Shot (no more STR drain!), all three mods give the exact same fighter kit. The only difference is the name: Generic Archer, Marksman, and Archer.

I once tried a no-reload Archer/Thief run of BG2 and ToB and restarted several times, but I gave up on the challenge after I got Mazed in ToB. I chose a thief because I wanted to use Jan's flashers with a WoL Called Shot to deal near-instant STR drain kills bypassing all immunities, but since an EE update rigged NPC-exclusive items to not work with UAI, flashers are no longer an option for an Archer/Thief.