Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Harpagornis, where did you get a Protection from Petrification green scroll for the basilisk XP loop? I don't see any on Thalantyr.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited January 2018
    Six is already parked at the gates of Temple of Bhaal. Started with collection run, couldn't use any of Drizzt stuff so I sold them for hefty sum right from the start. Killed Algernon and charm killed Dushai (50 tries) :o After getting few levels in Mutamin Garden and getting invisibility I went and charmed Mulahey. Lured bandit's to the bottom of the map without being invisible, which empties the tent for easier looting. Charmed the boss bandits for nice loot. Davaeorn took also like 30 tries of charming, this was one of those runs.

Slythe was dealed with hasted WoMS plus two Skelis, then when WoMS'n Krystin she got me with area effect panic, but I had learned to be invisible in all times against her which saved me. Dobbelganger mage charmed and parked to the strairs, rest, WoMS + 2 Skelis, and hasted everybody. Also made Liia invisible which was improvement to previous. Nevertheless only two guards survived barely. Waited mage to appear, then waisted his spells against WoMS and neverending WoMS eventually put him down. Liia spoke behind invisibility and Sarevok appeared, WoMS said hello and that was it. Charming the mage and putting Liia invisible makes this event pretty trivial, which basically makes whole BG1 LoB Solo challenge trivial for melee/magic characters, this was the only one where I had constantly problems. And I say that before killing Sarevok which is pretty bad omen. :D

EDIT: Also forgot that Wardens were again WoF'd onto move, follow them and when Love is somewhat separated lure him with ranged weapon, then WoMS his life out. ;)
    Post edited by histamiini on
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited January 2018
    Some little tales from Krells diary...

Greywolf getting held AND feared AND dominated in between - poor one! :D

Does anybody know what has happened here? I thought about a hidden easter egg and sacrificed a Nymph right in front of the bloody rocks - but - nothing happened. Too bad. However: In the NW i met Hafiz who gave me a PfM scroll after some talking - i never realized that you can get another one here!

Finally Krell ran into an archer ambush! 11 Hobgoblins tried to shoot him down but - thanks to the Earthmother - they failed so he managed to escape with 48 HP left. Phew!

So far Krell is still in XP farming mode to reach level for Pixie Dust, Iron Skin and Insect Swarm. Go, go go! :D

P.S. Keep going @histamiini - looks like a pretty smoot run so far! ;)
    edited January 2018
    @Harpagornis Yeah you can get 6 PfM and PfU before SoD. What's the easter egg? Never heard of that one.
    edited January 2018
    That phrase was not to be taken to seriously - it was just me daydreaming a little bit @histamiini! :D

6x PfU and PfM is like an overkill in SoD - no? ;)

However: Cleared the Zombies around Wenrics farm - time to kille some Akhegs...
    edited January 2018
    @Harpagornis :D

Well you only need like 2 PfM's, for Crusader Attacks and Bel, and 2 PfU's for SoD starter dungeon and Lich crypt. Last run was the only time I went beyond 2 PfM's, but its good backup to have and I still always collect all of them, because it doesn't take much effort. Maybe I should start thinking of some uses for them...
    edited January 2018
    @Harpagornis Well done, that SoB is tough for many characters without Arrows of Slaying.

Six used one invisibility to take Potros surrender, and one PfU and two invisibilities to reach Korlasz. Took almost a minute. Had to think how to deal her because no Dispel Arrows. Out of sight, Greater Malison, Dispel, and couple Silences silenced everyone, invisibility, surround with hasted WoMS and start the attack, she went down so fast that she couldn't even surrender. :D
    edited January 2018
    Chapter 8 So I'm thinking passing everything in SoD that doesn't help vs. Crusader Attacks or Bel and it's going quickly. Hasted three Skelis and two Dire Wolfs to help the Dwarves and they absolutely massacred the undead, also hasted Semaj, and none of my summons got killed. As always with invisibility gathered all the undead to the room and used PfU.

After killing the Sentry started spamming WoF, and if not all are there, you can lure more of them with WoMS. Two PfU's are definitely enough to deal the whole crypt without any risk, which is great way to get levels. Whole crypt netted 140k xp and got me to second last level already. This time I took no risks with Coldheart and used Secret Revealed and he got pwned. There's no point of saving this, as there are only one other Lich which it's needed. Invisibility behind the tent got me through the parley.
    edited January 2018
    Decided to still help vampire Tsolak for the Troll Iounstone, 4 hasted Skelis and 1 WoMS were able to do hunters in. Also sneaked Firefly without fighting.

Chapter 10. Didn't know that you can find Enchanted Weapon already in the Troll Cave, although you only need it against Bel. Btw @Harpagornis you know Martyr's Morningstar, wikia says critical doesn't count LoB bonus, say it isn't so? :)

Morentherene, no. Ziatar didn't activate so he and the mages got WoF'd with 22 strikes from distance. PoP, Greenstone Amulet, WoMS and melee did Neothelid in without problems. Akanna WoMS'd when I lured the servants away from her. Hit Last level of 8/9/8, and surrendered the fort. With 5 hasted Skelis I was able to kill the Crusader Mage before he summoned the Fire Elemental.

I would say SoD is also pretty trivial to the Crusader Attacks, 3xPfU, PfP, hasted summons, invisibility, max level, all the good items, only fight those you really need, no risk.

Btw why does it feel like the 5D Skelis are much better than 12D WoMS, or is that a collective 12D? What does the xD mean anyway?
    Good job @histamiini! You are right, the more you play SoD the easier it gets! ;)

The Wiki is wrong with regard to Martyrs Morningstar as it deals 170 damage per crit on Big B - like it should be!

Krell managed to take out Slythe with Bear, Lion and Nymphs and even Kristin - who rushed in early too - could not save her lover...

Palace Ambush will be next! ;)
    Krell faced the Palace ambush - what a fight...

Without items and precharming the Mage this one should be interesting. At least i thought so. Without Spirit Summons my Berserker/Druid had a very rough time here but thanks to one Bear and Lion (my dps-tank-combo) combined with three Nymphs in the backline Krell prepared the battlefield to his liking. Protected from Iron Skin he immediately casted Insect Swarm after the talking ended so he made sure that everyone would suffer - especially the Mage.

After that he quickly retreated (like always no one was targeting him) and watched the fight closely while always trying to avoid any contact with the fire shooting Mage. The Spirit Summons pushed the DPS a lot while the Nymphs kept the Dukes and guards at high health. Dispel Magic did not work this time and after Krell did one step too much the Mage managed to disrupt his second Insect Swarm. Damn it! Would this be the turning point against him? No, cause the Dopplegangers went down surprisingly fast and even though the Mage started his AoE casting Krell called in another Nymph for healing and let his bear & lion go for the hunt.

It was really funny to watch how the Mage desperatly tried to get rid of the spirit animals - but failed. The guards kept the sword spiders busy that have been called in by the Doppleganger - one minute later the last enemy went down. Krell quickly moved his summons around Sarevok while luring Belt away to the east. Thanks to this nearly perfect execution both Dukes survived (Belt only barely injured, Liia badly wounded) - time to face his evil brother one more time... ;)
    edited January 2018
    Chapter 10 This is a great chapter, lots of non risky gear collecting culminating to probably the hardest battle in BG1. Found Lower Resistance in Goblin Waylay, lured Myconids in Underground River to the Crusader mob to dispose, when I disposed the Shrieker. Zadroth was Secret Revelead for very important Robe of Aptitude. Freed the Slug for Hydra flail just in case. WoMS'd the first mob in the basement. Hasted 5 Skelis and because I Silenced the two other mages besides Heprenaan, this went better than ever before. Made my escape. I've now 37 Heroism potions and 10 Power potions which should give enough buffing for the to battles ahead.

Next up Crusader Attacks, checked the enemies and their saves vs. spells are 5-8. This is my Grande Plan.

Premade minor sequence, Web, Web for 7-10 saves.
    Premade spell sequence, Greater Malison, Web, Web, for 11-14 saves.
    5 hasted Skelis for backline only.
    PfM + PfP + buff to 300 hp.
    Soft Feet for immunity against Web.

- Trolls, hit with spell sequence, two Cloudkills scrolls, melee + 8 Fireballs.
    - Mages, hit the ground with minor sequence before hand, make sequence Greater Malison, Silence, Silence for 14-17 saves and hit with it. Two Cloudkills + melee + 8 Fireballs.
    - If I can, I have 17 Skull Trap scrolls to prepare for the fighters, which should give an average of 390 damage. Do you know @Harpagornis if this is possible?

EDIT: I can actually make another Minor Sequence from scrolls.
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, Skull Trap right before the Crusader Attacks works great @histamiini . As a Thief i was always trapping the spawning area(s) - which made every wave a lot easier! ;)
    Yeah tested it with my previous character, the first wave was done after 1st fireball which finished the trolls. :D
    Thats how i like it @histamiini - hot stuff! :D
    With Skels on your side the first dungeon in SoA will be easy going @histamiini. :D
    edited January 2018
    Krells third incarnation has just started his adventure and reached level 7 after Shoal -> Beregost -> Mutamins Garden.

The only shocking moment so far was the very last Basilisk who - in the moment he died - fired a final gaze at Krell even though he was out of vision. What? However: Krell rolled a 17 and survived. Phew!

A funny thing happened when fighting Firebead with two Spirit Lions and two Nymphs as the Mage managed to trap himself on top of the stairs in his house. Easy meat for the summons. :D

Time to go for questing and hunting Sirenes a bit while avoiding the main roads. A Bandit Archer ambush at this time would mean swift death for sure.

If i can keep concentration and dont get overconfident the only thing i am worrying about should be Sarevok. Well - should be.

We will see! B)
    edited January 2018
    Krell managed to create a Spirit Summon that lasted forever (even after resting) so he was able to clear the Sirenes with three Lions:

So far i have not been able to replicate it. Does anyone has a clue? ;)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I've occasionally seen Skeleton Warriors persist after resting, but that was completely random. Otherwise the only way to get a summons to last forever is to use CTRL-R on them.