Skip to content

Post your requests about the forum software here

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,722
edited November 2016 in Site Resources
Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen!

We've thought it may be a good idea to catch all the requests about the forum software (Vanilla) in one place, so that they could be brought to the devs' attention.

There're no promises, but still it's worth to gather the requests and see what can be done with them.

If you have ideas, post them in this thread.

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited November 2016
    Is there an ignore/follow plugin for Vanilla? Both functions would be very useful.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited November 2016
    I think my only real request would be bringing back some form of HTML formatting using styles. At the very least, it would be nice to get inline code elements as an option (i.e. possibly separate the rule between code and pre tags). Oh, and speaking of formatting, subscript and superscript would be nice.

@Troodon80 Subscripts and superscripts could easily be done via TeX tags: [TeX]x_2 + x^2[/TeX] for math and [TeX]\text{Troodon}_{80} + {80}^\textsf{Troodon}[/TeX] for text. Just saying.

Or, more realistically, <sup>Some Text</sup> and <sub>Some Text</sub> as per standard HTML.

html, body, div, span, applet, object, iframe, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, blockquote, pre, a, abbr, acronym, address, big, cite, code, del, dfn, em, font, img, ins, kbd, q, s, samp, small, strike, sub, sup, tt, var, dl, dt, dd, ol, ul, li, fieldset, form, label, legend, table, caption, tbody, tfoot, thead, tr, th, td { margin: 0; padding: 0; border: 0; outline: 0; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-size: 100%; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; }
    The problem for sub and sup is vertical-align: baseline;.
    @Dee also mentioned before about some form of dice roller functionality, too. Maybe with a tag such as <roll>2d6</roll>. The code then generates a random dice roll number, such as (2d6) 3+4=7, and the post is then saved to the SQL database minus the roll tag. On a forum for roleplaying games, it would seem like a good addition if at all possible. Not sure about the wider audience for Vanilla in general, though, so probably highly unlikely.
    edited November 2016
    Tresset said:

Other than that, just tell them to stop breaking everything!

No. Don't! It would lose its charm! It would be like a Bethesda game without graphic glitches!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,722
    Glad to see the requests coming.

I've managed to find two additional requests mentioned in other threads:

1. More poll options and a chance to edit them after the poll is posted.

2. Make this forum Tapatalk ready

Let's keep new requests coming till Monday, Nov, the 18th.
    Editing polls would be very useful. I think I had to delete two or three polls this year by OP request due to typos or because he/she wanted to add or modify something...
    edited November 2016

< sup > and < sub > let's you play with subscripts and superscripts, sure, but they won't let you give a subscript a subscript, for example:

I'm... not exactly sure where you're getting your information. In HTML, each nested <sup> or <sub> treats the parent as the baseline. So, for example, this:

sup>A<sup>B<sup>C<sup>D<sup>E<sup>F<sup>G<sup>H<sup>I<sup>J<sup>K<sup>L<sup>M<sup>N<sup>O<sup>P<sup>Q<sup>R<sup>S<sup>T<sup>U<sup>V<sup>W<sup>X<sup>Y<sup>Z</sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup>
    Will give you this:

Shandyr said:

^ I can see "Z", can you?

Sure... it's quite visible... in the source code...
    edited November 2016
    edited November 2016

Also, just to clear the air, this silly rivalry is just for fun, right? :open_mouth:

Almost everything I do on the forum is just for fun. :-)
    edited November 2016
    edited November 2016
    That's why I asked for the HTML style formatting that was removed by Vanilla a while back. The same effect can be done in HTML. The font size can be set for each sup or sub element to keep the size consistent, or a span/div can be used instead. :-)

<sup style="font-size: 3em;">A<sup>B<sup style="font-size: 1em;">C<sup style="font-size: 1em;">D<sup style="font-size: 1em;">E<sup style="font-size: 1em;">F<sup style="font-size: 1em;">G<sup style="font-size: 1em;">H<sup style="font-size: 1em;">I<sup style="font-size: 1em;">J<sup style="font-size: 1em;">K<sup style="font-size: 1em;">L<sup style="font-size: 1em;">M<sup style="font-size: 1em;">N<sup style="font-size: 1em;">O<sup style="font-size: 1em;">P<sup style="font-size: 1em;">Q<sup style="font-size: 1em;">R<sup style="font-size: 1em;">S<sup style="font-size: 1em;">T<sup style="font-size: 1em;">U<sup style="font-size: 1em;">V<sup style="font-size: 1em;">W<sup style="font-size: 1em;">X<sup style="font-size: 1em;">Y<sup style="font-size: 1em;">Z</sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup>

Or consistent same-size even for sup/sub elements:
    <sup style="font-size: 3em;">A<sup style="font-size: 1em;">B<sup style="font-size: 1em;">C<sup style="font-size: 1em;">D<sup style="font-size: 1em;">E<sup style="font-size: 1em;">F<sup style="font-size: 1em;">G<sup style="font-size: 1em;">H<sup style="font-size: 1em;">I<sup style="font-size: 1em;">J<sup style="font-size: 1em;">K<sup style="font-size: 1em;">L<sup style="font-size: 1em;">M<sup style="font-size: 1em;">N<sup style="font-size: 1em;">O<sup style="font-size: 1em;">P<sup style="font-size: 1em;">Q<sup style="font-size: 1em;">R<sup style="font-size: 1em;">S<sup style="font-size: 1em;">T<sup style="font-size: 1em;">U<sup style="font-size: 1em;">V<sup style="font-size: 1em;">W<sup style="font-size: 1em;">X<sup style="font-size: 1em;">Y<sup style="font-size: 1em;">Z</sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup></sup>

This discussion has been closed.