Skip to content

Getting sick of the Beamdog bashing in the wake of PST:EE

13»

Comments

• WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Well considering a majority of the positive reviews on Steam are even critical on the writing but I guess that was over looked. I wouldn't call a game with 73% rating amazing....

I own SoD and it sits uninstalled collecting digital dust...Money well spent...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Wesboi said:

Well considering a majority of the positive reviews on Steam are even critical on the writing but I guess that was over looked. I wouldn't call a game with 73% rating amazing....

The argument was that the reviews were "more positive". 73% is certainly positive.
    ThacoBell said:

Wesboi said:

The argument was that the reviews were "more positive". 73% is certainly positive.
    Those 300 positive posts still contained people complaining about the writing which is one of the main things I disliked.....we can't all be wrong.
    The one thing what I don't like about professional reviewers they are biased to a degree. I remember when frozen came out and it got panned by critics. It's not even aimed at critics it's aimed at kids and it got attacked for its so called homosexual agenda.

The best way to get a feel of a product is either via demos or paying out money for it. Unfortunately getting refunds for digital content is pretty much unattainable.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Wesboi said:

The one thing what I don't like about professional reviewers they are biased to a degree. I remember when frozen came out and it got panned by critics. It's not even aimed at critics it's aimed at kids and it got attacked for its so called homosexual agenda.

The best way to get a feel of a product is either via demos or paying out money for it. Unfortunately getting refunds for digital content is pretty much unattainable.

Well, the best movie critics have good things to say about MANY children's films, they just tend to like ones that don't treat kids like idiots and also have alot to offer for adults, since they are both going to be involved in watching them. "Frozen" was a perfectly decent film, I wouldn't have given it glowing reviews. There was a controversy about "Frozen" having a homosexual agenda?? If that's the case, it's further proof that if someone has hang-ups about gay people, they can find a homosexual agenda in pretty much anything. I remember when the Purple Teletubbie was supposedly trying to turn children gay.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Wesboi said:

ThacoBell said:

Wesboi said:

Those 300 positive posts still contained people complaining about the writing which is one of the main things I disliked.....we can't all be wrong.
    Well, yes we can. No one person is completely right. Every single argument on this forum (and anywhere for that matter) has flaws.

As far as being right or wrong about the writing, I really hesitate to label anyone's assessment as "truth" simply because this is a subjective judgment. I mean some people like it some people don't.

At least you make sensible arguments and willing to accept that others think the game is sub par while not going down the trolling path.

There is some parts of the game I liked like the art and music which I've stated before but some people focus on the easier negative areas to pick apart posts.
    Hopefully PST can set things on the right path. Something we all want to see.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Definitely want to see PST do well.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Skatan said:

I'm amazed and dumbstruck over the relentless need so many people seem to have to always, under any circumstances, express their opinions. it's like they actually believe that they are entitled to do this at all times, anywhere and everywhere. And also their view that those opinions, no matter how hatefully written, should be considered valid and be respected because "freedom of speech", and "it's only the internet, nothing written there mean anything for real".

On the one hand, they [b]are[/b] entitled to voice their opinions at any time on a public forum, even if those opinions are distasteful or demonstrably false. On the other hand, just because someone says something doesn't mean that everyone else has to agree upon the validity of what is being said. I can say things like "I like sardines in mustard sauce for lunch" and, although true, doesn't mean that a lot of people are going to agree with me or even like what I said ("how can you eat that? it's gross").
    I also said "What is wrong with people today and when did we lose the ability to realize that my freedom to express my views only extends to the point where it doesn't deliberately hurt others?", but I am not going to debate you @Mathsorcerer since I think we actually think very similar. Just wanted to point out that I am very much in favour of free speech itself, but I object to when people use that as an argument to be genuinely mean and disrespectful to others and still expect to be respected themselves afterwards. It's just classic bullying where you think you can get away with something as long as you are in the "crowd".

I believe humans as individuals can be one thing but something very different in groups. This we can see in riots or other type of gang behaviour where people who would not otherwise break the law alone do it when they think they can get away with as just one in a huge crowd of people. It's basic human psyche and we see it on ie soldiers committing horrendous crimes and when asked afterwards just say the got orders, or when hooligans in a crowd who are otherwise civilized humans goes bananas and brutally bash other people in fights because they wear the wrong colors and cheer for the wrong team. To me, the internet gives this same breeding ground; meaning that if too many people are talking trash and acting like douchebags, then new people joining will do the same. A culture of being a dick takes hold and to not be eaten, you start to eat others. Classic human group behaviour.

But we CAN rise above this. Humans have a gift, we can reason, we can move beyond our most basic whims and apply discipline to our actions that defy our most basic impulses. Among this is realizing that our freedom of speech ends where other people might get offended or hurt. And that's my point.

Sorry for this rambling that may be quite off-topic. Just needed to get this of my chest.

Cheers all, remain ever excellent.
    Balrog99 said:

One thing that has always amazed me about this is the way folks make it seem like they spent $1000 on these games. Good Lord people! I bought both BGEE's, SOD, and IWDEE for less money than it costs to take my family out for dinner and a movie. It's like going on a rant and flaming a restaurant for years because they cooked your steak wrong once. I don't get it...

Money spent is money spent regardless of costs. I expect something to work if I pay for it. Don't mind waiting a month or two for a patch but anything longer is a bit of a piss take.
    Balrog99 said:

Wesboi said:

Balrog99 said:

One thing that has always amazed me about this is the way folks make it seem like they spent $1000 on these games. Good Lord people! I bought both BGEE's, SOD, and IWDEE for less money than it costs to take my family out for dinner and a movie. It's like going on a rant and flaming a restaurant for years because they cooked your steak wrong once. I don't get it...

Money spent is money spent regardless of costs. I expect something to work if I pay for it. Don't mind waiting a month or two for a patch but anything longer is a bit of a piss take.
    Still don't get it. If you're that pissed about it get a refund and don't buy their product anymore. Ubisoft has pissed me off with what they did to the Heroes of Might and Magic franchise and guess what, I'm done with them. I don't go to their web-site and rant and rave about it though. I have better things to do with my time.
    Do beamdog offer refunds?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Haven't asked them. I assume so. If not, that's a reason to get angry.
    I know back in the day of buying games at stores, the policy was no refunds if the box was opened. That made me really cautious about what games to actually purchase (after being burned a few times of course!). I don't know how it works now in the digital age. I'm cautious to the point of hardly buying any games now except ones I know are good. I haven't even bought Pillars of Eternity yet even though I'm fairly sure I'd enjoy it...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    https://www.beamdog.com/about/returns

"If you do encounter an issue with one of our games, we invite you to contact support@beamdog.com; our team of experts will do their best to help you resolve the issue and get back to playing.

We are committed to fixing any issues you encounter with future patches. If you don't wish to wait for a patch and it has been less than 14 days since you purchased the game, you may ask our support team for an immediate refund. After 14 days, all sales are final."

BTW, we have discussed the return policy in the CE thread at the start of 2017. According to the legislation, Beamdog are entitled to use this return policy, so "there's no reason to get angry."
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    In all fairness, knowing the policy doesn't mean I won't get angry. I've brought home quite a few games that sucked and couldn't return them. I knew the risk but I still got mad about wasting the money. However, the whole point of my posts have been about what I feel is the over the top reactions of gamers in proportion to the amount of money spent. I got angry but I didn't picket the store or accost people at the entrance and tell them how if they buy anything from that store they're stupid!

I have no beef with Beamdog whatsoever so it's all good...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Balrog99 said:

In all fairness, knowing the policy doesn't mean I won't get angry. I've brought home quite a few games that sucked and couldn't return them. I knew the risk but I still got mad about wasting the money. However, the whole point of my posts have been about what I feel is the over the top reactions of gamers in proportion to the amount of money spent. I got angry but I didn't picket the store or accost people at the entrance and tell them how if they buy anything from that store they're stupid!

I have no beef with Beamdog whatsoever so it's all good...

I get some of the reaction. You do want to voice your displeasure in hopes that the company will at least listen and take it into consideration for the future. A company should learn more from their mistakes than from their successes.

But it is that communication that seems to be lacking on the part of the majority of users. They can just express their anger, and not explain why they are genuinely angry. People can guess, but more often than not, they guess wrong, mislabel the complainer as something they are not and that person storms off with the perception that their issues get brushed aside.

The other coin is the troll argument. It takes a handful to rile up the gullible masses and point their finger and say "it's them!" They'll find the most damning evidence, twist it to their message knowing that people won't fact check it or look deeper than what is presented to them and watch the action unfold. They'll attempt to discredit or accuse any information stating the otherwise. It's a form of power, both over the masses and companies. It's impossible to take this power away, or to delude it as people will believe whatever they want to believe. The finger right now is being pointed at Bioware and Andromeda so the rage against Beamdog isn't as bad now as if they didn't release this soon after ME:A.