Skip to content

Divinity Original Sin 2

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Can someone put it into text? I hate watching video.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited September 2017
    The video showed the Conjurer class and the Metamorph class.

Looks like the Conjurer can summon totems from the ground which can be used like walls. And then there are those so-called Incarnates thingies. Either they are miniature elementals or homunculus. No idea.

The Metamorph is your standard Transmuter. His spells temporarly alter his anatomy. Like granting him wings to fly over the battlefield, growing tentacles to grapple far away enemies or growing horns to bullrush hostiles. They can also polymorph others. That video for example showed how a Lizard Metamorph polymorphed a Dragon into a Chicken.

All of that has basically already been seen in other franchises.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Looks like the Conjurer can summon totems from the ground which can be used like walls. And then there are those so-called Incarnates thingies. Either they are miniature elementals or homunculus. No idea.

The Metamorph is your standard Transmuter. His spells temporarly alter his anatomy. Like granting him wings to fly over the battlefield, growing tentacles to grapple far away enemies or growing horns to bullrush hostiles. They can also polymorph others. That video for example showed how a Lizard Metamorph polymorphed a Dragon into a Chicken.

Metamorphs are basically going to be like Skrulls.

Thanks.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Well, the game is out! - any thoughts?

I've been so overwhelmed by the character creation options that I've barely even had a chance to explore the game itself yet.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @SharGuidesMyHand Thx for the heads up. Looks like I have a plan for tmr 8-)
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    It's awesome! I just picked one of the origin characters (Lohse as a wizard) and called it a day with the character creation.
    It took me a couple of tries to really get into D:OS1, but once I did I couldn't stop playing. From what I've played (even in the early access version) it seems like Larian have improved on nearly every aspect of the game. Most importantly, they've kept it FUN. I know Larian gets criticized some for the goofiness and light-heartedness of their games, but that to me is what makes them great...the juxtaposition of a pretty heavy story and ass-kicking difficulty with the fairy tale silliness of everything.
    The game is pretty well optimized. I'm playing on a fairly average laptop, but it runs great, even at the higher graphic settings. I get a little bit of lag when there's a bunch of stuff going on in combat in a large area, but whatever...it's turn-based so it's a minor annoyance rather than a game-breaker.
    I'm curious to hear what everyone else think of it so far...
    edited September 2017
    procco said:

It's awesome! I just picked one of the origin characters (Lohse as a wizard) and called it a day with the character creation.
    It took me a couple of tries to really get into D:OS1, but once I did I couldn't stop playing. From what I've played (even in the early access version) it seems like Larian have improved on nearly every aspect of the game. Most importantly, they've kept it FUN. I know Larian gets criticized some for the goofiness and light-heartedness of their games, but that to me is what makes them great...the juxtaposition of a pretty heavy story and ass-kicking difficulty with the fairy tale silliness of everything.
    The game is pretty well optimized. I'm playing on a fairly average laptop, but it runs great, even at the higher graphic settings. I get a little bit of lag when there's a bunch of stuff going on in combat in a large area, but whatever...it's turn-based so it's a minor annoyance rather than a game-breaker.
    I'm curious to hear what everyone else think of it so far...

Still, i Hope Larian makes a sequel to Ego Dragonis. I'm saying this because the original Divinity was a childhood favorite of mine and i want to see how Adrian's Story ends.
    edited September 2017
    I think im going to choose the Red lizard prince. Should i play like a bad boy since Lizardmen in Divinity seems like a Lawful Evil Kingdom? I'm not very fond of the ''evil Is cool and good is dumb'' mentality of some gamers.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Ok, I will be "that guy" here and ask that question: did they truly added romances as they were going to?
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Dragon wants!
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I have one question about all: Is the inventory still an unusable mess that makes you want to put your hand through the wall, your head through the desk, and the computer out the window?

I tried to get into the first Original Sin game but I couldn't beat the first superboss that summons the three previous bosses to the fight. It seemed I could just continue on with the story anyway, but at that point I had already lost interest. I quit soon after that. The plot was way too cartoonish for my tastes anyway.
    @Mirandel From what I've read there are romance options in the game but I can't confirm that.
    @scriver They did improve the inventory system. Each party member still has their own inventory, but when you open the inventory screen it shows everyone's inventory, not just the selected character's. I haven't quite figured out how the items in the crafting window are arranged, but it looks like it throws everything that can be crafted with into one window, regardless of who is actually carrying it. The crafting inventory is still not sortable, though, so that's always a challenge digging through everything. You also can't open backpacks in the crafting window (you could in D:OS:EE) so that's a bummer. Makes the packs less useful imo.
    I'm finding combat to be way more challenging in this game than the first. I've had more party wipes in the first few hours on Classic mode than I had in the entire first game. I'm not complaining, though. In the first game, you could rely on a few opening combos and sail through the rest of the fight. This game, with the magic and physical armors, forces different approaches based on the particular situation. Setting an oil slick on fire isn't a very reliable crowd control anymore, and is just as likely to backfire, pun intended...
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Everyone's raving about this, and I kind of want to give it a shot, but hated first one after I got further into it. It just felt like the devs mistook tediousness for difficulty. I got to the fight against Boreas, and the fight just keeps dragging on, and on. The whole time I'm saying to myself, "I'm not having fun anymore." I got through it, and went to fight some ice monster, and it was another slog of a fight that dragged on for almost an hour and I got him down to a sliver of health, and then he just ran away. I got sick of moving around in turn based combat, so just broke combat. I searched the whole map, didn't find him, and went back to the gate he was guarding, and he was back at full health! That's why Divinity: Original Sin is the only game I've rage quit as an adult. If you enjoy it, that's great, but if it's more of overly long tedious battles, I'll pass, and this is coming from someone who plays Civilization on marathon game lengths. If they dropped the stupid long and tedious crap, I'll pick it up.

So my question to someone that's played it, is it more of the long tedious battles once you get further in, or did they actually punch it up and make the pacing better? I'd like to play it, since I like just about everything Chris Avellone's worked on.
    I've just finished up the first act of the game and have like 30 or so hours in. @DrHappyAngry yes, the battles are still really long, probably more somthe DOS1...but I don't find them tedious at all. There's so many different things you can do in a fight to scrape through. I spent well over an hour in a boss fight, and by the end of it my characters were spread all over the island. It was kind of absurd the things the game let me get away with. Combat is a lot more difficult in this game with the addition of the armor system, but I really like the added challenge. I found myself relying on the same tactics over and over in the first game, but now I'm having to use every tool at my disposal to keep from getting wiped out by even the most mundane enemies.
    DOS2 is the best CRPG I have played for a very long time. The quality of the writing is much improved over the original game, although the VO can still grate at times.

I feel almost like it's the game Torment:ToN should have been. It rewards slow, thoughtful play, an combat is something to be avoided until you are confident you can win.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    procco said:

I've just finished up the first act of the game and have like 30 or so hours in. @DrHappyAngry yes, the battles are still really long, probably more somthe DOS1...but I don't find them tedious at all. There's so many different things you can do in a fight to scrape through. I spent well over an hour in a boss fight, and by the end of it my characters were spread all over the island. It was kind of absurd the things the game let me get away with. Combat is a lot more difficult in this game with the addition of the armor system, but I really like the added challenge. I found myself relying on the same tactics over and over in the first game, but now I'm having to use every tool at my disposal to keep from getting wiped out by even the most mundane enemies.

What difficulty setting are you playing on?
    I'm playing on Classic, which is plenty of challenge for me. I'm not the best at these sort of games...

I think im going to choose the Red lizard prince. Should i play like a bad boy since Lizardmen in Divinity seems like a Lawful Evil Kingdom? I'm not very fond of the ''evil Is cool and good is dumb'' mentality of some gamers.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Fardragon said:

DOS2 is the best CRPG I have played for a very long time. The quality of the writing is much improved over the original game, although the VO can still grate at times.

I like the VO in this game, I think it's one of the game's strongest points. But the game is so good that it's hard (for me) to name it's flaws.

Any suggestions?

You can play him as self serving or benevolently condescending. The "built in" aspect of his personality is arrogance.
    The game sold 650,000 units in Steam. Aaah, if only western crpgs could manage to go over 1,000,000.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    So I broke down and bought it, and am actually having a decent time. Got into chapter 2, but felt like I could do that better after having read more, and started over. Still kind of worried I'll hit some points that are slog further on, but the writing and story seem a lot more interesting and are doing a better job of pulling me in than the first one. I've been having a blast playing as Sebille, and glad they made rogues a lot better in this one. It does seem like mages are way nerfed from the first one, though. I don't think I've seen a game where archery's as badass, since BG1, and they actually made interesting.

Now if only they'd release the Linux version.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    The writing is a bit more serious this time around, which is probably an improvement. I like the premade characters a lot. Fane is my personal favorite. Playing as an undead is fun, and the whole "ancient scholar from a bygone age" thing immediately caught my eye. It's like if you could play as a lich in BG. Ferret Lord approves!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Now if only they'd release the Linux version.

So true. Personally I won't buy it any time soon without having native linux support. It was truly a letdown that Divinity: Original Sin 2 only came out for Windows. Heck, even the original Divinity: Original Sin had at the very least Windows and macOS support. Then they gave the enhanced edtition finally a linux port. But with 2, Laurian Studio clearly took a step backwards. In a very negative way I might add.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I tried playing Divinity Original Sin (and the enhanced edition) multiple times and just couldn't get through that first town. Anyways, for anyone like me I highly recommend Divinity Original Sins 2. It very much is an improvement over the first game.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @elminster What put you off before? What is now better?
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    elminster said:

I tried playing Divinity Original Sin (and the enhanced edition) multiple times and just couldn't get through that first town. Anyways, for anyone like me I highly recommend Divinity Original Sins 2. It very much is an improvement over the first game.

I agree. The first part - looking into homes, talking to people, stealing paintings and trying to find a murderer - can be a bit tedious, especially for someone who likes to bash skulls. Luckily, that also gives you enough money and experience to get to lvl 3 or so and get some basic gear, before you venture out the gates and get toe-to-toe with all the undead about. Rest of the game is 90% combat and exploration thought. :-)

Only played D:OS2 for a bit as a KS backer, seems ... okay.