Skip to content

Sandrah Saga For EET

Comments

• xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 186
    edited February 2021
    Stev wrote: »
    Lol. That's true. My heroic chastity might well have saved the world, or at least the game. I had gone into this thing blind, thinking any mod that added Waterdeep had to be worth at least one playthrough but ... no. It's just too bad; offensively bad. I was thinking of loading an earlier save and playing on with her, but having read through this let's play:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955996&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31

I've decided to just let her walk away in a pique, despite knowing that the famed metropolis of Waterdeep will now bar its gates to me since I am no longer in the good graces of the Sandrah. No amount of quest content and tome-selling stores could be worth putting up with this.

The term Mary Sue gets thrown around too casually these days, IMO, but Sandrah really is one, in the classical sense. A self-insert character who makes everything about her and twists the personalities of all around her such that they exist only to inflate her ego. Truly an awful mod. I feel like I would be being irresponsible not to post a warning for anyone who was tempted to play it due to the impressive scope, as I was. Don't do it. You'll regret it if you do.

The Waterdeep city from this MOD does not look that great, the first area perhaps is still "OK".. but the other areas look more like slum district...it does not look like famed metropolis...However, good area art for city could be very difficult to make...

Some quests actually are really fun, some I will consider worth experiencing at least once, but the problem is.. there are quite a lot of thing that are disturbing and make you can't really enjoy those quests...

One of the reason I played for 300 hours before giving up is, I know the author said Sandrah is not Mary Sue because she will realize someday she is not right in everything, and all her efforts at romance/love/sex backfire for her someday. In fact, I saw some hints in BG1 and SOD that she could be wrong in something most important to her. I wanted to roleplay as someone who refuse her charm, and looking forward to how she reacts once those the author said happen. I thought that would happen in SOD, when it didn't happen, I thought maybe in early BG2, after that probably in Spellhold..then Underdark...eventually I felt like this is taking forever to happen... so I started to worry it will only happen in late TOB...

So with some other reasons, gave up eventually.
  • StevStev Member Posts: 4
    Endarire wrote: »
    @Stev
    Thanks for the warning! I was seriously considering playing Sandrah Saga since it has Waterdeep, but the mod seems to be all about the self-insert wannabe goddess character.

Glad I helped. I was going to post on the something awful forum to thank the guy doing the let's play myself, but that forum seems to require you to pay to register. So if you ever read this, Vichan, thank you for enduring all that. You—and marcnivar here—saved me from what sounds like a thoroughly miserable gaming experience.
  • MidnightVoyagerMidnightVoyager Member Posts: 31
    marcnivar wrote: »
    Lol. That's true. My heroic chastity might well have saved the world, or at least the game. I had gone into this thing blind, thinking any mod that added Waterdeep had to be worth at least one playthrough but ... no. It's just too bad; offensively bad. I was thinking of loading an earlier save and playing on with her, but having read through this let's play:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955996&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31

I've decided to just let her walk away in a pique, despite knowing that the famed metropolis of Waterdeep will now bar its gates to me since I am no longer in the good graces of the Sandrah. No amount of quest content and tome-selling stores could be worth putting up with this.

The term Mary Sue gets thrown around too casually these days, IMO, but Sandrah really is one, in the classical sense. A self-insert character who makes everything about her and twists the personalities of all around her such that they exist only to inflate her ego. Truly an awful mod. I feel like I would be being irresponsible not to post a warning for anyone who was tempted to play it due to the impressive scope, as I was. Don't do it. You'll regret it if you do.

The Waterdeep city from this MOD does not look that great, the first area perhaps is still "OK".. but the other areas look more like slum district...it does not look like famed metropolis...However, good area art for city could be very difficult to make...

Some quests actually are really fun, some I will consider worth experiencing at least once, but the problem is.. there are quite a lot of thing that are disturbing and make you can't really enjoy those quests...

One of the reason I played for 300 hours before giving up is, I know the author said Sandrah is not Mary Sue because she will realize someday she is not right in everything, and all her efforts at romance/love/sex backfire for her someday. In fact, I saw some hints in BG1 and SOD that she could be wrong in something most important to her. I wanted to roleplay as someone who refuse her charm, and looking forward to how she reacts once those the author said happen. I thought that would happen in SOD, when it didn't happen, I thought maybe in early BG2, after that probably in Spellhold..then Underdark...eventually I felt like this is taking forever to happen... so I started to worry it will only happen in late TOB...

So with some other reasons, gave up eventually.

The author also says the character works in an evil party, something that doesn't really appear to be true since she gets mad if you do evil things.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited March 2021
    You know it’s bad when the modder punishes you for having the audacity to roleplay by taking an evil option by making you lose not only their self-insert, but your entire party as the biggest “f*** you” it can possibly muster.

And while I’m sort of exaggerating in the sense that it doesn’t happen for every evil action you have the false option of choosing, I know for a fact that it happens at least more than once.

Oh and while I only can sort of tell from looking at files (because no way am I ever enduring this abomination the whole way through) this can happen in the endgame. Not only are you punished for getting the evil ending by Roxanne siccing her self-insert, Elminster and several other high-level heroes on you as enemies, but she updated it at some point to delete your party at the same time, forcing you to do the (assumed hopeless) battle by yourself. Just to rub salt in your wounds.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited March 2021
    i'm glad these types of mods are so rare. most fit in the game and feel like they were always meant to be there.

i mean sure early on in baldurs gate modding you had these types. but they tended to come from the same author so you knew to avoid them.
  • VichanVichan Member Posts: 11
    @Stev
    Thanks for the warning! I was seriously considering playing Sandrah Saga since it has Waterdeep, but the mod seems to be all about the self-insert wannabe goddess character.

Glad I helped. I was going to post on the something awful forum to thank the guy doing the let's play myself, but that forum seems to require you to pay to register. So if you ever read this, Vichan, thank you for enduring all that. You—and marcnivar here—saved me from what sounds like a thoroughly miserable gaming experience.

No problem! :blush:
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited March 2021
    Inspired by your latest update, where you show her throwing the most almighty of tantrums and killing the entire party over your not saving Brage--aided by the cheapness of her, ahem, "goddess" allowing her to spam three Time Stops, Dragon's Breaths, Incendiary Cloud, and various other TOB-level abilities, all while buffing herself to near invincibility--I went and loaded my save to see it with my own eyes.
    What really gets me is that of all the encounters in the game THIS is the one where Roxanne codes herself to turn on you for being 'evil' - the one where the player could genuinely just mess up by getting the riddle wrong (amazing that all-knowing Sandrah, in fact, does not simply solve it for you) and have no choice but to defend themselves. So not only are you punished for being evil, you're punished for so much as making a mistake.

On another note, since I can't post on SA I might as well say something regarding her thoughts on paladins here since it got mentioned. I find it extremely amusing that she accuses Sirene of ruling over the player's decisions considering I can recall maybe two incidents where she takes a decision for the PC and both of them are framed as her being unable to temper her impulsive side and getting the party into some trouble as a result. And one of them was a case where vanilla NPCs already affected your choice to begin with (check bringing Valygar to Tolgarias with basically any good party member). Some might think even that's too many, but then, I was younger and didn't think things through as much back then.

Most of the time she states her opinion and leaves it at that. The only major time where she's vocally critical of the PC is when reputation drops too low because... well, she's kind of obligated to do that. And bear in mind, Sirene is apparently one of the 'better' paladins in Roxanne's POV (though only because she's a tiefling) so...
    the only times i remember Sirene overriding you are both in beragost. the silkie encounter and the bar fight.
  • ShirakShirak Member Posts: 84
    megamike15 wrote: »
    the only times i remember Sirene overriding you are both in beragost. the silkie encounter and the bar fight.

If you have Sirene or Aura in your party, you cannot take up Gallor's offer to kill Charleston Nib and his diggers for the Idol of Kozah. Either of them will automatically trigger you rejecting Gallor's offer, with Aura knocking you on the head, if I remember......
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited March 2021
    Vichan wrote: »
    @Stev

Thank you for this, I have laughed so much going over your LP thread, I think I've gone hoarse from the laughing and the "WTF?!" I've said out loud.

I like this line:
    "is kind of Roxanne in a nutshell, where she does something technically competent to do something morally garbage".
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited March 2021
    Comment removed by moderator
    Post edited by Arvia on
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    For the record, all she was worth, in the end, was a lousy 5 XP. That, at least, seems fitting.

That's still 5 XP more than most joinable NPCs.

Of course, sometimes the XP and loot has very little to do with how rewarding it feels to kill someone. To use an example from a run of mine, there was only one thing that could happen when Eldoth explained his plan to party leader Entar Silvershield.
  • VichanVichan Member Posts: 11
    Isewein wrote: »
    PS: @Vichan, it would be great if you could highlight in your LP that Sandrah is by no means represantative of BG mods in general. It would be a shame if readers are put off by this trainwreck from trying the multitude of great mods out there. Otherwise, highly entertaining LP. :D

Most of the people on the forums are BG veterans but I've addressed it here just in case. I've been enjoying the hard work of the BG community for over a decade and I'd never want to leave the impression that Sandrah Saga is in any way indicative of the overall quality of mods. :)

• MothorMothor Member Posts: 245

Inspired by your latest update, where you show her throwing the most almighty of tantrums and killing the entire party over your not saving Brage--aided by the cheapness of her, ahem, "goddess" allowing her to spam three Time Stops, Dragon's Breaths, Incendiary Cloud, and various other TOB-level abilities, all while buffing herself to near invincibility--I went and loaded my save to see it with my own eyes.

So I can confirm that she will throw all those abilities at the party even if you are still level 1 or 2 and have not yet arrived in Nashkel.

However, after several attempts, I can also confirm that she can be killed even in that most cheap of states. I kept the party split up and on the edges of the screen so that when she attacked they were ready to flee into the fog of war and break her line of sight. Then I had my level 1/1/1 Fighter/Mage/Cleric use my lone Potion of Invisibility to escape her. We ran away and waited, while sending scouts down to see how she was reacting. She just stood there, and the spells she cast--despite her breaking the rules by being able to cast them at all--stuck to the rules of the game by wearing off eventually. Then I brought the party back and we put her down like the mad dog she was, felling her with a hail of arrows, bolts and bullets.

It was Khalid who scored the killing blow, as it happens. I like to imagine his last words to her were something along the lines of, "And no, I do n-not want to cheat on my w-wife with you. Jaheira is ten times the woman you are, and far more b-beautiful."

For my part, I like to imagine my CHARNAME saying, "That was for what you did to poor Vichan, you absolute monster."

Lol. Prior to this my most satisfying gaming experience with Baldur's Gate--and possibly all games--was soloing the final fight of the Tactics mod against Amellysan and the upgraded Five. It's been over a decade, but that feeling still lingers with me. Killing god-mode Sandrah-Sue at level one hasn't supplanted it, but it was a good second place. :D

For the record, all she was worth, in the end, was a lousy 5 XP. That, at least, seems fitting.

That doesn't make sense.

Roxan...errr Sandrah DEFEATED?!

Why had not Mystra or Ao himself intervened to save her and destroyed your party? Or resurrected Rox...Sandrah and increased her stats by 100?

Roxanne must correct it in a future update.

That plus turn all of the PCs companions against the PC with even Jaheira falling for Sandrah's vile charms!!!

So much to fix... :p

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    It seems like the Sandrah Saga would be more interesting if we could skip Sandrah. Hmm. Who's up for that?
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    edited March 2021
    It seems like the Sandrah Saga would be more interesting if we could skip Sandrah. Hmm. Who's up for that?

It would still be poorly written, atrociously balanced, and tamper with other people's work without permission. I don't think there's any 'saving' this one.
    and it adds post tob content which is un needed.
  • AngulimalaAngulimala Member Posts: 82

I personally love the idea of post ToB content, which is the main reason I have tried unsuccessfully to play through this mod three times now. At this point I'd rather read someone else's playthrough than try again. Just can't get through it for a variety of reasons. I think I'm just greedy for anything that adds more content to my all time favorite game, regardless of quality. Really too bad the mod author seems to have no respect for other people's work.
    Angulimala wrote: »

I personally love the idea of post ToB content, which is the main reason I have tried unsuccessfully to play through this mod three times now. At this point I'd rather read someone else's playthrough than try again. Just can't get through it for a variety of reasons. I think I'm just greedy for anything that adds more content to my all time favorite game, regardless of quality. Really too bad the mod author seems to have no respect for other people's work.

i do to. but the mod needs to fit naturally into the world and not feel out of place.

• MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Just checking in to say that I've finished the SoA portion of my Sandrah Saga LP. I'm taking a break from things now before starting on ToB.

Huge thanks for doing it! Your PT is a very definition of "taking one for the community".
    edited July 2021
    Just checking in to say that I've finished the SoA portion of my Sandrah Saga LP. I'm taking a break from things now before starting on ToB.

I just want to say that I've been following your LP for months now and it is amazing and even (bizarrely) helped me decide to start modding myself. I just couldn't stand seeing all the awful mods you showcased and decided I *had* to do better haha.

I look forward to your TOB portion when you get to it, but you deserve a loooooong break.
    Edit to add: Oh, and Jen'lig is a beautifully written character that has everything Sandrah lacks. I'd love it if Jen'lig could be split out of the Sandrah saga and divorced entirely from it, because SOMEHOW she wound up really well-written.

I love your write up and it's so spot on. But I just wanted to single out this point. I haven't seen Jen'lig around *anywhere* outside of Sandrah Saga but I think it's pretty obviously not written by Roxanne. Roxanne shows pretty clearly that she can't actually write any character differently from one another and they all sound the exact same. Jen'lig has a completely different writing style and despite her (intentionally) broken speech, is far more comprehendible than anything Roxanne wrote herself. That's proof enough that she's not behind this character imo.

I'm wondering if at some point some modder came to her with help on their NPC mod and then later dropped out and Roxanne just took what they had and finished it. Unfortunate if so, since it locks a fairly worthwhile and would be great to have outside of this travesty.
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    edited August 2021

@Stev After a terrible experience with other Roxanne mods (Her Caelar and Corwin mods; the English dialogue is really awful; horrible grammar and blatant spelling errors), I found this thread. Worth reading through the entire thread, and your post was the perfect ending. Beautiful vengeance against BG's worst villain, Sandrah...

...and it's just so unbelievably petty that you get 5 xp for killing her, less than a Gibberling. It's like the modder is wagging her finger at you, punishing the player for not playing through the mod way she intended.
    Post edited by tl1942 on
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Vichan
    Let's not be afraid and simply laugh along. LOL!
    edited August 2021
    Excited to let everyone know that I've finished ToB in my Let's Play and that it's going to be all Sandrah content from here on out.

And by excited I mean extremely horrified.

I've been lurking your SA thread since the start and it's been a ride. You should get a medal for your service. Congratulations on enduring it to the end.
  • lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    edited August 2021
    I followed it until near the end of Beregost I believe. It became too hard to read.
    Post edited by lollers on