Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459

@Kilivitz
    I think Quarterstaves are harder than you might think to use.

I didn't mean they were easy to use. The thing is, the quarterstaff (or bo) is kind of a common weapon in eastern martial arts (which, of course, are the inspiration for the Monk class). The only reason why Monks can't use them in BG is because they didn't make any animations for it, thus, Baldur's Gate weird logic.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Kilivitz said:

@Kilivitz
    I think Quarterstaves are harder than you might think to use.

I didn't mean they were easy to use. The thing is, the quarterstaff (or bo) is kind of a common weapon in eastern martial arts (which, of course, are the inspiration for the Monk class). The only reason why Monks can't use them in BG is because they didn't make any animations for it, thus, Baldur's Gate weird logic.
    As someone who used to be proficient with a quarterstaff, they aren't that difficult. Heck, they are easier to be competent with than swords, which Monks ARE allowed to use.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited July 2017
    lroumen said:

The know alignment spell and detect evil spells only give you one axis of the alignment chart. There should be a spell that also gives indication on the other axis.

I know aTweaks has this, if interested. It changes both spells to do so.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @DJKajuru
    I like it, It's a great start.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

@DJKajuru
    I like it, It's a great start.

I might change his robe a bit and alter the Tina Turner hairstyle tomorrow , if time allows do an action scene with the party.
    edited July 2017
    @DJKajuru
    Sounds good, and I appreciate the adding of a goatee, I've always imagined him with one.

Logic:
    Game sets up a situation in each game that makes it look like Viconia is not evil, only being persecuted. Then Viconia turns out to actually be evil.

I've always thought Viconia should be True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral from the start, rather than Neutral Evil.
    Congratulations @SomeSort You are the first ever 100th comment on any of my thread, have a cookie. They are made fresh daily by Francis the Friendly Mind Flayer.

"Business has been poor what with the Iron shortage and all"

Is still able to shell infinite gold for the items you sell him and 500 each for the multitude of Winter Wolf Pelts that can be found West of Nashkel. Then if you install Unfinished Business and get the 2nd floor of the Ice Island the amount of pelts you have becomes absurd.

Seriously, has anyone ever thought that CHARNAME must be solely responsible for the reason why some monsters aren't in BG2? (ie. very few Ankhegs, one winter wolf, no basilisks)

Not that anyone is going to miss them, but CHARNAME sure has committed a lot of genocide.

Speaking of Genocide, how about that Xvart Village.

Xvarts: Attack Party
    Xvart: You kill us when we do nothing to you
    Zaram: *sigh* I've had enough of this crap, DORN!
    Dorn: Kill them?
    Zaram: Kill them
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I figured it was because you actually do not go into the random wilderness in bg2 as you do in bg1 (one reason I think bg2 is inferior to bg1).

Added to that some creatures are not indigenous to amn. It's not like there are illithid around the sword coast, not to mention kua toa, dragons or drow.

Bg2 logic also allows rangers to take ettins as racial enemy, but as far as i can recall you only have a chance to meet 1 in the whole of bg2.
    @AndreaColombo
    Perhaps not, but annoying or not they are innocent people. However I don't think anyone can argue that nobody is going to miss most of the scumbags in the Copper Coronet.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    ...just how do you know the three of them aren't wanted criminals?
    @DreadKhan
    Wanted criminals hanging around to chat? Unlikely. No those three are simply normal peasants that the other peasants don't like.
    I never said intelligent criminals. ;)
    @Grond0
    The only way Neera could Fireball before Level 5 is if a wild surge resulted in a fireball. When Neera lists a fireball as a skill, it implies that she can do it semi-reliably, which is false advertising. Then again, Neera is Chaotic Neutral so she's not exactly above lying.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    It is clearly a bluff to get into the player party. She is being hunted and all...
    Party Chunks Saemon Havarian

Five seconds later he is swimming away
    @Sunder
    I could see Keldorn being Lawful Neutral, but I still think he fits Lawful Good. The Cowled Wizards and Drow are typically evil, and while it's ignorant to naturally assume they are all evil and deserve to die it isn't neccesarily evil to think so.

Keldorn is the perfect example of an Inquistor. He unleashes judgement first and foremost but will always be around to defend the innocent and will not simply uphold justice if it means the suffering of others whereas a Lawful Neutral character would.

I would argue that Inquistor in general should have a Lawful Neutral option however.
    The Cowled Wizards would verge on illegitimate authority to Keldorn, since they aren't Nobility, and thus should be living not as evil wizards but as contented dirt farmers. ;)
    Dorn, CHARNAME and co aren't smited by the gods themselves for basically going to heaven, erasing their names from a book of judgement and replace it and then brutally murdering two Silver Dragons before (albeit unknowingly) bringing about the near ascension of a mad priestess to the Throne of Blood.