Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @ThacoBell
    Like I said, the only way it would happen is through a wild surge.

Nahal's Reckless Dweomer can still only cast spells that the wizard knows, unless one of the rolls on the wild surge is a fireball, which I'm sure it is.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    ThacoBell said:

@Grond0
    The only way Neera could Fireball before Level 5 is if a wild surge resulted in a fireball. When Neera lists a fireball as a skill, it implies that she can do it semi-reliably, which is false advertising. Then again, Neera is Chaotic Neutral so she's not exactly above lying.

Nahal's Reckless Dweomer
    What happens if we exclude every single spell from Neera's spellbook but NRD and AHW?

Would she always cast that as a level one spell?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Try the print screen button...
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    DreadKhan said:

Horses despite not being as strong can plough faster than oxen. Not as certain about bulls, which have also been used in some areas, but have their more agressive natures.

I was thinking more along the lines of horses being more expensive than oxen and thus not many commoners would have one.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Balrog99 said:

DreadKhan said:

Horses despite not being as strong can plough faster than oxen. Not as certain about bulls, which have also been used in some areas, but have their more agressive natures.

I was thinking more along the lines of horses being more expensive than oxen and thus not many commoners would have one.
    Sure, a trained fighting horse would be, but an old plough horse? I don't think they'd take a rider without retraining. Certainly could be cheaper to get an ox though, never seen records to compare!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    lroumen said:

This has never worked for me on any computer I have owned.
    lroumen said:

I don't have a printer (at least, one that works)

Imoen dual classes at Level 2 in Baldur's Gate 1. Is somehow a Level 7 thief again in BG2
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited July 2017
    The print screen button is not intended to print anything (at least on modern computers), but to take a screenshot. If you press the print screen button while in the game it will create a screenshot and put it in a sub-folder "ScrnShot" to your game folder, e.g. in mine the file path to BGEE is C:\Users\Matthew\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\ScrnShot
    The screenshot made by the game is a bitmap image, which is memory intensive. I would suggest it's thus good practice to change images to jpeg before posting to the Forum. That makes a major difference to page loading times for people viewing posts with lots of images.

If you use windows then pressing the print screen button also puts a copy of the screen image into working memory. You can then paste that image (using ctrl+v) into any program that handles images, e.g. paint.
    Maybe I should change the name of this board to Baldur's Gate Logic and cool insights, I kid of course but by all means keep up the cool insights.

Here's a cool update from me btw: I just defeated Vogenthe for the very first time!
    Big Metal Unit+Beserk+Magic Resistance+Greater Whirlwind is a great combo

I had to reload a couple times before I got it right though, that Sphere of Chaos has a bad habit of chunking my party members.

It was a nice change of pace from my earlier failure today in which I defeated Draconis only to have Aerie get accidentally chunked by Chan.
    edited July 2017
    @Zaghoul
    He probably WAS immune to backstab. However the sword that Cyric used to kill him was called Godsbane and was actually the avatar of Mask (another God) so it probaby circumvented that immunity and killed him dead anyway. Cyric knows what he's doing, he's very clever and if you read a little bit into D&D lore has a bad habit of killing other gods (Bhaal, The 2nd Mystra, and possibly even Helm) though most of these gods eventually came back in one way or another.

Edit: Helm was actually killed by Tyr over a misunderstanding that Cyric is suspected to have caused. Cyric enjoys doing stuff like that.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @ZaramMaldovar Ahh yes, Mask, well, I spect that WOULD do the trick. B)
    @Zaghoul
    Yes I quite enjoy the lore that Cyric became a god by stabbing a god with another god.

Epilogue Logic: Sarevok has the same epilogue regardless of whether he was redeemed or not.
    Thieves Guild Logic: Ravenscar will tell the party "You have been here only a few days and yet you have made quite the impression" despite the fact that party has been in Baldur's Gate for less than an in-game hour.

Many complete strangers will sit idly by while you barge into and wander around their house, unless you open a drawer in which case they will call the guards.

Rest in a secluded corner of the city at night when nobody is watching? Soldier Ex Machina to tell you to wake up.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

@Grond0
    The only way Neera could Fireball before Level 5 is if a wild surge resulted in a fireball. When Neera lists a fireball as a skill, it implies that she can do it semi-reliably, which is false advertising. Then again, Neera is Chaotic Neutral so she's not exactly above lying.

Can you scribe Fireball and NRD it at level 1? My knowledge of Wild Mages is lacking, since I avoid wild mage casting like the plague. I took Neera the whole of BG1EE without having her cast 1 spell.
    @Quickblade
    Of course, you can in theory scribe any spell in, but you still won't be able to cast it until you reach that level.
  • SunderSunder Member Posts: 56

@Quickblade
    Of course, you can in theory scribe any spell in, but you still won't be able to cast it until you reach that level.

This is incorrect. NWD allows the wild mage to cast ANY know spell regardless of level unless something has changed. Thus, Neera can indeed cast fireball......just not so reliably.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I'm pretty sure Bhaal's avatar was quite superhuman, and able to ignore all kinds of stuff, so I'd be very shocked if he wasn't immune, but yeah, Godsbane certainly does a number on Gods. Cyric included, driven nuttier than a fruitcake and nearly found innocent!

...I read too many FR books in my youth.
    edited July 2017
    @Sunder
    I stand (or rather sit) corrected then

Several NPCs (such as Garrick, Edwin or Tiax) will only vaguely remember CHARNAME despite traveling with him for possibly months.

Baeloth doesn't recognize CHARNAME right away, despite literally leaving the party only a couple of weeks ago.

Coran however, will instantly recognize CHARNAME regardless of whether he traveled with him or not.

Also does anyone else think Coran's alignment should be Chaotic Neutral?

@DreadKhan Yeah they don't call Cyric the Mad God for no reason.
    @DreadKhan
    Yeah although I feel that technically he could have gotten away with and still been Chaotic Good ("Good" is flexible especially in the case of Chaotic Good characters) if it weren't for his motives seeming to be profit and glory rather than helping out the Sword Coast on top of his abandonment of his child and then heap on his personality in general and you get someone who just doesn't fit the bill of Chaotic Good. I still end up feeling bad for him about the bloody ending to his romance with Safana.

Anyway back to logic, how about this one?
    Time Stop
    Meteor Swarm
    Gate

CHARNAME and co. hang back and watch as (insert mage here) accidentally kills himself.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @ZaramMaldovar: SCS doesn't add or subtract stuff based on the difficulty setting, but the difficulty of SCS is very much customizable, as you can choose which components to install.

If you're starting out with SCS, a good way to keep the difficulty moderate would be to either install only the general AI improvements and calls for help, and not install anything else. If you want to go a little further than that, you might install most everything, except for a few of the toughest options:

1. The vampire component
    2. The beholder component
    3. Instant spellcasting for dragons, demons, celestials, and genies
    4. HLAs for enemy spellcasters
    5. Automatic pre-buffing for enemy spellcasters
    6. Ascension fights (Throne of Bhaal stuff)
    7. Spellcasting demiliches
    8. Anything else that improves fights that you've found difficult in the past.

One of the best parts of SCS is how customizable it is. If you only install the basic stuff, then the game won't be too much tougher than the original game; the enemies will just avoid the stupid mistakes they used to make. If you install everything, the game is astoundingly difficult.
    @semiticgod
    Spellcasting Demiliches?
    So Szass Tam then? I kid of course he clearly isn't a demilich but he's just as if not more powerful than most of them.

Game Logic:
    Game will not allow you to keep Edwin and Neera in the same party due to her hating red wizards in general.
    However Minsc who has a personal reason to hate Edwin specifically (i.e. Edwin's attempts to kill Dynaheir in the past, especially so considering Dynaheir is dead and Minsc is convinced Edwin had something to do with it) and Edwin can be in the same party.