Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

@ZaramMaldovar: SCS doesn't add or subtract stuff based on the difficulty setting, but the difficulty of SCS is very much customizable, as you can choose which components to install.

If you're starting out with SCS, a good way to keep the difficulty moderate would be to either install only the general AI improvements and calls for help, and not install anything else. If you want to go a little further than that, you might install most everything, except for a few of the toughest options:

1. The vampire component
    2. The beholder component
    3. Instant spellcasting for dragons, demons, celestials, and genies
    4. HLAs for enemy spellcasters
    5. Automatic pre-buffing for enemy spellcasters
    6. Ascension fights (Throne of Bhaal stuff)
    7. Spellcasting demiliches
    8. Anything else that improves fights that you've found difficult in the past.

One of the best parts of SCS is how customizable it is. If you only install the basic stuff, then the game won't be too much tougher than the original game; the enemies will just avoid the stupid mistakes they used to make. If you install everything, the game is astoundingly difficult.

Is there a way to only buff the weaker mobs in the game? Random wolves and kobolds could use some buffing, but I'm not so good at the game that improved AI on tougher encounters wouldn't instantly murder me.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    edited July 2017
    @ThacoBell
    I am unsure.

I now have a list of mods I'm planning on reinstalling (since new versions have been released) and I need help ordering them
    All for BG1
    1. NPC Project
    2. NPC Project Music
    3. BG Mini Quests and Encounters
    4. BG Unfinished Business
    5. SCS

Edit:
    6. BG:EE Classic Movies

Elminster Logic: CHARNAME is pure evil and well on his way to annihilating everything and Elminster just sits back and lets it happen. I suppose he must have been busy with something bigger at the moment?

Edit @Thacobell has helped me out I no longer need help ordering my mods, BACK TO LOGIC!
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Actually, don't Minsc and Edwin come to blows if you keep them both in the party?

As an aside, since we're talking mods, did anybody try aTWEAKS without SCS? How tough did you find it?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @AndreaColombo I had to uninstall some of aTWEAKS because demons were basically invincible. At will teleport, mirror image, haste, and one other buff I didn't recognize? No thanks, dispel didn't work because every time they would port away, refresh their defenses, and come back. This cycle repeated 5 times before I gave up.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208

Actually, don't Minsc and Edwin come to blows if you keep them both in the party?

Yes, there is a strong probability they will have a dialogue at some point which ends with them leaving the party and fighting to the death.

So they say, but it never happened to me.

Sarevok the Genius Part 3: Hold out on info on the off chance that CHARNAME won't be willing to die to keep me from coming back or to spite me. Then hope I can teleport away fast enough that he doesn't set off that Contingency of Finger of Deaths he has waiting for me.

edited July 2017
    @Montresor_SP
    I RESENT THAT? DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I have spent my entire life dedicated...well ok *dedicated* is a strong word, to learinng the art of setting things on fire. I'm not afraid of dragons or giants or gods.

And if I'M not enough my girlfriend can basically do anything with her magic, my best friend is an evil-kicking machine with a space hamster. I've got a drow cleric, my sister's a pretty good mage too AND she has a thieves guild.

And then there's Dorn...don't even get me started on Dorn. He's just WAITING for an excuse to kill something and torment it's soul for all eternity.

Still think I'm a pushover? Still want to challenge me? I didn't think so.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Hey @ZaramMaldovar , I got late on your character because I'm on a cruise right now , but I assure that you'll get your wildling!
    @DJKajuru
    Not exactly a Wilding, but I like that interpretation (especially since his wife is Neera and is party alignment is all over the place) take all the time you need.

Also who would like to see a Fanfiction adaption of the game series with Zaram as the main character?

Solar Logic:
    Simply tells Mellisan that now isn't the time for conflict when she threatens CHARNAME instead of actually making an effort to stop her from killing CHARNAME right then and there when Mellisan has proven she is willing to usurp the will of Gods (i.e Bhaal) in order to gain power.

Seriously, do you think Mellisan cares what Ao thinks? Usurping the will of gods is the real reason Mellisan got the fate she did, not her defeat at the hands of CHARNAME.

Cyric tries to usurp the gods all the time, but he knows what he's doing. Mellisan dares to say it outright and expects not to get punished for it.

Mellisan might have been smart enough to come up with a plan to take over from Bhaal, but she isn't wise enough to realize that speaking about her plans in the open is a bad idea.

Cyric was probably itching to kill her himself and went mad(der) when the gods stopped him from interfering.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Yeah, but a genius should realize he has very very little to gain by fighting the PC, to say nothing of staying within city limits where he is now stuck as a troglodyte!

Sarevok the Genius - having successfully caught Gorion's ward in an ambush, he wastes time offering Gorion an opportunity to save his life when he could just have had Angelo kill him with 1 autohit Arrow of Detonation. Obviously Charname just walks away at a comfortable pace, surviving to rventually kill Sarevok.
    I don't think Sarevok really needed to fight Charname just then. If he had taken advantsge of his head start, he probably could have escaped. Waiting to ambush the person that just ruined your planned massacre of the rulers of a city-state by itself isn't very rational, but its not like Charname is all the Flamming Fist can field, so Sarevok needed to leave either way.

Maybe this is his low wisdom acting up?

Gorion Logic: Makes it his life's work to raise Charname, including spending years being visited by high level adventurer's including 2 epic wizards, yet get nothing but ~120 gold to help Charname survive.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Sarevok the Genius - having successfully caught Gorion's ward in an ambush, he wastes time offering Gorion an opportunity to save his life when he could just have had Angelo kill him with 1 autohit Arrow of Detonation. Obviously Charname just walks away at a comfortable pace, surviving to rventually kill Sarevok.

That's another Powerword: plot-armour. ;) But seriously, I think you are right about that one.
    That's the thing though
    Sarevok's Wisdom is 12. That's hardly low, in fact it's slightly above average. Terrbile for a cleric (looking at you, pre-trials Anomen) but relatively good for someone who isn't one.

However, Sarevok is Chaotic Evil so occasionally he'll get madder the closer he gets to his goal.

Rage is a great tool in lowering someone's natural wisdom score.

Also does anyone think Anomen's wisdom score should go down when his alignment changes to Chaotic Neutral? How far is up to you, but I think it makes perfect sense.
    Irenicus hunts down and steals the soul of CHARNAME instead of one of the Five. So long as he doesn't take Illasera's soul, he'll be fine. Irenicus has proven he is a master maniupulator, he can easily get one of the five into a trap and take their essence, it would probably serve him better.

Gorion, a high level mage, does not teleport to the Friendly Arm Inn even after he left the anti-teleportation wards of Candlekeep. He also doesn't turn Charname or himself invisible when Sarevok attacks.

Bounty Hunters loudly announce their identity and attack you in broad daylight instead of biding their time and striking when you're asleep or off-guard.

Caelar asks you to join her after she sends assassins after you, instead of before.

What about that sneaky jerk Tarnesh? He definately catches you a bit, if you don't have auto-pause. Actually, several Bounty Hunter groups do try to figure out who you are, so they don't massacre innocents... a bit ironic actually, when my solos open up things with a bead from the One Gift Lost! The perils of being a compassionate bounty hunter never end!

PC Logic: Due to meta-knowledge, I know who's out to get me, so I know which NPCs to mercilessly fireball to death before looting their smoking corpse, and, which to chat up. Oh, and I'm a Paladin. o:)
    Killing Nimbul to the Extreme

For best results:
    Step 1: Click on the one grave in Nashkel that mentions a guy "holding his tongue"
    Step 2: Wait for the guy to yell at you
    Step 3: Click on it
    Step 4: Phoenix Guards!
    Step 5: Kentucky Fried Nashkel
    edited July 2017
    @subtledoctor
    You just made Kangaxx *way* more awesome, thank you.

I'm sure Kangaxx is more than willing to part with a reasonably powerful artifact (he probably has tons more) and then hope he doesn't cross paths with the significantly more powerful CHARNAME again in the future.

Kangaxx is smart, he won't mess with people he can't beat again, he'll stick to gaining power and knowledge like most liches. Oh and playing to take over the world.

Though I bet Szass Tam could give him a run for his money.

Update: This thread has now reached 2K views. Thanks everybody!
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    What makes you say that? Charname doesn't actually destroy any lich phylacteries in BG2. Meaning, Charname doesn't actually kill any liches in BG2.

Okay, this is my headcannon from now on. Suddenly it makes sense why liches would be roaming around some dungeons with no clear purpose - if their phylacteries are safe, then why not?