Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

tbone1 said:

Keeping around a rabbit foot gives you some of the best bonuses of any item in the game, yet for some reason Alora is the only person who has thought to use one. Did you know that if Alora had multiple rabbit feet equipped, the effects would stack? So why doesn't everyone go on rabbit killing sprees for all the feet? I'm surprised rabbits haven't gone extinct in the Forgotten Realms.

Rabbits do not give up their feet easily. See the excellent documentary "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" for an example of this.

Well certainly THAT rabbit doesn't give up its feet easily, but none of the rabbits you encounter in Baldur's Gate are nearly as dangerous as the one from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. For example, the rabbits in Siege of Dragonspear have 1 HP, 3 Strength, 3 Dexterity and 3 Constitution. They are unarmed; they have no vorpal teeth or anything. Using NearInfinity, I found that there are a total of 24 of these rabbits in SoD just in the areas of the world that you go to. That's 48 rabbit feet, for a total of +96 AC, +96 saving throws, +96 luck and +480% thief skills.

I did discover that there are other rabbits in these games (namely the rabbits in BG2 areas and the ones summoned by Limited Wish) that have 20 Strength. However, these rabbits still only have 3 HP and are unarmed, so they're still easy to kill.
    Do you really think a mundane, weak rabbit's foot has a +2 luck bonus though?
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited July 2017
    I figger they are from a special type of yet unknown magical rabbits. ;) They were sometimes associated with magic in times past.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    "I expect great things from you, Mr. Potter. GREAT things. After all, He Who Must not be Named did great things, terrible....but great"- Ollivander.

I think this quote pretty much sums up Tethtoril's mood

How about this one:

If Imoen is left in Spellhold, she magically finds her way back to Athkatla by Chapter 6.
    However all other NPCs regardless of capability will be trapped in Spellhold for all eternity.
    Any Ideas for a 100th discussion thread? I already have 95 of them so I'm simply planning ahead.

Tiax Logic:
    Sees himself as a Chosen of Cyric....has no problem with you killing other followers of Cyric for no good reason. Now I know Tiax is Chaotic Evil and all, but if there is one thing Tiax has going for him, it's loyalty to his god. Not that Cyric would probably care that Tiax is aiding someone in killing his followers (although CHARNAME being a Bhaalspawn might effect it), but that's one less follower that the only being that Tiax sees as above him has, wouldn't that be an issue for him?
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited July 2017

Any Ideas for a 100th discussion thread? I already have 95 of them so I'm simply planning ahead.

Tiax Logic:
    Sees himself as a Chosen of Cyric....has no problem with you killing other followers of Cyric for no good reason. Now I know Tiax is Chaotic Evil and all, but if there is one thing Tiax has going for him, it's loyalty to his god. Not that Cyric would probably care that Tiax is aiding someone in killing his followers (although CHARNAME being a Bhaalspawn might effect it), but that's one less follower that the only being that Tiax sees as above him has, wouldn't that be an issue for him?

Heh, well, I reckon Tiax figgers that if it ain't Tiax, it's not worth anything Even other followers will have to 'polish his boots' in his mind, as HE will rule all, I am thinking.

Plus he is off his rocker, so to speak. ;)

Hmm, yeah, would seem like Cyric would not want to aid Bhaalspawn, but maybe keeping a close eye on them and perhaps leading them astray might be called for.
    @batoor
    I don't think the game does though, the game gives several hints that the Hooded Man is evil just from his dialogue. It can stand to reason that CHARNAME simply doesn't see Irenicus an immediate threat until the end of SOD
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited July 2017

@batoor
    I don't think the game does though, the game gives several hints that the Hooded Man is evil just from his dialogue. It can stand to reason that CHARNAME simply doesn't see Irenicus an immediate threat until the end of SOD

Spoiler tags might be redundant in this thread, but since it's about key elements of SoD..Why not^^
    Perhaps not just Irenicus himself. But are you telling me that gaining knowledge that Hephernan and the hooded man not only are affiliated, but their topic of conversation is you and how you belong to Hephernans mysterious master, wouldn't raise a few alarm bells in how your character reacted in future encounters?

• ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I think every self-respecting hero would immediately assume that Hooded Man is a threat after first encounter, back in Duchal Palace.
    @Artona
    Oh I never said he wasn't a threat, just not an immediate one. The Crusade is of more immediate concern. But I wise man would definitely keep an eye out.

@batoor
    I think I figured out these spoiler tags now, though I don't know how often I'll use them. Irenicus is most definitely NOT affiliated with Hephernan, but that cutscene does give you the idea that both of them are definitely threats

BG2 Chapter 7 Logic:
    Actually makes giving everything to the dragon in exchange for the goblet an option and then allows the player to suffer the consequences. Actually kinda hillarious when you think about it.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Arunsun said:

It took Elminster 1100+ years of epic adventuring, thwarting evil schemes - even that of gods, at times- to reach level 29. It took Edwin a year with Charname to reach level 31.

Well, Elminster did spend much of that time with his pipe.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    If you know what I mean.
    @Arunsun
    Elminster was listed originally as Level 29 because it was considered one of the highest levels conceivable at the time, Elminster's actually level is most likely significantly higher. Edwin could reach Level 31 and STILL get his rump handed to him by Elminster and if you read his epilogue, that's exactly what happened.

Szass Tam's level is also around listed as around 29 but seeing his tactics and repertoire he similarly has a much higher level than he thought. In the books he was also defeated by Elminster, but he wasn't an easy fight.

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

@Arunsun
    Elminster was listed originally as Level 29 because it was considered one of the highest levels conceivable at the time, Elminster's actually level is most likely significantly higher. Edwin could reach Level 31 and STILL get his rump handed to him by Elminster and if you read his epilogue, that's exactly what happened.

Szass Tam's level is also around listed as around 29 but seeing his tactics and repertoire he similarly has a much higher level than he thought. In the books he was also defeated by Elminster, but he wasn't an easy fight.

Actually levels depend on the edition of the rules you use. But no matter the edition Elminster is never higher level than 29, which is also his level in 2E (the set of rules BG uses) , while Larloch, for example, is level 26 in 2E, and 32 in 3E
    Karsus and Iolaum were level 41 but I guess they don't really count. And Irenicus was level 30.
    Levels higher than 29 existed in 2E, but Elminster hadn't reached that. The reason why he was so powerful in combat and able to overcome even stronger mages is because he is very smart, knows how to use every resource he has, and also because he is a Chosen of Mystra
    @Arunsun
    Oh no I'm well aware of that, however I'm not convinced that the textbook levels for certain characters are entirely accurate based on their exploits. Elminster and Szass Tam's level should be MUCH higher than simply 29.

Drizzt? Level 16? That's absurdly inaccurate despite being the set 2nd edition level for him.

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

If you know what I mean.

(Man, I loved The Tick and Batmanuel.)
    Loving this debate, though I didn't expect it to go this far.
    SOD Logic:
    Let's force Tales of the Sword Coast to not be canon by specifically mentioning the Soultaker Dagger having had Skie's soul trapped inside despite it being destroyed during the events of BG1.