Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Ballad
    If I remember correctly from my 5 minutes of Planescape: Torment bandages only heal 3 hp.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Also everyone, underdark included, share the same currency
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    @Ballad
    If I remember correctly from my 5 minutes of Planescape: Torment bandages only heal 3 hp.

And I'd imagine those bandages are a bit more heavy duty than the Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages we think of today.

Baldur's Gate economics are weird but I don't have a hard time imagining that Magic All Purpose Healing Fluid costs a pretty penny.
    @Chronicler
    Elixir of Health is magical all purpose healing fluid. Health potions only heals wounds
    @ZaramMaldovar

Mechanically, health potions seem to heal anything that would translate into a loss of HP, which seems to be most things.

A health potion won't cure your poison, like an elixir of health would, but it will still undo all the damage that poison has done to your body.

I don't know if that's how it works in lore though. The general premise of the health potion seems to be that you can take it adventuring and it'll undo any damage you recieve. It's not like you need a different potion depending on whether you've been burned by a fireball or clawed by something nasty and undead.
    Helm never really seems like he should be neutral. Maybe it's just me but all the followers you ever meet are die hard lawful good paladin types.

For ages the only way I could remember which was the good and which was the neutral cleric kit was by checking the character selection screen.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Oh yeah, "honorable" Helm. Killing the god of Justice and all that. One of my least favorite deities in the setting.
    @ThacoBell
    Technically he was tricked into doing that by Cyric.
    @ThacoBell
    Technically he was tricked into doing that by Cyric.

So Helm decided Cyric, the god of lies, was more trustworthy than Tyr, the god of justice? That does not reflect on him any better.
    @ThacoBell
    Ok technically nobody can prove that Cyric had anything to do with it but either way he didn't just convince him outright he screwed with Helms mind.

But I'm not denying that Helm is terrible. Most LN people are. The alignment is extreme.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    But I'm not denying that Helm is terrible. Most LN people are. The alignment is extreme.
    when i find LN people in RL i am really frightened :D

• ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    edited August 2019
    I enjoy the concept of LN Kelemvor was while cursed before becoming a god. He wasn't so much beholden to the law structure of the land, but rather the mercenary code: Do nothing without payment. Do anything for payment.

Edit: spelling
    Ok I have feeling that the thread is veering in a dangerous direction. Let's get back on track.

Pre EE Trilogy Logic: Imoen can reach Level 10 as a Thief. Goes back down to Level 7 at the start of BG2.
    @Balrog99
    A magic portal provided by Daveaorn perhaps?
    Maybe the tunnel cuts straight thorugh diificult rocky terrain. Walking straight through, as opposed to over or around.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    edited August 2019
    Ballad wrote: »
    Baldur's Gate economics are weird as well.

A night in a royal room costs 8 gp.
    A potion of healing costs 106gp.

Can you imagine spending two weeks in a 5-star hotel suite for the price of a band-aid?

Don't you only get fully healed on rest if one of your characters has healing spells? I think the default for parties without a cleric or other healer is only 1 pt per 8 hours. Not sure if the fancier rooms improve that rate, as I always have a cleric in the party.
    @Maurvir Yeah, the more expensive rooms heal a little bit of extra.
    Maurvir wrote: »
    Ballad wrote: »
    Baldur's Gate economics are weird as well.

A night in a royal room costs 8 gp.
    A potion of healing costs 106gp.

Can you imagine spending two weeks in a 5-star hotel suite for the price of a band-aid?

Don't you only get fully healed on rest if one of your characters has healing spells? I think the default for parties without a cleric or other healer is only 1 pt per 8 hours. Not sure if the fancier rooms improve that rate, as I always have a cleric in the party.

I think maybe you've been confused by the "Rest until Fully Healed" option.

Rest Until Fully Healed does exactly what it says on the tin. When you press that button you don't stop resting until you're all good.

While your characters will cast any healing spells they have left when you rest, a single cast of Cure Light Wounds isn't gonna take a near dead party back to full health or anything.
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    According to this thread, rooms heal 1-4 hp per 8 hours depending on which room you spring for

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/6943/does-paying-more-for-a-room-at-an-inn-let-you-recover-more-hp-on-resting
    According to this thread, rooms heal 1-4 hp per 8 hours depending on which room you spring for

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/6943/does-paying-more-for-a-room-at-an-inn-let-you-recover-more-hp-on-resting

So the best room costs 8 times as much, and provides 4 times as much healing.

Probably a pretty solid deal for an adventurer, considering most people probably don't rent the royal suite for its healing properties. They've clearly taken some effort to accommodate the weary adventurer hoping to rest in comfort while their body recovers from their dangerous work.

You'd still get more healing by just sleeping in the 1 Gold Suite 8 times though, if you have the time for that. Nothing the inn provides quite matches the sheer healing power of time.
    @Chronicler
    And with all the money the adventurers are spending, the Inn can afford to clean all the blood stains they left behind.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @PsicoVic: I think it's the CDTweaks mod that offers to add a low reputation discount, using that reasoning.
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    I do not know if somebody said this before, but we really need to talk about the reputation and the merchants in Baldur´s gate.
    So, I understand if you are a merchant and you want to lower your prizes to those good souls that saved the land from impending disaster and kitties from trees several times.
    But, If you are a merchant and then enters a spawn of baal, killer of dozens of Flaming Fists, armor made of the skin of dead dryads, weapons stained in fresh blood, a reputation of killing grannies that look at him funny and eat baby unicorns for breakfast... Are you really going to charge him double price in your sales?

I don't think the reputation is supposed to be a scale from fame to infamy.

It's just how well liked you are, in general.

If you have a reputation of 1 it says you're like "Despised" or something like that. Not Legendary or Feared or A Harbinger of Coming Darkness or anything like that. They just very strongly don't like you.

Similarly on the other end I don't think it's anything as pragmatic as "This guy keeps saving the sword coast, so I'll give him a discount on the swords he uses to keep my business afloat". They just think you're a really stand-up guy.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited August 2019
    Usually, the police (or the flaming fists) does not hunt you because they do not like you, they chase you because you did some pretty awful things ( or they framed you to kill some CEOs). If that was the case Brie Larson will be in Jail right now.

But yeah,@Chronicler I think you´re right: the merchants overcharged you because they simply do not like you.